I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I made a churning mistake in Canada recently :scared::scared:. It was with a Cdn AP Visa and the SUB was 10k AP pts with first purchase and 35k pts on $1,500 in first 90 days. I loaded a prepaid Visa card for my trip to Brussels, Amsterdam and Paris with $500 before I left and counted it towards the MSR. I had to call yesterday to see why I was charged interest when I paid the balance in full and was told it was because I had made a cash advance; since I never make cash advances I said that I did not recall doing such. It was then that the CSR told me that when I loaded the card with Euros it was considered a cash advance. She kindly reversed the interest. Since I have my investment portfolio with the bank that issued the card I inquired as to why I hadn't received the 35k AP pts yet despite meeting the MSR. The CSR said that cash advances don't count. Yikes. It had never occurred to me that loading the prepaid card (DUH!) would count as a cash advance. I kindly asked if she could ask a supervisor if they could make an exception for my absolute stupidity; after a somewhat lengthy hold she said that they would request the miles be credited to my account as a special exception. I don't have a lot of cards with this bank, rarely churn them and have had my investments there for over 30 years, so felt okay asking. But it's not something that I would do again. Lesson learned. Hopefully the pts will show up in my account; if not, then I will not call again.

I wanted to post a happy note!

While reconciling my accounts today, I found that my TD bank $200 checking bonus has posted! That is my first bank bonus, since I am new to this game. Chase should follow in a couple of weeks.

I have been giggling a little reading all of your globe-trotting adventures and luxury hotels... I just used P2's CSP 80k URs to get us a couple free nights in a Homewood Suites in Colorado for a wedding this fall, along with covering his plane ticket. The other 3 tickets and the rental car are OOP (but hey, that means new points, right?)

80k CSP offer was supposed to end at 9am ET today. I still see if available on my support link, but some affliates are reporting their links are dead. So if you've been holding out, I wouldn't stall on this.
I just gave it a try through P2's link at 5:15p ET and it is down to 60K SUB. When I heard it was ending today, I guess I just assumed it would be at 11:59PM, not in the morning. Oh well, win some lose some.

With Chase offers, check on the app also. I was able to add offers to my brand new debit card (10% Best Buy, 10% Lowe's, some others), and that wasn't an option when I log in on the website. The debit card only shows up in the app.

Is there a way to hide accounts on BofA? Mom added me to her checking for emergencies when she's out of state and it automatically linked to my login.

It's not an issue but I'd rather have it hidden so only my cc's show. I don't see an option on the app and will look at the website later but thought I'd ask here too.

While reconciling my accounts today, I found that my TD bank $200 checking bonus has posted! That is my first bank bonus, since I am new to this game. Chase should follow in a couple of weeks.

I have been giggling a little reading all of your globe-trotting adventures and luxury hotels... I just used P2's CSP 80k URs to get us a couple free nights in a Homewood Suites in Colorado for a wedding this fall, along with covering his plane ticket. The other 3 tickets and the rental car are OOP (but hey, that means new points, right?)
I don't use my points for high end air travel or hotels either, we are much more low key travelers here. It's all good!

To add to all the Japan talk, we're not even a week back yet and DH is asking me to plan a return trip, LOL. Tbh, we have enough URs we could use for flights already. I would just need to work on accumulating hotel points, or find some other accommodation alternative. He is interested in doing the two tips... Fukuoka (w/ Nagasaki/Hiroshima trips) and Sapporo/Hokkaido and national park there. Guess I'm jumping back into research land, as I know nothing about these areas, if a car is needed, etc. Since our trips for next year are already planned, we're looking at returning in 2024 (when we were planning Europe, but honestly at this point I don't mind returning to Japan instead, it was just so awesome!).
Would you fly ANA using your URs?

We all started somewhere and now you're on your way! Who knows where a few years of this could find you?... My first card I opened for bonus miles was an AA back in the day because I wanted to fly across the country to see family but I wasn't going to be able to scrape together the cash. Soon after that I discovered the wonderful world of bank bonuses and then the CSR called my name really enticing me into cc churning. Having stashed up some nice point balances globe trotting adventures started calling my name!

As a solo traveler, this would have really scared me. I wonder how this woman got up to your floor? Did the elevator require a key card to access guest floors? When I was staying at the horrible Marriott Grand Palace Brussels (a hotel which I *do not* recommend), they had unhoused people living within a few feet of the front doors of the hotel. As unsightly as it was, being from a large city it didn't bother me very much (except when they were smoking stinky stuff and calling out to me as I entered and exited the hotel), but what *really, really* bothered me was the fact that the hotel did not have key card access in the elevator (singular since 2 elevators were out of service) turned on. Which meant that said unhoused people could enter the hotel and take the elevator up to any guest floor of their choosing at any time. With the renovations going on the front desk had no visual on the elevator and there was no one at the door to restrict access to the lobby. As a solo traveler I take my safety very seriously and any hotel that doesn't is one that I won't stay at.
Elevators did not have a key scan requirement. I remember thinking about that prior to this incident. Specifically that it was unusual to not have it based on the location, but I didn't think about it again until you mentioned it. I honestly think she was a hotel guest that was out of it and had the wrong room. I say that because she was dressed "normally," and I remember that she was wearing a fleece jacket with a company name/logo on it.

I just gave it a try through P2's link at 5:15p ET and it is down to 60K SUB. When I heard it was ending today, I guess I just assumed it would be at 11:59PM, not in the morning. Oh well, win some lose some.
I did it at 12:45pm CST and it was still 80,000 on the Chase site. I hope I don’t have any issues.
Edited to add: I found the tracker and it is 80,000. Yay!! And thanks to all of you who posted the elevated offer and when it was ending. I could not have done this without you.

Last edited:
I would love if ANA became easier to book. Their new business class seats are so nice!
I'm sure you've mentioned this but I just started paying attention to ANA talk. Everything is waitlisted--is that the issue? And has it always been like that? Sorry, my ds really wants to go to Japan and I want a non-stop from IAD and really don't want to fly coach so I'm trying to figure ANA out.

I'm sure you've mentioned this but I just started paying attention to ANA talk. Everything is waitlisted--is that the issue? And has it always been like that? Sorry, my ds really wants to go to Japan and I want a non-stop from IAD and really don't want to fly coach so I'm trying to figure ANA out.
I was able to book ANA first class from ORD to BKK through Tokyo going and coming back. It was pretty easy to find availability, but I'm traveling in January (not peak season lol). United is part of Star Alliance, so I'd think that open award seats would show up there, same as they do on the AC website. Be ready to jump on the seats as soon as the booking window opens -- I'd be doing practice runs for several days leading up to the date that you want to book.

I was able to book ANA first class from ORD to BKK through Tokyo going and coming back. It was pretty easy to find availability, but I'm traveling in January (not peak season lol). United is part of Star Alliance, so I'd think that open award seats would show up there, same as they do on the AC website. Be ready to jump on the seats as soon as the booking window opens -- I'd be doing practice runs for several days leading up to the date that you want to book.
Yeah we would need 3 seats and I’m not sure they even release that many. I thought I saw they only do 2 but I might be wrong.

To add to all the Japan talk, we're not even a week back yet and DH is asking me to plan a return trip, LOL. Tbh, we have enough URs we could use for flights already. I would just need to work on accumulating hotel points, or find some other accommodation alternative. He is interested in doing the two tips... Fukuoka (w/ Nagasaki/Hiroshima trips) and Sapporo/Hokkaido and national park there. Guess I'm jumping back into research land, as I know nothing about these areas, if a car is needed, etc. Since our trips for next year are already planned, we're looking at returning in 2024 (when we were planning Europe, but honestly at this point I don't mind returning to Japan instead, it was just so awesome!).

We're planning to go to Hokkaido too. Thinking we'll stay in Sapporo and do day trips to Otaru and Furano (will rent a car for the day). I was also looking at Noboribetsu, but not sure we'll fit it in.

Miyajima is lovely if you get a chance to go there when you go to Hiroshima. I especially loved staying overnight and seeing the torii gate at night.

We're planning to go to Hokkaido too. Thinking we'll stay in Sapporo and do day trips to Otaru and Furano (will rent a car for the day). I was also looking at Noboribetsu, but not sure we'll fit it in.

Miyajima is lovely if you get a chance to go there when you go to Hiroshima. I especially loved staying overnight and seeing the torii gate at night.
I loved Miyajima also. I would go back there before doing Hiroshima again. I liked the Daisho-in temple and all of the little buddha statues with hats

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter