Hurricane Dorian / WDW Theme Parks Discussion

We're supposed to fly in to Orlando on Monday morning - right when the storm is supposed to make landfall, and are only staying until Saturday. We'd just like to cancel because we don't have an easy time to reschedule, but we are waiting to see if any hurricane warnings are issued for the Orlando area before contacting Disney. We may just have to try and reschedule and hope we can navigate schedules when the time comes.

Like a lot of other people, it is SUPER frustrating. It's a lot of money at stake and you don't want to make a bad decision. I don't want to spend all this money to sit in a hotel room, or be evacuated to somewhere else, and not even get the vacation I planned. Right now, it looks like this thing could slow over Florida and could dump rain all week long, basically making for a pretty awful time. I feel for everybody else trying to make these decisions also, and it's nice to know we're not alone! :-)

Can I ask the Floridians a question concerning this situation?

I have a single daughter that is living in an apartment in Tampa for her first experience with this approaching weather. I have a reservation to fly into Tampa on Wed. and then she and I were going to spend a long weekend in the parks. I'm not really worried about this, at this time.

My question and concern is, should I change my flight to tomorrow and help her prepare and ride out any adverse weather? She's 30. I'm 60+. She is off from work on tomorrow and Saturday and won't know if she is required to work again before Wednesday, till weather reports get closer.

I'm really anxious about what to do and would really like some advice from people living in the state. We do have a hotel booked in case she loses power at her apartment.

I'd fly down early in a heartbeat. But that's me. My daughter insisted on getting married just before Christmas and took off on a honeymoon to Mexico, returning Christmas Eve. We got hit by a freak snowstorm starting Christmas Eve morning. She made it as far as Dallas before they cancelled her flight home. She was beside herself and so was I. She found a flight that took her to some out of the way town in Arkansas and I made and 8hr drive that would normally take 4, in a snow/ice storm to pick them. On our way back, the freeway just got too bad to drive and we had to pull off at a roadside hotel. Spent the night there and Christmas Day before we could drive home. I'd do it again. :) Not sure my advice is the best, but I know I wouldn't be able to take the worry.

I've lived on the coast before, moved more inland, but I always went home to family that lived on the coast whenever there was a threat of hurricane.

We're supposed to fly in to Orlando on Monday morning - right when the storm is supposed to make landfall, and are only staying until Saturday. We'd just like to cancel because we don't have an easy time to reschedule, but we are waiting to see if any hurricane warnings are issued for the Orlando area before contacting Disney. We may just have to try and reschedule and hope we can navigate schedules when the time comes.

Like a lot of other people, it is SUPER frustrating. It's a lot of money at stake and you don't want to make a bad decision. I don't want to spend all this money to sit in a hotel room, or be evacuated to somewhere else, and not even get the vacation I planned. Right now, it looks like this thing could slow over Florida and could dump rain all week long, basically making for a pretty awful time. I feel for everybody else trying to make these decisions also, and it's nice to know we're not alone! :-)

I totally agree with you about the money and the vacation you planned and want. I would not want to spend all that money to have less time in the parks if that's what my trip was about. Yes, that is the thought of it slowing over Florida and could dump a lot of rain. It depends on how you feel if rain is the only thing you have to worry about. I do not like to do the parks in the rain.

It is a hard decision, it really comes down to what is good for you and what would make you happier and have a good time.

Good luck

Reactions: RBZ
We were there in 1999 for Hurricane Floyd. The first time Disney ever closed. We kept receiving notices under the door to our room keeping us posted on the track, telling us how to prepare for Floyd as he was coming inland and to fill the tub with water (I actually still have all those letters!). They closed the parks early on the 4th and preemptively shut the parks down fort he 5th in preparation for Floyd. At this point, many people from the coast evacuated inland and stayed at the Disney hotels which caused quite the crowds at the food courts. My DH went and waited in line at the food court to get dinner for us... he waited 2 hours in line just to place an order for Pizza which he then had to go back in an hour to pick up! I have to say, Disney was great though, all food was 50% off normal prices at this time. I unfortunately came down with a cold at this time and while DH was up at the main building getting us dinner, he stopped by the store to get some cold medicine for me. Unfortunately, they had closed the store at the hotel early as well, so no cold medicine was in my future that night.... and a long night it was... not because of Floyd, but because I couldn't breathe! When daylight came on the 5th, we expected to see a lot of debris and tree branches and such down over the hotel grounds... but no such issue. You see, Floyd, during the night decided he wasn't going to take the path predicted for him and turned and headed north skirting the coast line. Disney did their best trying to get cast members in so they could open some of the parks up, which they were successful in. DH first stop was the store for cold medicine and his next stop was Animal Kingdom when it opened up and he got me the sticker I need for my "passport book". This was our first trip to Disney and we LOVED it... we have been back many times since, mainly in September. I could go on and tell you my story of getting married at Disney during one of the busier hurricane seasons, Sept 2004.. but that story is for another time. The point to my story is, even at the last minute these storms can change their mind and some do. Although in the past 20 years we have gotten better at predicting the future path, they can still shift direction unexpectedly. I hope everyone going during this time still has a magical trip and things work out for everyone traveling!!!! PS... We are heading back down Sept 13-21!!!!!

I haven't said much today, because I am having my usual Katrina anxiety and I don't want to be accused of being dramatic.

My dear friend from Chalmette currently lives in Delray Beach and I am worried sick about him right now.
Sorry about your friend. Is that in the forecasted path? I’m not sure where that is.

On Katrina day no less. Anyone who went through Katrina would never accuse you of being dramatic. I know a lot of us are anxious here too. We are all watching it closely. It’s all very reminiscent of Katrina for me...it’s going to fl & ppl stop watching it as closely & then you wake up & you need to evacuate!

I say go. My daughter is 31 and I am 60+ as well. She will be a bit scared and you will be worried if you don't go. I would go. In 2014 here in Michigan, we had a horrible flood (declared an emergency and FEMA was here), and my mom was visiting from Arizona. Even though she was 81, it was a comfort to have her here. I was in WDW in 2004 for Charley with my daughter and her friend, and it was pretty scary. As a mom, you can't go wrong showing up for moral and emotional support, and even if she doesn't admit it, your daughter will be glad you came. (note: Stay at disney if you need to and can get a room,. Great place to be in a Hurricane)

Thanks for saying this. My daughter has been in Tampa less than a year. She only knows her co-workers a little bit. I know she will be grateful I'm there if things get scary. If they don't, we will have fun and we will still get our Disney days, in parks that maybe lightly attended.

I got my flight changed to leave in the morning! I'll be in Tampa tomorrow before lunch. Thanks to you and to everyone that helped me feel better about what I really wanted to do. Now, I'm off to pack!

You do realize that Katrina made landfall as a 3? It was bigger and hopefully slower but still wind speed had it at a 3.

There can be extreme damage inland from a storm that strong.

I don't mean that harshly, just that sometimes people don't realize that you don't have to be on the coastline to have extreme damage.
I guess I thought Orlando was equivalent to Baton Rouge proximity to the coast. For Katrina, parts of BR had some damage but no widespread devastation & was up a week or sooner in most areas. NOLA issue was storm surge & levees breaking. So if we would have mostly been ok a week later if it weren’t for that.

I'd fly down early in a heartbeat. But that's me. My daughter insisted on getting married just before Christmas and took off on a honeymoon to Mexico, returning Christmas Eve. We got hit by a freak snowstorm starting Christmas Eve morning. She made it as far as Dallas before they cancelled her flight home. She was beside herself and so was I. She found a flight that took her to some out of the way town in Arkansas and I made and 8hr drive that would normally take 4, in a snow/ice storm to pick them. On our way back, the freeway just got too bad to drive and we had to pull off at a roadside hotel. Spent the night there and Christmas Day before we could drive home. I'd do it again. :) Not sure my advice is the best, but I know I wouldn't be able to take the worry.

I've lived on the coast before, moved more inland, but I always went home to family that lived on the coast whenever there was a threat of hurricane.

I can't just "like" your post because that was not fun, at all, but I love what you did for your daughter and her new husband.

I've decided to go and it's posts like yours that helped me make the decision. I appreciate it!

Have said for the past ten years how I would love to live in Florida, not in Orlando, but maybe right across the line. I am really now rethinking that as I know I just couldn't handle this stuff. I really couldn't. I guess if your used to it, it might be easier for you, but this has really got me to thinking I am good in NW Georgia.
I know it sounds weird, but its just second nature. What gets me is the after the storm. That is what always makes me want to leave, not the storm itself.

I flew into Orlando a month or two after a major hurricane, may have been Floyd. I was shocked at the amount of damage as we were landing, trees broken in half, many homes with tarps on their roofs, shingles were blown off of Boardwalk's roof.

We were at WDW when hurricane Jeanne hit. I believe it was a
Cat 3 when it hit. We were at Fort Wilderness in our RV with 4 kids under 9. Disney moved us to All Star Music and two rooms! Way more than what our campsite cost!

The storm hit that night and you could hear it against the window. But, the rooms are built hurricane tough. The next day it just rained and rained. We went a got pizza and sat in our room watching cartoons!

The next day the parks were open. There were trees down in areas but otherwise everything was ok. It sure cleared out the parks! We had a nice time.

Everything turned out great but I would also say, you never know either! Very difficult decision but Disney does try to go above and beyond (at least when we went through it).

I know it sounds weird, but its just second nature. What gets me is the after the storm. That is what always makes me want to leave, not the storm itself.

Agree, after the storm is awful. Waiting for the hurricane is kind of pain too especially when they slow down but after is a pain. No power, it's hot, dealing with damage and insurance. It's not fun. Thankfully our hurricane damages over the years have been covered by insurance and we were able to remain in our home but it's never fun. My heart always hurts for those that have lost everything. I was in S Florida when Andrew hit and that was awful. Have family that lost their homes.

You do realize that Katrina made landfall as a 3? It was bigger and hopefully slower but still wind speed had it at a 3.

The size and strength of Katrina isn't what made it so devastating. The fact the levies that were holding back an entire ocean from a city that UNDER sea level broke is what was so devastating.

One thing Florida has going for it during storms that a lot of other places do not is that it is flat as a pancake. That means we don't flood like a lot of places do. Yes there is storm surge but that really only effects the coast line. Inland can flood, but not that covers your whole house while you wait for helicopters on the roof kind of flooding.

What gets me is the after the storm. That is what always makes me want to leave, not the storm itself.

So true.

Preparing for the STORM really just involves being in a safe structure and having some sort of communication. You really need to prepare for after. When Publix is closed, the power is off, street lights don't work, first responders are beyond swamped so can't help, and everyone is on edge. Those first few days really suck!!

I can't just "like" your post because that was not fun, at all, but I love what you did for your daughter and her new husband.

I've decided to go and it's posts like yours that helped me make the decision. I appreciate it!

Best of luck to you! I'm sure she'll feel much better with you there and you will too!

We too have tickets for Monday night's MNSSHP. If anyone has any luck getting a refund on the tickets because of Dorian, it would be great if you could post your experience here. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter