I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like it! Here's my contribution to that goal:

I posted on Saturday about how to use points to cover expenses other than flight/tickets/hotels at Disney and Universal, and someone suggested adding the Disney Dining Plan if I have enough points. Running the math on the points I would need booking with the CSR, it seems like it might be a great deal, especially if I can stack it with a room discount (right now for example the regular plan costs $75/pp/night, but I would only need 5k UR/pp/night to add it to a package booked through Chase.)

I'm wondering if anyone has done this before and if so what were your experiences? Did you feel like it was a good value for your points? Especially interested in anyone who is a big eater (DH and I eat out a lot! Maybe too much...) and took full advantage of alcholic beverages being included with QS and TS meals starting in 2018!

I totally missed that alcohol was included in QS meals. Just shows how little I pay attention to the dining plan. The day they make it a snack I think I'd be all over the plan then :laughing:

I tend to think of my points as money, and I'd come back to, would I be willing to pay $50/pp/per night for this? Is this money I would be spending anyway on meals, or would I be eating differently to get the best value? (Or do I want to splurge and eat differently this time and points allowed me to do so?) But I haven't done the dining plan since 2011, when we got free dining during a family trip that planned many TS meals. We looked at it monetarily and it was a wash paying the upcharge to Regular from the free QS (vs our discounted package), but we were there during F&W so all the snack credits to use at the Festival made it a little better deal. Otherwise we use our Disney visa/redemption card at anyplace that gets a discount and would charge anything else to one of the cashback cards to take a statement credit. (we didn't have any of the travel cards until recently. so it wasn't as big a decision)

@SouthFayetteFan, @striker1064, and knowledgeable Amex people.

I'm debating referring DW for the Biz Green, but she hasn't started on any MR cards yet and I still hope to pull the 100k MR personal Plat for her one day. Will the Biz Green affect her likelihood of pulling the 100k personal Plat offer? I know some cards like the PRG will.

The net difference in points taken as a household is small, and a bird in the hand and all.

- Biz Plat referral to Biz Green = 20k MR referral bonus to me, 5k MR extra bonus for me?, 5k MR welcome bonus to DW = combined 30k MR
- If Biz Green does lessen the chances of DW being targeted for a 100k personal Plat, then the 75k MR incognito offer is pretty easy to pull.
- So in a way, we're up 5k MR over waiting for the 100k MR personal Plat offer that may never come again?
I would agree with your logic. The 100k personal is so elusive...IMO, Get what you know you can now :)

Ok, I have a P2 in the mix. I asked DH if he wanted a new business visa like me. He said “What’s my business? Monkey business?” I said...yep. So “he” applied for the CIP late this afternoon through my referral. Hoping approval goes smoothly and in time to use Plastiq for our humongous* car insurance yearly payment due end of August.

*2 adult drivers plus two teenage son drivers. :drive::faint:

@SouthFayetteFan strategy update...for those who care (if you don't then...:P :P)

I am fast approaching my time to double dip. My wife is now 0/24 and has only 4 inquiries. Her Credit Report looks about as good as it could for somebody who actually got 5 cards in the past year, LOL! (And has 22 cards in her churning career). I've removed AUs, closed unneeded accounts, and trimmed Credit Limit also to clean everything up.

Her most recent inquiry is 4/5/18 from her CIP and although the account won't appear on her personal credit report, it was approved on 4/11/18. Soooo I think I'm going to wait until August 13th so it has been 4 months since that CIP was approved and then go for the CSR/CSP double dip. My brother-in-law can refer me to CSP but I am going to have a SUPER hard time choosing somebody's CSR link here...So many awesome contributors here...

Then I'm thinking that the $8k MSR will carry me until the end of the year with organic spend (may pickup some VGCs in November to carry us over through Dec.). I don't need the URs for our Disney Trip in Jan - just need the CSR to redeem the URs though. So these URs can start building towards something else...

@SouthFayetteFan strategy update...for those who care (if you don't then...:P :P)

I am fast approaching my time to double dip. My wife is now 0/24 and has only 4 inquiries. Her Credit Report looks about as good as it could for somebody who actually got 5 cards in the past year, LOL! (And has 22 cards in her churning career). I've removed AUs, closed unneeded accounts, and trimmed Credit Limit also to clean everything up.

Her most recent inquiry is 4/5/18 from her CIP and although the account won't appear on her personal credit report, it was approved on 4/11/18. Soooo I think I'm going to wait until August 13th so it has been 4 months since that CIP was approved and then go for the CSR/CSP double dip. My brother-in-law can refer me to CSP but I am going to have a SUPER hard time choosing somebody's CSR link here...So many awesome contributors here...

Then I'm thinking that the $8k MSR will carry me until the end of the year with organic spend (may pickup some VGCs in November to carry us over through Dec.). I don't need the URs for our Disney Trip in Jan - just need the CSR to redeem the URs though. So these URs can start building towards something else...

So... recovery is possible?

Ok, I have a P2 in the mix. I asked DH if he wanted a new business visa like me. He said “What’s my business? Monkey business?” I said...yep. So “he” applied for the CIP late this afternoon through my referral. Hoping approval goes smoothly and in time to use Plastiq for our humongous* car insurance yearly payment due end of August.

Awesome! Can't wait to throw an approval party for your dh and his 'business' :)

The two teen drivers and big insurance bills :crazy2: It's awful, isn't it!! SO stinking glad for the spacing of my kids now that I have two teen drivers and one starting college, with another right behind her in a couple years....I used to wish we hadn't waited to have more kids (not all was in our control though...). But I have a good friend who has 5 kids in 9 years, and I don't think they are done lol, and I just cringe to think what their expenses will be like in a few years :faint:

Well, Folks - in the last 30 days I've gone hog wild! I came under 5/24 end of June and applied for the Marriott Biz, which was a good idea. I'm really happy to have done that and got the spend out of the way!

Then Striker1024 mentioned the Amtrak card and rail travel became an instant obsession. I was instantly approved for my second card.

This weekend we spent 3 nights at the beach and my daughter and I were both under each other's influence to apply for cards. She hit the app for the Ritz card and is waiting for approval - I'll have to ask her later if she got it. As many of you know, Chase cut it this past weekend, so that was a last ditch chance. I actually thought of hitting that button also.

Instead, I apped for my first UR card - Chase Freedom! I'm not ready for a 5K spend yet. I was instantly approved, bringing my Chase card count up a bit to 6? IHG, Disney, 2 Marriotts, Hyatt, Southwest, and now Freedom. No, that is 7 Chase cards.

I want the double dip eventually, but that has to be a strategic app to manage the spends. So, no csp csr or cip yet. All things in time. So now, I'm going to figure out how to pop out those UR's and might have to take a few lessons from @Albort and @speedyfishy.

Oh yes, and I've been so app happy I almost applied for an Amex biz card then realized I'd never meet the spend until maybe September or October when I have some other planned expenses coming along! Also talked myself out of the Amex Biz when I realized the rumored bonus was going up - I can wait for it maybe - still have time to think about it.

Good luck! I feel for you!

Quick question..I was approved for the CIP the beginning of May...and was going to apply for the CSR in August is that too close together.....not doing the double dip since the $4,000 is doable...$8,000 isn’t

Instead, I apped for my first UR card - Chase Freedom! I'm not ready for a 5K spend yet. I was instantly approved, bringing my Chase card count up a bit to 6? IHG, Disney, 2 Marriotts, Hyatt, Southwest, and now Freedom. No, that is 7 Chase cards.
I miss the pre-5/24 days when CF and CFU were easily good decisions to apply for. Before that rule existed getting a CF and CFU was a no-brainer! I still think they are pretty good cards to hit and a few months back I posted about the back and forth CF/CFU spouse strategy (or P2 strategy) which still isn't a bad deal! I don't think you'll regret getting a freedom :)

Quick question..I was approved for the CIP the beginning of May...and was going to apply for the CSR in August is that too close together.....not doing the double dip since the $4,000 is doable...$8,000 isn’t
Without a double dip you're probably fine. (With a double dip you're probably fine too...but I am being super cautious because of how long it took me to get here...I just don't want to screw anything up).

@Lain prayers for you MIL :grouphug:

Well I did it. Now ya'll know my FOMO and FOUP (fear of using points). But I really did it. I booked the *GT rate for the 6 of us sailing 12/15/18! No refund, no changes. :faint:
I wiped out our URs...460k and paid the balance of $1800 on the CSR that I will reimburse myself from the Alaska sailing deposit we will forego until 2020 or 2021. Now I just need to figure out flights and wdw precruise for myself and dd2 and the rest will fly down Friday pm after school. yaaayy! What a great start to the Christmas holidays...and we get to celebrate the kids' bdays onboard.:banana:We are used to paying $10-12k for cruise/wdw trips, so only having to pay in the $2k range is HUUGGEE and I am hoping to cover incidentals with bank bonuses and discounted gift cards.

I also booked the hotel for the spring break ski trip I promised DH in compromise for sailing DCL again so soon. Used hilton points for that. Will grab flights next month when SW opens them up.

Now I need to get to work on my next cc opening plans to restock!

I don't think you'll regret getting a freedom.

It's actually perfect for my credit card picture right now. I'm ready for UR's. Already have MR's.

So out of my 4/24 position, I got one business and 2 personal cards, putting me at 6/24. A couple of cards will fall off in the next 6 months putting me back to 4/24. I thought I was done when I got the Amtrak card, but since I couldn't yet see it on my credit, I went for the Freedom.

For those who have gotten the Marriott packages, which number did you call? Last night, I called the number on the official page that said "Call xxx to book these packages", and after 15 minutes on hold a lady who I think may have actually been Tina Belcher told me I was supposed to call a different number, but that she would connect me. I went back on hold for 20 more minutes and then they disconnected me.

Catching up on the thread so don't know if this has been answered or not. Call 800-321-7396. When prompted about why you are calling say "transfer reward points" then when prompted again say "Something else" that will get you to the right person.

...Now that I think about it, if I didn't have a CF but was in 2 player mode I'd even consider burning a 5/24 slot on it...P1 applies, earn 20,000 URs (15,000 + 2,500 AU + 2,500 5% category) then refer P2, earn 30,000 URs (15,000 + 2,500 AU + 2,500 5% category + 10,000 refer). 50k combined URs for spending $1,000...pair it with a CSR and you earned $750 back on $1,000 in spend... I think in single player mode this doesn't make as much sense. But in 2 player mode, it's very interesting.

...CFU has a similar value proposition but without the 5% category it isn't quite as lucrative:

P1 applies, earn 18,250 URs (15,000 + 2,500 AU + 750 base) then refer P2, earn 28,250 URs (15,000 + 2,500 AU + 750 base + 10,000 refer). 46,500 combined URs for spending $1,000...pair it with a CSR and you earned $697.50 back on $1,000 in spend

For those that didn't see this back in March - here is where I discussed the CF/CFU back and forth game to generate a bunch of URs for low spend. This strategy would probably be for somebody who is a slow churner, doesn't think they'll butt up against 5/24, or aren't interested in non UR Chase cards. The above comments summarize it but basically in 2 player mode you could start without any CF or CFU cards and end up with 2 CF and 2 CFU cards and 96,500 URs for spending just $4,000. If you already have a CSR that makes this worth $1,447.50 towards travel (but remember you each used Two 5/24 slots to get there).

You could also then PC your CFU cards to CF and now you have 4 FREEDOMS...hello 5% categories ;) haha! At any rate...figured i'd post this "mini-strategy" again for those that may be interested.

EDIT: I now see this was 20,000 comments ago. We move fast, haha! That was just March!!
EDIT2: Keep in mind that you probably want to use the middle name trick for AUs here or something else...don't actually add your player 2 and vice versa as that will hit their 5/24 count.

For a double dip, it's usually recommended to start applying early during regular business hours of a non-holiday weekday in case you need to call Chase reconsideration ("recon") or verification departments. Chase Credit Card Reconsideration. Personal: 1-888-270-2127, open: 8am-10pm ET Monday to Friday. 8am-8pm ET Saturday & Sunday. The verification department may have different hours.

For personal cards, be sure you're not running afoul of the 2/30 rule: you can only have two Chase credit card applications every 30 days or you'll likely be denied.

Apply for the card you want first. If you're not instantly approved and perhaps got the we'll let you know in 30 days message, call the automated status line at 1-800-432-3117 to check the status of your application. If you still aren't approved, call recon at 1-888-270-2127 to get it approved. Mention you’re calling (only) about the first application, and ask what can be done to move the application towards approval. They'll likely ask you identity verification questions.

After that first card is approved, use a different internet browser or an incognito window for the second application (and you can even clear the history), so Chase doesn’t get your cookies crossed and think you’re submitting a duplicate application in error. If you're not insta-approved, you can try to wait it out by checking the automated status line after an hour or so, but if you're not approved then call recon again to get the second application approved on the same day as the first approval. If you have to call recon, mention that you are calling about the second card only, and ask how you can help get it approved. You don't want recon realizing you've just been approved for an earlier Sapphire. It's likely an issue with needing to move around credit lines in order to have enough available credit to open up a new card. (Not sure if you have any Chase cards from which you can move credit to a new card. You won't be able to move credit from the newly approved Sapphire card to a second card, nor should you try.) If the rep does mention the other Sapphire card, and asks why we need the two cards, a lot of us just say we want to separate expenses.

Good luck!

Ugh. I think I messed this up. I am still getting the two week message and now that we are late in the day, I have a feeling it won't be approved today. Guess I can still call recon. See if I can get anyone...

EDIT: I got someone in recon! Verified info...now waiting...

EDITED AGAIN: My address had the wrong state entered and it instantly got approved once we fixed it! Yay!

Last edited:
@Lain prayers for you MIL :grouphug:

Well I did it. Now ya'll know my FOMO and FOUP (fear of using points). But I really did it. I booked the *GT rate for the 6 of us sailing 12/15/18! No refund, no changes. :faint:
I wiped out our URs...460k and paid the balance of $1800 on the CSR that I will reimburse myself from the Alaska sailing deposit we will forego until 2020 or 2021. Now I just need to figure out flights and wdw precruise for myself and dd2 and the rest will fly down Friday pm after school. yaaayy! What a great start to the Christmas holidays...and we get to celebrate the kids' bdays onboard.:banana:We are used to paying $10-12k for cruise/wdw trips, so only having to pay in the $2k range is HUUGGEE and I am hoping to cover incidentals with bank bonuses and discounted gift cards.

I also booked the hotel for the spring break ski trip I promised DH in compromise for sailing DCL again so soon. Used hilton points for that. Will grab flights next month when SW opens them up.

Now I need to get to work on my next cc opening plans to restock!

Congrats...you’ve got two great trips to look forward to

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter