I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Amex Platinum still offer the perk of Hamilton tickets at face value? I want to get them for my in laws (and maybe for us) for their 50th wedding anniversary. Is there another way to score cheaper tickets?

The Amex Platinum card gives you access to the Platinum Concierge, who can find tickets for you at face value. I believe American Express is an official sponsor of Hamilton, and a number of other Broadway shows, which is how they are able to offer these kinds of tickets. Often, Amex will offer cardmember exclusive presales for select engagements, or certain shows for members-only.

I haven’t had a chance to utilize my Platinum benefit to see Hamilton, but I believe our resident Hamilton superfan (autocorrect kept trying to change that to Superman or superfine) @calypso726 has, and should be able to help.

If you’re thinking about applying for the Amex Platinum card, know that it will eventually count against your 5/24 if you’re still planning on applying for Chase cards. Amex will report the opening of the Platinum to your credit report around the time your second statement posts, giving you a small window of about 2 months in which you have this new Platinum card that Chase doesn’t yet know about.

Also, since Amex signup bonuses are generally once per card per lifetime, I would not recommend applying for the Platinum with less than a 100,000 Membership Rewards points bonus. (The current public offer is only 60,000 MR points.) There are a number of ways to get yourself targeted for this highest offer:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/cardmatch-offering-people-100000-points-american-express-platinum/

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/another-possible-way-get-100000-platinum-offer/

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/incr...bonuses-incognito-mode-back-list-offers-ymmv/

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/two-new-ways-access-higher-american-express-offers/

Last edited:
CSR question....and here I thought I had this all figured out correctly... DH and myself have the csr- he got his 12/3/16-(or something close to that) I got mine about 1/10/17- why are both acct pages saying we get a new travel credit after Dec 17? I know for sure that DH's statement date is Dec 17,so his TC should be good to go on the 18th...why is mine saying the same thing?

I saw it on Slickdeals. It's up in the air as to whether it's targeted but I don't recall any of the chase pay offers being targeted. I'm going to wait a few days to see the data points showing it's working.

CSR question....and here I thought I had this all figured out correctly... DH and myself have the csr- he got his 12/3/16-(or something close to that) I got mine about 1/10/17- why are both acct pages saying we get a new travel credit after Dec 17? I know for sure that DH's statement date is Dec 17,so his TC should be good to go on the 18th...why is mine saying the same thing?

It's poorly worded. Even I got confused when I first saw that. It shows 12/17, but means December [20]17.

Everybody see this article? https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-clawing-back-signup-bonus-points-gamed-spend/

I trust DoC since he always seems to post reputable info. I'm really hoping this one is just blowing smoke though for those of us who aren't truly MSing to hit Min Spends... I'd be really frustrated if my Target Gift Cards, which I turned into Disney Gift Cards, to pay off my Disney trip didn't count as min. spend on my SPG card. I'd seriously flip out...I get that they're in control of what is "eligible spend" but to take this beyond the cash equivalent gift cards (VGC, etc.) to me is just wrong...
Amex is the one credit card issuer I stay 100% legit with when meeting min spends because the stories are just awful from those who do get hit. While I bought gift cards on my Amex while meeting the minimum spend I keep a tally towards the spend that doesn't include the gift cards just in case.

Because you applied under the old rules the TC resets at your December statement date regardless of when you applied. If either of you had applied after late May 2017 your TC would reset on a yearly basis instead. Enjoy your early TC, your account is doing exactly what it should be! (or if you haven't used your current TC- do it NOW!)

The Amex Platinum card gives you access to the Platinum Concierge, who can find tickets for you at face value. I believe American Express is an official sponsor of Hamilton, and a number of other Broadway shows, which is how they are able to offer these kinds of tickets. Often, Amex will offer cardmember exclusive presales for select engagements, or certain shows for members-only.

I haven’t had a chance to utilize my Platinum benefit to see Hamilton, but I believe our resident Hamilton superfan (autocorrect kept trying to change that to Superman or superfine) @calypso726 has, and should be able to help.

If you’re thinking about applying for the Amex Platinum card, know that it will eventually count against your 5/24 if you’re still planning on applying for Chase cards. Amex will report the opening of the Platinum to your credit report around the time your second statement posts, giving you a small window of about 2 months in which you have this new Platinum card that Chase doesn’t yet know about.

Also, since Amex signup bonuses are generally once per card per lifetime, I would not recommend applying for the Platinum with less than a 100,000 Membership Rewards points bonus. (The current public offer is only 60,000 MR points.) There are a number of ways to get yourself targeted for this highest offer:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/cardmatch-offering-people-100000-points-american-express-platinum/

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/another-possible-way-get-100000-platinum-offer/

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/incr...bonuses-incognito-mode-back-list-offers-ymmv/

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/two-new-ways-access-higher-american-express-offers/

@mefordis

I'd also add that the Platinum comes with a $550 annual fee, which is offset by benefits like a $200 airline fee credit (note that this is much more restrictive than the Chase Sapphire Reserve's "travel" credit) and Uber credits. The AF posts on your first statement so if you can start offsetting that huge fee now, then you're better off.

Currently, for the month of December, Platinum card members get an extra $20 Uber credit in addition to the usual $15, for a total of $35, which can be used for Uber rides or UberEATS food delivery.

The airline fee credit is per calendar year, so you have the opportunity to triple dip that benefit (worth a total of $600) for one annual fee ($550). If you get the card now, you can utilize that benefit in December 2017, then double dip again starting January 1, 2018, and triple dip in January 2019 before possibly canceling this card and getting a refund of your second year AF. To utilize your airline fee credit, you have to select your airline, then make qualifying charges that are eligible to be credited back. Again, this is not like CSR's travel credit, which covers very broad kinds of travel expenses. Technically, Amex will credit you for only airline fees like checked and overweight/oversize bags, change fees, seat assignment fees, in-flight amenities, etc. But a lot of people successfully use this airline fee credit to buy gift cards/certificates/vouchers with certain airlines.

Pay attention to the data points on FlyerTalk for what works with what airlines. You have to be very careful doing this because it's technically not how the airline fee credit is supposed to work. Often, you have to keep your gift cards/certificate/voucher denominations small and separate, like $50 or $100 at a time (check FlyerTalk). I used my Platinum's airline fee credit this year on 2x $100 Hawaiian Airlines gift certificates and received two credits for $100 each. I've seen others use the credit to buy gift cards to American Airlines and Southwest. I recall United is your preferred airline; unfortunately, I don't think there's an easy way to turn the airline fee credit into gift cards since United shut down its Travel Bank (but again, check FlyerTalk). Follow FlyerTalk's data points for how much you can charge for a gift card and for what airline to successfully credit (and don't go over). If you don't get credited, you can't exactly call up Amex and plead, I should have received the airline fee credit for my gift card purchases (nope).

ETA: Slightly dated blogs from TPG on Amex's airline fee credit:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/choosing-your-amex-platinum-200-airline-fee-credit/

https://thepointsguy.com/2011/12/maximizing-the-amex-platinum-200-airline-fee-credit/

P.P.S. If you can get targeted for the 100k MR signup offer, now would be a good time to get the Amex Platinum because of the timing of these credits and getting the maximum value of the benefits, especially if you think there's a likelihood you might not keep the card for more than a year. Of course, the Platinum carries a $5k/3 months minimum spend and will add to your 5/24 count in two months, which could play havoc on whatever you want to still do with Chase.

Last edited:
Amex is the one credit card issuer I stay 100% legit with when meeting min spends because the stories are just awful from those who do get hit. While I bought gift cards on my Amex while meeting the minimum spend I keep a tally towards the spend that doesn't include the gift cards just in case.
I don't buy VGCs with AMEX due to those supposed issues. However I have probably bought at least one 3rd party gift card (Disney, Target, BedBath, Kohls, etc.) at a grocery store on each of the 15 cards we've hit minimum spend on with AMEX in the past 16-18 months. I know they make the rules but I think it would be ridiculous to start excluding things like a $100 Disney Gift card purchased at a grocery store on a card that doesn't even earn a bonus in that category. Honestly IMO the way AMEX has gone about combating "gamers" is idiotic, all these clawbacks, denied bonuses, etc...I wonder if the general public has gotten caught up in these practices at all...

For Example...What do you mean that the $250 Kohl's Gift Card I purchased for my sister doesn't count as min. spend?? I gave it to her for her wedding?!?!? OR I bought a Target Gift Card for my coworker and gave it to them for Christmas...and you're telling me it doesn't count?!?!??

I just think it's another sign of how out of touch AMEX is...they'll approve me for 15 cards in 18 months but want to allegedly scrutinize a Target Gift Card I purchased to see whether it should qualify or not. Others may disagree with my stance, but that's how I see it. I am pretty happy that I'm about to be out of AMEX cards to apply for...but in a couple of years it will be my wife's turn to hit them and who knows what the landscape will look like then.

Panicked myself this morning when I looked at my calendar and thought I missed my amex delta bonus minimum spend deadline. Thought it was 3K in 2 months (it's 2k in 3 months) and I'd missed it by a week. After 30 mins of googling if amex has a grace period like Chase (they don't, clock starts at approval) I thought to check my master spreadsheet. Convinced as I was I'd wasted a once in a lifetime amex bonus on a $50 statement credit I came to find out I was perfectly fine, another 3 weeks left... The holidays aren't stressing me out, not at all :crazy2:
Glad you didn't miss it. I try to remember to screenshot the offer when I apply for a new card. I don't keep a spreadsheet of bonuses but I only apply for 1 card at a time. Well except that once...

This will be an interesting one to track...if AMEX has a new "Marriott" card come out and they plan to transition existing SPG cardholders into the new card, might make sense to proactively cancel so you can apply for the new card. Obviously a long way away but something to keep in mind...
Right now I have both Marriott & SPG cards. Waiting to see what products they offer before canceling but would for sure cancel Amex to get around the once in a lifetime bit.

Right now I have both Marriott & SPG cards. Waiting to see what products they offer before canceling but would for sure cancel Amex to get around the once in a lifetime bit.

the guesses right now is that Amex will provide the higher tier card and Chase will provide the lower tier card. As for what points earn what, my guess is another point system, then SPG loyalist and Marriott loyalist will slowing get merged into it and completing the transition. I do wonder how it would be like though, i hate to lose all the SPG partners... so probably a Marriott Gold status card, $450 af...

interesting stuff, it makes me wonder if i should save my last 5/24 slot for the new card or just go apply for the 80k marriott card...

I just met mine the other day and already got the bonus!

Thanks for letting me know. Time to look into it more...and try not to panic. I usually take screenshots. Of course I just checked and didn't this time. Argh!

Edited to add: I just did the live chat with AMEX. I wish they had secure messaging like Chase. They said 6 to 8 weeks after. I stopped using the card as soon as I met minimum spend...like only $50 over. I really hope that doesn't catch their attention now.

Last edited:
It's kinda sad when I had a 1000 car repair and all I could think of when handing over my CC was "dang you hubby, if you'd have applied for the SW card they were offering when I asked you to we'd have 41000 RR points right now!!" he kills me... but apparently they've been offering him the same terms for a couple months now, they just did it again and we have until the 29th to apply. I thought I convinced him free points is a good thing but no movement on the actual application yet, grrr.

Thanks for letting me know. Time to look into it more...and try not to panic. I usually take screenshots. Of course I just checked and didn't this time. Argh!

Edited to add: I just did the live chat with AMEX. I wish they had secure messaging like Chase. They said 6 to 8 weeks after. I stopped using the card as soon as I met minimum spend...like only $50 over. I really hope that doesn't catch their attention now.
Are you certain that you're not counting the annual fee towards minimum spend? I went like $200+ over to make sure and that's when it hit, I think (just checked, my total spend w/fee is $4268). The spend that put me over would have been 11/29 or later. Good luck with yours!

Just had to share with those who would appreciate: I went under 5/24 on December 1st. I managed to wait about 36 hours before I got impatient and applied for the CIP in the wee hours of the morning on the 3rd. I've been waiting with the 30 day message and calling the status line once a day and today...it said I was approved!!! :cool1: Yay for all the UR points coming our way! Now just gotta spend $5K. :rotfl: Good thing we just finished our other spends and DH and I can both focus on this one for the next few months.

I saw it on Slickdeals. It's up in the air as to whether it's targeted but I don't recall any of the chase pay offers being targeted. I'm going to wait a few days to see the data points showing it's working.

I know you saw this one on slickdeals, but now that I'm finally able to add my csr to chase pay, is there somewhere to see offers if they are added to chase pay or is it just luck of finding out somewhere?

Are you certain that you're not counting the annual fee towards minimum spend? I went like $200+ over to make sure and that's when it hit, I think (just checked, my total spend w/fee is $4268). The spend that put me over would have been 11/29 or later. Good luck with yours!

I just looked again. $4350 with AF and $4155 without. I double checked by bringing up on the AMEX site year to date spending. In little text at bottom it says that some only goods and services count toward eligible spending. I paid for the balance on a town home rental, some gift cards through BJ’s, and also our biannual insurance with the card. Wondering if one of those bigger spends somehow didn’t count?!? Guess I will get the card back out and start spending. Least I have a little more time. It was $4000 within 3 months and I got it end of September right after bonus opened up.

I know you saw this one on slickdeals, but now that I'm finally able to add my csr to chase pay, is there somewhere to see offers if they are added to chase pay or is it just luck of finding out somewhere?
I wish I knew. Sorry.

Does Amex Platinum still offer the perk of Hamilton tickets at face value? I want to get them for my in laws (and maybe for us) for their 50th wedding anniversary. Is there another way to score cheaper tickets?

Depending on the where and when of the show they may be able to offer tix at face value. Amex has a pre-sale for each show before the tickets go on sale to the general public. You'd have to call them up, tell them the location and dates and your preferred price point. You'd need to speak with concierge. My two experiences buying Hamilton tix were as follows. I called during the pre-sale for the San Francisco shows and simply requested the best 4 seats on any Saturday. They had 4 great seats and I bought them for us and a couple of California DISer friends. When the pre-sale was announced for LA another California friend mentioned they were hoping to secure tix but didn't have an Amex. I offered to help and they said they'd Pay Pal me for the tix. I called concierge and asked them to secure tix on my behalf during the pre-sale. I gave them the price point which was $100 per ticket since tix were starting at $80 and again asked for any Saturday for a party of 4. I had to give them my card number and give permission for them to charge the tix on my behalf. On the sale day, I received a call from concierge informing me that hey had no $80 tix available as their allotted tix were all in mezzanine or orchestra. The tix would be $175 each. I figured I'd have to get the ok from the buyer but Amex told me that the phone lines were already on a 2 hour wait and by the time I called back, if and when I got through there might not be any left. I made a judgement call and bought the tix anyhow. I didn't inform the buyer of the price difference. I opted for a "pay it forward" gesture. I just explained that there weren't any at the price point and not to worry about the difference and asked that they pay it forward down the road. They said they would have said yes to the difference anyhow once they found out after receiving the tix and sent me the Pay Pal difference anyhow.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/12/05/new-marriott-credit-card-agreement/

Looks like both AMEX and Chase will be offering a Marriott Card. I have the SPG Amex primarily for ability to transfer to Delta. Hoping Marriott Amex might have that as an option...will be interesting. New cards is always a good thing I think!

Can't wait to see what they are going to come up with next!

I know there are a lot of ebags lovers on this thread. It looks like CF, CFU, and CSP have a Chase pay offer for 2000 UR points with $20 ebags purchase.

Enabler :cool: :laughing:

I just saw that too! I’m looking to venture into the realm of packing cubes. I’m overwhelmed by the options on ebags’ site. Anyone have recommendations?

Why yes of course. I had way too many of the originals and didn't think there would be a difference with the new ones but decided to try a set to compare. Now I have no use for the originals, gave a bunch away to family and absolutely LOVE the new design. The difference is huge and I would not have been able to guess that.
packin cube set.jpg

If I remember correctly, @calypso726 has a mild obsession with packing cubes.

True and thanks to @havaneselover I have fallen off the wagon ... again. :rotfl2:

Did my best and hope it helps. I will be planning to use the benefit again to see if I can secure tix so see the show in Puerto Rico in 2019!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter