HS Question: to skip or not to skip

puck292

Earning My Ears
Heading down from Buffalo May 16th with wife and 17, and 20 year old. Seems like there are a lot of closures and construction in Hollywood studios. Kids are no longer into the shows. We are staying on site (GF) but are not park hoppers. Seems a waste to spend a whole day for star tours, rock and rollercoaster and TZTT. With the monorail and the kids sentimentality we always do two days at MK, and then one day at each other park. Thinking of doubling up on epcot bc we have the monorail and we enjoy the restaurants. Am I making a mistake by skipping a park (which we never do)? Help!

Honestly I would skip it if you don't have park hoppers. We are not going again until next December so I will probably go to see the new toy story area and my kids (teens) do enjoy the few rides they have there but we don't like the shows anymore there either. We are taking a teen along on our next trip who has never been to Disney so for his sake I want to do the park but if not for that fact I would have strongly considered skipping it as well.

Heading down from Buffalo May 16th with wife and 17, and 20 year old. Seems like there are a lot of closures and construction in Hollywood studios. Kids are no longer into the shows. We are staying on site (GF) but are not park hoppers. Seems a waste to spend a whole day for star tours, rock and rollercoaster and TZTT. With the monorail and the kids sentimentality we always do two days at MK, and then one day at each other park. Thinking of doubling up on epcot bc we have the monorail and we enjoy the restaurants. Am I making a mistake by skipping a park (which we never do)? Help!

You could combine it with a resort/rest day. Spend the morning, early afternoon at the pool, then head to HS for the rides you enjoy and F! or Star Wars Spectacular.

Agreed with pp, if you don't have parkhoppers and the only thing you are interested in at HS are those three rides, then skip it.

Yes, I think you're making a mistake. If you said you always went before, the only "ride" that has closed recently is GMRR. The other things that disappeared were never really used much anyway. If you don't like the rides that are still there, then don't go. But I'd go just for RnR, Star Tours, TSMM, ToT...even if I didn't like the shows (which I do).

I say skip. I was there in February and it was barely a half day park and we did EVERYTHING! It's really kind of depressing there right now, no great movie ride anymore, half the park is a construction site and really I do think when it reopens with Toy Story and Star Wars, it's gonna be back to greatness....until then, I'd pass it up. If you haven't seen AK since Pandora, spend your extra time there. Def worth it.

The Star Wars fireworks is pretty spectacular :) But I think it's better if you are a Star Wars fan. I brought a newbie last September (single lady in her late 30s). I ended up being very surprised. She really didn't care for Epcot - it was just OK for her. She adored Animal Kingdom (loves animals and wanted to hunt down every last animal we could find) and really loved DHS (huge Star Wars fan so she was starstruck at the stage show, Launch Bay, etc etc). And found MK magical.

I am in the camp who still thinks it's a good park and in reality hasn't "lost" that much, but if you are just not into the shows, than I can see where it wouldn't be worth it. Then again, ToT alone is enough to always be worth it for me! :) Hey, it's not like HS is going anywhere. You can always hit it once all the new stuff opens up.

Speaking of which, May 16th is probably a tad early, but it could be close to the Toy Story Land opening. Officially, all they have said is "Summer 2018" so I'd think it'll be later, but it's something to keep an eye on. Of course, if it's around the grand opening you might want to avoid anyway just because of the crowds!

Last edited:
It's a can't miss park still for me but I could just watch the march of the First Order over and over again. Plus TOT and TSMM are must do for me. I also don't really miss anything they took away.

We love DHS and the more that think its a half park and don't want to waste time there, the better for us. LOL.

I DO miss GMR. I really enjoyed that. I would ride Backlot Tour every trip, but it never wowed me. I would go to LMR, but I really prefer Indiana Jones. I went to American Idol, but I actually prefer the new Frozen show.

However, RNRC, TOT, TSMM, Star Tours, Muppets, Indiana Jones, VOLM, BATB, Frozen, One Mans Dream, Fantasmic make for a full day. Not to mention several really good restaurants. Now I didn't list EVERY attraction in HS, just the ones I personally enjoy. There are others that I am sure some people like. Now if you don't care for some of those attractions, depending on how many you want to skip, it could really cut into the time you need for the park, but it certainly CAN occupy a full day.

We did almost two days at DHS last trip. My kids were 15 and 9 and it's easily their favorite park. We rode RnRC and ToT over and over. We were the last ride on ToT one night and the CM's were really in character. We ride TSM a few times. We do the shows also. Not all but some. I wouldn't skip it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter