I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

When you search for the Swan, for example, it will show you this. It's part of the Hotel Collection. You'll get the credit and upgrade if available; you don't get breakfast, late checkout, etc. I recall when staying at The Dolphin that the credit was good towards food & beverage, but when I asked if it was good towards the resort fee, was told no. However, I noted the credit posted right away against the portfolio, so it may have cover any room charges. YMMV.

View attachment 737759
Thank you so much, clearly I was reading things wrong and this helps a lot. I'll have to mull things over if it's worth it switching.

I've done this, too, but have to talk to a clerk to get the MOs which is a pain. I use Walmart but haven't tried Food Lion. Are there ATMs at Food Lion that you can use to purchase MOs?

I really wish one could combine VGCs to streamline getting MOs!
What gift cards in particular do you use to buy money orders at Walmart? I've tried and haven't gotten it to work. It seems like some will work and some won't at different places. The ones I buy work at the grocery store I go to but the ones that Office Depot sells don't work there. I'd love to be able to buy money order from Walmart.

What gift cards in particular do you use to buy money orders at Walmart? I've tried and haven't gotten it to work. It seems like some will work and some won't at different places. The ones I buy work at the grocery store I go to but the ones that Office Depot sells don't work there. I'd love to be able to buy money order from Walmart.
Visa from Staples. But you have to find what works in your area. The closest Walmart near me is a no go, but the one the next city over works.

Can someone help me with a hotel decision? I need to book a specific Hilton hotel. Cash price is about $450. I could use 60,000 Hilton points or about 30,000 Chase UR points. Is one an obviously better choice? On one hand, I find Chase UR points easier to earn, but booking directly with Hilton would get some benefits (I still have Diamond status from an old AmEx card). Any other criteria I should consider?

Last edited:
Can someone help me with a hotel decision? I need to book a specific Hilton hotel. Cash price is about $450. I could use 60,000 Hilton points or about 30,000 Chase UR points. Is one an obviously better choice? On one hand, I find Chase UR points easier to earn, but booking directly with Hilton would get some benefits (I still have Diamond status from an old AmEx card). Any other criteria I should consider?

I value Hilton points at 0.45 cent per point, making 60k worth $270 to me. So I would use the Hilton points. If the hotel has resort fees, they would be waived with an award stay.

FYI The $900 Chase Bank bonus has ended. This means that new coupon codes cannot be generated, however, if you already have a coupon code that you emailed to yourself then it is still valid until the expiration date.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/targeted-chase-900-checking-savings-bonus/

That lasted pretty long given the popularity. They must have hit their marketing cap for expected redemptions. I think it just happened today, I know I used the link just to look at some terms over the weekend. I'll just reiterate my advice to grab a coupon code early whenever you can, if you think you may want to take advantage of a bank bonus. And then keep it in a safe place! I lost a code for an easy $500 bonus from somewhere else, and when I realized it they had pulled the link already. :headache:

When you search for the Swan, for example, it will show you this. It's part of the Hotel Collection. You'll get the credit and upgrade if available; you don't get breakfast, late checkout, etc. I recall when staying at The Dolphin that the credit was good towards food & beverage, but when I asked if it was good towards the resort fee, was told no. However, I noted the credit posted right away against the portfolio, so it may have cover any room charges. YMMV.

View attachment 737759
When I used to stay at Swann 'back in the day' before Marriott took over, a balcony was considered a room upgrade. Usually they would upgrade me to a resort view plus a balcony. Both were considered upgrades at Westin. Sheraton had it's own rules at Dolphin, but I primarily preferred the Westin chain. A couple of times I was offered a junior suite and I took it one time. Swann used to also have club level and my status at the time also qualified for that. Everything changed with Marriott.

AF on my SW biz hit. Can I even downgrade that card or do I just need to cancel? Also, are all my SW points safe since they're tied to my SW accounts and not still attached to the card somehow?

FYI The $900 Chase Bank bonus has ended. This means that new coupon codes cannot be generated, however, if you already have a coupon code that you emailed to yourself then it is still valid until the expiration date.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/targeted-chase-900-checking-savings-bonus/

That lasted pretty long given the popularity. They must have hit their marketing cap for expected redemptions. I think it just happened today, I know I used the link just to look at some terms over the weekend. I'll just reiterate my advice to grab a coupon code early whenever you can, if you think you may want to take advantage of a bank bonus. And then keep it in a safe place! I lost a code for an easy $500 bonus from somewhere else, and when I realized it they had pulled the link already. :headache:
Wow. Just opened it over the weekend for DW. Thought it was supposed to go through April.

Decided to jump into pushing for a SW Companion Pass so as a start to that I applied for and was approved for the business card. As part of the application there's a note about this being for business purposes and not for personal use so my question to everyone regarding this is how strict they are to actually monitoring charges and flagging things as non business expenses. I could probably easily keep this within normal qualifying business expenses but my goal was to move a majority of my monthly spend over to this to begin working off the additional charges I needed to hit the 135,000 CP goal and then apply for the personal card in two months then move all spending over to that card. But if I can't move a majority of my monthly spend to the business card and need to wait for the personal card for that it's going to constrain my time to unlocking the CP a bit.

Decided to jump into pushing for a SW Companion Pass so as a start to that I applied for and was approved for the business card. As part of the application there's a note about this being for business purposes and not for personal use so my question to everyone regarding this is how strict they are to actually monitoring charges and flagging things as non business expenses. I could probably easily keep this within normal qualifying business expenses but my goal was to move a majority of my monthly spend over to this to begin working off the additional charges I needed to hit the 135,000 CP goal and then apply for the personal card in two months then move all spending over to that card. But if I can't move a majority of my monthly spend to the business card and need to wait for the personal card for that it's going to constrain my time to unlocking the CP a bit.
Chase doesn’t care. There are fewer consumer protections on biz cards but what you charge doesn’t matter unless you’re concerned about extended warranty or things like that. You could probably make a case for most personal charges being biz related ie lunch, call it food for staff

Thanks, lol I was already intending on food being a qualifying expense since yes there's no way of knowing if I'm using that as a business meal or a family one. I was more concerned with Target/Walmart/Amazon and whether there would be any scoffing over those. But if they truly don't care then it alleviates the initial concerns I had with keeping on pace with my planned spend.

Ok, I’m trying here for advice because we have a lot of hyatt and instacart fans here.

We’re going on dcl next month (yay!). Flying into Mco Friday night and staying at Hyatt in the airport. As southwest sucks and doesn’t have many nonstops from Philly anymore, we’re flying from Baltimore are arriving around 11pm.

I’d really like to get an instacart delivery of sunscreen and wine so we don’t have to deal with checked bags.

Has anyone ever had an instacart delivery to the Hyatt Mco? Will they take the delivery if you have not arrived? Any idea if they will take alcohol in a delivery?

I posted on the cruise board and emailed the hotel, but haven’t gotten a response.

AF on my SW biz hit. Can I even downgrade that card or do I just need to cancel? Also, are all my SW points safe since they're tied to my SW accounts and not still attached to the card somehow?
Not sure about downgrading but your points are safe. DW and I canceled our only SW cards last year and the point stayed in both of our accounts. If the card comes with any perks or credits that you can use I would use those before canceling.

Thanks, lol I was already intending on food being a qualifying expense since yes there's no way of knowing if I'm using that as a business meal or a family one. I was more concerned with Target/Walmart/Amazon and whether there would be any scoffing over those. But if they truly don't care then it alleviates the initial concerns I had with keeping on pace with my planned spend.
I have literally charged everything from doctor bills to home insurance to Premier League football tickets on biz cards. No worries.

Unfortunately there isn’t a SW card with no annual fee to downgrade to.
Your points are safe if you cancel the card…just wait until the anniversary points are posted to your RR account

Chase just changed the SW SUB for personal cards from a support. Thru 3/19/23 the SUB is earn CP through 2/28/24 and 30,000 RR pts. It did not list the MSR. The Chase website is still listing the 50,000 pts SUB. I was just getting ready to have DD apply from a support from DH as he works on earning a CP. I will need to check later today to see if the saved link will still work for 50,000 RR pts or if DD will need to wait. DD needs the higher RR pts not a CP so this offer is not better for us.

DD received two mailings for an AMEX Gold with 90,000 MR's good through March. I was going to have her get the SW first and then the AMEX in March. I guess if SW does not work now we will switch and do AMEX first.

I haven't pulled the trigger on the Chase $900 bank bonus yet, since we can't change our direct deposits for our jobs. But we are getting a very small state tax refund, and am wondering if that will trigger the direct deposit requirement? Does it matter if the refund is in DH's name, but I open the account in my name?

ETA: Yes I do have a coupon for the offer, that doesn't expire until 4/19.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter