I am so upset and don't know what to do....

danilynn19

DIS Veteran
My ds (18) wanted his gf of over 2 years to come to Disney with us. So I agreed (seperate rooms though). Well everything is going well and all of a sudden he tells me they broke up. :scared: I kept my fingers crossed that they would make up and she could still come with us...especially since she gave me $1000 for her tickets to Disney, Universal, Disney Queat, MVMCP, Sea World and the Pirate Dinner show. Including airfare etc. But no such luck, he says they've been arguing for about 4 months now and decided to break up before they hate each other. Which I respect, but now what? :confused3
Well, the airline tells me that I they can't refund they can only give her credit. She's ok with that. But now what the heck do I do with the tickets that are locked up in our safe. :sad2: I offered her the tickets and her mother being the witch that she is said no she wants the money. Does anyone have any ideas? I am NOT trying to make a profit I just want this girl to get her ticket price back. :idea: She is a sweetheart and I still love her to death..:love: ..wish son would realize that too, but I can't force it. Any suggestions?

I would make your son pay her back. He asked if she could come so to me it is his responsibility to make this right. If I was her mom I would want the money back too, ykwim? If you can sell the ticket to someone else I think that is great solution but if not I think she should get the money back for a ticket she is not using. The situation sucks for sure though.

I would tell the mother that according to Disney, tickets are non-transferable and non-refundable. I would give her the tickets and phone numbers and tell her that if she wants to invest her own time into trying to get her money back, to be your guest, but you are not going to spend hours of your time doing it.

I would tell the mother that according to Disney, tickets are non-transferable and non-refundable. I would give her the tickets and phone numbers and tell her that if she wants to invest her own time into trying to get her money back, to be your guest, but you are not going to spend hours of your time doing it.

HHHMMMMM I kind of like that idea. I mean we've tried getting someone else to come with us and nothing. Shoot if it was me and my kid already paid and we're getting credit with the airline I'd be like gimme I'll talk her. I mean she's 17 and has never been. I was REALLY looking forward to her coming with us for 2 reasons. One she another girl...thank god! 2. To see Disney through someone else's eyes for the first time especially during the Christmas season.:santa:

If you bought your self tickets and then for whatever reason could not go then that would be your problem. Well unfortunatly this is her problem , not yours.pirate: princess:

I would make your son pay her back. He asked if she could come so to me it is his responsibility to make this right. If I was her mom I would want the money back too, ykwim? If you can sell the ticket to someone else I think that is great solution but if not I think she should get the money back for a ticket she is not using. The situation sucks for sure though.

See then I think it's not fair to my son either. They both agreed to break up and she was the one that asked him to ask me if she could come. Grrrrr kids.:mad:

Since the tickets are nonrefundable, I would give the girl the tickets she paid for. I would NOT make your son pay for them. Unless the breakup was totally his fault (and most of them are BOTH people's fault) he should not be punished more. Im sure he is hurting enough. Giving her what she paid for is NOT taking advantage of her. Maybe she can arrange her OWN Disney trip soon.

Give her the tickets and tell her they never expire and she can use them someday.

If you tell me the dates I might be able to come along with you??:banana: :love: :flower3: :lmao:

I totally disagree. Why should she have the expectation that all of this is totally refundable? She provided the funds for the purchase of particular tickets, and they've been purchased. If she chooses not to go now, then she has to figure out what to do with what she purchased - just like anyone else would who was in that situation. Sure, if I was her mom, I'd want the money back, too - but I'd also be advising my child that if she forked over that kind of cash, she should have known the terms and conditions of what it was she was buying (and I should know that as her mom, too - since she's 17 and a minor.) YOU were not selling her the tickets, such that her mom can demand the cash back. Disney sold them - and they come with strings.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I'd hand over the tickets, along with receipts to show how much they cost, and wish them well in selling them somehow.

Maybe, YOU could invite her to come with YOU, not as his girlfriend, but as a family friend who already has tickets and needs someone to go with.

Hope it works out for all of you.

I think she should go as friends. They were not sharing a room anyway. Tell them the only rule is no fighting. They are 17 years old, I think they could get along for a week.

I think you should give her her tickets and let her decide what to do with them. She made a decision to go, it's her problem now. As sweet as she is, she has to learn personal responsiblilty. I think even Judge Judy would even agree with me.;)

I think she should go as friends. They were not sharing a room anyway. Tell them the only rule is no fighting. They are 17 years old, I think they could get along for a week.

I think this might be a good idea if they are still friends. However if they are not then I think she should just get the tickets. Why should you be out the money?? DO NOT BE BULLIED BY HER MOM. She asked to go, you allowed it, she purchased the tickets..What does her mom think you are her daughters trip insurance?? Come on! I think she is entitled to her tickets and she still will get to use the airfare. MAybe she can find another person to go with. Do not feel guilty about giving her the tickets and not the money!pirate:

No real reason for the pirate, but I just never get to use him!! HA

I mostly agree w/ pp's; I would offer her the tickets and they can do as they like with them. However, I would do my best to be very nice about it, and if you're comfortable, reiterate that she is still welcome on the trip. At the end of the day, kids are a little fickle, and you never know if they're gonna go back across the bridge kwim?

I think that the tickets are hers and she needs to keep them and use them at a later date or take the loss. She knew what she was getting into and if she didn't, that's not your fault either. You shouldn't take the $1000 loss either....don't let her mom bully you.

I think this might be a good idea if they are still friends. However if they are not then I think she should just get the tickets. Why should you be out the money?? DO NOT BE BULLIED BY HER MOM. She asked to go, you allowed it, she purchased the tickets..What does her mom think you are her daughters trip insurance?? Come on! I think she is entitled to her tickets and she still will get to use the airfare. MAybe she can find another person to go with. Do not feel guilty about giving her the tickets and not the money!pirate:

No real reason for the pirate, but I just never get to use him!! HA

jamieT, LOL on the pirate, and I agree with your comments. danilynn19, as the mom is a witch and you don't want to deal with her, send the tickets directly to the daughter. If the mom comes after you, tell her what previous posters here have said. Screen your calls if you need to and walk the other way if you see her coming toward you menacingly. Or pretend you're a pirate! pirate:
Seriously, you have my sympathy. It sounds like an upsetting situation and I hope it all works out for the best. Keep us posted!

Hmm...

That's a tough situation. I'm trying to think how Judge Judy would handle this one...

I think it would be something along the lines of this:

The girl gave you the money for the expressed purpose of buying a plane ticket, Disney tickets, etc. When she gave you the money, she informed you that she wanted to go with your family.

In turn, you bought her the tickets that she requested.

You fulfilled your end of the bargain.

Now, if she doesn't want to go...No matter what the circumstances, that's not your problem.

You are not forbidding her to go, the offer still stands, in a legal sort of way.

If she chooses not to, well then, that's too bad. You have already done what was asked of you.

I think that the tickets are hers and she needs to keep them and use them at a later date or take the loss. She knew what she was getting into and if she didn't, that's not your fault either. You shouldn't take the $1000 loss either....don't let her mom bully you.

I totally agree with this. It is NOT your fault that she's not coming (unless she's still asking to go and you said no). Obviously I would give her the tickets that she bought, but I wouldn't give her the money. You bought the tickets on her behalf as a favour to her, to save her the trouble of have to do this herself; if you had not done that then she just would have had to go buy them directly and she would be in the same situation as she is now. You were a friend doing a favour. Not a business with some sort of refund policy.

Since you seem to like the girl, you could always suggest that she try to sell them on ebay/craigslist if that's legal (not sure if it is). Or you could keep an ear out for somebody else going that might be willing to take the ticket off her hands. Or if your son has another friend who is interested in going maybe they could work out a deal and buy the ticket from the girl. If one of these works, she might get all/some of her money back.

Well you never know...they could get back together. How long have they been broken up for?

Ok I would give her the tix...I mean they are her tickets that she bought so I think it would be her responsibility. It is not like your son just broke up with her..it was mutual.

Good luck!!! :)

Try convincing her to come. The both of them at disney being around all that magic... they will most likely get back together. :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter