I am boycotting Star Wars Galaxy's Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
There just aren't any franchises out there with a big enough following to get an entire park based only on it. Star Wars, Nintendo, and Harry Potter are all about as close as possible, and they are will only getting lands.

I would wager that DC or Marvel each have enough IP to carry an entire park. Unfortunately, the licensing agreements currently in place will probably prohibit that from happening.

The closest thing is the studio where they filmed the Harry Potter movies. I've been there twice but it is not an all day activity. It is more of an attraction than an entire theme park but still was fun...

As for the original poster... We all have our feelings about the various movies. If you are not upset with the retcon from the prequel movies, how can this suddenly be a problem with Disney? I agree that Last Jedi had some HUGE plot holes and characters were taken in a different direction. I hope that you find some joy in other areas and I agree with voting with where you spend your money.

I would wager that DC or Marvel each have enough IP to carry an entire park. Unfortunately, the licensing agreements currently in place will probably prohibit that from happening.

This list is a kind of interesting look at the money people spend on different franchises, which loosely translates to overall interest. The problem with a whole Marvel park is that you need people to spend money on tickets just to go there. The little marvel section in IOA is enough to draw some people in, but those who are not interested can also spend their money to go to different parts of the park.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises

Well this is a surprise.
On the Pop thread you talked about how excited you were and how you were going to brag to your friends that you went to HS to see Star Wars land everyday of your trip. :yo-yo:
LOL I was JUST going to say this!! She said over and over how she's going to brag to her friends about how she got into GE 10 times during her trip. I am so confused by so many of OP's posts...

On what though? If they didn't do it with potter I don't think they ever will.

I don't know. I just think that lately, Universal has been a step ahead of Disney on everything else, so why not this?

I don't know. I just think that lately, Universal has been a step ahead of Disney on everything else, so why not this?
Because I think both companies know they would be not reaching full potential with a one IP based park. Universals next Park will be multiple IPs.

Because I think both companies know they would be not reaching full potential with a one IP based park. Universals next Park will be multiple IPs.

Yes, which is much closer than one land in a park with no other IP based lands. An IP based park like what Universal is proposing sounds really cool.

Disney could have done a Star Wars park and Universal COULD do a full Nintendo Park. The bottom line is, there is PLENTY of material (more than Harry Potter) for each of those IPs to do so. There are several "planets" in the Star Wars Universe that we have seen in movies. You could easily build rides and attractions based on those planets. The Star Wars hotel would have been a great add on. I just feel like ONE land doesn't do the SW franchise justice at all. This could have been a HUGE boon for WDW. They need a 5th gate (I know all the arguments about why they don't need one, and I honestly disagree with all those arguments, so I don't want to hear them).

I just hate seeing Disney pay $70 billion for Fox when they could do so much more with that money.

Anyway...

But there are big negatives to that as well. Not everyone is a Star Wars fan. Building it as a land in an existing park means more people would go to that park overall than a just SW park. You also then have to consider the transitions between areas. You can't just walk from one planet to another. Its a slippery slope and I think they did the best they could with this.

Build good enough rides and no one will care what the IP is. Isn't that the thinking? That seems to be the entire selling point of Pandora: The World of Avatar. I hated that movie. I still visited the land and rode the rides.

And, you just "walk" into and out of Pandora. Isn't that supposed to be an alien planet? I don't recall any special space transporter. No one would care that you can just walk from planet to planet.

Build good enough rides and no one will care what the IP is. Isn't that the thinking? That seems to be the entire selling point of Pandora: The World of Avatar. I hated that movie. I still visited the land and rode the rides.

And, you just "walk" into and out of Pandora. Isn't that supposed to be an alien planet? I don't recall any special space transporter. No one would care that you can just walk from planet to planet.
Star Wars is a whole other level of theming, and fan base. I’m not saying they couldn’t build a park based on one IP but it just wouldn’t be smart.

Well then, I leave for one morning and come back to this thread :)
Just to address one point from the original post (not that the poster will read this since they have decided to boycott everything SW at Disney and so, also this thread)
The OP states that SWGE, Batuu and Black Spires Outpost is not SW because we haven't seen it....the word missing is yet. We know that there will be comic books on it, we might even see some mention of it in Episode XI. The fact that Hondo has decided to come to Batuu, that we get transmissions fro Rey and BB8 and Poe, make it part of the Universe
How many planets and systems have we been introduced through Star Wars through out the years and I'm not only talking about the movies, the canon is so wide, movies, ytv shows, cartoons, games, comic books...just because it's not located in Tattoine, Hoth, Moon of Endor doesn't mean itt's not SW

Well then, I leave for one morning and come back to this thread :)
Just to address one point from the original post (not that the poster will read this since they have decided to boycott everything SW at Disney and so, also this thread)
The OP states that SWGE, Batuu and Black Spires Outpost is not SW because we haven't seen it....the word missing is yet. We know that there will be comic books on it, we might even see some mention of it in Episode XI. The fact that Hondo has decided to come to Batuu, that we get transmissions fro Rey and BB8 and Poe, make it part of the Universe
How many planets and systems have we been introduced through Star Wars through out the years and I'm not only talking about the movies, the canon is so wide, movies, ytv shows, cartoons, games, comic books...just because it's not located in Tattoine, Hoth, Moon of Endor doesn't mean itt's not SW
It was mentioned in Solo: A Star Wars Story too.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter