• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Interesting to hear the Tuscaloosa talk, DS (22) is moving there in August for his masters program. I haven’t been there before, though I have spent a little time in Birmingham which I always enjoyed. When my kids were little I would take them to the zoo (smallish but fun) and also the civil rights sites downtown. I’m hoping when I visit I’ll be able to stay with DS in his apartment though and not have to spend my precious hotel points. I hadn’t even thought of flying into Jackson. I suppose Montgomery is as bad as flying into Birmingham?
I was looking from SW so that they would could towards keeping A list status so I searched Jackson, Atlanta, Nashville, Pensacola (although that was further) along with Birmingham. The Birmingham flight cost has since went down so I can switching our flights for convenience.

Anyone who uses ATT for cell coverage ever use the International Day Pass in Europe? If you use imessages (over wifi) will that be considered using your phone? Or do they only charge the $10/day if you use text, call or use data?

Last edited:
Can the iPhone be in airplane mode.and only connected to Wi-Fi and the airtags stuff still work?

I don't want an iphone for my daily but am thinking I could get an old one just to be able to use the airtags and also apple pay stuff for Japan.
Don't quote me but I *believe* so. I remember our phones were in airplane on the actual plane ride, but we were connected to wifi, and I was able to look at my airtags (we both had them in our luggage) and they showed like right under me, lol. But maybe someone else knows the definitive answer.
I loved having airtags for japan cuz we sent our luggage two times through forwarding service (from tokyo to kyoto, and back again), and you could see exactly where the luggage was, if it arrived at your hotel, etc. I will definitely use them every time we check luggage from now on, even on domestic flights.

I was looking from SW so that they would could towards keeping A list status so I searched Jackson, Atlanta, Nashville, Pensacola (although that was further) along with Birmingham. The Birmingham flight cost has since went down so I can switching our flights for convenience.
Glad to hear this. I know the Birmingham airport is on the opposite side of the city as Tuscaloosa but that will save quite a bit of time. My first trip there will be with a Uhaul in August. 🥵

Along the same lines, is there such a thing as movers that only provide muscle for the move in? We don’t need help loading up and getting there, just help getting heavy furniture up (possibly) 3 flights to an upper floor apartment. Hoping to hire help.

Anyone who uses ATT for cell coverage ever use the International Day Pass in Europe? If you use imessages (over wifi) will that be considered using your phone? Or do they only charge the $10/day if you use text, call or use data?
I did in Tahiti. I kept my phone in airplane mode & turned off cellular and roaming for good measure. I used wifi and imessaging worked fine with no charge.

I was glad I turned on the international daypass ability before I left the US because I did have an emergency where I wanted cellphone use and all I had to do was turn off airplane mode and turn on cellular, they charged $10(per line I think? It was just me traveling) and like tax. I made sure it was turned off within 24 hours.

10/10 would use it again!

I use AirTags in mine. They aren't super duper precise, but I could tell when my bags arrived at the Boardwalk and which hotels they were at in between. I would probably be able to at least tell the general area of the airport they are in.
I believe they have an extra precision feature for fancier iPhones. I’m a cheaper iphone so no experience with that but I always throw them in now because just the approx location when the airline says “I don’t know, have a nice day” is huge. As a matter of fact just bought some more at 4 for $79.99 when DoC highlighted the last sale for some family members!

If you have an iPhone failure to throw an AirTag inside your bag is one of the dumbest travel mistakes you can make. And carry-ons need them too in case you’re forced to check it.

Thinking of doing a direct DVC add-on and wondering should I use my Disney Visa Premier, or open a new card that would be more advantageous? Hear a lot of people talking about the CSR.

Only 1 new card in past 2 years (Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless) BUT average age of all accounts is just over 2 years and the oldest account is from 4 years ago when we moved to the US. That said, my credit score should be enough to get approved.

I pay off my cards in full every month (under $2K unless we have a major expense) so this will be my first time carrying a balance and hoping to spread out payments interest free as long as I can (Chase My Payment plan?) Spend is typical groceries, gas and whatever bills let us pay by credit card. Rarely travel by plane, hotels are pretty much covered between Hilton, Marriott and DVC.

Hope that's enough to weigh in!
Because you intend to carry a balance you need to get whatever credit card will let you do that, not chase a credit card bonus. We won’t have much advice on that as the number one rule here for us is Do Not Carry A Balance.

A better financial plan is to not buy the DVC add-on until you have the cash for it. For that you could utilize credit card bonuses and save them up. The extra good part here is if something else needs to be done with that cash before you have enough for your DVC add-on you will have the ability to do so.

All the talk about international plans and just using wi fI, how do you navigate? I’m used to using my phone as my gps device. I could go back to using paper maps but I’m traveling solo so much easier to use the phone. This is for road trips. I was just going to do the Verizon plan that is 10/ day but if there is a better way, send your advice.

They passed out the application for the red aviator card on the first leg of our American flight yesterday - 70,000 points with one purchase for the $99 fee and i was considering it. Now I’m rather ticked off at them.

Because you intend to carry a balance you need to get whatever credit card will let you do that, not chase a credit card bonus. We won’t have much advice on that as the number one rule here for us is Do Not Carry A Balance.

A better financial plan is to not buy the DVC add-on until you have the cash for it. For that you could utilize credit card bonuses and save them up. The extra good part here is if something else needs to be done with that cash before you have enough for your DVC add-on you will have the ability to do so.
However, if you have the cash and are just delaying the payments (accruing interest on your savings or whatever) there is the CIC/CIU which have 0% interest for 12 months and a SUB and no AF.
Just make sure to weigh all your options @SkampyOne because a great SUB will not outweigh the interest and fees you might pay.

All the talk about international plans and just using wi fI, how do you navigate? I’m used to using my phone as my gps device. I could go back to using paper maps but I’m traveling solo so much easier to use the phone. This is for road trips. I was just going to do the Verizon plan that is 10/ day but if there is a better way, send your advice.
I didn’t road trip, the long trip I took I needed to have my phone number functional so I paid $50 for the 2 week trip (yes ouch). AT&T stops charging you $10/day at 5 days and you have access for a month so I’d check if Verizon has something similar. Stupid expensive but there are so many other hassles when traveling solo, communications isn’t something I want to fight.

Not what you asked, but if your phone supports eSIM, Airalo is only $5 for 1GB and 7 days for the Europe regional one (other plans available). That's what we plan to use on our Europe trip. It seems to get good reviews on the Rick Steves forums.

Depends where. Canada and Mexico a lot of cell phone plans cover for free. Otherwise, I'll look for an eSIM company that's mentioned often for the country/region. If none, then I'll buy a local SIM.

The maps work with just Wi-Fi you don't need cell service for it to work.

I am spending the extra to use my att phone in Japan but I want to be able to get calls in case something happens at home. My mom's 75 and it just makes sense at this point. I've worked it into my budget. If I didn't need that I wouldn't. Als I realize I could probably get a google number or something but this trip is enough planning, esp after the 3rd time that I just don't want to add to it.

Glad to hear this. I know the Birmingham airport is on the opposite side of the city as Tuscaloosa but that will save quite a bit of time. My first trip there will be with a Uhaul in August. 🥵

Along the same lines, is there such a thing as movers that only provide muscle for the move in? We don’t need help loading up and getting there, just help getting heavy furniture up (possibly) 3 flights to an upper floor apartment. Hoping to hire help.
You might try contacting bellhops.com They are a moving company that you can opt for labor only. They have a location in Birmingham, which may not be close enough for them to service Tuscaloosa, but they might be able to suggest someone.

The maps work with just Wi-Fi you don't need cell service for it to work.

I am spending the extra to use my att phone in Japan but I want to be able to get calls in case something happens at home. My mom's 75 and it just makes sense at this point. I've worked it into my budget. If I didn't need that I wouldn't. Als I realize I could probably get a google number or something but this trip is enough planning, esp after the 3rd time that I just don't want to add to it.

DH figured out how to turn on wifi calling when we were in Japan. It was really convenient. We could call and text with people back home just like normal.

It's $10 for the exact plan you have at home. And it's capped at 10 days I believe. It is worth it to me.

Happy Sunday everyone. I have 2 questions for you!

1- I got a mailer for what must be the Personal Amex Hilton card- No Annual Fee and 80K points and a free night. There is apparently a public offer fro the Biz Amex Hilton for 150K. I have previously had, and closed the Amex Hilton Biz. I don't have an immediate need for Hilton points, but it is occasionally nice to have them for whatever hotel stay might come up. I am currently 2/24; will be 1/24 in a couple weeks so I'm not too worried about staying low on personal cards at the moment. I assume you'd all recommend applying for the Biz instead of the personal?

HA, never mind. I just looked up the two Hiltons I'd be most likely to stay at (Anaheim and Long Beach) and both of them are either 60K or 70K per night... those points won't go far! I guess I'll stick with Chase if they'll have me!

2- I recently cosigned on a vehicle for my 18 year old son. His credit score is good, but we assumed since he has no history he wouldn't get approved on his own. What I didn't realize until after I saw all the hard pulls on MY credit (4!) was that the three denials are coming back saying the were "unable to verify his identity." When he applied for his very own credit card through his credit union a few months ago, he was instantly approved. Does anyone know what might have caused this? The applications were sent to Wells Fargo auto, Honda, and one other I cannot remember right now. Ultimately it was approved through Fifth Third.

I believe they have an extra precision feature for fancier iPhones. I’m a cheaper iphone so no experience with that but I always throw them in now because just the approx location when the airline says “I don’t know, have a nice day” is huge. As a matter of fact just bought some more at 4 for $79.99 when DoC highlighted the last sale for some family members!

If you have an iPhone failure to throw an AirTag inside your bag is one of the dumbest travel mistakes you can make. And carry-ons need them too in case you’re forced to check it.
Yep, we have iPhone 14 Pro Max, and the airtags show you within feet and direction. So if you are walking towards your airtag, it will have an arrow pointing which way and how many more feet until you're there. I never thought I'd spend the money for airtags, I thought oh it's just another Apple gimmick, but I will always put them in our luggage from now on, and I've even considered using them with our dogs collars too.
DH figured out how to turn on wifi calling when we were in Japan. It was really convenient. We could call and text with people back home just like normal.
Same. We used Wifi calling, and since we had a data plan when we weren't on wifi, we used Whatsapp to call each other, and my family back home has it too so we told them in advance to call us there if needed.

Same. We used Wifi calling, and since we had a data plan when we weren't on wifi, we used Whatsapp to call each other, and my family back home has it too so we told them in advance to call us there if needed.

We actually used the Wifi calling on the Japanese data only eSIM network too. We would call each other when we were separated at the parks just like normal. It felt very seamless.

But I just asked DH if we'll be able to do the same in Europe now that we're with T-Mobile instead of Xfinity. Apparently there's a lot of nuance that I don't totally understand. 😅

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter