I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The annual Bonbarf category changes are out, effective March 4, 2020.

Offhand the Swolphin is not on the list so no change there, for good or bad.

Reminder that points advance bookings don't lock in your rate anymore, just a room. If you want to lock in a lower rate now you have to have the points now. (And cross fingers they don't Bonvoy you with bad IT and charge you the higher rate later anyway. Screenshot, screenshot, screenshot, and keep an eye on your points balances)

https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change/marriott-bonvoy

They moved the Courtyard Ocean City Maryland up to a category 7. Yikes! I like it but wouldn't give them 40 or 50 or 60K to stay there. It was category 6. I'll spend cash in September or October and pay under $100 a night, if I can't get the Hyatt right next door which I prefer. Makes me afraid that my Hyatt will jump higher than 15K. Well, lets just say I know this will happen.

Reminder that points advance bookings don't lock in your rate anymore, just a room. If you want to lock in a lower rate now you have to have the points now. (And cross fingers they don't Bonvoy you with bad IT and charge you the higher rate later anyway. Screenshot, screenshot, screenshot, and keep an eye on your points balances)

Looks like all the Anaheim hotels near DL jumped up a category 🙄 I just canceled 1 award night at Courtyard Theme Park Entrance (40k) after I realized we can stay 3 nights at Hyatt House for 45k TOTAL!! We really like the Courtyard property, but that’s a ridiculous amount of points. Now it’s going to be a Cat. 7 😲

What immediately came to mind for me is to say to you that it is okay to be selfish sometimes and to think of yourself. You should not feel guilty setting aside a bit of time for just you, even on vacation. This can even send a message to your girls to be tolerant of other peoples needs as well as their own. We don't live in a perfect world, and it's best to be somewhat prepared for that in life.
I think this is very good advice. I always think of the safety speech on the airplane. Always put your own mask on before you help others. There is no shame in taking care of yourself at times. I think it is a great message to understand sometimes you let others needs go ahead of yours. Even parents' needs may go ahead of kids.

Looks like all the Anaheim hotels near DL jumped up a category 🙄 I just canceled 1 award night at Courtyard Theme Park Entrance (40k) after I realized we can stay 3 nights at Hyatt House for 45k TOTAL!! We really like the Courtyard property, but that’s a ridiculous amount of points. Now it’s going to be a Cat. 7 😲
I'm not familiar with the DL locations so I didn't even look, but for every one hotel I see dropping a category there's like seven being raised. (In my totally unscientific sample)

One jumped out when I was scanning, the Westin Maui that does the timeshare offers jumped to a 7 from a 6.

We use the nights in Pittsburgh a lot when visiting family there so a quick look there and of the hotels that are changing categories with "Pittsburgh" in the name (13) only one is dropping a category, the rest bump up one. Some are barely worth the category they were. One listed we have a cash booking at because the cpp didn't math out for us. And now it'd be 17,500 for a $100 room ($115 after tax). Uh yeah no thanks. For that rate I can stay IHG.

It's like they don't want people to actually use their points. You can only get away with it for so long before people realize what's the point of earning them if they're so terrible to use. :laughing:

Looks like the Fairfield Inn & Suites and the Residence Inn in Lake Buena Vista both went down a category.

Has anyone ever had problems with transferring Hilton points from spouse to spouse? I transferred points and it’s been 4 days and nothing yet.

I did it on a weekend and it showed up Tuesday morning. Have read that it's supposed to be 24 hours, though didn't see that on Hilton's website.

Are either of the accounts new? Saw this fine print:
"A new Hilton Honors Member can pool, transfer, or receive Points 30 days after enrollment providing they have activity on their account. After 90 days of enrollment, a new Member is eligible to pool, transfer, or receive Points regardless of their account activity."

That's just nuts! At least the Fairfeild inn is staying at Cat 5.

It's like they don't want people to actually use their points. You can only get away with it for so long before people realize what's the point of earning them if they're so terrible to use. :laughing:

Other than sign up bonuses, is anyone actually bothering to try to earn points with Marriott? I know I'm not. Only accidental points hit my stash - ie - points from an offer or a hotel that is under $100 and is the cheaper and more desirable of the options available.

After looking over the list I would say they have effectively killed the 50K certificate for me. I have to get more than $150 out of it to make it viable. I paid the fee on renewal and have used the $300, but still have my 'free night'. I will now have to book it prior to March 4th to make it work for this year. The 35k FNC are still okay because they can be used for many of the less expensive hotels that are Cat 5 and below.

And this is churning 101, earn and burn!

Update to a previous conversation about AmEx and how to spot L3 data (for reference:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...t-page-for-addl-details.3729982/post-60798905)

AmEx is rolling out the new version across most cards and @Lain's work around here isn't working for me today

When I access the old version and try to switch to a different card within that version it automatically opens the new one :(

One bit of good news is the Additional Information link on the new version is now showing all the same L3 data is used to before. Taking the same transaction I used in the previous examples and clicking on the "Additional Information" link on the right shows all the items on my receipt. When I did it various times last year it was just repeating the contact info or showing just the top line reference number. Seems like they have it fixed now.

View attachment 471157

Doesn't solve any of the other quirks about the new version that makes the previous one superior, but at least it's easy to spot L3 data again.
This is very nice! I had downloaded my transaction activity to Excel to monitor my Green's MSR and I also noticed it is in the last column on the spreadsheet labeled "additional information." It is much easier to have it on the web interface!

Other than sign up bonuses, is anyone actually bothering to try to earn points with Marriott? I know I'm not. Only accidental points hit my stash - ie - points from an offer or a hotel that is under $100 and is the cheaper and more desirable of the options available.

After looking over the list I would say they have effectively killed the 50K certificate for me. I have to get more than $150 out of it to make it viable. I paid the fee on renewal and have used the $300, but still have my 'free night'. I will now have to book it prior to March 4th to make it work for this year. The 35k FNC are still okay because they can be used for many of the less expensive hotels that are Cat 5 and below.

I was a Marriott loyalist but trending to Hilton, and I'm currently deciding which AmEx Marriott card to drop in the fall when their AFs hit. I was leaning to keeping the Brilliant and the 50k FNC, but as you point out it's hard to get proper value for that. We also stay at some lower Cat hotels pretty regularly for family visits and such, so the 35k cert should do it for us.

I'm not familiar with the DL locations so I didn't even look, but for every one hotel I see dropping a category there's like seven being raised. (In my totally unscientific sample)

Well, I was going to keep DH's BonBlah Biz but this is making me rethink my decision. I'm for sure going to close the SPG Biz, don't want to pay $125. ugh, what I thought was an easy decision has now become difficult.

Just repriced the Maui to San Jose leg of our return flights for our Spring Break trip on SW! The price of that leg dropped by $130.70 each!! Just goes to show how overpriced they were initially. It always makes me very nervous to cancel DS's companion ticket in order to reprice one of DH's tickets, especially for this leg of our Maui trip. I was holding my breath the whole time, but it all worked. Phew! We'll be able to use these travel funds for our late August weekend trip to Vegas to see Cal play UNLV at the new Raiders stadium (assuming it's actually finished -- crossing fingers on that one).

Last edited:
This is very nice! I had downloaded my transaction activity to Excel to monitor my Green's MSR and I also noticed it is in the last column on the spreadsheet labeled "additional information." It is much easier to have it on the web interface!
Yeah and that's where it should have been displayed before like the old version but I guess it was a programming error rather than a conscious decision since it's back. I totally agree much nicer back on the interface!

DH is still earning, but on his job's dime. I don't remember the last time I actually paid for a Marriott room out of pocket.

I did it on a weekend and it showed up Tuesday morning. Have read that it's supposed to be 24 hours, though didn't see that on Hilton's website.

Are either of the accounts new? Saw this fine print:
"A new Hilton Honors Member can pool, transfer, or receive Points 30 days after enrollment providing they have activity on their account. After 90 days of enrollment, a new Member is eligible to pool, transfer, or receive Points regardless of their account activity."

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter