I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't think that seemed right, but rarely have we booked prepaid rooms, so I didn't want to voice much of an opinion. When we have booked prepaid, Hilton charged our card directly from the initial reservation. Glad you knew not to fall for it.

Can you believe they are still trying to get me to pay? I told them I spoke with Hilton in the US and won't be paying until I have confirmation that this is something I need to do. Here is their response:

"Sorry about the missunderstand, this payment proccedure is applied just for this Hotel as a Franchise we

had to adapt our country payments policies, I am add the Front Office Manager in copy to him be able to be

in contact if you , his name is Adrián Estevez.We wouldn`t like cause any incovenience for you and

I am Sure that Mr. estevez will have a solution about this situation.

Have a loved Weekend,

Itana Urpía Front Desk Agent"

:offtopic:
So my trip without the kids to WDW in 2 weeks changed again. Now after the race we are going to drive to Vero Beach and use some of our DVC points for one night in a studio there. We have AP’s so no big desire to see stuff in the parks and the reports of the spring break crowds is a little scary.

Any suggestions for Vero Beach? Either the DVC resort or town itself?

Has anyone read today’s WSJ article on TPG....interesting.....but most here probably know all or most of what was written

The Credit-Card Kingmaker

A recent party in Manhattan had the trappings of a hot ticket, including a red carpet, a drag queen and a former “Real Housewives” star. But the 500-plus guests were celebrating something that doesn’t usually evoke glamour—credit cards.

The master of ceremonies: Brian Kelly, who not so long ago was a human resources employee and is now one of the most powerful people in credit cards. Mr. Kelly, who for a portion of the evening donned a jacket fringed with 100 fake plastic cards, is founder and CEO of The Points Guy, a website that reviews rewards cards.

Mr. Kelly, 36 years old, has the attention—and money—of some of the largest U.S. banks, including JPMorgan Chase & Co., Bank of America Corp. and Capital One Financial Corp. Reviews on The Points Guy, known as TPG, can make or break a card. Banks pay to advertise there and some seek his input before launching new products. The banks also pay TPG when its readers get their credit cards.

That has created a symbiotic relationship between Mr. Kelly and the banks. TPG’s financial success depends largely on the banks continuing to pay. The banks pay up because they are attracted to TPG’s large readership. More than 10 million people visited the site in January, and nearly half were first-time visitors, according to Mr. Kelly.

Complicating the relationship is the fact that rewards cards themselves haven’t been the moneymaker the banking industry was hoping for—and that is in part because of Mr. Kelly. TPG helped spawn a broader ecosystem of customers who swap tips online about how to game the system, wringing rewards out of cards before abandoning them, and some banks are discussing how to cut back on rewards to trim costs.

Still, banks keep competing for rewards customers. Banks spent an estimated $4.5 million in banner, display and video advertisements on TPG in the fourth quarter of 2018, double from a year prior and more than triple from two years prior, according to Mintel Comperemedia’s analysis of data from digital-marketing intelligence firm Pathmatics. Roughly three-quarters of that came from TPG ranked as one of the top five websites where banks spent most of their ad money for credit cards last year, alongside Facebook, YouTube and others, based on Pathmatics’ figures, said Pathmatics chief marketing officer William Merchan.

Mr. Kelly started TPG as a hobby in 2010, while working in HR at Morgan Stanley . He had credit-card debt and little savings, but had amassed hundreds of thousands of points on his corporate credit card that he was able to use for personal travel. Initially, he charged people $50 to help them book flights using their points.

In 2011, banks started paying TPG when readers visiting the website applied for and received cards.

Mr. Kelly sold TPG in 2012 for an undisclosed amount. It is now owned by Red Ventures and has about 60 full-time employees.

Mr. Kelly says none of the reviews TPG publishes are paid for by banks, airlines or hotels. He also says those companies don’t pay for his or his staff’s travel. When TPG buys ads on Facebook and Google—at times spending as much as $1 million a month—they are billed to Mr. Kelly’s business credit cards, and he says he uses the points he accrues to pay for his and employees’ travel.

Mr. Kelly is often on the phone and in meetings with employees from JPMorgan, AmEx, Capital One and Wells Fargo & Co., among others. Some banks consider his advice when they are preparing new cards or changes to existing rewards programs. For example, Mr. Kelly recommended for years that Capital One allow for airline transfer partners, where cardholders can use their points at a number of airlines. In November, after considering additional input from customers and others, Capital One announced the addition of such partners on some cards.

One of TPG’s biggest bank clients is JPMorgan. A turning point for the website came when it helped the bank launch its Sapphire Reserve card in 2016. Mr. Kelly recommended a live online Q&A session with a senior bank executive and other coverage. TPG earned millions of dollars from the card in the months after it was introduced, as droves of the website’s readers signed up for it.

Mr. Kelly’s Instagram account highlights a lifestyle of high-price travel that rewards cards can pay for, boasting photos of him in a hammock in Bora Bora and views of Cape Town from a luxury hotel.

His Manhattan awards party—which showered accolades on categories such as No-Fee Card of the Year and Best Hotel Loyalty Program—attracted guests such as figure skater Adam Rippon, Nobel Peace laureate Leymah Gbowee and pop star Bebe Rexha. For more than an hour, bank executives and their counterparts from hotel chains and airlines took to the stage to accept awards.

The price tag for the black-tie affair was about $1.5 million, according to a person familiar with the matter. TPG paid about $250,000, the person said.

The banks and hotels paid the rest.

TPG gets a lot of hate, most of it well-deserved. TPG is so synonymous with Brian Kelly that we conflate a multi-million dollar business employing dozens of staff and contributors to one guy. It's almost blasphemy, but I'll concede that occasionally TPG will put out a good guide to how benefits work or how to make an awesome redemption possible, and even use its social media influence to do some good. What I hate is when TPG tries to have it both ways: (1) shill for the banks, and (2) guide to a growing legion of travel hackers. The site is clearly conflicted and doesn't know how to stay in its lane.

Two lines stuck out to me:

"The banks also pay TPG when its readers get their credit cards. That has created a symbiotic relationship between Mr. Kelly and the banks. TPG’s financial success depends largely on the banks continuing to pay." So between TPG's own pecuniary interest and the best interest of the readers in getting the best signup offer, TPG will always sell you the worse deal because they are in the banks' pocket.

"TPG helped spawn a broader ecosystem of customers who swap tips online about how to game the system, wringing rewards out of cards before abandoning them, and some banks are discussing how to cut back on rewards to trim costs." You can't be taking money from the banks and at the same time publishing articles about "off-brand" benefits and how to exploit loopholes!

I'll add that I also hate when their writers rip off other blogs or message boards to expose some previously obscure tip, method or hack to spoon-feed to their masses.

I will say that despite this, I know TPG has been a big advocate for credit card rewards, and to the extent the banks are listening to him this is probably good for our community. For example, much has been made about Chase consulting with TPG on the launch of their CSR (this article mentions it again), and most will agree that the 100k UR introductory signup bonus, the 3x UR earning structure on travel and dining, the very easy to use $300 travel credit, and the 50% redemption bonus on travel booked through Chase were game changers that really supercharged the rewards war among the major credit card issuers.

Missing from the above copy of the article are charts that show ad spending by the major credit card issuers on TPG have been on the increase:

VWbcf2S.jpg
g0EcISx.jpg

We've discussed before that credit card rewards are in a constant tug and pull between competing forces within a bank, their marketing department and their accountants, with one side interested in acquiring new customers and the other constantly looking at the bottom line and trimming costs where possible. While I've argued that there's been a trend towards reduction of and greater restrictions on credit card rewards and benefits, I'm glad to see the banks are still investing heavily in attracting new customers (even if it is lining TPG's wallet), and I hope that means generous signup bonuses and promotions will continue.

One last thing about the TPG Awards that were held (and mocked) recently: "The price tag for the black-tie affair was about $1.5 million, according to a person familiar with the matter. TPG paid about $250,000, the person said. The banks and hotels paid the rest." Insanity! The banks, airlines, and hotels shelled out hundreds of thousands of dollars to have TPG give awards to themselves and sometimes their competitors!

Last edited:
Currently booking a flower and garden trip for Memorial Day weekend. This will be our last opportunity to use our annual passes. Fast pass window opens tomorrow. Securing our flights using points and gift cards. Pass holder rate at the Grand Floridian wasn’t too bad but holiday weekends are super expensive.
We are going then and I made all of the FP for myself, my kids, and my parents during the 74 day glitch. Then yesterday I realized it was my "official" Fastpass day so I went in to add my aunt and her friend to all my FPs and I did it at 5pm or so in the evening. I was able to add them to every single one....slinky dog, FOP, Mine train included. No issues whatsoever. So I think you'll have good luck!

You identify 2 key forces at work here:
There are of course other things we could discuss in this same vein. Things like buying gift cards to trigger the AMEX credits, reducing CLs to avoid AFs and even bank account funding. I welcome anybody to consult the thread if you're concerned something you're doing is beyond the norm or "not ok". The odds are though, that we'll side with the customer because if there isn't something specific preventing it, then you're probably fine.

Is that reducing credit lines to avoid annual fees? If so, how do you do that?

Anyone use points from Capital One Venture card and if so, best way to utilize towards Disney vacation?

Welcome to the thread!

You can use the charges to “erase” any room reservations. It is nice because you can get the best possible deal and then put it on the Venture and have it credited back. The Barclaycard Arrival Plus works in the same way.

I was able to even use the Venture to erase charges on a rental home at Windsor Hills.

We are going then and I made all of the FP for myself, my kids, and my parents during the 74 day glitch. Then yesterday I realized it was my "official" Fastpass day so I went in to add my aunt and her friend to all my FPs and I did it at 5pm or so in the evening. I was able to add them to every single one....slinky dog, FOP, Mine train included. No issues whatsoever. So I think you'll have good luck!
I just booked our trip for Memorial Day weekend. Three nights at Grand Floridian using passholder rate of $422 a night. Flights PHL to MCO using gift cards from Amex and Citi travel credits flying out on Thursday May 23. We arrive late so one night at Hyatt Place MCO using 8,000 points transferred from chase. No ticket costs since we are pass holders. Flying out Monday May 27th using JetBlue travel credits and points. We’ve done food and wine already and so excited to do Flower and Garden.

Is that reducing credit lines to avoid annual fees? If so, how do you do that?
This one is definitely more on the fringe and only applies to the super high AF cards in the first year. I'd suggest you read up on this one on your own and determine how to proceed. It's not a loophole that we as a group will advocate for or consult on. On the other hand, I also have never seen any negative consequences to those doing so.

I’ve got the rewards calculator from Chase on my Freedom card but it appears to calculate by the statement. I’ve spent over $300 on the card in gas/drugstores but it’s locked on the amount that was spent by the last statement. Anyone else seeing that it’s not updating in real time?

Can you believe they are still trying to get me to pay? I told them I spoke with Hilton in the US and won't be paying until I have confirmation that this is something I need to do. Here is their response:

"Sorry about the missunderstand, this payment proccedure is applied just for this Hotel as a Franchise we

had to adapt our country payments policies, I am add the Front Office Manager in copy to him be able to be

in contact if you , his name is Adrián Estevez.We wouldn`t like cause any incovenience for you and

I am Sure that Mr. estevez will have a solution about this situation.

Have a loved Weekend,

Itana Urpía Front Desk Agent"
Wow just wow!!! That is just nuts, if it didn’t scream scam before, it sure does now.

After 45 minutes on the phone with Hilton (and forwarding the CS agent the e-mail), they are saying it looks like a scam. They have sent an e-mail to the GM at the property just to make sure that the booking is intact and I don't need to send them a payment directly.

Scary as they had all my info -- dates, reservation number, name and e-mail address. What they didn't have was the fact that I booked 2 rooms and they were only trying to collect payment for 1 -- that was a red flag for me. That and why would I need to pay the hotel directly when I already input my cc info into the Hilton website. I have to call them back on Thursday to see what the GM of the property said (he has 3 business days to respond).

Wow. I had a feeling it was a scam, but was hoping it was just a misunderstanding. Good for you for following up with Hilton. I don't remember which hotel this is - can you refresh my memory please?

My Amex offer tracked (the $25 off $45 for new memberships one) but Dosh did not & they have been ignoring my email for almost a week :rolleyes:

I signed up solely to be able to buy Disneyland tickets. I can't even make use of the membership for anything else so I'll be super annoyed if it never goes through.
We don’t have that offer on our Amex card. We only have the spend $50, get $10 back offer. We most likely won’t be using the membership again. There just isn’t really anything we need in bulk

TPG gets a lot of hate, most of it well-deserved. TPG is so synonymous with Brian Kelly that we conflate a multi-million dollar business employing dozens of staff and contributors to one guy. It's almost blasphemy, but I'll concede that occasionally TPG will put out a good guide to how benefits work or how to make an awesome redemption possible, and even use its social media influence to do some good. What I hate is when TPG tries to have it both ways: (1) shill for the banks, and (2) guide to a growing legion of travel hackers. The site is clearly conflicted and doesn't know how to stay in its lane.

Two lines stuck out to me:

"The banks also pay TPG when its readers get their credit cards. That has created a symbiotic relationship between Mr. Kelly and the banks. TPG’s financial success depends largely on the banks continuing to pay." So between TPG's own pecuniary interest and the best interest of the readers in getting the best signup offer, TPG will always sell you the worse deal because they are in the banks' pocket.

"TPG helped spawn a broader ecosystem of customers who swap tips online about how to game the system, wringing rewards out of cards before abandoning them, and some banks are discussing how to cut back on rewards to trim costs." You can't be taking money from the banks and at the same time publishing articles about "off-brand" benefits and how to exploit loopholes!

I'll add that I also hate when their writers rip off other blogs or message boards to expose some previously obscure tip, method or hack to spoon-feed to their masses.

I will say that despite this, I know TPG has been a big advocate for credit card rewards, and to the extent the banks are listening to him this is probably good for our community. For example, much has been made about Chase consulting with TPG on the launch of their CSR (this article mentions it again), and most will agree that the 100k UR introductory signup bonus, the 3x UR earning structure on travel and dining, the very easy to use $300 travel credit, and the 50% redemption bonus on travel booked through Chase were game changers that really supercharged the rewards war among the major credit card issuers.

Missing from the above copy of the article are charts that show ad spending by the major credit card issuers on TPG have been on the increase:

VWbcf2S.jpg
g0EcISx.jpg

We've discussed before that credit card rewards are in a constant tug and pull between competing forces within a bank, their marketing department and their accountants, with one side interested in acquiring new customers and the other constantly looking at the bottom line and trimming costs where possible. While I've argued that there's been a trend towards reduction of and greater restrictions on credit card rewards and benefits, I'm glad to see the banks are still investing heavily in attracting new customers (even if it is lining TPG's wallet), and I hope that means generous signup bonuses and promotions will continue.

One last thing about the TPG Awards that were held (and mocked) recently: "The price tag for the black-tie affair was about $1.5 million, according to a person familiar with the matter. TPG paid about $250,000, the person said. The banks and hotels paid the rest." Insanity! The banks, airlines, and hotels shelled out hundreds of thousands of dollars to have TPG give awards to themselves and sometimes their competitors!

I’m sorry. Does that say Amex spent almost TWO MILLION advertising on TPG last quarter???

I have been able to get good redemptions...to me anyway, booking with my CSR. We book 2 br villas when visiting our son in Orlando,so he can stay with us and I book refundable rates since both of our Moms are 91

So far used approximately 85,000 URs 12/19-12/24 for a 2 br at Wyndham Bonnet Creek..I think with cash it would of cost about $1,300

3/9-3/14 for a 2br at Marriott Royal Palms ...103,110 URs ....cash would cost $1,545

Currently have booked
5/25-6/2 2br Wyndham Bonnet Creek 133,200 URs ...cash would cost $1,998

9/18-9/22. 2 br Marriott Lakeshore Reserve 82,488 URs....Cash would cost.$1,237.32
Debating keeping this booked with URs or using 180,000Marriott points

We could never pay cash for these stays...so I am always trying to accumulate more URS

I’ll be interested to hear how you like Lakeshore. It has been my favorite place so far in Orlando. We don’t do long park days so a nice pool is pretty high on our list of requirements. We just finished a week in a 2BR at Marriott Grande Vista and are using our 35,000 point Marriott certificate at Harbor Lake. Although it seems nice for little kids, I’m pretty sure we won’t be returning to Harbor Lake.

Ugh I was hoping the dreaded pop up would go away more after the fiasco of withholding SUBs. How many AMEX cards do you have? Are you using them all?

I have Delta Plat Biz and SPG Biz (or whatever it is now). I use them occasionally I did have a Delta Plat Pers 06/2017 that I closed 08/2018. Maybe be that and the light usage is what triggered the pop up.

I’ll be interested to hear how you like Lakeshore. It has been my favorite place so far in Orlando. We don’t do long park days so a nice pool is pretty high on our list of requirements. We just finished a week in a 2BR at Marriott Grande Vista and are using our 35,000 point Marriott certificate at Harbor Lake. Although it seems nice for little kids, I’m pretty sure we won’t be returning to Harbor Lake.

Looking forward to Lakeshore...friends who own a crazy amount of Marriott timeshare points..they are Chairman’s level which they said is the highest...but means nothing to me...lol...said it’s their favorite Orlando Marriott timeshare

How did you like Grand Vista..we had it booked for our last visit to see our son...but Royal Palms opened up so booked that since it was closer to Disney

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter