I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

We are getting one near us in Richmond, VA. The one in Florence is impressive, but not for me! The fuel tanks were packed. There was no parking anywhere near the store (and it was pouring). And once I walked in the store I felt anxious because of the amount of people and the number of choices. I absolutely get why people love it. And I will say the bathroom was fantastic.
I'm with you, it's too chaotic and overwhelming to me. But, the bathrooms are some of the best. In the store part I felt like I was in Times Square.

My plan (not a Magenta plan) says unlimited text/data up to 256Kbps and 25 cents per minute for calls. I don't understand wht 256kbps means but it didn't sound great and it probably isn't based on what you are getting on Magenta LOL. thanks!
Yeah, it sounds like you are on an older plan, which only gets international data which is very, very slow (not even high speed). Also, I don't think all the countries are included in the older plans. The Magenta plans get high speed/5G, and like 230 countries are included. But older plans don't. You might want to look into an eSim or similar.

Hi (again), Dis-ies!

I have a(nother) newbie question. My Chase Ink card didn't arrive in time for me to get in on the zero-fee staples visa deal. <sob> So, if the normal fee is $7.95, but it is 5x rewards... Would I still come out $2.05 ahead in points even without a sale?

Yes, dollar for dollar, you would with CIC. For each card you would get 1000UR. That's a base of $10 cashed out, but if you can use them for other things such as Hyatt rooms, usually we get a higher value.

I got my card that week and forgot to go buy the Visa cards. I got CIU so won't be getting the windfall from the 5% as CIU is 1.5%. Still I will not hesitate to buy as many as I need to meet the spend.

But, as per usual, they started selling $200 Mastercard Gift cards this week and they are available through Saturday. I will go in and buy $1600 worth of those. The rest of my spend will come organically - probably.

But if I have spend left over, I will be watching for another Visa sale.

The MC's spend pretty much the same and I haven't had any problem with them either, just prefer to use the new yellow visa's.

Oh man, DH won’t be going with us to NYC (just our teen girls and I). The other reservations I have are cash stay for work.
Do you mind sharing your itinerary or where you are staying? My DD will be turning 16 in September and I think she’d very much enjoy a girls trip to NYC. She loves all things Broadway and I don’t even know where to begin but have been pondering a fall birthday trip. Ideally I’d like to use points - Hyatt and fly SW/Delta on miles. She’s my companion for the CP on SW. my DH has tons of Marriott and I can use both UR and MR.

I’m open to all ideas and suggestions if you or others have them! It would just be the 2 of us (she’s my only) and is a great travel partner. The typical touristy things are good as well- Statue, Memorial, museums. She’d love to see several shows if possible.

I had the weirdest experience today at a Home 2 Suites on my way home from SW Florida. I put the dogs in the car and wanted to fill up my water bottle for the road. I had already filled it with ice from the ice maker on my floor. There was a sign saying you couldn't fill up water bottles. I figured it was for hygenic reasons (DCL has this rule), so I used the tiny plastic orange juice cup to get water out of the juice machine. No one else was around or waiting. After my third tiny cup, when my water bottle was full, the staff approached me and told me I needed to go to the gym to fill my water bottle. I was pretty dumbfounded because I wasn't inconvenience anyone and it was water from a machine (so not like I was taking a huge amount of juice).

I did stop at my first Buc-ees in Florence, SC today. It overwhelmed me. Crossed it off my bucket list.

My trip was okay--loved seeing my parents and spending time with my daughter. My dad's health has definitely deteriorated and he won't acknowledge that. And the second day I was there my 16-year old dog got sick. I ended up taking her to the vet because her paw was a disaster and she wasn't eating and it's clear the poor thing won't make it much longer. I just can't keep weight on her (she used to be ginormous). I was supposed to be there for three weeks but one week sort of did me in.
I was reading this and thinking 3 weeks flew by, as I'm kinda busy at times and lose track.

Sorry about your pup of 16. I thought I was losing my Yorkie last week but it must have just been a bad morning as he quickly bounced back. He'll be 14 this year.

I found Buc-ees somewhat entertaining for one visit, but unless it's the best priced gas, or someone is with me that wants to see it, I don't feel the need to go back. Takes too much time, but they do have the cleanest restrooms. Still easier to just run into a rest area.

Do you mind sharing your itinerary or where you are staying? My DD will be turning 16 in September and I think she’d very much enjoy a girls trip to NYC. She loves all things Broadway and I don’t even know where to begin but have been pondering a fall birthday trip. Ideally I’d like to use points - Hyatt and fly SW/Delta on miles. She’s my companion for the CP on SW. my DH has tons of Marriott and I can use both UR and MR.

I’m open to all ideas and suggestions if you or others have them! It would just be the 2 of us (she’s my only) and is a great travel partner. The typical touristy things are good as well- Statue, Memorial, museums. She’d love to see several shows if possible.
I’d recommend strongly applying for the broadway lotteries. You can apply to all that are available every day, matinee and evening shows, if you’ll be there for a few days and flexible with plans. Even if you bought tickets to the show she really wants to see, and then applied to lotteries for the others, It’s a great way to be able to see a few extra shows without breaking the bank if you get chosen!

We are at the Hilton Paris Opera and they sent us a lengthy list of tours and excursions that we could book with trusted guides. Eiffel Tower summit tours were amongst them. We lucked out and grabbed some on our own, though. But I saw Moulin Rouge, the Louvre, Versailles and even Normandy and wine country tours.
Just got home from staying there. The doormen are so nice and helpful!

I've heard Eiffel and Lourve have been closed sporadically because of strikes. I didn't do much sightseeing, just a girls trip to shop! City Pharma!

I was reading this and thinking 3 weeks flew by, as I'm kinda busy at times and lose track.

Sorry about your pup of 16. I thought I was losing my Yorkie last week but it must have just been a bad morning as he quickly bounced back. He'll be 14 this year.

I found Buc-ees somewhat entertaining for one visit, but unless it's the best priced gas, or someone is with me that wants to see it, I don't feel the need to go back. Takes too much time, but they do have the cleanest restrooms. Still easier to just run into a rest area.
Oh, no it was only one week. For a variety of reasons I cut the trip short:(

Glad your Yorkie bounced back. I'm thinking we have maybe a few more months with my 16-year old. Just enjoying every day:)

I’d recommend strongly applying for the broadway lotteries. You can apply to all that are available every day, matinee and evening shows, if you’ll be there for a few days and flexible with plans. Even if you bought tickets to the show she really wants to see, and then applied to lotteries for the others, It’s a great way to be able to see a few extra shows without breaking the bank if you get chosen!
Oh thank you! This is a great idea! I’ll read up on how/where to do this.

We have flights booked on Alaska Airlines for an afternoon flight. We would have preferred the morning flight, but it was about $300 higher. The flight isn't until June and they've already adjusted the flight time back by 20 minutes. Does there ever come a point where we can try to switch to the morning flight due to them changing our originally booked time?

I feel like I've read something about this once, but can't find anything on it.

Thanks!

My plan (not a Magenta plan) says unlimited text/data up to 256Kbps and 25 cents per minute for calls. I don't understand wht 256kbps means but it didn't sound great and it probably isn't based on what you are getting on Magenta LOL. thanks!

I will look into this. thanks!

I have an older simple choice plan with TMobile and I have used the standard text/data in many European countries without needing to pay for any add-ons. Yes, it can be slow or even unusable on occasion, but I have managed to get by.

If you really think you need more, TMob has the international pass which you can buy for a day, 10days (I think) or a month - that will give you unlimited calling as well as some high speed data.

We have flights booked on Alaska Airlines for an afternoon flight. We would have preferred the morning flight, but it was about $300 higher. The flight isn't until June and they've already adjusted the flight time back by 20 minutes. Does there ever come a point where we can try to switch to the morning flight due to them changing our originally booked time?

I feel like I've read something about this once, but can't find anything on it.

Thanks!
It's carrier specific. I know I've had luck with Delta on changes that small. Alaska has a written policy of any change of more than 1 hour and you can get a refund, I would expect that is where you would be sure to get what you want. I see very little downside to calling and asking to be changed.

We were able to get a lake view studio at bay lake tower for two nights from dvc rental store today. It’ll overlap ds’s birthday next month (turning 3 😱). We’ve never been during his actual birthday so I’m pretty excited! I think we’re gonna keep it a secret from him and not tell him when we’re driving over where we’re staying. Then on his actual birthday letting him choose which park to go to (most likely Epcot) and picking out his first magic band. He loves the arcade at the contemporary so he’ll be super happy about that lol

All of this talk about needing extended time for international connections is making me nervous about my 2 hour connection time in Amsterdam. I’m arriving from Houston and going on to Frankfurt arriving next Monday April 3. I had a nonstop from IAH to FRA but I’m concerned about the airport and train strikes in Germany. Plus I wanted a lie flat seat on the overseas leg. So glad I made the change on Saturday because the points have more than doubled for the same flight. I can change to a later flight if I need to from AMS to FRA. Any frequent travelers who have connected thru AMS? Would love some input.
Not firsthand, but we flew DD through AMS when she was living abroad and came home to visit. She said it was smaller than LHR and CDG so it wasn't bad at all. Even with a shorter layover she had time to dip into the KLM lounge and get a stroopwaffle. I wouldn't stress too much over it since there are usually later flights they can move you to if you miss the scheduled one (unless you're getting in really late). In other words, it's possible (we made the CDG 2hr connection time even with the broken jetway) but I just prefer to have a buffer when possible.

DH and I have had a productive couple weeks. We made the 2 hour drive each way to our nearest TSA Pre-Check location and got signed up. We had a 4:20 pm appt on Friday and had our KTN numbers by noon on Sunday. Way faster than I expected! Got it added to all of our upcoming flights. Today we went to USPS and sent off for our very first passports. We have a cruise the last week of July so hopefully we will have them by then. We didn’t pay for expedited processing..honestly I just didn’t want to spend an additional $120, so hopefully it was a good decision and they’ll arrive on time. If not, we will just have to use our birth certificates like we’ve always done. Either way we are excited for our WDW trip in May and our July cruise to the Bahamas, which we’ve never been to before!!

My DD and I have been taking trips to NYC since she was a baby! She’s 27 now. Her first musical was Beauty and the Beast when she was 14 months old! She has been attending Broadway shows ever since! We mix up our trips but they always include at least one or 2 shows and shopping. We have stayed at various hotels in the theater district. I prefer north of Times Square. Our favorite hotel is the Manhattan Club on 56th Street. A good location between Central Park and Times Square. My sister has RCI points and have scored rooms for many of our trips at that hotel. I used my C1 $300 travel credit to book a suite for my DS and I this summer. I love the fact that there are 2 bathrooms and a separate bedroom from the living room with a pull out sofa bed and a mini kitchen. My favorite site for discount tickets is broadwayforbrokepeople.com
We enter multiple lotteries, have done the in person lottery for Wicked, done rush tickets and have gotten tickets at TKTS in Times Square. We occasionally pay full price if there’s a show we really want to see. We love going to Ellen’s Starlight Diner on 51st and Broadway. There’s always a line and the food is not stellar but if she loves show tunes, it is very entertaining!
We’ve done afternoon tea at the Plaza. There are lots of good diners: Juniors, Brooklyn diner. We like Carmines on 44th St. for Italian food. 5th Avenue north of 50th for window shopping. We always make a stop at the Disney store in Times Square and she enjoyed shopping at American Eagle and Forever 21 in Times Square area as a 16 year old. A carriage ride through Central Park is also fun. We’ve also walked a lot of the park as well.
There are so many great shows. Moulin Rouge is Amazing! Also love Hamilton, Six, Wicked. Lea Michelle is starring in Funny Girl if you’re a Glee fan. Have fun planning! And just like WDW, you can’t do everything in one trip! So plan on going back!

Last edited:

https://playbill.com/article/broadway-rush-lottery-and-standing-room-only-policies-com-116003

I use this site for lottery info. Broadway for Broke People used yo be great, but it hasn’t been updated in forever .

Can’t really help with hotels as I’m a train ride away, but there are a few Hyatt’s and IHG hotels I’ve stayed at with points. I don’t recommend the holiday inn in the garment district. While the hotel was fine, the elevator was a nightmare.

I would decide what you want to see and group them into areas, ie lower manhattan one day, midtown the next. And allow more time than you think you’ll need. I’ve been to the Met several times and still haven’t seen it all. And the Statue of Liberty takes a long time with the boat ride and all. There is an interesting tour of the old hospital if that’s something you think you’d like. We left for that from Ellis Island, which is separate from the Statue. If you just want to SEE the statue, the Staten Island Ferry is the way to go.

Broadway? Did somebody say Broadway?

Just got back. We saw "Sweeney Todd." We were in the Mezzanine. It was full of younger people (20-something). They were very enthusiastic. The noise from the applause during the curtain call was like nothing I'd heard before. But it was selling out even before it got rave reviews, so you probably won't get a discount on this one.

We got tickets to another show at the TKTS booth in Times Square. https://www.tdf.org/discount-ticket-programs/tkts-by-tdf/tkts-live/ It has an app which lets you see which shows they have been carrying. Those are same-day tickets. You might get a big discount, but sometimes what they are discounting are the highest price tickets, so you might come out better buying a lower-priced ticket at the box office.

That can also be an option - if you are in the area anyway, sometimes you can get tickets at the theatre's box office and that will save you paying the online fees.

Some shows DD might like:
- Six
- & Juliet
- Wicked.

If your daughter loves all things Broadway, you might let her pick one show for which you will buy tickets online in advance, and then see what discounts you can get for other shows.

The Marriott Marquis is right in the theatre district, but probably requires a ton of points. If you have the points AND if you can find a room for the nights you want, it's literally steps from numerous theatres. 1535 Broadway, New York NY 10036. It's right next door to the theatre where Hamilton is.

The Courtyard New York Manhattan/Midtown East promotes itself as being "close to Times Square," but it's quite a walk. It's in the same building as the Memorial Sloan Kettering cancer center medical offices, so people with medical appointments tend to stay there. I would not book it for a theatre-oriented stay. 866 Third Avenue, New York NY 10022.

I'm not a lot of help re hotels, but if you have questions about shows, buying tickets, stage dooring, etc., I'm happy to try to help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter