I know this will ispure imotions...

I love staying at the VGF, but the building is a little too boxy and tall looking as compared to the hotel. Would that stop me from buying there, no, but I still think it could have been made to fit in better.

I think the VGF is boxy so all the villas (at each size) can have the same floor plan. The main hotel has various shaped rooms, some with the round parapets, some with a balcony, some with no balcony, of various sq footages. For a timeshare, I think it works better to have everybody in the same configuration, even if you give up some of the Victorian idiosyncrasies.
Can you imagine if everybody started calling Member Services, insisting on a parapet room, or insisting on balcony or no balcony. We DVCers are planners and micromanagers and I think the resort was smart not to implement widely divergent room types.

Do you think the GFV "box" is exemplary of the best design?
You think the mess of the bungalows at the Poly are nice? The monstrosity not at the Contemporary??

I think DVD has let us down. Yes, US.
Although I'm no longer DVC, I still need to look at this mess as part of my Disney experience.
Everything is being sacrificed to save a buck.

MG

Us, like in DVC members?

it's just I feel Members are getting a bit cheated.

MG

Some valid points, although bungalows and cabins don't come off as cheap in my mind.

That said, staying at the Grand Floridian and Polynesian on points (even Contemporary Resort to walk to MK) was never in my wildest dreams.

Esp from about $100 a night in dues, and the newest rooms at each resort?

Huge improvement to DVC IMO, almost lottery wins.

The new DVC pool and dining at VWL looks like an amazing improvement.

Cheated? No way.

Last edited:

Some valid points, although bungalows and cabins don't come off as cheap in my mind.

That said, staying at the Grand Floridian and Polynesian on points (even Contemporary Resort to walk to MK) was never in my wildest dreams.

Cheated? No way.
Will respond later. Wife will shoot me if I do it now.

MG

Cheated? No way.
My only point is that I wish the VGF and Poly were built with a little better curb appeal. The bungalows had a lot of potential to look nice, but instead it just looks like they crammed 1000 together without regard for visual appearance. Even from the boat it looks terrible IMO.
The GF not quite as bad, but the villas are a giant box. No points & lines like the hotel side. Standing back and looking, it doesn't really match.

So, I say "cheated" because I know Disney could have done better. Instead they opted for a cheap way out.

MG

My only point is that I wish the VGF and Poly were built with a little better curb appeal. The bungalows had a lot of potential to look nice, but instead it just looks like they crammed 1000 together without regard for visual appearance. Even from the boat it looks terrible IMO.
The GF not quite as bad, but the villas are a giant box. No points & lines like the hotel side. Standing back and looking, it doesn't really match.

So, I say "cheated" because I know Disney could have done better. Instead they opted for a cheap way out.

MG

Ah gotcha. Fiji does the same thing with huts by the way, will see what folks think of WL Cabins I guess.

Its a lotto win IMO. Back to planning more Deluxe Resort DVC stays, just so many now.

The alligator finish coffee table at OKW that was refinished in 2010 was the start of it all.

Ah gotcha. Fiji does the same thing with huts by the way, will see what folks think of WL Cabins I guess.

Its a lotto win IMO. Back to planning more Deluxe Resort DVC stays, just so many now.
We were planning a trip to either Bora Bora or Fiji a few years back. We saw overwater bungalows, but at least as far as the pics were convened, they were nothing like the Poly. Not only the "spacing", but the water was actually clean...???

My point there is how does anyone find that lagoon water to be appealing??

MG

Then it's good you sold out. In my view, that's the same as saying each of those resorts is inherently ugly. I think VGF fits perfectly with the resort and that BLT is nicer looking visually than the A frame of CR.
Yes. You're view is correct. They are inherently ugly.
I believe you are a pediatrician??? Do you ever recommend your patients to an optometrist??

MG

We were planning a trip to either Bora Bora or Fiji a few years back. We saw overwater bungalows, but at least as far as the pics were convened, they were nothing like the Poly. Not only the "spacing", but the water was actually clean...???

My point there is how does anyone find that lagoon water to be appealing??

MG

Oh totally, that's why each one has a private plunge pool on the deck to try and make up for it. But that doesn't equate to the "cheap out" conversation IMO. They are usually arranged very similar though. And again-it's another option plopped in my lap-not complaining at all.

I probably would have in my DVC days..

MG
Yes.....in your DVC days.....I am not sure what the point of all this is.....a survey?.... to get people to agree with you?....or not?.....personally I think the job Disney has done on these resorts is great.....since you chose to sell...I am not sure why you are concerned on what DVD does with the resorts?.....is it because you were thinking of buying back in and don't like the direction so your disappointed?

Here's our take.....

1. Bungalows meh overpriced.

2. VGF - love the villas and would stay there more often if we had more points. We're else can you get a few like this?

3. BLT - we love the resort and emotional attachment to the CR. For those who are into the design of BLT and how it complements the CR building, this is a must read. It made me appreciate the design even more.
http://www.critiquethis.us/2010/11/...-of-walt-disney-a-critique-of-bay-lake-tower/

DVC has something for everyone.

Yes.....in your DVC days.....I am not sure what the point of all this is.....a survey?.... to get people to agree with you?....or not?.....personally I think the job Disney has done on these resorts is great.....since you chose to sell...I am not sure why you are concerned on what DVD does with the resorts?.....is it because you were thinking of buying back in and don't like the direction so your disappointed?
The point?? It's a message board. A place for thoughts, opinions, ideas...?

Why am I concerned about what DVD does?? The DVC resorts are not some sort of exclusive club and kept behind gates. In fact everyone visiting WDW has the opportunity to stay at those resorts, enjoy the theming, have nice dinners at possible new resort restaurants, etc..
As a frequent visitor why wouldn't I want to see new beautiful resorts that give us these options?

Would I buy back? Possibly. We have discussed buying a small number of points just for a couple days a year. That would depend in many factors.

MG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!