I-75 Campgrounds North of Atlanta

Just something you should think about if you're going through Atlanta on Labor Day Weekend. There are several events going on in that weekend, including Dragon Con which has gotten HUGE in the past few years. You might be better off taking I-285 around instead of I-75 straight through, or you may find yourself sharing the road with Stormtroopers, Spiderman, Klingons, zombies, and who knows what else.

That and the SEC game that weekend will be a traffic nightmare. I’d definitely suggest taking I-285 around Atlanta.
Thanks,

Just what I was looking for. I usually take I-75 through the middle since I-285 is almost always a mess. While seeing a few Stormtroopers or zombies could be fun, is there a preferred side of I-285 to take? East or west?

j

Thanks.

On the few times I have taken I-285, I have gone west. We did stop at Stone Mountain one trip for an overnight and did the east side, but that wasn't a drive through.

j

We live just above ATL on I-75 (Acworth/Kennesaw area). Everything said about ATL traffic and commuting times are true. If you do stop on the northside (along 75), I recommend Red Top Mountain State Park or McKinney Campground (Army Corps Campground). Both are an easy on/off from 75, and about 20 miles north of ATL.

I live in Gainesville and I go through Braselton, Winder, Monticello and come out in Forsyth. It takes a little bit longer but I'm moving and you don't have to worry about getting run over like you do on 285.

I would also recommend downloading the GA 511 app which will let you know what the best route to take, either 75 or 285 through ATLANTA to keep from hitting the daily bottle neck in the mornings. Usually traffic backs up on any interstate in metro around 6:15 and doesn’t clear out until after 9:00am. We usually go thru at night when it is less potential for traffic issues, however I will say you can never be 100 percent sure of traffic in Atlanta

... you can never be 100 percent sure of traffic in Atlanta

That's the truth. We headed down to WDW one time @ 4 AM (in hopes of missing the ATL traffic). We sat on the downtown connector (75/85 South) for almost 1.5 hours for a major accident and construction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!