HRH threatened to throw us out

Synonymous

I know all about it, see?
I've gotta share this outrageous story of what happened to us in our first-ever stay at a Universal Resort:

It began as a simple misunderstanding, which could happen to anyone, but then went down the rabbit-hole.

We arrived at the hotel at about 11:30 a.m. and were told that our room was not ready. We went to Islands of Adventure and later that afternoon a message was left on my cell phone telling me that we were assigned room 4139. We returned to the hotel and went to the room. My key card opened the lock. We called down to bell services to have our bags brought up and the person answering addressed me by name, I assume identifying me by the room number in the computer system. The bags were brought up and we unpacked. As my wife was showering, our room door opened and another family started to walk in. I spoke to them and they showed me that they had been assigned the same room.

Again, such misunderstandings are excusable. Annoying, of course, but understandable. I called down to the front desk to ask if I needed to have new keycards made up for security. Unfortunately, I did not write down the name of the person who answered the phone. She was a woman who identified herself as a supervisor. I explained the situation and asked if I needed to have new key cards issued. She told me that I was not assigned to room 4139 and told me that my family would have to leave. I explained that this was the room number given to me, that my key worked, and I considered it to be my room. She insisted. I told her there was no way we were packing up and moving to a new room and she threatened to have security come and throw us out.

At this point I could not believe this was happening to me. My family has stayed at many fine hotels, and several not-so-fine hotels, and never have I heard anything so outrageous from the staff. We are used to staying at Disney resorts when we are in Orlando and are used to the staff going out of their way to make our stay pleasant and enjoyable. Yet here I was, being treated like a criminal because the staff made a mistake.

After bolting the door to guard against security bursting in to drag me off, I told this woman I wanted to speak to her supervisor. She responded with incredulity, "You want to talk to my supervisor???" I was put on hold for about 10 minutes, which I spent pacing the room, my stomach in a knot, until finally someone who identified himself as Sam picked up and apologized. He said he would bring my new key cards up himself. Another 15 minutes later he came to the door, apologized for the inconvenience, and gave me new cards. He also gave me coupons for free breakfast.

I'm sure you can imagine that this incident did not leave us with a good opinion of the hotel. It took another hour for my stomach to settle back down. My wife and I couldn't wait to get out of HRH and get to Disney, where we knew such a thing could never happen.

While we enjoyed the Universal parks and would like to visit them again, we certainly will not be staying at the Hard Rock Hotel.

Wow! Crazy isn't it? - See, this is what scares me. I'm scared that all this is going to happen to me with my stay. Also, I believe that the Loews/Hard Rock Hotel staff needs to know that this is happening, i mean - we are paying good money to stay at their resorts when we could be paying less somewhere else. I mean, we were staying at the Fairfield Inn & Suites - Universal and then we changed our stay over to Hard Rock Hotel because we've always wanted to stay at one. I believe, and always have that it depends on who your customer service person is, and there shouldn't have been a problem just change the other peoples keys, sorry - it happesn to the best of us.

I am sorry to hear you had such a bad experience at HRH, but I must say I am not surprised. I don't remember all the frustrating details of our stay, which was several years ago, but I can tell you this, I remember it as an unpleasant experience. I just remember that they assigned us rooms where people were already in the room and when we tried to get relocated, it was a mess. No one seemed to know what they were doing. I know that Royal Pacific is also run by Lowes but we when we stayed there last year it was a much nicer experience. You were treated very rudly and deserve alot more than a free breakfast, I would write a letter to Lowes and name names. :headache:

I am sorry to hear you had such a crummy experience at HRH. I have read so many nasty things about HRH that I am hesitant to stay there. We are always treated like VIPs at RPR and I just can't imagine being treated like you were in that calibur of a hotel. I have spent some time at the HRH pool and I can tell a big difference in the attitudes of the staff there compared to the staff at RPR. Some employees we have encountered there have a "too cool" kind of attitude and act like you are bothering them.

I also encourage you to write a letter to Loews. They need to know people are being treated poorly in their hotel. I try to write letters praising good service, and I most definitely would write a letter relating the bad customer service experience you had.

Here are some contacts for Loews;

Corporate Public Relations
  • Ms Emily Goldfischer
    V.P. of Public Relations
    Loews Hotels
    667 Madison Avenue, 6th Flr.
    New York, NY 10021
    Phone: 212.521.2833
    Fax: 212.521.2379
    E-mail: egoldfischer@loewshotels.com
Orlando Public Relations
  • Hard Rock Hotel
    Eik Moesgaard
    Manager of Publicity and Promotions
    Hard Rock Hotel at Universal Orlando
    5800 Universal Blvd.
    Orlando, FL 31819
    Phone: 407.503.2180
    E-mail: emoesgaard@loewshotels.com
  • Portofino Bay Hotel
    Jennifer Hodges
    Director of Public Relations
    Loews Hotels at Universal Orlando
    5601 Universal Blvd.
    Orlando, FL 31819
    Phone: 407.503.3009
    E-mail: jhodges@loewshotels.com
  • Royal Pacific Resort
    Jennifer Hodges
    Director of Public Relations
    Loews Hotels at Universal Orlando
    6300 Hollywood Way
    Orlando, FL 31819
    Phone: 407.503.3009
    E-mail: jhodges@loewshotels.com

Sorry to hear about this. We have stayed at Hard Rock and RPR many times and have never encountered any problems. In fact, we have found that staff to be extremely warm and accommodating.

Synonymous,

I wrote a little e-mail to Loews about this, just showing them your post, etc. and they would like to talk to you, if you would e-mail me at aaronmyers@bellsouth.net and I will give you the e-mail address of the person I talked with.

Synonymous,

I am shocked to hear that something like this happened at HRH. The best person to address your complaints to is Mark Shouger. Mark is the rooms division director and would be the one to contact you after Loews reports the problem to the hotel. His email is mshouger@loewshotels.com. If you want you can go straight to the top and contact the GM, Lou Carrier. His email is lcarreir@loewshotels.com.

Sorry to hear about it.
More proof their computer system is messed up.

My wife called today to make sure our reservation for the 15th of June is still valid, it is. But I have a feeling we'll arrive and it will be magically cancelled.

On suggestion cards, or if someone asks what we think of the place, I think we all need to tell them they need a new reservation system.

RxGuy,

Yes - Mark e-mailed me and told me that he would like to strighten things out with Synonymous

Thanks, folks. Aaron was kind enough to forward to me his e-mail response from Mr. Shouger, and I sent an e-mail to him. Before I posted here, I also sent an e-mail in response to HRH's e-mail saying they'd like to hear about staff who did an exceptionally good job. I don't know if anyone there ever saw that one or not.

I'll let you know what they have to say.

Yeah, it was a form letter, saying "thanks for staying, we'd love to hear about staff members who did a really good job." They didn't give any address for a response, so I just replied to it. They probably don't read the replies.

I believe they do read their e-mails because read the below e-mail:

Mr. Smith actually just sent the same letter to our customer service email and I will respond directly to him.

Mark Shouger
Rooms Division Director
Hard Rock Hotel
407 503 2150
mshouger@loewshotels.com

I've received the e-mail after my vacation. I sent one back saying I didn't like the green bedspreads as much as the duvets and they sent me back a personal response about it.

Originally posted by damo
I've received the e-mail after my vacation. I sent one back saying I didn't like the green bedspreads as much as the duvets and they sent me back a personal response about it.

What was the response? :)

:wave:

We stayed once at the HRH and NEVER again (we had to stay there because all other hotels wer booked). While we did not experience anything like the original poster did, we did find the staff on the "should not be working here" side. I don't remember his name, it was 2 years ago. We handed over our AmeX plat corporate card, and started to ask questions about our business, what it is, what we do - which sometimes happens. Then he started making comments about money and how wealthy he is, and his grandfather in a nursing home and blah blah blah. He could not work the computer and could not check us in...we were at the counter over 1/2 hour because he was completely retarted. Half way thru this a manager came over and had to try to figure out what this idiot did. He was still rambling on about how much money he has (this is a young 20 ish moron). I think the manager took it all in and I think he was shortly fired. Gee I hope he really did have money.

The next day my husband got really really sick from eating seared tuna in the restaurant which is now called The Kitchen,I forgot the old name. He was in bed for about 2 days.

The only good thing about the HRH is The Palm restaurant.

We will never stay there again......we love the Portofino. The staff is completely different. The first time we stayed in the PBH we got this completely gross room...it smelled like dog and there were cigarette burns everywhere. We went down to the desk and asked for the manager, and very nicely complained. We were given a new room -- a king suite room with and the added tv room with couch a bar, large TV and bathroom. That was very nice of him to do that as we were just expecting a new room.

Basically they said that they appreciated my input and that the bedspreads were easier to maintain instead of the white duvet covers. That's pretty much what I figured.

Well, I received a response, posted below. I'm less than impressed.

Mr. Smith,

Thank you for your detailed follow up regarding your stay at Hard Rock
Hotel. We have, in fact, received this from the website operator where
you'd initially sent it to and now in response to our email.

My apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. I assure you that
this is atypical of the service which we provide, and typical response
toward resolutions of issues.

In researching, over the past couple of days, it appears that the initial
confusion stemmed from us having two guests with the name of Thomas Smith
in house over the same dates. Again, our response, recovery and attitude
presented is not acceptable and corrective actions have been taken with the
individuals involved.

Should you reconsider staying with us at hard Rock Hotel, or if you will be
visiting our sister properties-- Portofino Bay Hotel or Royal Pacific
Resort, please use me as a personal contact so that I may handle
arrangements and ensure the finest accommodations.

We do appreciate your business and candor, and again I offer my apologies
to you and your family.

Best Regards,

Lou Carrier

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter