I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy almost churning fail! I got the CIC back at the end of October. By end of November I had racked up $2700 of charges on the card. Then I completely forgot about it! DH got the Amex Plat Biz around then, so all spend has been going there (other than some dumb stuff like me using my CSR out of habit on some large-ish charges). Oy. I was just thinking it might be time for a new card when I realized the bonus on the CIC hadn't actually posted. Glad I caught it - I have about 2 weeks to catch up.

I have had a lot going on (some difficult family health stuff, the holidays, busy time at work), but that's a pretty big miss for me!
Cue @SouthFayetteFan commenting on having a spreadsheet to track this stuff...my main dashboard tracks all MSRs I'm working on :P Seriously though, glad you caught this!!! That would have been super frustrating!

Amex Plat & CSR Lounge Access Question

We are planning on using the Lounge in MCO. DH has a CSR and I have the Amex Plat (and CSR for now, but more on that below). If I understand correctly, we can each bring ourselves and two additional guests without charge using Priority Pass, correct? So DH can bring himself and one kid on his CSR, and I bring myself and the other kid on my Amex Plat?????

When we used the Lounge at MCO recently, they allowed me to bring my husband and both kids in on just my PP. Your mileage may vary.

Amex Plat & CSR Lounge Access Question

We are planning on using the Lounge in MCO. DH has a CSR and I have the Amex Plat (and CSR for now, but more on that below). If I understand correctly, we can each bring ourselves and two additional guests without charge using Priority Pass, correct? So DH can bring himself and one kid on his CSR, and I bring myself and the other kid on my Amex Plat?????

Has anyone used the lounge benefit arriving (specifially in Miami)? There are no PP Lounges, but restaurants that you can use instead. We are getting in around dinner time and rush hour, so I was thinking it might just be easier to grab food at one of the PP restaurants (again, 2 on my card, 2 on DH's). I wouldn't do this unless we were able to use our Priorty Pass Card, but don't want to do something we aren't supposed to do.

The other option is to use the Centurian Lounge if we fly into that Terminal (flying AA - Lounge is in Terminal D so I think those would be the same), but only 3 of us can enter. Does a 2-year-old count toward additional guests? I am assuming so since I haven't seen any age terms.

Downgrading to CSP & AF Question

My CSR AF is coming up in a few days. This will be the completion of year 2 and I think I am going to ditch it since DH has one and I can't churn it. When is the last day I can downgrade (thinking CFU or CSP)? If I signed up mid-Jan 2017, does the AF hit the same day in 2019, or after statement close (first few days in Feb.)?

I was going to keep it through our aforementioned trip for lounge access, but now that I have the Amex Plat, I don't need it. Should I downgrade to CSP or CFU? Or cancel it altogether? I received my sign-up bonus of 100K UR in Spring of 2017, so I am still locked out for another 2 years, correct?

New Card for DH

DH is in charge of booking a large group trip in the coming months. I told him to get the money in advance, which he has done, before making any bookings. It looks like it is going to cost about $10k when all is said and done. Soooooo, which card should he get to put this on?

I am confident he is at 1/5, with his CSR being from last March. He also has the CF, a BoA Cash Card, Target card (all applied for in the last 5-15 years).

I have the CSR (for now), CF, CSP, Amex Plat, Disney Visa.

Since we are heading to Disney, I was going to burn one of his spots on the Disney Visa, since we still have to do our year end charitable giving. So that will wipe that MSR and then some real quick, and give me a support click. But I don't want to have him have two apps too close together. He is fine doing one new app a year but that's about it.

Thanks for all of your help!
I have no info on the lounge...

I would downgrade to another CF (if you want to get a CFU someday) or a CFU if you don't want to get one in the future. No reason to close that account, it will keep it available if you want to product change in the future. IF you have too much Credit Limit just reduce it to $1,000 or something on that card.

If I'm reading everything right do NEITHER of you have a CIP? With $10,000 to spend...why not 2 CIPs?? One of you apply, get the card, refer the other immediately and then spend the $10k!

This is a great thread...just found it an have spent the last couple of days skimming through it. I only started churning last year (got 2 Chase SW personal cards when it was still allowed and the CSR). But then kind of got lax about it all and didn't look into applying for anything else until lately. The whole reason I'm looking into churning again is cuz I just spent a boatload of money in Nov./Dec. and realized it would have been more than enough to hit a minimum spend on a new card, if not two - I'm sure that makes you expert churners cringe at the thought!

So now I just got the Chase Hyatt card cuz I have a Disney trip lined up where I want to get the dining plan and I have DVC dues to pay. Does anyone know if it's okay to use the Chase card to buy Disney gift cards at Sam's club in order to make the MSR? I wanted to use the discounted Disney gc's for the dining plan and DVC dues to save some money, but wasn't sure if Chase cared about buying gift cards to meet minimum spend. I think I read somewhere that Amex does and would claw back bonus points in those cases? If that would be the case with Chase, I would just charge the dining plan & dues on the card.
Welcome to the thread!! If you're interested in joining our private Reddit group DISchurners send me a PM and I can get you hooked up there!

If you haven't already considered it, a Chase Ink Preferred would be a great card to look at! If you have a spouse you could enlist your player 2 in the game too :)

Has anyone used the lounge benefit arriving (specifially in Miami)? There are no PP Lounges, but restaurants that you can use instead. We are getting in around dinner time and rush hour, so I was thinking it might just be easier to grab food at one of the PP restaurants (again, 2 on my card, 2 on DH's). I wouldn't do this unless we were able to use our Priorty Pass Card, but don't want to do something we aren't supposed to do.
If I am reading this correctly you are landing in Miami, wanting to eat at the airport and then leave the airport for a stay in Miami? If so I believe PP requires you to have a boarding pass for an outbound flight the same day you use the pass, thereby making your meal a no-no. Whether or not they check for a boarding pass is YMMV. I have only used PP in cafes at PDX and have never been asked to show one.

This is an incredibly random post, but I just noticed that Discover has lots of card designs again. Last time I'd looked they just had a few colors, the mixtape, and NHL teams. Now they have dogs :goodvibes :rotfl: I am pretty sad that I can't get my NE Huskers card like I had pre-chip card. I actually signed up through a mail offer with that specific card :rotfl: Anyways, I feel like some people here talked about getting the different designs/colors, and mainly I want to get away from the textured that the regular blue card has, so I was wondering if anyone could weigh in on other designs and if they are normal/smooth. I want to switch DHs out because the texture does not lend itself well to his card labels :laughing:

I went and grabbed my adorabull bulldog Discover It and it's smooth. I also got dolphins for my second Discover It and that one is smooth, too. The edge of the card is still orange so you can tell you're grabbing the discover from your wallet if you have a tiny one like mine where you shove things in :)

I wish I liked Cap1 more-my very old cap 1 card has my wedding photo on the front. Too bad we can't personalize cards more.

Everyone has mentioned ample hills so I think we will make sure we get ice cream there. Thanks!

I had some in November. You might get a freebie if it's your birthday. It's some very expensive ice cream and I didn't really like the flavor I chose.

Amex SPG business card question: My one year anniversay is coming up on having this card. From what I understand, I get an award night after I pay the renewal 95 fee (or is it 99?), that cannot be used for Swan/Dolphin, right? I am not interested in staying at any other hotels other than those 2 and the Disney branded hotels. So I should cancel the card and save the 95 bucks? I think I can now apply and get rewards from credit card since I am out of the 5/24 restrictions as of a couple of months ago. Which other credit cards should I go for that would maximize points for staying at the swan or dolphin? I read some about it but thought some people here might have advice too. I think my family would be able to spend 5,000 in 3 months, though I may have to do a bit of manufactured spending (not much if any). I am not good at this credit card thing so any advice would be great! TIA!

Amex SPG Biz gives you a 35K free night. Swan/Dolphin are 50K. Do you ever stay in hotels anywhere besides Disney? If you never stay in a hotel other than at Disney, then it's not much good for you.

Last day for the elevated offers on the Hyatt card (not to mention the Amex Rose Gold), and I’m paralyzed with indecisiveness.

I’ve decided the Amex Gold card isn’t the best card for DW if we want to repair her relationship with Amex, if at all possible. I would jump on the Hyatt offer but I’m still at 5/24, and ideally I’d like to fit in a few Chase biz card offers before burning the next slot that opens up on a personal card anyway. So DW is at bat if we want to play in Chase’s ballpark. But I “just” got the CIC for DW last month and she’s been super stressed from returning to work. I really don’t think she’s in the mood for another surprise credit card. I want to keep P2 happy and in the game, so I’m thinking I may just have to pass.

I was ok with missing out on the 65k offer on United Explorer that was supposed to end yesterday (although I’m still seeing it available here) — $10k spend is a lot to get the full bonus, considering in the past DW has been targeted with 50k, 60k, and 70k miles bonuses for $3k spend. We don’t stay at Hyatts, so I guess I don’t have a good perception of how much the 10k points difference is worth for the same spend between the 60k offer ending today and the 50k offer that starts tomorrow. Better offers will probably come around again, but I’ve noticed Chase — with the United, Hyatt, and Southwest elevated offers — has been moving towards high spend tiered bonuses, which haven’t offered as good miles/point returns on dollars spent for MSR.

I was ok with missing out on the 65k offer on United Explorer that was supposed to end yesterday (although I’m still seeing it available here) — $10k spend is a lot to get the full bonus, considering in the past DW has been targeted with 50k, 60k, and 70k miles bonuses for $3k spend. We don’t stay at Hyatts, so I guess I don’t have a good perception of how much the 10k points difference is worth for the same spend between the 60k offer ending today and the 50k offer that starts tomorrow. Better offers will probably come around again, but I’ve noticed Chase — with the United, Hyatt, and Southwest elevated offers — has been moving towards high spend tiered bonuses, which haven’t offered as good miles/point returns on dollars spent for MSR.

i was thinking of going for the Hyatt but i would only go for that for status... i find transferring from UR --> Hyatt is easier... its most likely would go into the sockdraw after MSR.

The other option is to use the Centurian Lounge if we fly into that Terminal (flying AA - Lounge is in Terminal D so I think those would be the same), but only 3 of us can enter. Does a 2-year-old count toward additional guests? I am assuming so since I haven't seen any age terms.

I don't know how many can enter the Centurion lounge, but my daughter used it this past October with her almost 2 and almost 3 year olds at the time. She loved it. They have a separate kids room with changing area and activities/toys for the kids and they had the room to themselves after getting their food. It was very relaxing for her and she was able to let the kids move around and play as opposed to being at a table or in a high chair. She had a layover however so did have a boarding pass for her next flight.

I know I am probably beating a dead horse but I'm still scratching my head over the Disney resorts getting taken off URs. I just don't get it. If Chase and Disney are feuding, and that is why they were pulled, then why were the Swolphin resorts pulled also?? They aren't Disney branded. Other SPG/Marriotts/Westins are still on UR's and in the Orlando area. Other resorts, like WBC, that are on Disney property are still on UR's. I just don't get it and now that I need to book a resort, I'm completely annoyed and mad!

Also, there were Disney resorts showing for me on Hotwire and Priceline and those are all gone now as well. I'm doubly ticked about that as well :badpc:

I know I am probably beating a dead horse but I'm still scratching my head over the Disney resorts getting taken off URs. I just don't get it. If Chase and Disney are feuding, and that is why they were pulled, then why were the Swolphin resorts pulled also?? They aren't Disney branded. Other SPG/Marriotts/Westins are still on UR's and in the Orlando area. Other resorts, like WBC, that are on Disney property are still on UR's. I just don't get it and now that I need to book a resort, I'm completely annoyed and mad!

Also, there were Disney resorts showing for me on Hotwire and Priceline and those are all gone now as well. I'm doubly ticked about that as well :badpc:

my guess is the dispute is not between Disney and Chase, but its more Chase and Expedia.
We lost everything because of the transition from Connexion to expedia. Im sure Connexion was more of the higher end of travel services vs expedia which is more of deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter