I love credit cards so much! v2.0 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In case you weren't aware... @Lain is keeping a detailed thread on DISchurners with all the 2 CIP information and DPs:
https://www.reddit.com/r/DISchurners/comments/ajidtj/two_cips_with_ssn_no_ein/

First off - huge thanks to @Lain for doing this. We are all blessed to have you on this thread and the work you do to keep everybody well informed is amazing!

Secondly - this thread is just one of many examples of what we wanted DISchurners to become - a resource! We all know how quickly things get buried when we are generating 200+ comments a day here. There are some amazing resources on DISchurners thanks to Lain and others who have been willing to take a few minutes and copy and paste information over there :)

I don't mind meeting the spend quick when there's reason to. BUT Specifically when I'm pre-paying 10 months of a cable bill or 6 months of a utility I've learned to just wait. I remember a year or so ago, I was working on an MSR and knew I would be partially meeting it by prepaying some utilities to the tune of $1,000+. I still had 6 weeks left to meet the MSR but I went ahead and made those prepayments early. I can't remember exactly what happened then (maybe it was an auto repair or something we needed at the house) but I had a $500 unexpected expense come up and I had no MSR to put it towards. I couldn't get a new card quick enough and in my mind I "wasted" that money. THUS, my policy now is when you are pre-paying something to hit the MSR, wait until it's necessary. You never know what might come up - but again, part of me is tempted and just wants to pay and be done, LOL! (I just know that there's no sense in that really).

Thanks to the talk about prepaying bills - I decided to check on my electric company as it has been a long time since I checked to see if they take credit cards. To my surprise, they now offer an option to pay through western union for a $2.25 fee - max $600. That seems pretty reasonable to me, so I'll give it a go and see if the prepayment causes any problems.

On the AMEX front do you think we’ll
see a decrease in pop ups now?

I'm hoping we'll see the end of the no-pop-up bonus denial.

There's an argument to be made about detrimental reliance, if not outright fraud. Amex makes an offer for you to open A card and spend $X to earn Y points, and creates this system to warn customers they aren't eligible for this offer, so if you don't get the pop up you reasonably believe you qualify for the offer and you act (spend money) in reliance of that offer. Then when you fulfill your end of the bargain to spend $X, but Amex doesn't give you Y points because their terms say they can deny you for any reason at all, that seems like an illusory promise and just isn't enforceable.

If it's the case that Amex can or will no longer deny bonuses after the fact, it's possible Amex may rely on the pop up even more as a gatekeeper to guard against gamers. At least we'll know where we stand before opening a card, losing out on a once in a lifetime SUB, and wasting spend.

GrAAvy train folks, this is where I'm at:

2/15/19 Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Biz
2/24/19 Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Pers

2/27/19 Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Biz
3/06/19 Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red World Pers

Can I apply for my second Citi Personal with a mailer?

Via Doctor of Credit: Tip: Reduce Credit Limits On Bank of America Cards Before Cancelling
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/tip-reduce-credit-limits-on-bank-of-america-cards-before-cancelling/

I don't pay a lot of attention to BoA because I blacklisted them from my churning endeavors but apparently if you are applying and cancelling cards somewhat regularly with them you'll want to pay attention to this "glitch"...

Before you close any Bank of America credit card it’s recommended to lower the credit limit at least a few days before you cancel. This is because Bank of America has an internal maximum credit limit for each individual, when a card is cancelled the limit on that card doesn’t become available again until the card has been roughly closed for a year. By reducing the credit limit before cancelling you’re able to free up this available credit for future credit card applications.
DoC says he assumed most seasoned churners knew this but I can tell you I've never heard of it even when I was churning BoA cards back in the day...

Is the del Coronado a good place to stay?

I love the Del and likely if I ever got into the HH game, that might be where I used my points. However, they're just embarking upon a $200M, 3 year renovation which might be disruptive. I know some people don't mind construction/renovations during their stay, others do. So it's something to consider.
San Diego is a beautiful place!

Hi! I got the CIP a month or so ago and am thinking about getting the CSR or CSP next. The CIP is in my name. Are there any strategies I could use when getting the CSR/CSP? For example, could I refer my DH and get the CSR/CSP in his name instead of mine and get bonus URs for the referral? It doesn’t matter to us who is the primary cardholder, and the other of us will be an AU. Thanks!!

Not much to report but I have actually received a response to my SM to get the AAviator Biz matched to 60k. Pretty generic reply just confirming they have forwarded my request for review. Just have to wait to see what happens.

Tagging @wendow @pillow - can't remember who else was trying to get a response.

I think you're in good shape - I'll copy and paste a few paraphrased highlights from the grAAvy train thread on DISchurners for those that might be interested:
  • Most (all?) of Citi’s public applications contain this 24 month restriction, essentially limiting people to one card every 24 months. However, Citi sends out mailers for the personal and business versions of the AA Platinum card that do not have such a restriction.
  • 12 digit code mailers can only be used by the recipient. 9 digit code mailers can be used by someone other than the recipient.
  • Each mailer has an expiration date but they often live for 2+ months after the listed expiration date.
  • For personal cards, Citi limits to 1 in 8 days and 2 in 60. This is referred to as 1/8 and 2/60. People often use 65 instead of 60 to be safe, as Citi’s systems sometimes miscalculate (one theory is that they count all months as 31 days).
  • For personal cards some people are limited to 1/60. It’s possible to recon past this though it depends on the rep you get. Some people who are impacted by 1/60 on one application later find themselves no longer impacted by it. You can’t do anything to control this so just hope it doesn’t happen.
  • Business cards are limited to 1 every 90 days. This is referred to as 1/90. As with personal ones, people often add 5 days to be safe so it’s also referred to as 1/95.
Not included in that post but I believe common advice says: Try not to use a mailer addressed to you (instead use a spouse's mailer or something like that). Using your own might stop your future pipeline of mailers...

Interesting DP here. I just applied and was instantly denied. I called Citi Recon. He said processing was stopped because of more than one card approved in the past 60 days. I was using an emailed 9 digit code that was sent to DW. Not sure if that had something to do with it. Anyways, when I called and actually got a great CSR. He was able to override the denial and approved it for a 18k CL lol. Should be here in 5-7 days. Keep those AA points coming!

I'm a wreck. Just discovered a disgusting growth on my 12-year old pup's ear. Can't get her into the vet until tomorrow:( I need this dog around for a few more years!
I wouldn't panic too much before you can get in. I have a dog that has growths show up from time to time. They just go away on their own. She is 14 and has been getting them for years.

And finally, after 1 1/2 hours on hold today (4 hours total) and being hung up on 3 times this morning, SUCCESS!
View attachment 387654
I heeded your warning about the phones....I sent a FB message instead. We will see what happens with it. Just as I expected, my points advance ressie shows a balance of the new category needed due, instead of the old. Shocking, I know.

So I've been following all of this talk about applying for multiple CIPs, and I'm seriously tempted to try to get another CIP for DH. He is currently at 3/24, and his current CIP hits its one-year anniversary on March 21. In an ideal world, I would wait until his CIP hits its anniversary, cancel and then have him re-apply after a little bit of "cooling off" time. Also, his last Chase card was the SW biz approved on 12/26, so I'd ideally wait until the end of March to give his Chase apps the recommended 3-month minimum spacing. My dilemma is this: The PIF date for our summer Africa trip is coming up, and it's the most expensive trip we've ever taken. I have a very generous credit line on my CSR, but it won't be enough to cover the full balance payment. I definitely want to earn 3x for every dollar of the balance payment on that trip. Right now in terms of paying off Africa, my gameplan is to hit DH's credit limit on his CIP first (since we aren't really using his CIP at all since now that I have my own CIP), then hit a good portion of the credit limit on my CIP (leaving room for eBay shipping fees since that seems like the only 3x category left on the CIP that we actually use), and put the balance on the CSR so we aren't hitting the full CSR CL and still have some flexibility to put dining and other misc. travel expenses on the CSR. What's niggling at me is the possibility of having DH apply for another CIP now (before cancelling his existing one and waiting a little bit) and being able to knock off the MSR in one payment by using that new CIP for the payment of part of our Africa balance. He currently has 3 Chase biz cards (CIP, CIC and SW Biz), so this would make a fourth for him under this SSN. I also don't want to risk a shutdown for him because his CIC is our only one currently, and it is our second biggest UR earning cow behind the CSR right now. So what does everyone think? Go for it? Is it it too risky that not only will he be denied, he'll also be shut down? Should I just go the conservative plan and wait until after I've used his CIP for part of our Africa payment, close it after its anniversary and then have him apply for another? At that point, I'm definitely less excited because I will need to come up with another way to meet that $5k MSR.

Not much to report but I have actually received a response to my SM to get the AAviator Biz matched to 60k. Pretty generic reply just confirming they have forwarded my request for review. Just have to wait to see what happens.

Tagging @wendow @pillow - can't remember who else was trying to get a response.

Fingers crossed! My message disappeared for two days and then came back, and now says the same as yours...sent for review...Hmm, wonder how promising that is??

Hi! I got the CIP a month or so ago and am thinking about getting the CSR or CSP next. The CIP is in my name. Are there any strategies I could use when getting the CSR/CSP? For example, could I refer my DH and get the CSR/CSP in his name instead of mine and get bonus URs for the referral? It doesn’t matter to us who is the primary cardholder, and the other of us will be an AU. Thanks!!

If you are meaning can you refer from the CIP, than no. Are you still deciding which card to get? CSR vs CSP? Or are you considering getting both with the modified double dip? Either way, you will want to get the cards in one name only, do not add spouse as an AU. If you get the CSP, then you can refer the spouse for their own CSP and get 10,000 referral points that way. The CSR currently does not have referrals. Or you can refer your spouse for the CIP. That is the most lucrative UR points wise. 80,000 for bonus plus 20,000 for referral.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter