I can't get excited about POFQ!

I wasn't excited to stay at there either and it turns out I should have listened to my gut. We were there 3 nights and I couldn't take it anymore and asked to be switched to AoA which we loved!

I understand your frustration but I would live to reassure you about POFQ. We are in the airport, just having left BC and all my family has said is that they missed our favorite resort. Honestly, I love AKL but we all feel you can't beat POFQ for money or atmosphere. It is a quaint compact resort that is convenient to everything.

Sometimes when you go in with no (or low) expectations, you are even more pleasantly surprised when you get there. Look for the silver lining and I hope you enjoy your vacation :)

Just came home a few hours ago from POR. You will love either one - POR or POFQ. The rooms are large, the beds are sooooo comfortable, the food courts are fantastic, the rooms are clean, the common areas are clean, the pools are extremely clean & well-kept, etc, etc, etc!

If you get tired of the smaller atmosphere & food court at POFQ, it is just a short walk to POR's very large food court, which is probably the best food court on Disney property. FQ shares the pools with POR. You may use any of the quiet pools. There is so much beauty in walking through the French Quarter townhouses, the POR Alligator section, & the POR mansion section.

If you are not happy or not satisfied in any way - stop at the front desk of the resort. They will do everything possible to help you enjoy your stay more. This is a class A resort. I have never been disappointed! Try it - you might just like it! :thumbsup2

Nothing is wrong with you, and I get it! OK, I'm a very "glass half full" kind of person, but I find it helps to have realistic expectations going in, so my post will include both pros and cons. For background, we've stayed in every deluxe except GF and every mod except POR. For the past nine years or so, it's been entirely deluxe. Last spring, I took our youngest son for a few days during Easter week - rack rate, holiday season everywhere and I just didn't like those prices. So I decided to do three nights at POFQ and then switch to YC when the discounts kicked in.

I'd say POFQ is either my favorite mod or even with CSR. I LOVED the small size of the resort - very cozy and wonderful that were so close to the buses, to the food court for refill mugs, to the pool, etc. I also liked the fact that if you want to walk further, POR is just down the path. So while POFQ is small, it's not isolated or too small. The food court was one of the least chaotic resort food courts I've seen. The CMs at the gift shop were wonderful and the selection was great. The grounds were very nice and well-themed. The pool slide was fun for our 5-year-old. The bus service was quite good first thing in the morning to MK (not so good to Epcot in the afternoon for dinner ADRs.) If a deluxe doesn't fit your budget, POFQ is a great choice.

But POFQ was an adjustment after sticking with deluxe resorts exclusively for such a long time. I was thrilled to get to YC at the end of our trip. I think part of the problem was that I read several posts suggesting that POFQ was similar to a deluxe, and some from posters who preferred POFQ to a deluxe. I thought the difference between POFQ and a deluxe was significant. I missed the easy walk from the Epcot deluxes to Epcot and DHS. I missed the quick monorail or boat to MK from the MK area resorts. But if you are used to AKL and buses, that may not be as big of a deal. I missed the balcony we have at deluxe resorts quite a lot - I think that was one of the biggest issues. And I think the difference between the AKL lobby and the POFQ entry is, well, significant.

But I agree with others that the best thing to do is focus on the other aspects of the trip and spend as much time out of the resort as possible. If we're staying somewhere I'm excited about (whether at WDW or elsewhere), then I include that in my focus. If not, I just think about the other things I love. (And if you're thinking about a possible switch, I wonder what the WL rates are like for your stay - those are often really reasonable and not much more than a mod!)

Really hope you have a wonderful trip!

I think i know how you feel. Back in 2004 i had booked the grand Floridan but because i lost my job i had to switch to this resort. I wasn't happy about it. My DBF loved the place. He really loved the pool,i hated it. But i put on a smile because it was his first trip to a disney park and while it wasn't a dexlue,the mousekeeping took very good care of us and the food court wasn't too bad. I told myself your at wdw with the one who l loved and we had a blast. He realy loved the bost to downtown disney. so perhaps thing will not be too bad have a maigical stay.

We are owners at AKL so obviously we love it there BUT we also LOVE POFQ! When we bought into DVC our guide couldn't believe that we said we were sad because we would never stay there again. It's romantic and smaller and quieter which can be a nice change of pace from the parks.

Exactly...and living 100 miles from the REAL New Orleans, it does a great job at capturing the essence of that wonderful town. It is a beautiful, serene resort but with a spark of Mardi Gras. It reminds me a little of the River Walk mall down at the end of Canal Street on the MS River.

Their beignets are not quite as good as the Cafe DuMonde--but they try very hard.

We own at AKV, but I would rate POFQ my fav moderate by far. We had a great trip there.

I stayed there on night before we checked into another Disney resort.
It is just ok. But it really is a you get what you pay for situation.

I would rather stay a few days less than stay moderate.

All the choices available make it easy to have what you want.

ToddyLu said:
Exactly...and living 100 miles from the REAL New Orleans, it does a great job at capturing the essence of that wonderful town. It is a beautiful, serene resort but with a spark of Mardi Gras. It reminds me a little of the River Walk mall down at the end of Canal Street on the MS River.

Their beignets are not quite as good as the Cafe DuMonde--but they try very hard.

We own at AKV, but I would rate POFQ my fav moderate by far. We had a great trip there.

Hush now! Cafe duMonde and pofq beignets in the same sentence is near blasphemy! Hahaha jk.

We are leaving in a matter of days for the World. Originally we were staying at AKL, but due to unforeseen circumstances we had to switch to POFQ to save a little money. I am super excited about our trip in general, but I can't seem to care about the resort. I don't know what my deal is, but it just doesn't do it for me! What's wrong with me?

nothing you just wanted to stay at a deluxe - that say POFQ is a smaller resort - and is very nice.

look at the website that mlittig that posted.

the thing I don't like about is the swimming pool - now it is great for kids - but really enjoyed a community pool. now you can also use the stuff including pools at POR - and it does have community pools (use to be quiet)

of course who knows the pool is definitely cute you might enjoy it.

they have a nice hot tub.

next door at POR is entertainment at night - Bob (I think) read the por website it will say.

it does have a boat to DTD - that is alot of fun to ride - so it does have some things.

disney does not try to be like the real New Orleans - but one that New Orleans would probably love to be. It is definitely cleaner and less crime than the real one.

who knows it might become your new favorite wdw resort.

Beignets, po-boys, TIW card accepted" which is an exception for a moderate resort,". Boats to downtown Disney, I only wish we could stay there, we tend to stick to the values. You'll love it, and if you are like most people the sort has very little bearing on your vacation, if you live at the parks!

Beignets alone, make it worth to stay there :thumbsup2 . But honestly it's one of our favorite resorts after the Yacht club or the Boardwalk. Go with an open mind as opposed to a self fulfilling prophecy.

I always thought POFQ looked "boring" when I saw pictures on the Disney website. A few trips ago we decided to stay there because it's smaller size. We fell in love! This will be our 3rd trip staying there. The size is small and cozy. It has such a laid back feel to it. I love that it is not "Disney-in-your-face" all the time. Don't get me wrong, we love Pop for that reason, but it was a nice change.

I've stayed at AKL and POFQ and yes, they are really different so I understand that.

It may be blasphemy to say this but after about three nights we weren't really standing on the balcony and enjoying the animals as much. It was beautiful and all but I don't know that we'd return there. Been there, done that, yanno?

POFQ however we WILL return to because it's so wonderfully small and intimate, it has it's own bus line most of the time. There are great features to all the resorts but my favorite is coming off the bus, tired and with feet aching from a day full of fun and NOT having to hike to my room. Then being able to sink into a QUEEN sized bed in a rennovated room and NOT having to share a double with my DH. Then when I decide I want to grab my mug and pop over to the food court to grab a drink, I can be there inside 5 minutes anrood I can actually USE the features of the resort because I can get to them. I also loved having a courtyard view room and being able to step onto the beautifully groomed grounds to watch the bunnies in the early morning while I meandered back with my imitation Disney coffee or to watch the outdoor movies they screen on the big inflatable screen each evening.

It doesn't have BOMA or zebras but it has convenience and a friendly charm.
and we have family in NOLA so some of the details make us smile. It's like a scrubbed down version of the quarter. We always get a laugh out of visiting the food court and taking photos in front of the face from the floats that is blowing and we all mimic the expression. There is also fun entertainment in the lounge in the evening and lots of pretty benches where you can rest. The pool is fun, the hot tub crowd friendly, the walk to the more themed pool at Old Man Island isn't undoable, the boat ride home from DTD is charming and fun.

Maybe this link will help? http://www.portorleans.org/ A moderate so loved it has it's own website. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter