I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@calypso726 IHG free night cert question. When you use the cert, do you pay the taxes and resort fees? Looking at a Kimpton in Seattle for next year but taxes and fees would be 100. Still a good deal on a 500 room but want to know what to budget and possibly look at something else for lower out of pocket. Thanks.

Usually the taxes and fees are included with IHG, but I haven't stayed Kimpton, so I would advise calling. Individual hotels may have different policies for fees. I've never had to pay taxes.

Usually the taxes and fees are included with IHG, but I haven't stayed Kimpton, so I would advise calling. Individual hotels may have different policies for fees. I've never had to pay taxes.
I've never paid the taxes or fees either, but I haven't stayed at a place with a separate resort fee. The one I have booked didn't show it when I booked it, I only saw it when I looked into changing the reservation. In those details it showed a resort fee and everything else at 0.

Actually just decided today that we're for sure going to change it but I'm irrationally afraid to cancel it in case they reissue it as a restricted night. All the changes they keep doing make people crazy. :)

I've never paid the taxes or fees either, but I haven't stayed at a place with a separate resort fee. The one I have booked didn't show it when I booked it, I only saw it when I looked into changing the reservation. In those details it showed a resort fee and everything else at 0.

Actually just decided today that we're for sure going to change it but I'm irrationally afraid to cancel it in case they reissue it as a restricted night. All the changes they keep doing make people crazy. :)

I've got my one unrestricted night still available until next august. Not sure yet what I will do with it. Maybe go to NYC and add a night with points. But kind of late to be booking.

That’s just 2 more Amex cards this year, and a third for the same bonus amount as a Plat or BBP! You can do it!

I’ll def get 2. I have a friend with no Amex cards that wants the Gold. Plus I’ll get SO the Gold after he gets his last Chase card. (Don’t want to risk his App because we need the companion pass.) Now can I get four? Since SO has the BGR too. Maybe I’ll refer each of us to the Plat.

That’s... way too good a deal on tickets. I really should take a break from DLR next year but I will undoubtedly start pricing out a trip for DCA F&W time at those rates- I know me, if I can scrounge up the bank bonuses I can’t say no to the Mouse!

Does anyone recall a discount this good in the last few years? The only discounts I recall have been SoCal resident restricted or that AP friend discount for one day this summer.

@Albort do you know how 30% Best Buy Samsung Pay offer works as far as payment method? I have Super Nintendo on my list to buy but was going to use gift card I purchased awhile back. The gift card would cover almost all of the purchase price so I would need a CC for the rest. Do you think that would track?

DP for u!
LH2uKiM.png

Last time I checked that room category wasn’t refundable but I can check again. Right now the room is showing $237 ish per night so $1,422 for 6 nights without taxes and fees.

Okay I did some more research. Chase won’t work because it costs $40 more per night to get it refundable. So through Hilton, points for the room would be 510k and the total dollar amount paying with cash would be $1,400 plus tax. If I did my math right, the 510k Hilton points would be equivalent to $2,800. I’m not sure if that’s right but if so that’s a huge difference.

What’s the Barclay?

I believe Barclay is arrival+ and @SouthFayetteFan said sign up bonus is worth about $850 (don't quote me on that number)

Here you go:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/barclay-arrival-70000-point-sign-up-bonus-with-annual-fee-wavied/

So are you saying you will be basically giving up $1400 in value if you book that room on hilton points? The points are worth $2800, but you would be booking a room with the cash value of $1400? I guess that seems right for a premium room reward, but ouch. :scared: I'd do whatever I could to knock down how many nights I had to book on hilton points, if thats the case. Cash out URs, maybe add the barclays statement credit, is it avail on the amex portal, even bank bonuses.

Got my $40 Gift Card today from the "Phone Tour"... I really do consider DVC at times so I'm sure I sounded very interested to the agent with all the questions I asked. BUT eventually I get my head on straight and realize it's just not the right thing for us.

I do the same.

I have finished researching apple watch deals...I think.
Seems costco and best buy are the same price, but best buy has the amex deal too. So I will go that route.
Any cashback portals work with apple through best buy? What about returns? I saw returns through 1/27 for elite members but there isn't a restocking fee or anything I need to be aware of right?

Is the chip and pin a real advantage? It might take few seconds longer but I never had any issues with just signing -- I know I used several cards that have a chip but no pin over the last few years in the Uk and Northern Europe

DH and I are huge introverts so it's "saved" us from having to interact with the agents in London's Underground (reloading Oyster cards), cashiers at McD's in Amsterdam and Prague (introverts with the palates of 4 years olds) and not getting the evil eye by cashiers in Zurich. It literally stays in my "travel wallet" and that's the only time I use it. So for us, it's worth it, especially since I have the no-fee Arrival right now. No fee for decreased interaction-score :)

keep biz. biz had the extra 4x category.
personal is great to keep it u can turn it into a Lux card.
welll I only got the offer for 10k points....how is that great? what am I missing?

Seems costco and best buy are the same price, but best buy has the amex deal too. So I will go that route.
Any cashback portals work with apple through best buy? What about returns? I saw returns through 1/27 for elite members but there isn't a restocking fee or anything I need to be aware of right?
I bought one for my daughter from Best Buy today (white band with aluminum--gift from Grandma and Grandpa). Swagbucks may pay out 2% but I'm not counting on it.

I think Target will have the Series 3 (that's the one DD is getting) for $199 on BF, but I'm too lazy.

If you're not going to use both nights then I'd look at if you'd want to earn points with any of the categories. As @Albort pointed out the Biz card has more bonus point options than the personal.

Biz -
6x Stariott property purchases
4x U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services and shipping
2x everywhere else

Personal
6x Stariott property purchases
2x everywhere else

So if you can use one night and want to hold on to something to keep points alive, I'd keep the Biz. If you don't see yourself staying at a Stariott any time soon to make use of the discounted night, or burned your stash of points and not looking back, then maybe not worth the fee to keep either.
thanks..... that's what I'm debating..... I might keep the biz for that one free night but I don't see a lot of spend happening on either since the golden days of swolphin and spg are over....I might be able to squeak out one more visit in the future.... that cheapo free night doesn't excite me either

I went through the SW RR portal for DS's iPad and scored the points plus the bonus with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter