I finally found an answer to film and airport x-rays!!!

LAMPSKIES

<font color=blue>DIS Veteran<br><font color=green>
We went to Las Vegas this weekend for a wedding and flew out of O'hare.(We usually fly out of Midway) We got there 2 hours and 15 minutes early for an 8:30 a.m. flight. There was nobody there. Soooooo I asked the gentleman (who was quite chatty) about film. He told me "DON'T PUT ANY UNDEVELOPED FILM IN NON-CARRY-ON LUGGAGE, IT WILL BE RUINED"!! I know there have been many posts about this but it never seemed be be answered for sure. He told me the speed doesn't matter.

There are signs in the Orlando Airport telling people to remove all film from their checked bags.

Undeveloped film is fine, as long as it is not exposed (pictures taken) yet. I had quite a lengthy conversation about this with a guy at MCO as I dug through my dirty clothes to get my flim out of my bag!::yes::

Checking on for our cruise, we took the time to remove the film that was in our carry-on... I had bought a high grade of film, including 800 speed for snorkeling...

So, we hand it to the guy, and before I can stop him, after all that trouble digging out our film, in one swift move, he dumps it in one of the plastic trays and shoves it into the scanning machine.... arrrgggghhh!!!!

Hmmmmmm......sounds like we're right back to where we started. The guy at O'hare says it's ALL O.K. thru the carry-on, and it's ALL BAD thru the baggage check. Signs at Orlando say different.

On my way to my cruise this past January ALL of my film was in my luggage that was checked, so it was all scanned at Logan with the new high power x ray machines. When we were going home I started to flip out when I saw the signs at MCO about taking all film out of luggage or it will be ruined. :eek: The guy saw me doing my VERY UNHAPPY dance and reassured me that if I hadn't taken pictures on the film when it went through in Boston, I should be all set. Me, being ever the pessamist, didn't believe him and expected the worst when I got my pictures developed. But I was surprised that they came out great!

I just returned from our trip to WDW. We flew out of JFK and I had 4 rolls of film (1 loaded in camera) in my carry on. With all th post that I was reading i decided to tell the guard NOT to send my film through the x-ray machine.... his reply was "Any film speed over 400 ( i had 800) should NOT go through the x-ray machine.

On our return flight I know had 3 rolls taken and 1 still in the camera. At MCO I told them the same thing. He did not send it through the normal x-ray machine but he did examine it. I am still waiting to pick up my film.

Will let everyone know how they come out.

just my 2cents.

Erin:wave:

The concrete answer is the initial poster's.

DO NOT put any film in your checked luggage. It is perfectly safe in the carryons, but the new high power scanners they send all the checked luggage through has the very good possibility of damaging your film, exposed or not.

I also have a secondary note, I have not used a roll of film in approximately 5 years now. I do all digital. The only time I have needed a film camera has been the waterproof disposeables for when we do water fun. :) These have gone thru the carryon scanners in both directions, including MCO's with no ill effects.

If you're really worried about it, don't bother schlepping any along, you can buy them (both rolls of film and waterproof) in the ship's gift shop and have them developed onboard, no scanners involved whatsoever.

Thanks MarkRG........I believe you and I were in one of those previous posts and couldn't get a concrete answer. That's why I asked at the airport. I too use a digital but DW does that "creative memories" and is kindof old fassion about the pics in her books.

Scrapbooking is actually MORE fun with digital :) We do scrapbooks for all our Disney trips. Look into things like Microsoft's Picture It! or the cardmaking programs from Hallmark and American Greetings, you'll be amazed. :)

(rummages around on cdroms of older stuff)

As an example, here's the coverpage from the cruise scrapbook for this year(resized, of course):
coverpage.jpg

I read (I believe on the NTWSB web site) that film is OK in a carry on. It should only be scanned a total of 5 times before you can expect some damage. That is for any film as long as it is not over 800 speed (professional). On our cruise in September, our film was scanned probably about 5 times and all pictures came out fine. Hope this answers some questions.

What about having your film in your check through at the port?? We are not flying. Can I have my film in my check through or should I carry it on?

Hope

Same rules apply, they use the same equipment, carry on your film there too.

:rolleyes: One more question.........what about waterproof cameras and the single use cameras?

:hyper: Hope

Film is....film, don't matter what container it's in, it is still vulnerable. Like I said, if you're really, really worried about it, you can just buy it onboard.

I didn't want to take any chances so I called the 1-800 number that is printed on the side of the Kodak film box. The customer service rep was very nice and explained it all to me.

It's pretty much like what you have all been saying. Never put it into your checked luggage, only run 400 speed or less through the carry on luggage X-Ray machine, and if you can talk them into it, have them hand check all of your film no matter what the speed is.

I use 400 speed film and ran it all through the carry on X-Ray machine and had all 13 rolls come out, in my eyes, perfect.

Eric

I had the same problem as Wishing on a star... When I was returning to the ship at the port the x-ray operator immediately grabbed my of film and camera that I had dug out for hand inspection and put it in a plastic tray and right into the x-ray. This was AFTER I had asked for a hand inspection.

Be sure to count up the number of times your film will go through x-ray (including various legs of your flights if you leave the security areas).

The big CTX machines they use to scan your checked baggage has a very high chance of ruining your film. Very high powered x-rays.

They say that you can run your film under 800 speed through the carryon x-ray machines about 5 times without damage. In pre 9/11 days, this was ok because they zipped your carryon through the machine without a sideways glance. Since 9/11 they put your bag in the machine and look at it for a long time, and who know how many times they are hitting it with the x-ray. Then they take your bag and run it through the machine a couple of more times just to make sure its ok. First airport, you may be at the 5 times through the machine!!:earseek: And you have to go through the same procedure every time you board the ship.

I have never understood the argument of that the film is "safe" from the x-rays if you have not taken pictures yet. X-rays are x-rays if the film has been exposed or not. If it has not been exposed, it will be when you take pictures later on. So I guess technically speaking, they cant ruin your pictures if you have not taken them yet, but if they screw up your film, the pictures you will be taking are not going to come out ok.

There is a pretty simple way to make sure those inspectors will hand check your film. And this was confirmed and encouraged by a family friend that heads a security section at an airport.

Use the lead lined film safes. These are bags that you can get in a variety of sizes. I happen to have 2 from Lands End that are a ballistic cloth on the outside with a velcro closure. But you can also get them from most camera shops that are a plastic outside and have a plastic clip closures.

Put the camera and film inside those. I pull the bags out of my camera case and let them run the bag with lenses, flash, etc through the X-ray machine. But as soon as they see those film safes it is PROCEDURE to do a hand inspection at the airport and when going through the port inspection.

I could easily slip the camera and a couple extra rolls of film into one inside my backpack or tote when going off the ship at the ports and then just ran the whole pack through when coming back on board. No one ever questioned it.
Deb

Thanks for the info, FantasticDisFamily!

I will try that if I don't go digital before my next cruise!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter