I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m going to get another card since I can open a new BMO account in 6 days and can’t use Amex. I’m spacing out Chase so I was thinking of the Citi American Airlines Buisness. I didn’t see any support links on Reddit. Does Citi not have support links? Any other Business Card suggestions that aren’t Chase or Amex?

A question about the BMO account - I did a quick search and it looks like the limit is $1,000 (per account, checking and savings). Also, some cards seem to code this as a cash advance (I realize you can call the card company and have the cash advance limit set very low, but if it codes as a cash advance and gets rejected because of the low limit then the credit card funding is defeated). Is this current info?

A question about the BMO account - I did a quick search and it looks like the limit is $1,000 (per account, checking and savings). Also, some cards seem to code this as a cash advance (I realize you can call the card company and have the cash advance limit set very low, but if it codes as a cash advance and gets rejected because of the low limit then the credit card funding is defeated). Is this current info?

Yeah, it would be rejected if the cash advance limit is under 1000. You can fund up to 3k. 1k for savings 1k for checking 1k for money market. Doctor of credit has lots of DPs for it counting as a purchase for various cards. https://www.doctorofcredit.com/does...unt-as-a-purchase-or-cash-advance/#BMO_Harris. Obviously, things can change so if you set your cash advance limit low it won’t go through and you can try a different bank.

Also, visa and MasterCard have a lot of options to fund banks. Amex is limited now that BMO is gone. I found some local credit unions that I’ll try later this week.

Hi. I'm a long-time lurker on the boards, but I haven't posted before.

I thought I was doing ok with the Southwest card and the Disney card, but now I feel like Dorothy when she first stepped into Oz. I had no idea it was possible to travel like that. It's a bit intimidating and I'm glad I found this group.

I'm in single player mode and am currently 4/24:
8/17: BOA (no rewards, what was I thinking?)
9/17: SW
3/18: CS
3/18: CF

I don't have any current travel goals, but I'm sure reading this thread will give me a lot of great ideas.

I've decided to venture into business cards, but am a little hesitant since I only have a "business". I'll apply for the SPG biz card this week and then try for the CIP.

I thought for my fifth slot I could double dip a Marriott and a CF, or maybe the Hyatt card. I'm not sure about that yet, but I'll have time to figure it out. Any suggestions?
Hey - welcome! I see many others have already provided some great advice. Just wanted to say that both me and my wife started in this game focused in disney cards and SW cards so it’s a great starting point. :)

I’m going to get another card since I can open a new BMO account in 6 days and can’t use Amex. I’m spacing out Chase so I was thinking of the Citi American Airlines Buisness. I didn’t see any support links on Reddit. Does Citi not have support links? Any other Business Card suggestions that aren’t Chase or Amex?
No support links for Citi. Thanks for checking ;)

Yeah, it would be rejected if the cash advance limit is under 1000. You can fund up to 3k. 1k for savings 1k for checking 1k for money market. Doctor of credit has lots of DPs for it counting as a purchase for various cards. https://www.doctorofcredit.com/does...unt-as-a-purchase-or-cash-advance/#BMO_Harris. Obviously, things can change so if you set your cash advance limit low it won’t go through and you can try a different bank.

Also, visa and MasterCard have a lot of options to fund banks. Amex is limited now that BMO is gone. I found some local credit unions that I’ll try later this week.

Thanks. I don't know why opening multiple banking accounts freaks me out a lot more than opening credit cards. But between the bonuses for opening a new account and the credit card funding, I am going to have to give it some more thought.

I got an instant denial from Citi! They are sending me a letter in 7-10 days. I may recon. I don’t think I broke any of their rules, but maybe I did.

I’ve got the same situation as Wendow. My SB app shows me as Gold (although I didn’t get any kind of email about Gold status), but I have not received any bonus stars, and my rewards count is still at 1, which is where it was before I used the offer. I’ll give it the five days (since I just used the offer yesterday) and contact SB customer service if the stars don’t show up. Thanks for the link, Lain.

I was thinking the same in that I would give it the full five days before I contact. Pretty sure they will take care of it easily for us!

Thanks for mentioning all of this as I 100% agree :) I will echo your comment with some thoughts:
  • Keep track and if you hit the max “support” remove your link
  • If you cancel the card remove your link
  • Reddit threads lock after 6 months so we will have to refresh the “support” threads soon which will require everybody to re-post. (You can simply copy and paste)
  • Let’s continue to use the word “support” to avoid the R word
Thanks all!!
How soon will those links need to be re-posted? I was just getting around to trying to figure out how to do it, maybe I should wait, lol.

I need to sell a gift card. I've bought lots of them but have never sold. Is one place better than another? I've purchased on Raise before, so figured I would use them if there isn't a big difference. TIA!

Hi. I'm a long-time lurker on the boards, but I haven't posted before.

I thought I was doing ok with the Southwest card and the Disney card, but now I feel like Dorothy when she first stepped into Oz. I had no idea it was possible to travel like that. It's a bit intimidating and I'm glad I found this group.

I'm in single player mode and am currently 4/24:
8/17: BOA (no rewards, what was I thinking?)
9/17: SW
3/18: CS
3/18: CF

I don't have any current travel goals, but I'm sure reading this thread will give me a lot of great ideas.

I've decided to venture into business cards, but am a little hesitant since I only have a "business". I'll apply for the SPG biz card this week and then try for the CIP.

I thought for my fifth slot I could double dip a Marriott and a CF, or maybe the Hyatt card. I'm not sure about that yet, but I'll have time to figure it out. Any suggestions?
Welcome I started with just getting boa rewards for flights then sw cp. good luck with applying for Amex. Before applying for your CIP make sure you haven’t had any apps in 30 days.

Looks like you just got two cards. What did you get? Is that 'CS' one of the Sapphires? And you just got a Freedom? You only have one more Chase card until the oldest one falls off so you want to make sure to use that spot wisely. You need to be under 5/24 to get the CIP so I'd recommend making sure to keep a spot open. I also think you need to take a break from Chase for a bit since it looks like you just got two Chase cards. The SPG biz would be an excellent card to go for, or any of the Amex biz cards that you have an interest in.

Welcome to the group. I started with Disney and SW too!

Yes, the CS is a Chase Sapphire Preferred. Sorry about the typo.

If I get the SPG Biz it will take me the full 3 months to get to the MSR. Since I opened 2 Chase cards in March, would late June be too soon to apply for the CIP or should I wait a couple of months?

I'm near the Philadelphia and Newark airports, so I could look into getting a United or American card for my 5th slot. I usually fly Southwest, but having points with another airline would give me more options. So many possibilities.

I need to sell a gift card. I've bought lots of them but have never sold. Is one place better than another? I've purchased on Raise before, so figured I would use them if there isn't a big difference. TIA!
I've heard good things about Raise and Cardpool, but haven't sold any myself so I don't have first hand info. I know @SouthFayetteFan has sold on Raise...I'm sure he can give you some advice.

:welcome: to the group and out of lurkdom. Everyone here is super friendly and helpful so don't be shy. We have a very diverse group with travel goals than span the entire spectrum. They range from travel for as few points and as economically as possible once in a great while to travel as often as possible in the most comfortable manner as possible no matter how many points it takes. So no matter what your travel goal(s) winds up being, someone here can help.

I will concur with the others and advise staying away from Chase for a bit and focusing on Amex biz cards. The SPG card transfers 1:1 to over 30 airlines. For every 20,000 SPG points your transfer to an airline, SPG will kick over another 5,000 SPG bonus on your transfer. If your goals are flights then SPG is an awesome card that gives you options both domestically and internationally. If your goals are WDW trips, SPG points will work for stays at Swan and Dolphin. Personally, I find SPG points to be the most valuable points currency for my travel goals. Is your CS a Reserve or Preferred card?

There is a also a private reddit group open to any of us here on the DIS. It has helpful information and links to credit card applications posted from the DISers in this thread. This way, we are able to support one another and say thanks to one another too. To join just PM @SouthFayetteFan or @Albort with your reddit user name and they will add you to the group.

I don't have enough posts to PM, but my reddit user name is AndPeggy31

Back from a lovely Disneyland F&W trip! 50 pages to go on here so that’ll be a long haul but I’m gonna give it a shot! I did glance at Reddit & DoC a couple times while on my trip & the summary of the week seems to be:
-ToysRUs out of business, no gift cards on shelves
-BMO not working for Amex spends anymore (looks like DPs are still in development there?) :sad:
-Lowe’s Amex but I think it’s dead, I got it on a couple cards but couldn’t remember the login info for the others & by the time I got to my laptop last night it doesn’t show on any other non-Hilton cards. I can’t believe you did this to me Amex!!! I’ve been waiting a couple years for this promo again!
-300 stars at Starbucks with ChasePay. Worked for me, ChasePay says I earned 300 stars
-Southwest contest for CA, thanks @Albort for the heads up. Alas my nearest airport is FAT and they still don’t have SW. (To those wondering yes, it’s id is FAT. Fresno Air Terminal. By the time they decided that wasn’t the best name & changed it the FAA was like “nice try, you’re keeping FAT”)

Any other big stuff I ought to check now off the top of your heads?

My last charge finally came through to my Altitude Reserve for that spend so w00t! Also my travel credit for the card posted a few days after the charge from WDW for a room reservation via a TA. Longer than CSR but no where near as long as the like 2 months they say it can take.
Welcome Back! How was F&W? I was there a few weeks ago but couldn't get over to CA until after 8pm and a lot of the food huts were already closing up for the night, boo!

Hey, how do you like the Altitude Reserve? I was recently thinking of closing my US Bank checking account but I keep delaying it thinking I might want the Altitude. I also just read about the new real-time mobile rewards that allows you to redeem rewards towards a travel charge at 1.5x as soon as you make the purchase. No need to use their travel portal, so now I'm seriously considering it. I'd be very interested to hear how that works for you if you use it.

How soon will those links need to be re-posted? I was just getting around to trying to figure out how to do it, maybe I should wait, lol.
I will post new threads this week. I’ll leave the old threads up too for a couple weeks to allow people to copy and paste over. I’ll also send PMs to people who haven’t moved their links over before I remove the old threads.

I sold one time on Raise - it was easy and a good experience. I haven’t sold on any other sites so I have nothing to compare it to. :)

Yes, the CS is a Chase Sapphire Preferred. Sorry about the typo.

If I get the SPG Biz it will take me the full 3 months to get to the MSR. Since I opened 2 Chase cards in March, would late June be too soon to apply for the CIP or should I wait a couple of months?

I'm near the Philadelphia and Newark airports, so I could look into getting a United or American card for my 5th slot. I usually fly Southwest, but having points with another airline would give me more options. So many possibilities.

I should think you would be okay to get the Amex SPG biz now and then the CIP this summer. Is there a rule with Amex that you can’t apply unless it has been 30 days since last card? (Not sure so someone chime in).

Purely personal...I just wish the SPG biz was not $7000 in 3 months! I really want to get it but $7000 in 3 months on an Amex scares me! I am not brave enough I don’t think to try anything not allowed or possibly questionable so it would all have to be purely organic spending. I actually had a moment today that I could add the dining plan to our WDW room only in May and that would make a huge dent in the $7000 spend if I got the SPG. Argh. Decisions...

I should think you would be okay to get the Amex SPG biz now and then the CIP this summer. Is there a rule with Amex that you can’t apply unless it has been 30 days since last card? (Not sure so someone chime in).

Purely personal...I just wish the SPG biz was not $7000 in 3 months! I really want to get it but $7000 in 3 months on an Amex scares me! I am not brave enough I don’t think to try anything not allowed or possibly questionable so it would all have to be purely organic spending. I actually had a moment today that I could add the dining plan to our WDW room only in May and that would make a huge dent in the $7000 spend if I got the SPG. Argh. Decisions...
You could look at the regular offer 25k for $5,000 in 3 months. People typically recommend you always get the Max bonus with AMEX due to their “once per lifetime” bonus rule. But if $7k gives you heartburn perhaps it’s not worth it.

Let’s do a quick comparison of the 2 offers assuming a 3cpp value for SPG points:

1) Standard Offer: 25,000 Points PLUS 5,000 Points (for meeting min spend) = 30k for $5,000. You earn approx. $900 at an 18% return.

2) Current Increased Offer: 35,000 Points PLUS 7,000 Points (for meeting min spend) = 42k for $7,000. You earn approx. $1,260 also at an 18% return.

Both are solid offers and since they offer an identical return - it’s not necessarily a bad situation to “settle” for the standard offer if the $7k MSR presents a problem. Of course if there is any way to meet the higher spend requirement I’d absolutely go with that. Hopefully this helps a little bit :)

I will post new threads this week. I’ll leave the old threads up too for a couple weeks to allow people to copy and paste over. I’ll also send PMs to people who haven’t moved their links over before I remove the old threads.
I was just about to update my links while sitting here watching a hockey game. I guess I’ll wait until new threads are up. Thanks for keeping things going!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter