I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
. To which see said "great! oh, and fyi it'll be in June, that's fine right?" "yeah!" As I hung up it finally processed, I'm going to New Orleans... in June :scared:.

My thought exactly when I read it "does she know what NOLA is like in June?" o_O June is what I consider a commitment month-the weather commits to being unbearably humid (oh yes and hot) around then for the next 3 or 4 months. Still, I'm sure you'll have fun!

So with that, are there any types of cards you guys might recommend or even personally use ("these are great for miles!") or ones you wouldn't suggest or are out of my credit range ("the annual fees aren't worth it")?

TL;DR: Hoping to possibly get a recommendation on the "best" CC to save on airfare for a fall trip.

While I am NOT an expert (by far!) I am also a Regional Airport captive. So the first thing I'd do is decide whether you and your wife can get into 2 player (ideal) mode, then get an idea of how many miles in each airline you would need. Using a regional airport is tough with miles and points because it's like they automatically inflate the points/miles just for landing there :sad1:

I just played with some dates and the airlines plus Chase's UR portal (random dates since I wasn't sure of your exact ones) and it looks like if you use Chase Ultimate Rewards, flights could cost anywhere from 31,000 UR RT (on American) to 40,000 (on United) per person. Caveat-I used my Chase Sapphire Preferred to find these numbers...if you had a Reserve it would be slightly more bang for your UR buck.

American Airlines looked like 42,000-60,000 mile per person; United 50-75,000 (note I was putting in a Saturday-Saturday so you could find lower during the week...possibly) while Delta was around the 19,000- 34000 skymiles required depending on times, etc.

So that said, you can decide who you want to fly and proceed from there.

Due to Chase's 5/24 rule (ANY personal credit cards count if obtained in the last 24 months), I would probably start with either Chase Sapphire Preferred (or Reserve). If your DW isn't going to enter this game, she could be an AU--that would earn you with minimum spend 58,000 UR (50,000 for the min spend, the min spend of $3,000 plus 5,000 for AU). Still short of TWO tickest but close especially if you put more spend on (obviously). If your DW could get one, too, then that's 53,000 UR (but DON'T make her an AU and vice versa! The 5,000 URs are NOT worth a 5/24 slot imho). Three months later I'd ask for board help again!

Another option is to consider SW and flying out of NOLA. Two and half hours is a pain to driver; I get it...but from what I've read SW has a Companion Pass that can make flying 2 for 1 a very attractive option. Just a thought!

A couple of caveats- TODAY'S points/miles requirements aren't necessarily what will be available in 2 or 3 months down the road. There are only so many seats at point/mile levels. This is why most of the successful guys here plan years in advance for travel and book at the 330 day mark (or whenever award booking is possible). So getting into this "game" nine months out is actually sort of risky.

I am painfully familiar with American Express and Delta so if you decide to go that route I can provide thoughts on those cards too (I've held most or all of the Amex Delta co branded personal cards as well as several other Amexs!).

Good luck planning and don't hesitate to ask questions-there is a lot of knowledge and experience here :)

Last edited:
today I dropped $400 at Costco but no Amex...
I feel your pain! I stopped in there the other night, and got just two things but noticed a bunch that is like to pick up... debating if I buy a cash card with my Discover online, or see if we end up with a new visa card... there's some things on sale I want to get, like the Starbucks via packets - they're half price compared to anywhere else, and still 30% lower than I've seen them on sale or even with coupons, and I use them most days at work! Wondering how crazy I'll look buying them up to the limit... :rolleyes1

No worries! Here's the link: http://lftairport.com

It's a fairly small regional port with the closest international one being Louis Armstrong in New Orleans, and that one's a healthy 2 1/2 hour drive away.

I took a quick peek at random dates in June. June 5-12/13 or so. I found United flights for $211 rt and also saver awards flight with miles that were 20,000 miles and $11.20 in taxes. Delta was $300~ rt and 15,000 miles with $11.20 in taxes.

Chase UR points would allow you to either pay with points at 1.25 pp value with a CSP or 1.5 with a CSR. Or, allow you to transfer directly to UA as miles for times when it makes more sense to use miles over points. The CSR will also give you a $300/yr travel credit which can go towards your flights.

Short term: I’d suggest starting with your Chase cards, CSR or CSP and Freedom, CIC after PCing a CIP if possible and include the United card in that mix. United card will allow you to view more award availability, get your checked bag and one companion free, comes with 2 lounge passes per year and with get you a 25% bonus every time you use the Mileage X app.

Long term, Amex MR earning card with bonus categories like Everyday or Everday Preffered to transfer to Delta and a Delta card when there’s a high bonus to get free bags. SPG for option to do a Delta transfer, stay at Swolphin and earn extra SPG points for UR or cash paid Delta flights.

I'm looking for some advice. I'm trying to get up the courage to apply for the CIP. I do not currently have any business cards. I do have a legit rental business and am an equity holder in a family business (I report taxes with an EIN). My hesitation is that I will want the SW business late 2018 or early 2019 to earn the CP for 2019/20.
If I use the EIN from my family business, everything comes to me, right? I'd rather not use the company address, just mine. Does anything get reported to the company?
My DH has the SW business card which is listed as our rental business. Should I have him cancel that first?
Is it possible that Chase would give me two business cards for the rental business...CIP and later SW?

I'm looking for some advice. I'm trying to get up the courage to apply for the CIP. I do not currently have any business cards. I do have a legit rental business and am an equity holder in a family business (I report taxes with an EIN). My hesitation is that I will want the SW business late 2018 or early 2019 to earn the CP for 2019/20.
If I use the EIN from my family business, everything comes to me, right? I'd rather not use the company address, just mine. Does anything get reported to the company?
My DH has the SW business card which is listed as our rental business. Should I have him cancel that first?
Is it possible that Chase would give me two business cards for the rental business...CIP and later SW?

Your DH doesn't need to cancel. We also have rental property. DH has 2 Chase Business cards and I have 3 (I had to call reconsideration for the 3rd). I have even read reports where a person with 2 different businesses can get 2 of the exact same card - one for each business. But I'm not sure which cards allow that. I'm sure someone else here can chime in on that.

I've STILL not met the minimum spend on the two cards I'm working on. These are hard because both are Amex and today I dropped $400 at Costco but no Amex...last Friday, I had to pay for an eye exam and contact lenses (about $150) but they don't take Amex...It's that kind of thing it seems almost daily. I will not do two Amex at the same time ever again!!!

Let me commiserate! I’ve still got about $120 left on my SPG Biz MSR but it’s been a slog even with some Plastiq thrown in. I’m at Costco about once a week, and how many times have I stared at my SPG Biz like I could have totally finished you off by now if only Costco still accepted Amex!

Costco is a big black hole in our spending that earns only 1x on all our cards. So I’ve been using VGCs I buy from various promos (e.g. OD/OM/Staples sales and rebates, Freedom 5x UR categories, Chase Pay 10x UR, Amex Offers and category bonuses) to get more return out of the hundreds I spend at Costco every week. Obviously, if you have to return something to Costco, using VGCs might not be the best strategy. (Although, I've read DPs that say if you're making a return and you tell them you no longer have the card you made the purchase on, they'll refund you back onto another Visa!) Right now, I've been putting Costco purchases on my new Marriott Biz MSR, so no much juggling around VGCs.

I wouldn’t risk using the SPG Biz (or any Amex card) to buy VGCs while trying to meet MSR (don’t want to anger the RATs), but I would totally use the SPG Biz after meeting spend to buy VGCs at a discount or with a rebate (something to negate the activation fee) to spend where they don't accept Amex as a way to rack up SPG points.

Short term: I’d suggest starting with your Chase cards, CSR or CSP and Freedom, CIC after PCing a CIP if possible and include the United card in that mix

Any reason you didn’t recommend the double dip CSR/CSP? I’ve got my eye on that once I get down to 4/24, want to make sure I didn’t miss something.

Let me commiserate! I’ve still got about $120 left on my SPG Biz MSR but it’s been a slog even with some Plastiq thrown in. I’m at Costco about once a week, and how many times have I stared at my SPG Biz like I could have totally finished you off by now if only Costco still accepted Amex!

Costco is a big black hole in our spending that earns only 1x on all our cards. So I’ve been using VGCs I buy from various promos (e.g. OD/OM/Staples sales and rebates, Freedom 5x UR categories, Chase Pay 10x UR, Amex Offers and category bonuses) to get more return out of the hundreds I spend at Costco every week. Obviously, if you have to return something to Costco, using VGCs might not be the best strategy. (Although, I've read DPs that say if you're making a return and you tell them you no longer have the card you made the purchase on, they'll refund you back onto another Visa!) Right now, I've been putting Costco purchases on my new Marriott Biz MSR, so no much juggling around VGCs.

I wouldn’t risk using the SPG Biz (or any Amex card) to buy VGCs while trying to meet MSR (don’t want to anger the RATs), but I would totally use the SPG Biz after meeting spend to buy VGCs at a discount or with a rebate (something to negate the activation fee) to spend where they don't accept Amex as a way to rack up SPG points.

Yep, not being able to use AMEX at Costco is a blow for me too since I'm trying to meet MSR on SPG Biz also. "Luckily," I had car maintenance to the tune of $500 to help me out on the MSR (though, really, I was torn about using Apple Pay for Freedom's Q1 bonus category, but figured it's harder to find places that take AX so ended up putting the spend on SPG Biz). And I paid DD's music lessons thru Plastiq on SPG Biz (I call it Education, which is an accepted merchant category for AX). @Lain, don't you pay LO's schooling with Plastiq - how about shifting that payment over to SPG Biz, would that help? Even if you have to forego your 3x CIP earnings?

I get at least 2.625% back at Costco (everywhere, actually) because of my BoA Premium Rewards Visa (Plat Honor tier), but that's my last resort. I primarily use VGC at 5x obtained in the manner @Lain describes, or Costco Cash cards purchased during 5% quarterly bonus categories with my Discover (Q1 & Q4 in 2018). It's difficult if you're watching your 5/24 status to maximize your credit card diversity, most of my cards I got before the whole 5/24 started. Overall I feel there's been a tightening in the credit market, and I think that's because there's a trend toward an increase in credit card delinquencies so banks are being more cautious.

Last edited:
Yep, not being able to use AMEX at Costco is a blow for me too since I'm trying to meet MSR on SPG Biz also. "Luckily," I had car maintenance to the tune of $500 to help me out on the MSR (though, really, I was torn about using Apple Pay for Freedom's Q1 bonus category, but figured it's harder to find places that take AX so ended up putting the spend on SPG Biz). And I paid DD's music lessons thru Plastiq on SPG Biz (I call it Education, which is an accepted merchant category for AX). @Lain, don't you pay LO's schooling with Plastiq - how about shifting that payment over to SPG Biz, would that help? Even if you have to forego your 3x CIP earnings?

I get at least 2.625% back at Costco because of my BoA Premium Rewards Visa (Plat Honor tier), but that's my last resort. I primarily use VGC at 5x obtained in the manner @Lain describes, or Costco Cash cards purchased during 5% quarterly bonus categories with my Discover (Q1 & Q4 in 2018). It's difficult if you're watching your 5/24 status to maximize your credit card diversity, most of my cards I got before the whole 5/24 started. Overall I feel there's been a tightening in the credit market, and I think that's because there's a trend toward an increase in credit card delinquencies so banks are being more cautious.

Does costco online take Amex? If so - buy Costco gift cards and then use the GC to pay for your purchases at Costco.

costco online does take Discover. I am contemplating buying GC to get the 5X rewards on my Discover IT since I can't use Discover at Costco.

Any reason you didn’t recommend the double dip CSR/CSP? I’ve got my eye on that once I get down to 4/24, want to make sure I didn’t miss something.

Trying not to overwhelm someone new to this and/or assume that 2 player mode and making spend on a double dip is on the radar. I was thinking of keeper cards for ongoing UR and MR earnings. Sorry I wasn't clear about that. If double dip is do-able then I'd always say go for it. Also, keep in mind I am perpetually LOL/24 so getting under for another Chase card when I already have 10 Chase cards is never in the forefront of my mind :-)

Perhaps someone has insight... has Barclay Arrival changed how you can use miles? Last time I could redeem exactly the number of miles I wanted as long as I hit the $25/2500 miles threshold (no fee card)... I'm trying to redeem my $43/4300 miles against a $96 charge and it's only giving me 2500 miles as an option... :headache:

Amazon Business - has anyone 'upgraded' to their business account? I got an email today because I added a Biz Marriott to the account.

double dipping now has risks now with Chase. Knowing your */12 and the # of chase cards in the past 3 months is as well.

@Albort Do you recall what the trigger seems to be for the */12? I need to keep an eye and that and slow my roll if needed. Thanks!

@Albort Do you recall what the trigger seems to be for the */12? I need to keep an eye and that and slow my roll if needed. Thanks!

*/12 would be with chase apps, seems like 3-4/12 is not good with chase.
*/3 best to be 0/3 if u plan to double dip. would also keep 0/3 when applying regardless.

these are my own thoughts though, it my predictions based on whats posted on reddit and flyertalk.

@Lain, don't you pay LO's schooling with Plastiq - how about shifting that payment over to SPG Biz, would that help? Even if you have to forego your 3x CIP earnings?

I have been for the past three months! That's about the only expense I was willing to free up from the CIP to help meet the SPG Biz MSR. It's still tough going. But it looks like I'll be done with the minimum spend in 4 months vs. the 6 months Amex gives you.

Does costco online take Amex? If so - buy Costco gift cards and then use the GC to pay for your purchases at Costco.

No, unfortunately. When Costco severed their ties to AMEX, they REALLY severed them.

What @platamama said. Costco .com doesn't accept Amex.

I wasn't aware of the unintended consequences of removing myself as an AU on the CSP. Now, we can only transfer points to the cardholder (my wife) and not to my account. While I understand that we can still purchase an airline ticket for me with her points on SW, the problem lies in that any changes to that reservation have to be made over the phone instead of online. I don't know that is a "policy", but has been my experience on multiple occasions. As someone who is always checking fares for a drop, it's a huge hassle to then have to call in to make that change. Now I know, but may consider adding myself back as an AU, as I travel much more than my wife does.

Short term: I’d suggest starting with your Chase cards, CSR or CSP and Freedom, CIC after PCing a CIP if possible and include the United card in that mix. United card will allow you to view more award availability, get your checked bag and one companion free, comes with 2 lounge passes per year and with get you a 25% bonus every time you use the Mileage X app.

Long term, Amex MR earning card with bonus categories like Everyday or Everday Preffered to transfer to Delta and a Delta card when there’s a high bonus to get free bags. SPG for option to do a Delta transfer, stay at Swolphin and earn extra SPG points for UR or cash paid Delta flights.

*/12 would be with chase apps, seems like 3-4/12 is not good with chase.
*/3 best to be 0/3 if u plan to double dip. would also keep 0/3 when applying regardless.

these are my own thoughts though, it my predictions based on whats posted on reddit and flyertalk.

Thanks so much for all the advice, guys!

I only have the Citi right now, opened a year ago.

My DW unfortunately doesn't have much credit, so it's very doubtful she'd qualify for CSP, maybe Freedom.
That said, I could still hit the $8k spend for the double dip pretty easily, but is that better than a CIP? Is the $150 + $95 annuals worth it?

I'm admittedly a bit nervous about trying straight away for a CSR or CIP (no owned business). If the app happens to be rejected, wouldn't that greatly hinder trying to get others like the Amex?

Your DH doesn't need to cancel. We also have rental property. DH has 2 Chase Business cards and I have 3 (I had to call reconsideration for the 3rd). I have even read reports where a person with 2 different businesses can get 2 of the exact same card - one for each business. But I'm not sure which cards allow that. I'm sure someone else here can chime in on that.

@Psychodisney, go for the CIP! @pillow has good advice. You shouldn't have problems getting 2 Chase business cards with the same business; just be sure to space out the applications by about 6 months. If you get the CIP now, I think you'll have given Chase more than enough room for comfort to approve you for a SW Biz by late 2018 or early 2019. DH shouldn't have to cancel his card.

I'd also suggest you use your rental business. It sounds like, technically, you're a partner with your husband on the rental business. A partnership can be formed without any formal written documents. Did DH apply for the SW Biz as a sole proprietor or a partnership? (@pillow – what did you and your husband apply under for your rental business?) If DH applied as a sole proprietor of the same business you plan to apply for, and there are any questions, I guess you could say DH took on a partner or didn't realize it was a partnership. If you decide to apply as a sole proprietor, and there are any questions, I guess you could say you selected the incorrect legal structure for your business. Practically, I don't know that it'll even matter to Chase because a lot of people seem to get their first and even second business card applications approved automatically, whether upon submission or after they go pending for a few days, without ever having to prove up their business credentials to a human.

For your family business with an EIN, I'd be a little wary that Chase may request some documentation establishing your business and your role in it. You could have everything sent to you, but it might raise some flags if you're applying for the business but not using the address matching the EIN on your application.

Like @pillow mentioned, I’ve seen positive DPs of people applying under two businesses (one with SSN, the other with SSN+EIN) to get two of the same business card, like the CIP, which has a big bonus they’d like to double dip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter