I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're leaving tomorrow for the Disney trip that inspired me to start churning last August! I wanted to shout out a huge thank you for everyone who has helped answer questions and offered guidance since starting this journey 16 months ago. We obviously didn't get to travel much this year, but we have several trips planned, that hopefully will be able to happen in 2021, and have most of the points we need for our January 2022 trip to Disney. I'm still kicking myself over all the points that I could have earned if I would have joined this thread much earlier, but I'm grateful for what I've been able to accomplish since last August.

Got a question for eBay sellers...

I’ve been stepping up my small biz on eBay this fall and now into winter. I had my CF set up to pay for shipping my merch through PayPal until I hit my $1500 (not even mostly shipping for that total! My biz is not that big) then recently switched my card in PayPal to default to my Amex Bonvoy biz in order to pay those shipping charges. But I’m not getting 4x points - only 2x, so apparently any Amex card won’t be the best for eBay shipping? What card does everyone use for this for the most value? CIP?

Stamps.com has a free account for eBay sellers, and I think pirateship is completely free as well. I started using stamps.com so I could use a CC to pay postage. I usually use my CIP since it has 3x points on shipping. You have to preload funds, I usually have it reload $100 at a time once my balance dips below $10, but if you are super part time you can calculate shipping and load your account with the amount you need to ship a single package.

Ok, a little off the beaten path but I'm looking for ideas from veterans. My number 1 financial goal for 2021 is to up my giving to 10%. I'm at 3.5% now so it'll be a huge shift in focus for me this year.

How can credit cards be of benefit in that? I don't want to overlook any creative ways to use credit cards in achieving this goal. I know when you donate by credit card, the charities do not get the full amount, but it's just most convenient so I'm hoping that 98-ish% is better than nothing. Are there any cards or strategies that reward more giving?

Happy New Year! Although I'm still new here, I am very thankful for all the help this nice group provided so far.

I cancelled my current SW Premier and applied for the SW Performance last night using my professional service as my side business instead of reselling and got the "needs more review" message. I guess worst case scenario is I end up with only the personal card in a month and it takes me longer to earn the CP.

There's no way to be certain by looking at the email. Right after you apply and are approved you can see the membership agreement online and there it will either show no annual fee for the first year or $595. I believe to date all of the offers received via email have had the annual fee waived the 1st year (despite not stating so in the email). Presumably this was unintended but even after the 1st statement has closed the annual fee has not posted. The folks getting the annual fee are the ones seeing the offer when logged into their amex account (not the emailed offer).
Thanks. I guess I’ll give it a whirl. Too bad I won’t be able to triple dip.

Happy New Year! I’ve been on here since 2018 and have learned so much. I thank all of you for your willingness to share your knowledge. Really hoping 2021 is the year I get to start using some of these points I’ve acquired!
Best wishes for a happy, healthy 2021 to all!

If anyone just got an Amex Plat and didn’t want the hassle of setting up your streaming service to Amex for just one month, here is a workaround for an Amazon gift card.

I can confirm the e-book gifting and conversion to gift card was successful with Amazon. Now to see if this triggers the streaming credit with Amex. Worst case, I bought myself an Amazon gift card.

Just adding,
Amazon Prime New or Renew Membership Can Now Be Paid With Gift Card Balance

Ok, a little off the beaten path but I'm looking for ideas from veterans. My number 1 financial goal for 2021 is to up my giving to 10%. I'm at 3.5% now so it'll be a huge shift in focus for me this year.

How can credit cards be of benefit in that? I don't want to overlook any creative ways to use credit cards in achieving this goal. I know when you donate by credit card, the charities do not get the full amount, but it's just most convenient so I'm hoping that 98-ish% is better than nothing. Are there any cards or strategies that reward more giving?

No strategies but some of the places I donate gives you the option to include the fee with your donation. I also think they all account for it since they'll get more donations this way.

There's no way to be certain by looking at the email. Right after you apply and are approved you can see the membership agreement online and there it will either show no annual fee for the first year or $595. I believe to date all of the offers received via email have had the annual fee waived the 1st year (despite not stating so in the email). Presumably this was unintended but even after the 1st statement has closed the annual fee has not posted. The folks getting the annual fee are the ones seeing the offer when logged into their amex account (not the emailed offer).
I got the email for this offer on 12/13. I’ve been going back and forth on it. Looks like I have till April to apply. If I knew for sure the fee would be waived I’d do it and just figure out how to meet the MSR. I should have moved on it sooner. DS has tuition due Jan 4 that I could have paid but doubt I’ll have the card by then. We have two MSRs we’re working on now. Also worried if I wait that they’ll fix what may be a glitch not billing the AF.

For those who got the no AF Biz Plat, how were you able to tell from the email? I see an email offer in DH’s.
I had to just chance it and hope!
I think Chase referral emails are finally being sent before they show up as pending points. I just received an email say "Your bonus is on the way," it added it to the 2020 referral points, but I wonder if they will count towards the 2021 since they won't go pending until Tuesday.
It will probably count towards your 2020 “limit” but will be on your 2021 1099 form. That’s been my experience.
These threads had a page one with tons of info? :rotfl2:
Dude... 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️

😂😂😂
Drat missed the first page!

Maybe next year...
Set and alarm...365 days... 😂
I'm reallllllllyyyyyy hoping that January brings some new cc bonus offers I can use....I need one desperately!
What are you hoping for? There’s a ton of great offers out there now, right?

I got the email for this offer on 12/13. I’ve been going back and forth on it. Looks like I have till April to apply. If I knew for sure the fee would be waived I’d do it and just figure out how to meet the MSR. I should have moved on it sooner. DS has tuition due Jan 4 that I could have paid but doubt I’ll have the card by then. We have two MSRs we’re working on now. Also worried if I wait that they’ll fix what may be a glitch not billing the AF.

You might get the card if you do it now. The card is usually expedited.

If you apply today you’ll have the card by then. Mine showed up in 36 hours I believe from app submit to doorstep. They rush this thing, 2-3 days max to arrive!

Happy New Year's Eve all!

No way (or least I can't figure it out) to quote from prior thread. On DH's Green Biz - chatted and was offered 5K MR for $3K spend in 3 months. Said nope to that. Still have CIU MSR to finish (1.2K) and the Hyatt I was just approved for and see in my informed delivery today. Don't think I could do it with the other spends and not that excited for the offer. I actually would have taken the $75 credit with no spend others were offered.

Mattress runs update
Marriott. I only needed 5 nights for Platinum. I found a close Fairfield Inn for $50/night (AAA hot deal) and $75 credit on my Amex Marriott Biz. On the drive over, I mentioned to my son how I was looking forward to traveling in 2021 and I felt that staying in a hotel wasn't the biggest risk. More afraid of public transport and in door crowds. Since we usually have outdoor trips, I thought 2021 was looking good. Checked in to the hotel on-line (really liked this as it sped things up at the desk) and room was ready at 10am. I still needed to stop at the desk for keys. The reception area was manned by a nose peeker! I still haven't gotten the nerve to say anything to someone who isn't wearing a mask correctly so I just kept stepping back from the desk! That was my first freak out. Next, as the room as on the 4th floor, I used the elevator. I didn't share with anyone but did see multiple groups jumping on when I came back down. There wasn't any sign so maybe that was the appropriate use, just left me feeling less excited about hotel stays.

Hyatt. I booked my first run at the days needed for Globalist. Again we have a close Hyatt for 5K points/night here. (Close for both of my mattress runs is 20 mins from my house). I had better luck here. Proper mask wearing at reception (again I checked in on-line and just needed keys). I was checked in and he acknowledged my (lowly) Discoverist status and offered me a water bottle. I did ride the elevator here and there was a sign limiting the elevator to 4 people. I liked that. I didn't see anyone else a the hotel so not sure if folks were observing this or not. This one bolstered me a bit on hotel stays.

Hi! I'm interested in getting advice on what credit card would be a good one to apply for. The last card I applied for was back in 2/19: SavorOne. I tend to avoid applying for cards with an annual fee.

My other info:
What amount of spend would you put on a card monthly?
I usually charge anything I can to my CCs (that doesn't require a fee) and avoid using cash to earn cash back. Things that I charge range from groceries, gas, restaurants, retail shopping, buying discounted GCs, streaming services, etc.

Do you currently payoff your CCs in full every month or do you carry any balances/pay any interest?
Yes, I pay off the balance every month for all of my cards.

What airport(s) do you typically fly out of? PVD

Do you have a preference of Frequent Flyer program? Southwest

Does SOUTHWEST Airline service your airport? Yes

Do you have a Hotel Rewards program preference? No

Do you currently have travel points or miles in any program?
Yes, southwest with 2,333 points.

What are your specific goals for churning credit cards?
Trying to minimize having to pay for flights and earning cash back just as another source of savings.

When do you plan to take these trips?
Probably for any trip starting 2022 since I have travel funds covering our flights for 2021.

Who does your travel party consist of?
My typical travel party consists of myself, my husband, and our 1 year old son.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter