Hurricane's in October???

PammyPoppins

DIS Veteran
Hi!
We are thinking about going on our first cruise. One of our daughters is in college but has Fall Break from school in October so thta is why we are considering October. Are the seas rougher in October so the boat rockier? Are our chances of a hurrican greatly increased in October?
Thank-You
Pam

We have done both a 4 night and 7 night Eastern in late October,both times the weather was great and the seas calm.

I've sailed twice at the end of September, and had great weather as well. :sunny:

Mother Nature is an unpredictable force and doesn't like to be nailed down to any particular pattern. :confused3 Plan your trip for what works best for your schedule and wallet, and try not to worry about the rest. :teeth:

As someone stated above Hurricanes are unpredictable. Usually October is the quieter month, but this last season we had a hurricane or two out there way past when hurricane season was suppose to end in late Nov.

We went on our first 4 night cruise 10/30 - 11/2/05. We thought that we were safe from Hurricane season being that we were sailing so late in the October. I did all kinds of research and there hadnt been a surmountable storm that late in October in many years.....Until this past hurricane season! We were not rerouted as we were sailing the weekend after Wilma had hit the East Coast. WDW was a little busier than expected as many evacuated saouthern Florida and went to Disney. The weather was great -high 70's during the day with lots of sun, Once on the ship it was a bit over cast and a bit rainey the first day at sea, but the majority of the time was great weather. The seas were the roughest the first night we left Port Canaveral... 20 or so foot swells! The first night on the cruise was a little rocky to say the least - people were sick and laying pretty low, the boat was a bit tippy, But we were told that the straights of Florida is pretty rough a lot of the time... That was the worst of it. Once that was over the seas calmed down and the clouds burned off... :smooth:

This past Hurricane Season was the worst we had seen in years. It is not typical to see storms that late in the season, I would deffinatly go that time of year again in a heart beat. Being from NH - the weather was far better than what we had been experiencing! And yes, I was a bit "panicy" while the Wilma Hurricane was happening - would our cruise be cancelled? Would the seas be super rough? Would the weaher as a whole be crappy? Is this going to be a waste of all our hard earned money... and Thank God I included Trip insurance; incase something had happened. :rolleyes:

Our children are small and wouldnt be hugely affected if they skipped school, the crowds at WDW were minimal and the overall weather was great! Halloween wasnt quite the same, but how many kids can say they were Peter Pan and Captian Hook for Halloween while on A Disney Cruise in the Bahamas?? pirate: I wish you luck with your weather situation - Happy Sailing! :wave:

What is the weather like in the middle of oct. We are looking to do a 4 day on Oct 15th and of course i am a little worried about the weather and the waves. Should we go in Sept. Two thoughts hotter weather worse storms what to do, what to do.

We leave Sept 30th. Hoping to have great weather. Have sailed the end of Oct in the past had a hurricane with us. still had fun but nice weather would be great. :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter