Hurricane Sandy and East Coast - anyone preparing yet?

NikitaZee

DIS Veteran
I've been watching this for a couple of days, now the forecasters pretty much agree that the East Coast will be impacted by this, maybe significantly impacted. I'm in Massachusetts - we were without power for 4 days last Halloween, lost all of the contents of our fridge, stayed in a hotel for 2 nights, big PITA!! I'm starting to clean house, stock up on non-perishables, etc - anyone else yet?

There's a hurricane coming? :rotfl:
I don't look at the weather past a couple days and right now I'm just hoping for good Saturday weather so I'm not wet and cold at the football game we are going to.

There's a hurricane coming? :rotfl:
I don't look at the weather past a couple days and right now I'm just hoping for good Saturday weather so I'm not wet and cold at the football game we are going to.

Not until Monday/Tuesday - somewhere along the mid-Atlantic or Northeast coast from what they say so far. Saturday you're good :thumbsup2

I am going to try to get water, batteries and some non-perishable food today.

I will get the house and yard cleaned up, charge all the electronics, get gas for the grill and gas up the cars over the weekend.

I have to say I have a bad feeling about this storm. Our state was devastated by tropical storm Irene, and we cannot sustain something like that again.

I am going to try to get water, batteries and some non-perishable food today.

I will get the house and yard cleaned up, charge all the electronics, get gas for the grill and gas up the cars over the weekend.

I have to say I have a bad feeling about this storm. Our state was devastated by tropical storm Irene, and we cannot sustain something like that again.

I'm with you. You got Irene and we Alfred :sad2: This year I procrastinated putting out the Halloween decorations and I could not understand why. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays and I always get the yard and porch ready early. And then I remembered how bad Alfred was and the mess I had 2 weeks later when we finally got out from under the snow and downed trees and lines. I decided to let it go this year and I am so glad now.

I have plenty pf paper products and canned food. I will just pick up more water and some milk, bread and sandwich meat. And snacks. Oh yeah.........wine. i will get plenty of wine :thumbsup2

I'm with you. You got Irene and we Alfred :sad2: This year I procrastinated putting out the Halloween decorations and I could not understand why. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays and I always get the yard and porch ready early. And then I remembered how bad Alfred was and the mess I had 2 weeks later when we finally got out from under the snow and downed trees and lines. I decided to let it go this year and I am so glad now.

I have plenty pf paper products and canned food. I will just pick up more water and some milk, bread and sandwich meat. And snacks. Oh yeah.........wine. i will get plenty of wine :thumbsup2

Ha, I was thinking that this morning after I dropped my kids off at school :rotfl: Mickeyboat I'm with you, I'm worried about this one too.

I booked a hotel for Monday night. Last year (when we lost power for 5 days) there wasn't a hotel room to be had in the county and we ended up staying in NYC. Great fun, but we would have preferred to be home so we could check on the house, etc.

I'm going to start bringing firewood in over the weekend. We've already put away all the patio furniture, etc.

Sunday I will turn all the thermostats way up so if we do lose power the house will stay warm for a bit.

Fill the tubs, fill the gas tanks, charge everything, do all the laundry. Fill freezer with tupperwares of water that can be moved to the fridge (as giant ice packs) if necessary. Stock up on healthy nonperishables.

We've been through this so many times my checklist is pretty comprehensive.

Good luck everyone!

I am going out today to pick up a few things that we can cook on the gas stove if we loose power. I'll also get bottled water, duralogs, batteries (although I think we still have tons from hurricane Irene).

We lost power for a couple of days during Irene and last year's October snowstorm - we were lucky because many others were out for a week or so.

Weather makes me nervous and each new story I read about this one makes it seem more ominous:scared1:.

ETA: Oh yes, doing laundry, getting ice, filling up the car, getting cash are also ones to add to my list!

Good idea about booking the hotel Janepod - we moved to 2 different ones last year (only booked night to night - by the end of the 1st day everything was booked up in our area). My only question is - how close/far away to book? Last storm, our town and the three surrounding towns were without power.

Yep...our local ABC station has been saying for 36 hrs now that the track could very well change. And, it did. So, yep, I'm heading out today to get some addtl things. Had to go to the store anyway, so will stock up on batteries and such. Water is good to have as well. Lots of nonperishables this time around.
Now, to worry about my dd who is off at college along the RI coast. Oh my!!!

Good idea about booking the hotel Janepod - we moved to 2 different ones last year (only booked night to night - by the end of the 1st day everything was booked up in our area). My only question is - how close/far away to book? Last storm, our town and the three surrounding towns were without power.

I booked a local Hilton Garden Inn that I know has a generator. (Norwalk, CT.) It's about 15-20 mins from us. I guess you can call and ask who has backup power? Good luck!

Last year we had a Halloween snowstorm, and now this year a hurricane? :scared1:

I will ask this here since there seems to be a few locals chiming in. My flight leaves tomorrow at 8am from Philly to Orlando. We should be landing in Orlando around 10:30am tomorrow morning. That seems like the worst time to fly in right now. Would we be better off pushing the flight up to tonight or pushing it back to Sunday or Monday?

I will ask this here since there seems to be a few locals chiming in. My flight leaves tomorrow at 8am from Philly to Orlando. We should be landing in Orlando around 10:30am tomorrow morning. That seems like the worst time to fly in right now. Would we be better off pushing the flight up to tonight or pushing it back to Sunday or Monday?
I wouldn't change anything. You should not have a problem

It's windy and rainy in SoFla today. Schools in my county are doing a 3 hour early release today and tomorrow we don't have school. Nice day off for me!

We will probably charge up the phones tonight but don't expect much damage or power loss. HOPEFULLY!

Hope everyone stays safe!

Tough one. I am in CT and was talking to a friend this morning. Her husband is in Miami right now on business and says it's really bad there, and for her to start preparing for a tough few days come Sunday night/Monday. He's trying to fly out today so he can get home before the storm gets bad.

I guess if I were you I would try to go tonight. See what your airline says.

I am west of Philly so more inland but I still think I will run out tomorrow and get more stuff. I would rather do it tomorrow than on Sat when all the people will be out.

I do know that when I get prepared we get nothing...so I am hoping for that!

Last year we had a Halloween snowstorm, and now this year a hurricane? :scared1:

DS and I were at Disney last year over Halloween and I remember people talking in the food court about how they couldn't get home, so they were "forced" to stay at disney for a couple extra days.

They didn't seem too sad about it, honestly. :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter