How's the partial federal government shutdown affecting you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
Not getting into the politics of the situation, but how is the federal government shutdown personally affecting DIS'ers? I know there was one topic started on a specific question, but I'm wondering in general how this is working out. I guess some may be federal government employees, while for others it may be affecting vacation plans when many are taking vacations to national parks or other federal land.

For instance, the Smithsonian (which is federally funded but somewhat independent) says their museums and the National Zoo will remain open until the beginning of the year, unless there's a budget passed by then.

https://www.si.edu
While the U.S. federal government is partially closed, our museums, research centers, and the National Zoo will be OPEN through Jan. 1. If the partial shutdown continues beyond Jan. 1, all Smithsonian museums, research centers, and the National Zoo will be closed starting Jan. 2.​

Dd works for a contractor at a federal site. She and some of the other employees will not be working as of Monday. She was able to work last week because someone that wasn’t furloughed/laid off was off. She and the others not working keep their benefits, will be called if someone calls in and will be paid for NYD as it is a federal holiday. They will not receive back pay.

It’s really funny though. The only people working at that site now are military, a few in her office and a few armed security. No one else. Every other person has been furloughed. So there is no one coming on site that isn’t there every other day. There is zero reason for anyone to be needed in their office. But three of them will continue to work.

It’s really funny though. The only people working at that site now are military, a few in her office and a few armed security. No one else. Every other person has been furloughed. So there is no one coming on site that isn’t there every other day. There is zero reason for anyone to be needed in their office. But three of them will continue to work.

Not a federal worksite, but I had a short term job working as a contractor for a large electronics company, and the term ran through Christmas and New Year's where the place was like a ghost town. I did take single-day holidays off, even without getting paid. I didn't want to go without pay for a whole week and came in between Christmas and New Years. The manager gave me a few tasks to do, but for the most part I was just rechecking my old work and sitting around. He could have told me not to come in, but he realized I would have been unpaid for those 4 days (other than what I was already planning on taking off).

the only real effect we've seen is the news blasts about how the local national wildlife refuge is effected-visitor's center closed, bathrooms locked, roads not plowed. they've also cancelled 'eagle watch week' in coeur d'alene. in both cases it may be disappointing to some but it's in no way any essential services at this point.

i feel for the employees impacted-i remember going through it on a fairly regular basis working for the government. only in my case i worked for a county and depending on my job classification at the time i was funded by either county, state or federal funds-or a combination of 2 or all 3 so while i was lucky and never dealt w/the impact of a federal shutdown there were times w/the county and esp. the good old state of california that budgets were not timely done (i did'nt qualify for overtime pay but i knew plenty of california state employees who always banked all their ot as emergency money for the inevitable voucher paychecks).

I live on a National Park. We actually got permission from the park service so we could put a gate on our back fence to get into the National Park. The main parking lot and museum/visitor center is closed because of the shut down. However, we can still hike the trails in the park as there is really no way to shut those off. But of course there are no rangers, etc.

Other than observing that, nothing else so far.

I live on a National Park. We actually got permission from the park service so we could put a gate on our back fence to get into the National Park. The main parking lot and museum/visitor center is closed because of the shut down. However, we can still hike the trails in the park as there is really no way to shut those off. But of course there are no rangers, etc.

Other than observing that, nothing else so far.

Yeah. There is of course private property (inholdings) that the federal government never acquired. I know in California there are plenty of these, like Foresta and Wawona in Yosemite. There's this small community called Yosemite West that is right outside of Yosemite NP, but the only road there goes through the park. Residents always get free access to the park, but short term renters still have to pay an entrance fee.

Sounds like your property abuts federal land?

I'm an affected federal employee sitting at home right now. I was paid on Dec. 28th for the 2 weeks prior, and my agency had enough payroll dollars to pay us the week of Dec. 24-31st so we're set to get a partial paycheck on Jan 15th. But in-between that and until we're back at work I'm not getting paid.

Fun times.

Yeah. There is of course private property (inholdings) that the federal government never acquired. I know in California there are plenty of these, like Foresta and Wawona in Yosemite. There's this small community called Yosemite West that is right outside of Yosemite NP, but the only road there goes through the park. Residents always get free access to the park, but short term renters still have to pay an entrance fee.

Sounds like your property abuts federal land?

Yes it does. We are not inholdings that you speak of above, we just border the National Park.

Not a federal worksite, but I had a short term job working as a contractor for a large electronics company, and the term ran through Christmas and New Year's where the place was like a ghost town. I did take single-day holidays off, even without getting paid. I didn't want to go without pay for a whole week and came in between Christmas and New Years. The manager gave me a few tasks to do, but for the most part I was just rechecking my old work and sitting around. He could have told me not to come in, but he realized I would have been unpaid for those 4 days (other than what I was already planning on taking off).

I work at a college and we used to have times like that. I mean no new work coming in, no students, very little faculty. We sat around and visited. Deep cleaned our offices or played on the Internet. They finally realized we didn’t need to be there and changed our schedules. We get paid for it though.

Honestly if the shut down continues, they could have made 4 of the women part time, each getting 20 hours a week at least, the others have specific jobs and are required to be on site. (Don’t have anything to do but still required). They are sitting and reading and watching movies. There is nothing else to do. And it will stay that way until the shut down is over.

Dd is starting another job Wednesday and the guy told her they would let work as many hours as she wants and if she gets called in to her other job, just to let him know. So she won’t lose the job at the federal site while trying to work at this other job. She is very fortunate.

I work at a college and we used to have times like that. I mean no new work coming in, no students, very little faculty. We sat around and visited. Deep cleaned our offices or played on the Internet. They finally realized we didn’t need to be there and changed our schedules. We get paid for it though.

Honestly if the shut down continues, they could have made 4 of the women part time, each getting 20 hours a week at least, the others have specific jobs and are required to be on site. (Don’t have anything to do but still required). They are sitting and reading and watching movies. There is nothing else to do. And it will stay that way until the shut down is over.

Dd is starting another job Wednesday and the guy told her they would let work as many hours as she wants and if she gets called in to her other job, just to let him know. So she won’t lose the job at the federal site while trying to work at this other job. She is very fortunate.

Yeah - in many of my permanent jobs there are lulls where I do some reading but otherwise there isn't much to do until there's a new specified job to do. Still doesn't compare to what I've heard from coworkers visiting offices in Japan. They would work hard for the designated work day, but there's an unwritten rule that employees should arrive before their managers and wait until the managers leave before going home. One coworker (who was there to debug a product and as such worked a long day) remarked that they'd sit around drinking tea, reading newspapers, or checking the internet after hours while waiting for the manager to leave. The real irony is often the manager didn't want to go home and would be doing the same thing, thus holding his employees there via the tradition.

For my contract role there were periods where it was difficult to do any work because I really needed regular coordination with my primary contact who took two weeks vacation. And it got really odd in that case because we all found out that my primary contact returned to a different division in the company and didn't tell anyone until an email on the first day back. During my last I remember talking to another contractor who had a lot more experience in contracting. He said there are reasons companies hire contractors even though they overall cost more: 1) they need short-term expertise they don't have, 2) they need the help and there's a hiring freeze, or 3) they need someone to eventually blame.

I've been contacted over the years when I was looking for a job. Several types of contracting roles were proposed. Some were the hourly contingent workforce similar to my previous contracting role. A few were like that, but where there were benefits and vacation time to make up for a lower salary. Other positions would have made me a salaried worker for the contracting agency.

I would like to get a jump on my federal taxes, but the schedules aren't done (some just have lines that say ...reserved...instead of what they are for). I think the shutdown will delay them more.

Son-in-law works in national security at the Pentagon, he is essential but I am not sure if he is getting paid.

I would like to get a jump on my federal taxes, but the schedules aren't done (some just have lines that say ...reserved...instead of what they are for). I think the shutdown will delay them more.

Son-in-law works in national security at the Pentagon, he is essential but I am not sure if he is getting paid.

Pentagon is DoD so not affected by the partial shutdown.

DS is a federal employee under DHS. He is going to work but not getting paid. Said he won't notice until the next pay check. He and his fellow employees have a poll over how long it will last.

Not at all.

It would need to be shutdown for several months before I would see a direct impact.

I have never felt any impact from any prior shutdowns.

Edited: Actually I was effected during one of the shutdowns during Clintons presidency. I was on a cruise that visited Puerto Rico and the majority of cruise excursions were cancelled because they visited places run by the National Park Service.

Last edited:
It has made my husband's job a bit dicey with the shut down. He doesn't work for the feds but his job requires federal funds. They are good for a few more weeks.

I work with a lot of Coast Guard families. A lot of them will be struggling if it goes on a lot longer.

Zero impact on me. I have been on vacation since the day it started, so if I was working I would probably we working on stories about it, so that would have some impact me.
I'm 61, and to be honest, I am not aware of any of the dozens of previous shutdowns have any impact on my life.

It hasn't had a direct impact on me. Now if the state of California had a shut down it might/could/would have an impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter