Hurricane Sandy and East Coast - anyone preparing yet?

Winds from the North started at 2 pm. Right now gusting to 35, but overnight it's supposed to gust to 60! I'm a nervous wreck being home alone....I am praying that no trees fall on the house. :scared:
Well, it would have been worse if this happened next week, when we are traveling to TX for DD's wedding!:dance3:.

Some of our friends about 3 minutes away lost power over an 2 hrs ago... they must be on another grid.

Third tree down in my court already. Wind is crazy, making scary sounds around my house. Laundry done, dishes done, cake baked, ice, coolers, tons of water.
Lowest barometric pressure ever measured right now, according to The Weather Channel. :scared1:
ETA Just read where the GSP is closing from Exit 129 all the way down in both directions, changed from Exit 63 a few hours ago.

HippieChickadee said:
lmao... no too much on the internet makes me (literally) laugh out loud, but this did.

We have not had much going on here in upstate NY but here's my concern: LEAVES

Picture piles of leaves raked up from a whole neighborhood (piles 3 feet high) and the town didn't pick them up! (***!?)

So with the wind starting up, and only going to get worse, I'm worried about the leaves clogging up the gutters.

We've had flooding from minor rainstorms due to this. :scared1:

This is no joke!!! Lmao! I don't know why, but I saw at least 5 houses with their leaves raked but not bagged. It's getting windy up here in the Capitol region and it started to rain a bit now.

To what extent is Sandy supposed to affect the DC area? Thanks!

stay safe...

Im on north shore LI...we have flickered twice but still on...
Just had another :rotfl2:..
My sil in next town, but about 5 blocks away went out already ....just after she placed some banana bread in her oven to bake....she brought over all 8 loaves and baked them here..
It smells so good....and she left two for us..:rotfl:..YUMMY....

be safe all...................it is Mighty scary out there and it is intensifying...Id love to see the water/beach...and despite being close by ...we are not leaving the house ;)

Check the news12 website. They have a ton of pictures up there that people sent in.

I'm in South Jersey and Sandy is rolling in really good now. We still have power but don't know how long that will last. Landfall is supposed to be about 20 or 25 miles south of us within the next hour. Tremendous flooding on the barrier islands (Atlantic City, Brigantine, Margate, Ventnor, Longport, Ocean City.). Bay flooding and street flooding here on the mainland. Very gusty and rainy now. Sandy is moving faster now so hopefully she'll get inland quickly before high tide.

Power out and the trees are bending like I have never seen! Winds are picking up big time. Scary.

After a night and early morning of torrential rains and gusting winds, we hit a very long lull between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. of just off and on rain and no winds. Well it is now starting to pick up again and the winds are getting stronger. They just announced it is supposed to hit land here between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. Heard that Atlantic City lost some of the boardwalk already and many ocean towns are already under water and it hasn't even hit full force yet!

Still have power, but cable is having some transmitting issues. Our lights flickered twice but stayed on. Keeping our fingers crossed, but we have our lanterns and flashlights ready. Already received notices that my daughter's classes are cancelled again tomorrow and my DH and I got notice from our employers that they are closed tomorrow.

News says the worst is going to hit us inland by 8 p.m. and continue through tomorrow. They don't expect the winds and rain to even slow down until Wednesday morning! Just praying that the two tall trees on our street stay up, but as a precaution we are sleeping on the first floor tonight!

Winds have really picked up. Power still on and Verizon net and cable still good but our landline not working.

Winds have really picked up. Power still on and Verizon net and cable still good but our landline not working.

My daughter is in Bel Air and she just lost power. Landfall is imminent here in South Jersey. The storm is moving quicker now, so the winds and rains should abate sooner.

It's a miracle we still have power. These wind gusts are scary. :(

Stay safe, everyone!

Watching the coverage of the storm and thinking of all of you in the path of this monster!! Stay safe, my friends!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter