I am doing a project on teaching children with Asperger Syndrome

karynnix

<font color=green>Cleaning the house while the kid
What are some books that you have used to teach your AS child reading, writing, math, counting money, tellnig time, understanding concepts, etc?

I am looking for specific children's books (picture books) that helped you teach your Aspie. For example, my son LOVES Blue's Clues, so I found some books where Steve and Blue learned about counting (The Button Book) and changes ("Lights On, Lights Off"). What helped you??

Not exactly what you asked, but I used the Bernestain Bear books for everyday lessons. They have books about visiting the dentist, going to school, moving day and so on.
That's the only books I can think of right now!

My 11 1/2 year old son has Asperger's Syndrome. As I recall, he didn't require any special books to learn his basic skills. He has always soaked up information like a spounge! Currently, he loves looking up things on Wikipedia. If he asks me a question like, "Who invented socks?" (yes, he really wanted to know), I tell him to look it up and he does.

He's always loved getting books from the library but he tends to focus on non-fiction (space books, train books, baseball books, etc.). He recently discovered the Chet Gecko mystery series and is enjoying reading those. And, despite his age, he still likes Thomas the Tank Engine. He has a big book called The Complete Thomas Collection that he still enjoys reading. :)

My 11 1/2 year old son has Asperger's Syndrome. As I recall, he didn't require any special books to learn his basic skills. He has always soaked up information like a spounge! Currently, he loves looking up things on Wikipedia. If he asks me a question like, "Who invented socks?" (yes, he really wanted to know), I tell him to look it up and he does.

He's always loved getting books from the library but he tends to focus on non-fiction (space books, train books, baseball books, etc.). He recently discovered the Chet Gecko mystery series and is enjoying reading those. And, despite his age, he still likes Thomas the Tank Engine. He has a big book called The Complete Thomas Collection that he still enjoys reading. :)

My 10 yr old Aspie boy sounds exactly the same, ;) he loves Wikpedia and will ask the same type of questions. We direct him to the computer also. He loves those non-fiction books. He just finished Jr Great Books and they read Alice in Wonderland. Loved it so much I checkout Through the Looking Glass for him.

Back to the OP, no we didn't use any special books to teach him skills, he got some extra help in reading & language arts with the special ed teacher, but got caught up and does that in regular class now. His teacher will occasionally send him down to work up LA homework if she thinks he is not grasping something well enough.

I've only used them once, but will be purchasing the package soon, it's called Sandbox learning.com and it's wonderful. You can personalize the stories. Right now we are learning about waiting and so the story is "My name is Joseph, I live in ....." Then it goes on to "Sometimes I want chicken nugets or to play game cube...". It's been great. I printed it out in color and it's about 14 pages long. They have all sorts of themes you can pick. Next we are doing bathroom hygiene.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter