I just don't get the wait list

I just used waitlist for the first time for a stay coming up in early June. I had single night waitlists and both came through! First was for BWV studio. Then I tried switching the stay to Poly studio bc more people were coming and that one came through as well! It was the best feeling getting those emails each time - a little bit of magic for sure!

I have 4 single night waitlists
Really hoping I don't end up with the 1st day and the 4th day

Also had luck twice in the last month.

-Booked my Guardians of the Galaxy ride preview last month and booked a room at POFQ but waitlisted OKW- came through a couple days later (for May 20-22)
-Waitlisted Beach Club studio back in February for Labor Day weekend and that just came through as well. I was shocked. The only time I have been able to get Beach Club studio during Food & Wine was 2020 when it was a Covid free-for-all!

Just had a waitlist for a 2 Br standard at the Riviera for one night in November. That completes my 3 night stay in the lower points standard! So now I can either rent my 2 br preferred or just put the points back in my account! Either way we are saving 36 points on the Riviera!

We've been 4/5 for waitlists! The only one that didn't come through was the VGC for last weekend. (We had one booked and needed a 2nd. Ended up paying for a CL room -ouch!

Just had a waitlist for a 2 Br standard at the Riviera for one night in November. That completes my 3 night stay in the lower points standard! So now I can either rent my 2 br preferred or just put the points back in my account! Either way we are saving 36 points on the Riviera!

We've been 4/5 for waitlists! The only one that didn't come through was the VGC for last weekend. (We had one booked and needed a 2nd. Ended up paying for a CL room -ouch!
Just as reference how long were on the wait list and when is the date of travel

Also curious about waitlists. It cancels at either 30 or 7 days out. Is there no way to have it go all the way to check in day? I am willing to adjust up to that day.

Also curious about waitlists. It cancels at either 30 or 7 days out. Is there no way to have it go all the way to check in day? I am willing to adjust up to that day.
No, there is no way to extend the waitlist to arrival day. The waitlist is not entirely automatic, requiring DVC CMs to manage the reservations. If nothing else, I assume they didn't want to take responsibility for waitlist matches occurring on short notice and not having all of the changes immediately transferred over.

You can keep checking the website though.

The 30 day limit exists to avoid points going into holding if members are trying to move to a cheaper option. If you have a preferred view booked and are waitlisted for standard view, use the 30 day option because those extra points will go into holding if the change is made under 30 days.

If there's no negative point impact, 7 days is fine.

Once you get to 7 days, it is stalking the website only. When a waitlist matches, it has to be manually processed by a CM and I believe ending it a week out gives them time to make sure they can get them all done in time.

No, there is no way to extend the waitlist to arrival day. The waitlist is not entirely automatic, requiring DVC CMs to manage the reservations. If nothing else, I assume they didn't want to take responsibility for waitlist matches occurring on short notice and not having all of the changes immediately transferred over.

You can keep checking the website though.

The 30 day limit exists to avoid points going into holding if members are trying to move to a cheaper option. If you have a preferred view booked and are waitlisted for standard view, use the 30 day option because those extra points will go into holding if the change is made under 30 days.

If there's no negative point impact, 7 days is fine.
So, I can make the changes myself within 7 days, it just won’t be automatic?

So, I can make the changes myself within 7 days, it just won’t be automatic?

Yup. Just remember that any changes to the reservation that result in less points, or if you adjust which contracts you use, will give you holding points. That is why one of the options is 31 days to avoid that.

Yup. Just remember that any changes to the reservation that result in less points, or if you adjust which contracts you use, will give you holding points. That is why one of the options is 31 days to avoid that.
Yep. Not looking for less point reservations, only upgrades to current reservation.
Do thinking open up within 7 days? Or is that rare?

Yep. Not looking for less point reservations, only upgrades to current reservation.

Rare but you just never know. It all depends on how many nights you want and where as well!!!

No explicit data is available but logic suggests it's fairly rare. As we've said, if reservations are cancelled within 30 days, the points go into holding which severely restricts their future use. Prior to that 30 day mark, there's no penalty for cancellations. For that reason, the vast majority of owners should be making a firm decision on their use of the room at least a month in advance.

Unexpected things do happen which prompt late cancellations. During Covid DVC was allowing exceptions to the holding rules, but that's not the case anymore. WDW trips usually involve airfare, vacation time and other factors which make it difficult to bail for anything less than a family emergency.

Finding an exact match for your needs is also a challenge. If you're looking for 7 nights in a BLT Standard View, does it help if someone cancels 5 nights in a more expensive Theme Park view? Maybe, maybe not depending upon the number of points you have available and willingness to do a split stay.

Odds of checking the website and grabbing a cancellation that's a perfect fit within 7 days of arrival are a little better than needle in a haystack.

I changed within 7 days for both of my recent trips, upgrades. People flake or get sick or whatever, and there isn't much demand that close to the stay.

I intentionally booked one with OKW so I would be ready to spend more points for what popped up.

My best luck with the WL is to book 1 or 2 nights in a row. I've never had a WL come thru for longer than 2 nights. Lately my last 2 WL I've deactivated as modifying at 8a worked in my favor.

I always though it was nice that the wait list ended at seven days and Disney room reservation could be canceled up to 4 days prior…

I want to believe that was done on propose

I always though it was nice that the wait list ended at seven days and Disney room reservation could be canceled up to 4 days prior…

I want to believe that was done on propose

Not understanding the connection between DVC and cash.

Not understanding the connection between DVC and cash.
By give a little grace time, you can let the waitlist expire, stalk the website for a day or two, before you are stuck with the cash room… Or a room at a resort.

i know that is not why Disney did that but it works out to our favor

By give a little grace time, you can let the waitlist expire, stalk the website for a day or two, before you are stuck with the cash room… Or a room at a resort.

i know that is not why Disney did that but it works out to our favor

Got it...I got the sense that they need time to process if a waitlist matches...so they end a week out to give CMs time to make sure any waitlist that matched at 7 days, is set by the time the trip happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter