I love credit cards so much! v3.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. My boss at my last job had been a senior manager for 20 years. She, of course, had tons of PTO and loved to travel. She not only encouraged us to take time off but was excited for us. My new boss has been in her position for less than a year and is a stressed-out workaholic. Every PTO request is a cluster..............So far I've gotten everything approved, but not without some drama and screw-ups. She has also called me during my vacation. She has even called me to come into work when I've called in sick. I just put in my PTO request for the end of August beginning of September, which is the slowest time of the year. If I have any issues it will be the last straw that pushes me to a human resources visit.

I've turned down a couple of jobs that I think I'd really like and pay more then what I currently make because I couldn't get a clear cut answer on vacation time.
Ugh! I worked for my family business my whole working career until a few months ago. Didn’t need to use PTO - we just got the time off we wanted during our slow season and it was understood. I am now working for a company and using PTO for the first time. It sure is different. So far, it’s ok, it’s the same job just under new ownership. So my time off is more structured and not as much as I had before but still flexible.

How can I tell when I received my last southwest card sign up bonus? My history only shows the last year. I think I’m able to sign up for the two southwest cards again for CP but wish u could be sure. The last southwest promo I did was end of 2017 when they offered CP to California residents through the end of 2018. I’m pretty sure I signed up in October 2017 and met the spend right away, which should mean I’m good to go. Just wish I could check first
Did you save any of your statements? It'll show the statement close date which should be date you earned the bonus.

If not you could check your credit report for the open date of that card to verify your recollection. You can also guesstimate the statement close date based on the reporting date since Chase is usually quick to update, like within a day of statement close. Just to double-check it was actually earned in 2017.

Anyone wanna chime in on my 2 questions? One Amex, one CIP/CIC/Chase :)

Question on upgrade/downgrades on Amex....

So I see my AF posted for the Aspire on 1/10. My bill isn't due till 2/5. I can call and cancel anytime before that, right?

Currently I have the Surpass (which I'm keeping as I'm grandfathered into the free night each year) and the biz (which I just got and finished the spend on). All 5 of my Amex slots are taken (Delta Gold Biz and Everyday). I had the pop ups before the biz but they finally cleared and I got the biz. I have no trips planned right now, so I don't feel keeping the Aspire makes sense. My idea is that I would cancel it. Keep Amex happy and spend on my other 4 cards. Eventually go for the free Hilton and get the SUB on that. Eventually you can upgrade that one, right? Is there any reason to believe (other than it's Amex and there's no rhyme or reason sometimes to their thought process), to think that they wouldn't let me upgrade to the Aspire when I need it? I plan on spending here and there on all of my Amex to keep them happy.

I don't want to downgrade to the free Hilton right now as I lose the SUB if I do that. And I don't have a slot to go for the free one right now. I need to free up some slots (the Hilton Biz I'll cancel next fall).
Here's another question....

Do I have to stay under 5/24 if I decide I want to PC to from the CIP to the CIC. Or is it normally recommended to apply for the CIC as well? (which means I would need to be under 5/24). I'm asking because my 0% cards are about to get hit with fees. I qualify for the BOA 0/0% card again. So I'd like to apply for that and transfer my balances at least once more time before I just pay them off fully. If I apply for that I bump my being under 5/24 back to May 2020. Which I can likely hold off on applying for the CIC until May, there's no rush on getting it. But it means holding off on other personal cards until after then too. I need to hit my $5k spend on the CIP (but Staples will help with that, LOL).

When you PC do you get any of the offers (like the 0% that the CIC offers for a year)? I'm thinking it might just make sense to apply for the CIC and get that offer if I can anyways.

I'm just trying to plan out the cards I'm looking to get next. I don't really see any personal Chase I have to have. I know people love the Hyatt, but I never stay at them. And I never fly SW as I feel like they don't have a ton of direct out of DTW. The cards I'm looking at would be a personal citi AA, barclay biz AA (though they hate me), hilton no fee.

My 5/24 date was 11/21/19, currently my next drop is 5/14/20, then 10/3/20 and 12/15/20. So the nice part is that I have a nice run of clearing coming up, LOL.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before since I’ve been skimming the thread.

For those of us with a CSR: Once you link your CSR card to your Lyft account there’s more to do besides the Pink membership for 15% off so you can increase your bang for your buck. If you link your Hilton Honors account and your Delta Sky Pesos account you can double dip and earn extra points and miles for your Lyft rides too.

Anyone wanna chime in on my 2 questions? One Amex, one CIP/CIC/Chase :)

Can’t help with the Amex
For Chase you do not have to be under 5/24 to PC, but I am not sure if you can do so before the card is open a year or if it’s recommended and you would not get the 0% offer if you PC.
If you need that I would keep the CIP, stay under 5/24 and apply for the CIC 2-3 months after the CIP

Silly Chase. DH got an email this morning that he was approved for the CIP and the card was on its way (the one he was approved for on Wednesday and received yesterday). He has already told me all the scuba trips he wants to put deposits down on for 2020 and 2021 so MSR will be met quickly. It only has a $6000 CL so I will have to pay it off mid-cycle I think. (is that frowned on?)

I haven't been as my kids are a bit older and have no interest, but I hear the Thinkery is a lot of fun (and looks it) and your kids sound like the perfect ages. Just putting it out there in case you need to add to your Austin itinerary.
Thanks! I've just started figuring out what we're going to do, so this is helpful. I had seen the Thinkery in my early research and it looks good. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. DH and DD6 want to eat barbecue while we're there. We'll also be visiting several family members and friends who moved there recently.

SWA experts..... I know you can't hold two booking on the same day/route for one person anymore (new system cancels one) what about a booking on same route, but a different day? (one way) @ski_mom post got me thinking about 'grown' children and schedule changes.... I have something booked for ds already, but was going to 'hold' another flight on a different day until I know for sure his schedule...think it will be left alone?

SWA experts..... I know you can't hold two booking on the same day/route for one person anymore (new system cancels one) what about a booking on same route, but a different day? (one way) @ski_mom post got me thinking about 'grown' children and schedule changes.... I have something booked for ds already, but was going to 'hold' another flight on a different day until I know for sure his schedule...think it will be left alone?
You are fine to do that. And it looks like the cancellation thing only works if you have your RR # attached. I had some bookings where I accidentally book the same day. I had used my RR # but didn’t use DH or DS and my flight was canceled but DH and DS’s wasn’t. So my guess is they are matching on RR# For dups.

I currently have two one way flights to Nashville on a Friday and Sat in February. No issues.

Been busy the last few weeks getting all my bank accounts closed. I closed 7 between DH and myself. Now I'm down to just 2 for myself and one for DH. I even gave up on Wells Fargo for DH without getting the bonus after he had to call to get accounts unlocked. So I told him I won't get him anymore. It feels good to see my emergency fund number all in one account :D

:offtopic:

Thinking about changing my user name, which means I have to get a new account. Any downsides? The reason is that I signed up with my real name because I never thought I would be this active.

You are fine to do that. And it looks like the cancellation thing only works if you have your RR # attached. I had some bookings where I accidentally book the same day. I had used my RR # but didn’t use DH or DS and my flight was canceled but DH and DS’s wasn’t. So my guess is they are matching on RR# For dups.
funny story.... So last month SWA did the 'free change' thingy...:-)upsidedow) and I got the bright idea to book for one of my bros for our upcoming family spring trip..... but unbeknownst to me,so did one of my other bros..(I have 4 bros) so essentially we BOTH booked our bro on the SAME flights on the SAME dates.:rotfl2:(we both had points to use) We only discovered this b/c my Bro got his 'bro booking' canceled..... they couldn't figure out why it was canceled,until they called me to ask if by any chance I had booked the same flights.... So we both booked,using our own rr#,and one was caught and auto canceled. So I'm thinking they caught it by name and birthdate(?)
At any rate.... thanks for the advice,I'm going to go ahead and book that alternate day (I miss our old homeschool days when I was in charge of all schedules:sad:)

Me! I booked 2 day 2 park base Universal tickets for the 3 of us, 1 night at Portofino, and a throw away rental car. I got just slightly better than 1 cpp redemption even with the throwaway car.

Here's how it worked for me. I made the booking and received email confirmation. It said that 35 days prior to travel I would revive a voucher for the universal tickets. Exactly 35 days before I received a call and they asked to clarify that I wanted only 3 park tickets even though I had 4 people listed on my hotel reservation. I confirmed that was correct. 2 days later I had an email with ticket vouchers. They were a pdf attachment with barcodes that I was able to add to the Universal app (they could also just be scanned at the gates, no will call needed).

They expired 1 year from the date I received the phone call. Names were assigned to each ticket so make sure to get those correct as it indicated they're non transferable (they never checked ID for us though).

You are correct that you don't need to check into hotel or pick up car. I was also never charged any taxes or fees for the rental car. I've read that some folks have been charged.

I'm not sure how many points you have or when you're going but I'll throw in there that staying at a deluxe universal hotel is the only way I'll do those parks now. You might want to price out a room at the cheapest deluxe to see if that could be an option. Free express pass on check in and check out day was amazing and worth every penny of that expensive hotel room. The best part was not having to pay cash.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
This is a great idea! I'm wondering though..... if I booked a 1 night room, and 1 ticket (that's all I need, could I book 5 people into the room? (for EP) and If I did that, would it have to be the same 5 that use the EP *only*? (I have a large group,could we switch out the room keys for use among us,or have to be only the same 5?) I had read that they take your photo at the ride,so no switching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter