I hate my granite countertops!

Tinijocaro said:
OP here. I like them now. I have been using microfiber cloths but at times my kitchen sponge., which has dish soap residue on it.

I tried vinegar (oops) which made them look much better.

I went out and bought a granite cleaner and that made all the difference. No more swipe marks.

Question: how can they be ruined to the point of needing to be resurfaced as another poster said? How would I know if they were ruined?

Thanks for all replies!

Ocassional use of a mild vinegar solution will not ruin your granite. Is it the "best" idea...probably not. But, it's not going to ruin them or cause them to be refinished. My tops are 7 years old, and I've probably done a mild vinegar thing on them a dozen times in that time. They still look BRAND new. That's why I love granite.

My tops are Rockville White...which is mainly black...speckled with white, beige and brown. You never see crumbs on it...not necessarily a good thing. LOL!

I actually have a black granite countertop in the kitchen and love it. I use a cleaner designed specifically for it and reseal occasionally. For daily cleaning, I just use water and a towel and don't end up with swipe marks.

I love a product called Granite Gold for cleaning my black/rust granite. Daily I just use windex. I agree that Bounty towels are the best!

Personally I am not a fan of granite. I have seen some granite that I find attractive but mostly I find it rather ugly. Our new house has Corian, much prefer it. Just my personal opinion. I use a homemade cleaner on almost everything in my home, including granite. I bring vinegar to almost a boil, add baking soda, add a few drops of cinnamon essential oil, and mix it up well (off the top of my head I can not recall the amount of vinegar and baking soda). I put this solution in spray bottles. After I clean the granite, I will wipe down with a soft cloth (same with stainless steel, mirrors, and windows). The cleaner works very well and smells very nice. I like that it is safe around children and pets.

i have black granite countertops. i use the Method Granite cleaner and only have streaks if i use a cloth that isn't clean (for example, it may be fine at the start, but as i get to the last part of my counters, it starts to get more streaky--i have a lot of counter space in my kitchen). if i use paper towels, i'm fine.

Vinegar and water might be fine for Granite IF it has a good sealant on it. Without applying sealant occasionaly, how could one be sure.
But, I would think that most granite could have compounds that vinegar could erode should the sealant not be adequate.

I also would not use Windex, or any other cleaner that has ammonia.

A hot soapy dish-cloth should be fine.
Might not want to use a strong solution of detergent, as this might begin to remove the sealant.

OP, I have granite in my CALI home and corian in my Boston home. I use 409 granite counter cleaner. $5.00 at Wal Mart. Works great.

http://www.lifeandhome.com/formula-409-natural-stone-cleaner.html?gclid=CL2Fqayy_LQCFad_QgodKgIAPw

40397184_121712_ks.jpg

OP, I have granite in my CALI home and corian in my Boston home. I use 409 granite counter cleaner. $5.00 at Wal Mart. Works great.

http://www.lifeandhome.com/formula-409-natural-stone-cleaner.html?gclid=CL2Fqayy_LQCFad_QgodKgIAPw

40397184_121712_ks.jpg

When I said I use 409 (for granite), that's exactly what I buy and use. After 9 years, my granite still looks brand new and it's also black w/specks. I can't remember the name of it, but it's a pretty common variation. I also use the vinegar based windex (NO AMMONIA) all the time. The beauty of granite is that if it's sealed, it can take a lot.

Also, smears on granite are probably caused by grease and oils, pure and simple. You have oils on your skin and just resting your hand or touching the countertop transfers those oils as well as splatters from food. Cleaning with soap and water is perfectly safe and will remove the oils without smearing them around.

I have black granite in my kitchen. I was told NO ammonia or vinegar. I buy the granite cleaner they sell in Lowe's - it clean and seals and leaves the counters nice and shiny. I used to use the 409 Granite cleaner but my store no longer carries it - that was also an excellent product.

Vinegar and water might be fine for Granite IF it has a good sealant on it. Without applying sealant occasionaly, how could one be sure.
But, I would think that most granite could have compounds that vinegar could erode should the sealant not be adequate.

If there is any calcium carbonate (i.e., marble, limestone, fossils) then it will definitely react with acid and degrade over time. However, quartz, feldspar, and most or the dark minerals (mafics) will not react and would be fine. It would all depend on the composition of the rock making up the countertop (which, by the way, is quite often not 'granite', even though it is advertised that way).

DH and I are both geology geeks. We love checking out the countertops and picking out the different minerals :)

Call your local granite place. You can always have them re-sealed. We just had new granite installed and we were also told by the granite company that vinegar was just fine

Personally I am not a fan of granite. I have seen some granite that I find attractive but mostly I find it rather ugly. Our new house has Corian, much prefer it. Just my personal opinion. I use a homemade cleaner on almost everything in my home, including granite. I bring vinegar to almost a boil, add baking soda, add a few drops of cinnamon essential oil, and mix it up well (off the top of my head I can not recall the amount of vinegar and baking soda). I put this solution in spray bottles. After I clean the granite, I will wipe down with a soft cloth (same with stainless steel, mirrors, and windows). The cleaner works very well and smells very nice. I like that it is safe around children and pets.

I used to have Corian, but couldn't stand how easily it scratched. When the light hit it just right you could see all the tiny scratches just from sliding a dinner plate across it.

IMO, Quartz counter tops are far superior to granite.

no, no windex on granite or vinegar!!!!!!!

granite is pourous, and the sealing method vaires from granite to granite, therefore using many grocery store cleaners can permantely ruin them

Invest in daily grainite cleaner and water!!!! no soap either---method sells a daily granite cleaner, a light spritz, followed by hot water wash, then dry with paper towels.

They may need to be re-sealed if they were cleaned like this for years--I/d call a granite company in for an opinion

This is so true!!! My SIL used windex for years on her granite is ruined. Her granite looks horrible and the cost to undo the damage is too high.

I love ZEP granite and polish cleaner. It works well with my granite and it shines wonderfully.

If you need to reseal your granite, it is very easy to do and you can buy the sealer on amazon.

I know this is an old thread but never use vinegar on granite even if it's sealed. The same reason why you don't use dish soap to wash a car. They are both cleaners but made for specific items to clean and detrimental to other items not specifically made for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter