I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome! I would say that it is totally worth it to do the research into SIM swapping then. You can even order your SIM in advance for a lot of different companies (through Amazon or ebay), and have it topped up and ready to go before you land. I looked back through my records, and I've actually had this 3 sim since 2011! As long as it sees some activity once every 6 months (like sending a text for 3p or making a call for 2p) it stays active, and since the U.S. is one of the roaming countries (http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_international/Roaming_Abroad/Destinations), that is easy peasy. If I run low while I'm not in the UK, I use mobiletopup.co.uk to add money (they do charge a £1.49 service fee per top-up, though).

For the contactless cards, we've found that Europe is lightyears ahead of the US for using those, thank goodness.

Formally added to my research list! I know from TA Vegas boards that people coming from outside the US do it fairly regularly as there were always threads about "where can I get a US SIM closest to the airport" or something similar. Love the idea of having it sorted ahead of time since we have a lot of travel that first week so extra errands will best be kept to a minimum.

I take it from your response that the PIN less contactless CCs will be an issue? I hope that's the case! Thank you again for your advice.

My Apple iMac is almost (or just over) 10 years old. I was going to upgrade it last year, but dh had a crazy amount of memory put on this one, so I kept it. I have thousands of pictures stored on it and I didn't want to move them off. Now that I pay $10.00 / month for the cloud I might consider upgrading lol.
Wow! That is great. I have almost 30,000 in my Photos library and iCloud makes it very easy to manage.

My 2009 MacBook Pro is still chugging along. It has had it's display, HD, SuperDriver, and battery (2x) replaced. I upgraded the ram myself once Lion came out. I haven't jumped on an SSD since I barely use it, but I know it would be super fast if I did! It just got too heavy for me to lug around.

Just wanted to give you all a quick update.

As some of you know, on Oct 30 I was diagnosed with a rare stage 2 liver cancer. Surgery was recommended as well as meeting with the transplant team about a possible transplant if surgery failed. I have had every test possible in the last few weeks.
However, when my case was present to the tumor board at the major hospital the pathologist didn’t agree with the findings of the biopsy. I’ve been waiting on pins and needles and finally heard back after they redid the pathology.
pathology came back as not cancer. I still have a benign tumor that I will need to have a procedure to stop blood flow to stop growth but no surgery and no transplant.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers during this tough time. I will be closely monitored and still need to have the procedure but my surgeon said to enjoy the holidays and we will worry about all that in a few weeks.

He also said go to Disney! Enjoy your trip!
Wonderful newsparty:
Have a great trip!

Two questions

1. Tsa pre or global entry is better to have if you were getting one to start?
2. Should we get both at some point?
2a. The kids (baby and 2) don’t need this as they can just come with us?

Kids 12 and under can go through TSA pre-check with you. Global Entry everyone needs their own, even babies. If you're going to be traveling internationally, might as well get Global Entry since it comes with TSA pre. But the con with GE is that it may be hard to get an appointment. If you have an international trip planned, you can do Enrollment on Arrival when you come back (if the airport offers it). We did that coming back from Scotland this past summer. Fairly painless, though took some time due to technical difficulties (computer and fingerprint machine). In contrast, TSA approval process seems really easy, they even have it at some Staples.

Clearly I don't belong anywhere near the kitchen. Trying to win brownie points with ds so making him a steak while DD is at Hamilton (second time this year) with her dad. Just bought a new digital meat thermometer. Who knew you couldn't leave that in the oven!

Last edited:
Wanted to share an update on DS since everyone was so kind to me this summer when he didn't get into the private school we thought he needed to go to. He did really well his first quarter of freshman year. We only ended up continuing with our french and math tutors (no study skills tutor). Grades were so much better than 7th or 8th grade, he played JV football, and seems to be settling in. I really think him not getting in was a blessing in disguise. And I'm really unsure about the diagnoses we were given (reading and math learning disabilities).

Of course my sweet DD is now going through a tough period and I'm worried sick about her (and getting her help) but I'm actually feeling like I might survive raising teenagers:)

Clearly I don't belong anywhere near the kitchen. Trying to win brownie points with ds so making him a steakn while DD is at Hamilton (second time this year) with her dad. Just bought a new digital meat thermometer. Who knew you couldn't leave that in the oven!

I'm only laughing because I did the same thing! I'm so used to using oven thermometers that are oven safe I just automatically popped the chicken back into the oven with the thermometer still stuck into it!

I'm only laughing because I did the same thing! I'm so used to using oven thermometers that are oven safe I just automatically popped the chicken back into the oven with the thermometer still stuck into it!
At least you did it unintentionally!

I also set off the smoke detector and burnt my thumb. Maybe I do want CSR to add a dining credit after all.

Okay sounds like GE is more worth it. I assume even with long waits we’d get approved by next August? (Lol- the website just told me there are 0 GE centers in my state)

@wendow thats amazing!
@havaneselover I hope your daughter is doing okay! College is way better than HS- she’ll be there soon!

My DH's conditional approval took about 3 months. That's the online application part. The rest of us was a lot faster. After that, you can then schedule an interview. Do you have any trips planned that'll take you near a GE center?

I missed one from capital one today. I was talking to my mom or I would have answered. I tried calling back and they wanted me to put in my 16-digit card number. I don’t have a card with them. Call should only come from citi, right?
Card came today (yes, my mail comes late!) so one of my neighbors must have gotten my ‘fooled ya’ paperwork and knew it wasn’t important enough to bother walking over to me 😂
I don't think you need to call anymore to check on it then...... 😂 🤣 😂

Wanted to share an update on DS since everyone was so kind to me this summer when he didn't get into the private school we thought he needed to go to. He did really well his first quarter of freshman year. We only ended up continuing with our french and math tutors (no study skills tutor). Grades were so much better than 7th or 8th grade, he played JV football, and seems to be settling in. I really think him not getting in was a blessing in disguise. And I'm really unsure about the diagnoses we were given (reading and math learning disabilities).

Of course my sweet DD is now going through a tough period and I'm worried sick about her (and getting her help) but I'm actually feeling like I might survive raising teenagers:)
That is a GREAT update on your son! Junior High is BRUTAL for many kids and a change of "venue" can often make a big difference in their attitude.

Hugs to you and keep soldiering on with DD. Teenage years can be quite the challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter