I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys - anywhere online I can get Disney Gift Cards and use Pay Yourself Back via my CSR?
Dining, grocery stores, home improvement stores - I know I can buy in-store at the grocery store but anything available online that will work? Does BJ's code as a grocery store?

So funny. I have never heard them referred to that way- ”crabs in the shell”. We always just call them “steamed crabs” or “hard shell crabs.” I love them but couldn’t stand the smell or taste of them when I was pregnant with DS. Thank goodness that went away!

I think I was trying to differentiate between the crab cakes and the steamed crabs! Lol, I usually just say 'crabs' also.

Yes, the migration is the key time for Blackwater and in October/November. Even early spring, but definitely a fly/mosquito fest in summer. This time of year I watch the webcam and that's about it. They warn you on the website to come prepared with insect repellant but I prefer to stay away until they are gone. Same with Assateague in summer - if you stay on the beach you are fine but get on the short trails and get eaten alive.

I rarely do crab cakes unless I make them myself. I don't care for a lot of filler or big onion chunks. But I did get to have crabs in the shell for 4th of July as son in law had a bushel at his house on Sunday. He hired a caterer to do a spread because none of us want to cook! Still, we were eating outside and something was biting at my ankles. So I retreated to inside. But the food was great and I enjoyed myself.
We are going to Assateague one night. My plan is to arrive early afternoon from DC, I have a sunset kayak trip booked that says will take us to see wildlife and horses (called Assateague explorers but seems to be in Chincoteague). I had a hard time finding accommodations so have a Hampton Inn booked inland. There is one Comfort Suites on Chincoteague that seems nice, on the water, but will the mosquitos be so bad that we won't be able to enjoy the tiny balcony?

If the CSP adds that stuff the AF is going up so I would be inclined to hit the bonus now. I can see them not adding good stuff to the CSR because they still haven’t rolled out the AF increase to grandfathered card holders.
My husband and I just received our mailed notice of cardmember changes letting us know that our annual fee would go up on our 9/1/21 renewal. I think I will keep mine, downgrade his (after transferring all points to me), and if the 100k offer is still around at that point, have him apply for the CSP. I've thought his path out, now I have to figure out if I keep my CSR longer term or downgrade to upgrade again at a later date. The additional benefits seem much better for the CSP and not commesurate with the annual fee of the CSR. If I downgrade, will I need to wait a year before upgrading again? I do use the CSR to book cheap flights through their portal but the next maybe feasible redemption for us would be around Thanskgiving but more likely Easter or next summer.

What is the CSP fee going up to? I just cancelled my CIP yesterday, in favor of keeping the CSP because I only wanted one card with an AF :-(

We are going to Assateague one night. My plan is to arrive early afternoon from DC, I have a sunset kayak trip booked that says will take us to see wildlife and horses (called Assateague explorers but seems to be in Chincoteague). I had a hard time finding accommodations so have a Hampton Inn booked inland. There is one Comfort Suites on Chincoteague that seems nice, on the water, but will the mosquitos be so bad that we won't be able to enjoy the tiny balcony?

My husband and I just received our mailed notice of cardmember changes letting us know that our annual fee would go up on our 9/1/21 renewal. I think I will keep mine, downgrade his (after transferring all points to me), and if the 100k offer is still around at that point, have him apply for the CSP. I've thought his path out, now I have to figure out if I keep my CSR longer term or downgrade to upgrade again at a later date. The additional benefits seem much better for the CSP and not commesurate with the annual fee of the CSR. If I downgrade, will I need to wait a year before upgrading again? I do use the CSR to book cheap flights through their portal but the next maybe feasible redemption for us would be around Thanskgiving but more likely Easter or next summer.
We have stayed at that Comfort Suites a couple of times and found it to be nice and an easy walk to get dinner. I don’t remember lots of mosquitoes but it has been awhile. We did the drive over from VA Beach through the bridge/tunnel, which is freaky!

What is the CSP fee going up to? I just cancelled my CIP yesterday, in favor of keeping the CSP because I only wanted one card with an AF :-(

we dont know for sure as its not posted on the new T&C... but our guesses are probably $150-$250. $250 guess is to match the Amex Gold. My guess would be $150 but i think its around that range.

we dont know for sure as its not posted on the new T&C... but our guesses are probably $150-$250. $250 guess is to match the Amex Gold. My guess would be $150 but i think its around that range.
So my AF posted this month still at $95.

Well that's depressing. Just missed a call about cancelling my CIP, maybe I will answer their 2nd call and not cancel that one LOL Do they ever give retention offers?

Hmmmm, though I'm still out of the game when it comes to CSP vs CSR vs trying for the MDD......I think I might almost be ready to accept only having the CSP, LOL. Originally I was going to jump ship once the AF went to $550, but then they extended a year, gave a retention credit, etc.

Is there a 3 mos wait between business and personal chase cards? Or only personal? I got the CIU in June.
The 3 months is recommended between any chase applications

Hi guys - anywhere online I can get Disney Gift Cards and use Pay Yourself Back via my CSR?
Dining, grocery stores, home improvement stores - I know I can buy in-store at the grocery store but anything available online that will work? Does BJ's code as a grocery store?
Unfortunately it does not

Assateague Explorers is definitely coming out of Chincoteague. I've never done their tour so really have no information to offer on them. It looks like the kayak trip will be along the western side of Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge which is on the southern end of Assateague Island. They have their own band of horses, separate from the Maryland end.

These are the ones where they round them up and sell the ponies each year. The Maryland ones are not sold, and they have a managed herd to keep the numbers down to about 150. The ones I usually post photos of are on the Maryland end of Assateague National Seashore. I've never been able to get up close to the Chincoteague horses, so I'll be interested in your experience.

It's difficult to say whether you will have mosquitos or not sitting on a balcony if you stay at the Comfort Inn. I don't usually notice any mosquitos when I'm at Hyatt or others that are ocean front in Ocean City, but usually it's breezy or a higher floor.
I've stayed at the Fairfield Inn (very good) on Chincoteague and didn't have a mosquito issue. All the hotels on Chincoteague are pretty much on the same side of the island, facing Chincoteague Bay area. I've never stayed at the Comfort Inn, but would have no problem trying it out. I would also find it preferable to backtracking out of the Chincoteague area after doing an evening kayak tour, mosquitos or not, lol.

I have definitely experienced mosquitos in the Chincoteague Wildlife Refuge. It's mostly wooded and you go through it to get to the beach - east side of the island.

I would definitely stock up on repellant for the kayak trip, just in case, even though you will be on the water. Something tells me that being close enough to the western shore to see the horses will mean mosquitos, but hopefully I am 100% wrong about that.

Also, depending on day of travel, expect closer to 4 hours from DC to Chincoteague Island. Maybe more depending on traffic. It builds early on Fridays and can also be pretty heavy on Saturdays.

Albort, you are the bearer of bad news. I'm planned to downgrade when the time comes. But - I haven't read the new changes so who knows?

Did retention AMEX online chat for Personal Platinum card. I said I wanted to cancel and was offered 60k MR points for $4k spend. I accepted since that covers my $595 Annual Fee right off the bat. I did try and get a statement credit or check for an offer with no spend however nothing was offered. Not too bad 2 years and 2 retention offers (Last year did it slightly early and before the fee was charged). Let's go one more year!

Last edited:
Did retention AMEX online chat for Personal Platinum card. I said I wanted to cancel and was offered 60k MR points for $4k spend. I accepted since that covers my $595 Annual Fee right off the bat. I did try and get a statement credit or check for an offer with no spend however nothing was offered. Not too bad 2 years and 2 retention offers (Last year did it slightly early and before the fee was charged). Let's go one more year!
I thought you couldn't get two in a row (do you think it worked because you had 13 months between offers?) so that's wonderful. I have a Personal Platinum to cancel and a CS Personal Platinum renewing this month (so I'll be trying for a retention offer). Plus two Biz Platinums.

Last edited:
Assateague Explorers is definitely coming out of Chincoteague. I've never done their tour so really have no information to offer on them. It looks like the kayak trip will be along the western side of Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge which is on the southern end of Assateague Island. They have their own band of horses, separate from the Maryland end.

These are the ones where they round them up and sell the ponies each year. The Maryland ones are not sold, and they have a managed herd to keep the numbers down to about 150. The ones I usually post photos of are on the Maryland end of Assateague National Seashore. I've never been able to get up close to the Chincoteague horses, so I'll be interested in your experience.

It's difficult to say whether you will have mosquitos or not sitting on a balcony if you stay at the Comfort Inn. I don't usually notice any mosquitos when I'm at Hyatt or others that are ocean front in Ocean City, but usually it's breezy or a higher floor.
I've stayed at the Fairfield Inn (very good) on Chincoteague and didn't have a mosquito issue. All the hotels on Chincoteague are pretty much on the same side of the island, facing Chincoteague Bay area. I've never stayed at the Comfort Inn, but would have no problem trying it out. I would also find it preferable to backtracking out of the Chincoteague area after doing an evening kayak tour, mosquitos or not, lol.

I have definitely experienced mosquitos in the Chincoteague Wildlife Refuge. It's mostly wooded and you go through it to get to the beach - east side of the island.

I would definitely stock up on repellant for the kayak trip, just in case, even though you will be on the water. Something tells me that being close enough to the western shore to see the horses will mean mosquitos, but hopefully I am 100% wrong about that.

Also, depending on day of travel, expect closer to 4 hours from DC to Chincoteague Island. Maybe more depending on traffic. It builds early on Fridays and can also be pretty heavy on Saturdays.
Y'all are making me want to day trip from Hampton, VA in September. Seems doable, spend a day, maybe see some ponies. I (and my littles) get to Virginia Beach on Monday and fly our Friday so only have 3 full days with my daughter. I'll have to ask her if she'd want to. I really have no plans while I'm there at this point other than hugs and seeing my grand-kitties lol

Good going! Just last week, pre 7/1, I got retention offers for 30K for no spend on both my Plat and DH's Plat (despite fishing a couple different times). And I signed up DD as AU Gold on DH's Plat for 20K MR for $2K spend. I didn't jump on the 20K MR $2K AU offer on my Plat when I had the chance, darn it. I chatted with Amex about getting the statement credit for concurrently holding a corporate green Amex since it didn't post like it was supposed to automatically, but when it does it should take $150 off his Plat too.

DH‘s CSP app is stuck at 30 days (ok I’m being impatient as it has been a week and part of the week was the holiday). If “he” wanted to call, should he try the status line or recon line? Just want to know if anything we can do to push this along. I want to refer some friends but if he isn’t approved soon, will just tell them to go ahead since we’re assuming the offer ends next week.

DH‘s CSP app is stuck at 30 days (ok I’m being impatient as it has been a week and part of the week was the holiday). If “he” wanted to call, should he try the status line or recon line? Just want to know if anything we can do to push this along. I want to refer some friends but if he isn’t approved soon, will just tell them to go ahead since we’re assuming the offer ends next week.

I called as soon as mine was not instantly approved. They were able to move credit around and approve me right then. They need 5K for the card.

I can be patient but saw no need to wait if I could get it done by talking to them.

I called as soon as mine was not instantly approved. They were able to move credit around and approve me right then. They need 5K for the card.

I can be patient but saw no need to wait if I could get it done by talking to them.
Which number did you call?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter