• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I am boycotting Star Wars Galaxy's Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabybetterDisney

DIS Veteran
I am a casual Star Wars fan. I am a dedicated WDW fan.

Recently, I found that Disney has made Galaxy’s Edge after buying Star Wars.

When I first heard that Disney bought Star Wars from George Lucas, I was very happy. If anybody was going to be able to make something out of the Star Wars franchise, it would be Disney, I thought. I was sure that’s what Lucas thought too. There are tons of Star Wars fans in Disney. Disney is good at making movies. They will keep the legacy going and maybe even bring it to new heights.

In the years following, I learned slowly that Disney, at least the ones who are in power, does not love Star Wars at all.

In Spongebob Squarepants, there is a popular fastfood restaurant called Krusty Krabs. One time, a big corporation came to Mr. Krabs and bought the Krusty Krabs for a boat load of money. Then they started making burgers by machine-injecting gray matter into a mold. The resulting burgers looked like the original but was gray inside and tasted awful. The restaurant started failing and Mr. Krabs, who loved money more than anything, gave back all the money and got the restaurant back.

The big corporation can easily follow Mr. Krabs’ famous recipe and make money, but no. They don’t care about making the best burgers. They just want the name of the Krusty Krabs restaurant and then sell their own garbage. They think people will eat the inferior burger just because it has the same name as the original. They were wrong.

You wouldn’t think any big corporation can be so stupid, but I am now facing conclusive evidence that Disney is turning into such a corporation. Here are the incredible stupidities Disney committed:

1. They made Han and Leia get divorced.
2. They made their only son Ben into a complete irrational creep.
3. They made Ben kill Han for no reason.
4. They made the light saber behave weirdly.

And then, they went beyond stupidity and committed sins against Star Wars fans:

5. They made Leia fly through space but unable to lift rocks.
6. They made Luke into a grumpy old jerk who considered killing his own nephew Ben for what he might do in the future.
7. They made a Han Solo movie where the guy doesn’t remotely look like Han Solo.

I am never watching another Star Wars movie.

And now, Disney is proud to present SWGE: a land that has never been seen in any Star Wars movie. A land that does not put you in scenes of the awesome movies that shook the world. It is a billion-dollar, 14-acre evidence that Disney despise Star Wars.

I want to enjoy Galaxy’s Edge. I was getting ready to pay hundreds extra to get Disney After Hours just so that my family can get into Galaxy’s Edge. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I can’t do it. Galaxy’s Edge is not Star Wars. It is a machine injected gray matter that’s named Star Wars. It is a blatant violation and mockery of everything I cherished about Star Wars. Disney spent a boatlaod of money just so that they can push machine injected imitations onto SW fans.

I won’t be able to enjoy it even if I tried. A person has got to have some principles. SWGE is offensive.

I am angry about SWGE. But mostly, I am just sad. I spend a lot of money and effort to go to WDW every year. Disney World is the best place in the world to me. And now, I have no choice but to boycott part of it -- the new Star Wars Land.

Oh, I fully agree that the new movies (at least episode 8) are/is stupid, pointless, and then pointlessly stupid on top of that. Flying Leia was probably the dumbest thing I ever saw in a movie.
If the new land was "Flying dead/not dead Leia land", I wouldn't go. But the fact of the matter is, a couple of lame movies did not ruin the whole series and "Universe". It would be like saying you no longer love your husband/wife because they have been crabby about something for the past couple of weeks. There was a lot more history than just that.
If anybody doesn't want to go to the land, or Disney in general, please don't go! Less crowds for me, and then they will offer more incentives to get me to go there. The real fact of the matter is, though, they couldn't care less if you, or your whole family, swears to never set foot in their new land or not. They're printing money with it and they know it.

Last edited:
Hey to each their own but everything you mentioned has been known for roughly 2 years.

We knew they weren't building this land based on any specific movie. Personally I think that is smart. This land is canon and Lucasfilm has ben directly involved in creating the backstory. Many of the people still working at Lucasfilm were there before George Lucas sold. Making the land based on one specific time and area period from a past movie doesn't allow the land to evolve like this will.

When I first heard that Disney bought Star Wars from George Lucas, I was very happy. If anybody was going to be able to make something out of the Star Wars franchise, it would be Disney, I thought. I was sure that’s what Lucas thought too. There are tons of Star Wars fans in Disney. Disney is good at making movies. They will keep the legacy going and maybe even bring it to new heights.

In the years following, I learned slowly that Disney, at least the ones who are in power, does not love Star Wars at all.

In Spongebob Squarepants, there is a popular fastfood restaurant called Krusty Krabs. One time, a big corporation came to Mr. Krabs and bought the Krusty Krabs for a boat load of money. Then they started making burgers by machine-injecting gray matter into a mold. The resulting burgers looked like the original but was gray inside and tasted awful. The restaurant started failing and Mr. Krabs, who loved money more than anything, gave back all the money and got the restaurant back.

The big corporation can easily follow Mr. Krabs’ famous recipe and make money, but no. They don’t care about making the best burgers. They just want the name of the Krusty Krabs restaurant and then sell their own garbage. They think people will eat the inferior burger just because it has the same name as the original. They were wrong.

You wouldn’t think any big corporation can be so stupid, but I am now facing conclusive evidence that Disney is turning into such a corporation. Here are the incredible stupidities Disney committed:

6. They made Luke into a grumpy old jerk who considered killing his own nephew Ben for what he might do in the future.
7. They made a Han Solo movie where the guy doesn’t remotely look like Han Solo.

And now, Disney is proud to present SWGE: a land that has never been seen in any Star Wars movie. A land that does not put you in scenes of the awesome movies that shook the world. It is a billion-dollar, 14-acre evidence that Disney despise Star Wars.

I want to enjoy Galaxy’s Edge. I was getting ready to pay hundreds extra to get Disney After Hours just so that my family can get into Galaxy’s Edge. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I can’t do it. Galaxy’s Edge is not Star Wars. It is a machine injected gray matter that’s named Star Wars. It is a blatant violation and mockery of everything I cherished about Star Wars. Disney spent a boatlaod of money just so that they can push machine injected imitations onto SW fans.

I won’t be able to enjoy it even if I tried. A person has got to have some principles. SWGE is offensive.

I am angry about SWGE. But mostly, I am just sad. I spend a lot of money and effort to go to WDW every year. Disney World is the best place in the world to me. And now, I have no choice but to boycott part of it -- the new Star Wars Land.

Well this is a surprise.
On the Pop thread you talked about how excited you were and how you were going to brag to your friends that you went to HS to see Star Wars land everyday of your trip. :yo-yo:

Hey to each their own but everything you mentioned has been known for roughly 2 years.

We knew they weren't building this land based on any specific movie. Personally I think that is smart. This land is canon and Lucasfilm has ben directly involved in creating the backstory. Many of the people still working at Lucasfilm were there before George Lucas sold. Making the land based on one specific time and area period from a past movie doesn't allow the land to evolve like this will.

This.

There is not one specific land I can think of at all of WDW that is entirely an exact replica of the movie/ story it hails from. The experiences such as Pandora, TSL, and SWGE are meant to be immersive, not replicas and I think to varying degrees they hit that mark. Do we even see Andy's back yard in the Toy Story movies? Is it really an exact replica? I'm not an Avatar fan (nothing wrong with it, just not my genre) but I love Pandora. That's what they have to do- make these experiences attainable and enjoyable for those who may have never even seen the films.

I want to enjoy Galaxy’s Edge. I was getting ready to pay hundreds extra to get Disney After Hours just so that my family can get into Galaxy’s Edge. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I can’t do it. Galaxy’s Edge is not Star Wars. It is a machine injected gray matter that’s named Star Wars. It is a blatant violation and mockery of everything I cherished about Star Wars. Disney spent a boatload of money just so that they can push machine injected imitations onto SW fans.

As far as betraying the SW franchise, more than once I have seen George Lucas photographed there, and leaving the Grand Floridian, so he knows what they're doing. I'm not privy to the inner workings of the meetings but I have to imagine if he really had some massive objection, we'd have heard about it by now.

Movies evolve, fiction evolves. We don't always have to agree with where the owners/ directors/ producers/ writers take these stories and characters. More than once I've invested my time in a movie only to be completely over it by the sequel. I've invested in a tv show only to be over it halfway through season 2 when the story doesn't resonate for me. Clearly these SW changes resonate with someone, the machine is still making plenty of $$ and generating plenty of interest.

Here's where I draw the line with your commentary on "stupidity." "They made Han and Leia get divorced." Well, people get divorced. It's not always happily ever after and that's life. As for Kylo, well, kids grow up to be "creeps" sometimes. "They made Ben kill Han for no reason." Well, J.J. Abrams has explained this in detail (not that he owes that to any of us but it's there).

The rule.
This thread is complete BS brought on by someone known for their shall we say questionable posts.

Last edited:
This.

There is not one specific land I can think of at all of WDW that is entirely an exact replica of the movie/ story it hails from.

I know you said WDW, but it needs to be pointed out that Carsland at California Adventure is basically an exact replica of Radiator Springs from the Cars movie. It is uncanny. And it's fantastic. It can be done. It should have been attempted for something as major as Star Wars.

I know you said WDW, but it needs to be pointed out that Carsland at California Adventure is basically an exact replica of Radiator Springs from the Cars movie. It is uncanny. And it's fantastic. It can be done. It should have been attempted for something as major as Star Wars.

I have to disagree that it can be done well in the case of SW. @rteetz said it best- "Making the land based on one specific time and area period from a past movie doesn't allow the land to evolve like this will." Cars has a handful of main settings, Radiator Springs being one of them. That doesn't hold true for SW.

I have to disagree that it can be done well in the case of SW. @rteetz said it best- "Making the land based on one specific time and area period from a past movie doesn't allow the land to evolve like this will." Cars has a handful of main settings, Radiator Springs being one of them. That doesn't hold true for SW.
Exactly. SW is a vast universe with dozens of planets and areas and characters. There is no way you could bring that all to one land and it just wouldn't work. If you built Tatooine someone would be upset and say you should've have built Hoth instead or something. Disney didn't want to base this solely on the new movies either. That's why in the books and storyline you have aspects that say Vader has visited this port in the past and stuff like that.

Yeah, I agree. That's why what they SHOULD have done is build an entire Star Wars PARK.

Yeah, I agree. That's why what they SHOULD have done is build an entire Star Wars PARK.
But there are big negatives to that as well. Not everyone is a Star Wars fan. Building it as a land in an existing park means more people would go to that park overall than a just SW park. You also then have to consider the transitions between areas. You can't just walk from one planet to another. Its a slippery slope and I think they did the best they could with this.

But there are big negatives to that as well. Not everyone is a Star Wars fan. Building it as a land in an existing park means more people would go to that park overall than a just SW park. You also then have to consider the transitions between areas. You can't just walk from one planet to another. Its a slippery slope and I think they did the best they could with this.
Darn it. That's some pretty fair logic, and I do agree- even if it puts a pin in my balloon!!

Not to mention cost. We have multiple elaborately themed lands like WWoHP, Pandora, and now GE, but no one has done an entire park like that yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter