Hurricane Irma VB & HHI?

NancyDVC

DIS Veteran
Just heard about evacuations in Savannah, GA. Any word about evacuations on Hilton Head? Vero Beach?
Both VB and HHI had serious storm damage in the past.
My sister is at SSR leaving tonight. (Just a short trip for her. She planned to leave tonight not due to the storm.)
Stay safe

No evacuation orders yet for Indian River County FL (Vero Beach) or Beaufort County SC (Hilton Head Island).

Thanks. Just concerned about possible guests as well as CMs. When I heard the evacuation order for Savannah it made me think about HHI which is not very far north and also very prone to flooding.

We were just talking about how much our dues could go up if our resorts at WDW were damaged. Can't imagine owning at Aulani, HH or VB.

:earsboy: Bill

Several of the models make it look like HHI could get crushed. Wish Irma would bounce back out to the Atlantic.

Edited to add: just looked and VB looks to get hammered as well. Some posters have tried to assure me that owning VB isn't *that* risky in terms of potential storm damage but Irma may change those risk calculations.

Last edited:
Brevard County just north of Indian River County has mandatory evacs order of all costal island residents.

Looks like both VB and HHI will get hit to some level. Owners there can expect another hit on the dues. Here's hoping the weather gurus are way off on the track.

Yes it looks as if all of Florida is going to take a hit. If Wdw takes a big hit our dues are going to skyrocket!
I am praying for everyone that the weatherman as usual are wrong and it veers off to sea!!
Stay safe all in her path
Kerri

UPDATE: VB is closing tomorrow, Friday at 2 PM. Haven't heard anything about HHI. Stay safe!

Mandatory evacuation for the barrier island has been issued to start at 8:00 am on Saturday. I'm sure VB wants to move everyone out so they can make final preparations.

Barrier islands in Indian River county have to evacuate starting tomorrow. This includes the Disney resort in Vero. 95 and the turnpike are packed. If anyone evacuates from Disney and can't get out, there are many shelters in the area.

5 AM course has Irma middle line going directly over WDW on Sunday.
Be Safe.

Yes it looks as if all of Florida is going to take a hit. If Wdw takes a big hit our dues are going to skyrocket!

Skyrocket? Probably not. Disney has insurance on all of the DVC properties.

When Matthew hit Hilton Head, there was a $750K deductible to be paid. Disney opted to spread it over 5 years at a charge of eleven cents per point, per year. Higher insurance premiums may add a bit more down the road, but they didn't increase noticeably for 2017. Insurance for HHI is currently $.1063 per point. Most WDW resorts are well under that figure.

I am seriously re-considering purchasing in at Hilton Head in the future now. The dues are high as it is, and this could happen more in the future.

Didn't HHI take a pretty direct hit from Matthew? We went there in April of this year and when we were talking with our fishing guide, we asked specifically about the Disney resort. He told us that the specific area where the resort is located is called "Shelter Cove" for a reason. Apparently, it is fairly protected from the weather systems that hit the island. I don't think it's been tested by a Cat 4/5, but it still surprised me that the area immediately around the resort came out almost unscathed after Matthew.

We own at HHI and the potential for hurricane damage did not factor in to our purchase decision. We'd actually like to buy more points there since we are starting to get a little bored with the Disney parks.

Yes the resort took quite a hit from Matthew. When we were there about 6 weeks after Matthew, the CMs were nice enough to let me see their photos of the resort's devastation

We just got back from HHI. The resort was looking great but it was clear a lot of the grounds had been redone since Matthew. CMs said that there were fish in the main pool after Matthew since there was so much water. We had two days of 30-40 mph winds last week and it was scary. I can't image staying there during a hurricane. I am glad to see that they are shutting down the resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter