I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you heard of the Light Keeper Pro?

Going back to this: my Lowes has it in stock. I might just pick one up later on and see what it will do. Looks like an interesting gadget to at least pull the bulbs. I haven't successfully pulled out any dead bulbs and I could use some help with that. Also realized I have another tree that I've forgotten about - I have tons of xmas décor!

I try to use mine for UberEats (since I've never taken an Uber nor do I have a need to on a day-to-day basis). The problem for us is we live on the far outside of the Denver metro area. We only have a couple of places that deliver from UberEats (McD's, Qdoba, Subway, Jersey Mike's). These are the places that have a delivery fee of 1.99-3.49. Everywhere else, and it is pretty much these same restaurants and a couple others sprinkled in, all charge $5.99 for delivery. Plus a tip, of course.

So, out of our close ones, the McD's is renovating and doesn't look like they will open anytime soon. The Qdoba takes themselves offline almost all the time. I've seen them available like 1-2 times (meanwhile the further location is always available). And then we have the two sub shops, which are neither that appealing but will probably be what I have to use the Dec credit on. I wish I could get more benefit from the Uber credit but it's just not that useful for us.
Yeah, pretty sure we have nothing like that around where we live. Plus McD's fries only taste good when you eat them right away :)

So my statement date for my southwest business card is 1/2.

Risks of hitting the spend prior to 1/1? Or coming within like 100 bucks and getting gas and groceries 1/1? Even if I do that, the charges would likely be pending on 1/2. I’d really like the bonus points to post 1/2.

My plus is a lot more straightforward with a 1/15 close date. I’ll take it up to like 1750 and then stop till after the new year

Yeah, pretty sure we have nothing like that around where we live. Plus McD's fries only taste good when you eat them right away :)
DoorDash is more popular around here. A lot of places use them. I read UberEats business model isn't profitable for restaurants.

So my statement date for my southwest business card is 1/2.

Risks of hitting the spend prior to 1/1? Or coming within like 100 bucks and getting gas and groceries 1/1? Even if I do that, the charges would likely be pending on 1/2. I’d really like the bonus points to post 1/2.

I'm sure it's only in rare cases but there were DP's a year ago of SW points posting even before the MSR had been met. In those cases, people seemed to be within a few hundred. I would not even get close if you want the points to hit in Jan 2019.

I know for me, Amex gave me my 100k spg biz points when I was still $200 away from meeting the MSR.

So, remember how I never got Starpoints for my federal tax payment from AMEX, even after opening a case with them?

And then maybe you remember how I got a credit for AMEX error on a card, for $26? I think @gottalovepluto got one too around the same time.

Well, DH just got an email this morning from AMEX saying that at some point they didn't give me starpoints due to a technical error, so they issued a credit for the value of the starpoints. I wonder if that $26.71 was to make up for my missing 1400ish tax points. This was all on his SPG biz.
Got the email as well, it was for my SPG personal. Points were not awarded like they should have been for my SPG points purchase from like 6 months ago. Although the $2 credit they awarded me still doesn't math out for that $600 purchase.

I'm sure it's only in rare cases but there were DP's a year ago of SW points posting even before the MSR had been met. In those cases, people seemed to be within a few hundred. I would not even get close if you want the points to hit in Jan 2019.

I know for me, Amex gave me my 100k spg biz points when I was still $200 away from meeting the MSR.
I’ve read this too, but I feel like this is an urban legend perpetuated by people who forgot about returns or the annual fee

and 2 months later, my amex SPG Lux card has arrived... and its going straight into my sockdraw!
woot woot! :P

Careful there, you don't want to end up on Amex's naughty list. Isn't the SPG Lux worth MSing for Platinum status?

The 20k MR points from enrolling my Biz Plat and Biz Green in Pay Over Time on Saturday posted today.

DH's & my 10k from our Biz green both posted today as wel

Mark me another happy camper! My 10K from Biz Green and 10K from Biz Gold posted, as well.

Soliciting advice on my plans for Amex Biz cards with the ugly (to me) change in Biz Plat.

In March (anniversary), change Biz Plat to (new) Biz Gold product. The AF is $295 but MRs used for reward tickets earn 25% MRs back. Since I've never used this feature and probably won't for another year to 18 months, feel that the 35% back (biz plat) v 25% back (new biz gold) isn't worth the difference in 2 AFs (ie, not worth $600 to me in 10% MR earning difference).

Keep my BGR since they don't automatically convert like the personal gold did--then in August when the AF is due ($175 I believe) pc to Biz Green ($95 AF). I'll then have a biz gold (new format) for the 25% back on MRs used for tickets through Amex Travel, 4X gas and restaurants and 2 Biz Greens, which I will drop over a couple of years. Savings in AF=$390 for 2019, another $95 (dropping my 2018 biz green) in 2020.

Keep Plat and Gold personals since I use lounges (so do AUs) and the 4XMR on grocery and restaurants work for me.

I'm hoping this will keep the Amex RATs happy! That and continuing to spend 6 figures (gulp) with their product will hopefully allow me to obtain the only (for now) 2 cards I really want from them (BBP and HH Aspire). Those mental gymnastics (ie, which 2 credit cards to lose) are tbd.:D

Guys, I think my favorite thing about Amazon Prime sometimes is that I can shop for clothing without going to the store. Like, company Christmas party is Saturday.. I don't really have anything to wear. Amazon Prime and free return clothing to the rescue, for under $35 :)
Have you tried wardrobe? I just did and loves it! The selection is smaller but I got 8 pair o jeans to try at home (over $500) choose the one that I liked the most and sent the rest back! And my card was only charged for the jeans I kept. This is great for me since I never go to stores anymore!

I’ve read this too, but I feel like this is an urban legend perpetuated by people who forgot about returns or the annual fee

Maybe so...? I just would be afraid to get that close to the MSR until I was ready for those points...just in case! Are you trying for CP?

I really hate clothes shopping now overall. I have zero interest in cruising the mall every weekend like when I was a wee teenager.

This is how I've gotten to be. It's not so much hate that I know exactly what type of clothes I like to wear now, and I'm not going to spend time trying on a bunch of random other stuff that I know I'm highly unlikely to like. I know I'm going to get jeans from Old Navy Tall section, dresses from the random Chinese store on Amazon, and shirts and sweaters from the men's section of most stores (the joys of being a 6' woman). DH LOVES to shop though, so he is always looking for an excuse to go to the outlets.

I got that too! Did you get cheated points when they had that issue back in April? My credit showed up on the first day of my October statement (closed on 10/12, credit posted 10/13). I got cheated for my tax payment and I'm thinking that was it.

Got the email as well, it was for my SPG personal. Points were not awarded like they should have been for my SPG points purchase from like 6 months ago. Although the $2 credit they awarded me still doesn't math out for that $600 purchase.

I had to go back through this thread to find how much I charged that day. It was $101. I don’t see any credit posted in the last few months. But if you got $2 for $600 maybe mine was too little of an amount.

Long rambling pre-coffee post coming up:

Which cards do you have that has you at 2/24?

What cards do you still want from Chase? Or from any other issuer in the short term that'll add to your 5/24 count?

Note that as of about 3 weeks ago, it appears all of Chase's cards now fall under the 5/24 rule.

The Chase Marriott Premier Plus and the Marriott Biz cards are subject to the 5/24 rule. The MPP will add to your 5/24 count, the Marriott Biz will not. Both the MPP and Marriott Biz offers are for 75k Marriott points after $3k MSR, with a $95 and $99 AF, respectively, not waived in the first year. Both cards come with a Free Night award certificate upon every anniversary, and I believe the FN certs on Chase's Marriott cards are posting on time for you to pocket the FN and cancel the card without paying another year's AF. However, if you pick up a Chase Marriott card, you will generally be disqualified from Amex's SPG cards for the next two years.

The Amex SPG Biz will not count against Chase's 5/24 rule, but the SPG Personal and Luxury cards will count against 5/24. All of Amex's SPG cards are offering only a 75k Marriott points after $3k MSR welcome bonus right now, unless you received a targeted mailer for the SPG Lux with a 125k Marriott points offer. As I mentioned above, a 100k Marriott points after $5k MSR offer recently ended on 10/31 for the SPG Biz and Lux. The offers will probably go back up in a few months. Note that unlike Chase, the $95 AFs on the SPG Biz and SPG Personal cards are waived (the SPG Lux's $450 AF is not waived, but you get a $300 Marriott credit with the card). However, reports are that the FN certs are posting about 6-12 weeks after the anniversary, which may not be enough time to pocket the FN cert and then canceling the card in time to avoid the AF. (So whether you go with Chase or Amex, it seems like you'll have to pay an AF to get the FN cert.)

Note that with the Marriott-SPG merger, Marriott made a lot of changes to their Chase and Amex cards over the summer so that a Chase Marriott Biz is essentially the same as the Amex SPG Biz (note the same earning structure), and the MPP is the same as the SPG Personal. Thus, Marriott wants you to choose a lane -- Chase or Amex.

Chase has 2 Marriott cards (the MPP and Marriott Biz). Amex has 3 SPG cards (the SPG Personal, SPG Biz, and SPG Lux). You can get bonuses on each of these cards, but only from one lane until the 24-month restriction passes for the other lane of cards.

At a basic level, I personally think 3 > 2. Go with Amex.

But in your situation, it's a little difficult. The Amex SPG offers aren't at their high right now. You could wait, but for how long? You'd probably be looking at the SPG Biz because that won't add to your Chase 5/24 count. The SPG Personal and Lux will add to your 5/24 count, so you might want to put these off until after you're at or over 5/24. But with you being at just 2/24, how many cards do you still want or need to get, and how soon can you get to or over 5/24 so you can break free and get the SPG Personal and Lux?

(I'll add that Amex has been flagging applicants who have a history of signing up for a card, hitting MSR and getting the bonus, then putting no or only minimal spend on those cards until it's time to cancel, and telling them with a pop up message that they're ineligible for the welcome bonus when they try to apply for more Amex cards. So if you get an Amex card, be sure to put continued spend on it.)

Complicating matters is Amex is expected to discontinue new applications for the SPG Personal in early-2019 and Chase is expected to discontinue new applications for the Marriott Biz in early-2019, as part of a deal struck earlier this year between Marriott-Amex-Chase where Chase gets the mass consumer and premium consumer portfolio of credit cards and Amex gets the super premium consumer and small business portfolio of credit cards. So unless you're in a position to get the SPG Personal or Marriott Biz (depending on the lane you've chosen) by early 2019, without throwing off your strategy, you may miss out on them.

If you choose the Chase Marriott lane, then it makes sense to get both the MPP and Marriott Biz so you can get both bonuses and eventually 2 FNs.

While the Marriott Biz won't add to 5/24, it will add to the credit lines already extended to you by Chase, which Chase uses to decide whether to approve you for more cards or if you already have sufficient (or too much) credit extended. (So keep your overall credit lines with Chase in check, ideally <50% of household income.) As a biz card, it may also affect your chances of approval for Chase's other biz cards (e.g., the Ink cards, SW Biz, United Biz). A lot of people have been approved for and have 3 open Chase biz cards with only their SSN; 4 open Chase biz cards using only SSN is tougher (but spacing out your apps and keeping credit lines low helps); and I've seen some DPs of as much as 5 Chase biz cards using only SSN. So you need to consider if the Marriott Biz is worth more than one of the Ink cards or a SW or United Biz.

As for the Marriott Premier Plus, it's a personal card so it'll take up a 5/24 slot. Are there any other Chase (or other issuers') personal cards you'd rather have? I think a popular sentiment post-Marriott merger is that the Hyatt card probably offers better value than Marriott. If you can fit both in, great! But with the MPP taking up a 5/24 slot, you need to look around to see if that slot can't be better used on another card.

Wow. Awesome post. Thank you.

I don't have a real thought out plan frankly. Here is what I have.

CSR
Ink Cash (just got this two months ago)
Freedom
Freedom unlimited
Disney (no fee version)
Amazon
I had the CSP and converted it to the Freedom 6 months ago.
Wife - Freedom (converted from the CSP)
Wife - CIP

I intend to keep the cards I have long term. I have a legit business, but it's newer, and it has it's own FEIN and it is my income. The Ink Chase only game me a small credit because I had too much credit extended so I dropped credit levels on the cards I don't use as much (only a few weeks ago, so not all are showing on my credit report yet). Also, our household income just went up considerably so I'm now around 30% of available credit to household income (using just my cards and my biz card but using wife's income). 60%my credit is on the CSR, but I like that I can buy just about anything on that (including I'm hoping I can get Subaru to let me buy my car off lease via credit card).

I do plan to get the IHG card to start a plan to eventually return to Tahiti and use some points at the Intercontinental. I travel 4-6 times a year for work (which I pay for). And Disney or DCL once a year, including hopefully Hawaii in the next couple of years.

So the only cards I have my eye on, really, are:

IHG
Delta (just because they have the most nonstop flights)
Hotel card (Marriott, SPG, Hyatt, doesn't really matter to me)
Maybe, eventually, Southwest, but I never fly Southwest just because they have no nonstop flights.

Otherwise, i'm not sure what my plan or goal is. Collect as many points as possible and then spend them on some trip I would not otherwise spend cash on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter