How's the partial federal government shutdown affecting you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far, it hasn’t. And I doubt it will.

If the state shut down, I’d notice immediately.

So far, it hasn’t. And I doubt it will.

If the state shut down, I’d notice immediately.
I don’t think I would notice if my state shutdown unless it shuts down in 2025 when I need to renew my drivers license.

If the county shutdown I would miss access to the parks almost immediately but can’t think of any other services I use on a regular basis.

Makes me really question all the taxes I pay and how few services I use.

I don’t think I would notice if my state shutdown unless it shuts down in 2025 when I need to renew my drivers license.

If the county shutdown I would miss access to the parks almost immediately but can’t think of any other services I use on a regular basis.

Really? Doesn’t your county handle road maintenance, police, fire, sewer service, snow removal to name a few things? I’d notice really quickly if there weren’t people to fix broken traffic lights or shut off pipeline breaks and while I personally don’t use the sheriff or go to jail I’d really notice if those shut down in my county. I’d really miss our libraries too. Local governments have huge footprints generally.

The reason most people don’t feel the affects is because the federal government keeps essential services running during shutdowns, but most counties and cities don’t have the same ability to keep people on the job without funding under labor laws.

Really? Doesn’t your county handle road maintenance, police, fire, sewer service, snow removal to name a few things? I’d notice really quickly if there weren’t people to fix broken traffic lights or shut off pipeline breaks and while I personally don’t use the sheriff or go to jail I’d really notice if those shut down in my county. I’d really miss our libraries too. Local governments have huge footprints generally.

The reason most people don’t feel the affects is because the federal government keeps essential services running during shutdowns, but most counties and cities don’t have the same ability to keep people on the job without funding under labor laws.
I am assuming the same situation that essential services would still run.

An apples to apples comparison, as best as possible.

I don’t use most services on a daily basis and would not feel it for a month or more.

Edited to add:
Thinking back the last time I used a non essential federal service directly was renewing passports but that non essential part is still running using the fees collected to fill their budget.

The last time I used a state or county service directly was renewing my carry permit at the probate court last year, getting the permit 5 years prior and getting death certificates a few years before that when my parents died.

I am not a regular visitor to federal, state, or county offices/sites that are deemed non essential.

This is really using just those who are directly employed by the federal government or through federal contracts as pawns in a highly partisan battle that neither side will win.

Last edited:
Hasn't affected me directly, as my husband is essential DoD. However, living in the Baltimore/Washington area, I know several people who are either at work and not being paid or at home and not being paid.

We were on vacation last week and had planned to visit two national parks. I am disgusted by the governments lack of ability to pass a budget on time. I am really unhappy that it negatively affected my vacation plans.

We are not directly effected, but I have a houseful of young women (DD's roommates from college) this week who had plans to visit the Smithsonian museums this week. I'm going to have to find a way to occupy them.

I am assuming the same situation that essential services would still run.

An apples to apples comparison, as best as possible.

I don’t use most services on a daily basis and would not feel it for a month or more.

Edited to add:
Thinking back the last time I used a non essential federal service directly was renewing passports but that non essential part is still running using the fees collected to fill their budget.

The last time I used a state or county service directly was renewing my carry permit at the probate court last year, getting the permit 5 years prior and getting death certificates a few years before that when my parents died.

I am not a regular visitor to federal, state, or county offices/sites that are deemed non essential.

This is really using just those who are directly employed by the federal government or through federal contracts as pawns in a highly partisan battle that neither side will win.

I could not agree more with your last statement. And the fact that any side is willing to use people’s lively hood in this battle is sickening to me.

I would like to get a jump on my federal taxes, but the schedules aren't done (some just have lines that say ...reserved...instead of what they are for). I think the shutdown will delay them more.

Son-in-law works in national security at the Pentagon, he is essential but I am not sure if he is getting paid.
Many schedules are not finalized. Can’t imagine if the shutdown ensues what this will do to an already difficult tax season ahead!:eek: It is typically a herendously long wait in the last couple of years to reach the IRS, especially during filing season, but it is anticipated that this season will be really bad with the tax law changes and the recent furlough. Heard on news this morning, only 12 percent of IRS working.

Last edited:

Good luck dealing with your own trash if your county/city shuts down. And even if you don't have kids in public schools, I'm pretty sure a school shut down would make an impact on your life.

I think the reason so many people are saying "no impact" is because the government has a wide definition of "essential", specifically with the goal of minimizing impact on citizens. I really almost wish that a shut down would be truly a shut down (except for military/LEO) so that people actually had a better sense of what the government really does every day.

I'm a contractor who works onsite at a federal government facility. My job is "excepted" (the new word for people who still work during the shutdown), so I'm working. My company is going to continue to pay us, even though they aren't getting paid by the government. I am *super* thankful for that.
I feel most badly for the many contractors and staff who aren't at work and probably aren't going to get back pay - the janitors and cafeteria workers and many others who make things work day-to-day here.

Last edited:
Good luck dealing with your own trash if your county/city shuts down. And even if you don't have kids in public schools, I'm pretty sure a school shut down would make an impact on your life.

I think the reason so many people are saying "no impact" is because the government has a wide definition of "essential", specifically with the goal of minimizing impact on citizens. I really almost wish that a shut down would be truly a shut down (except for military/LEO) so that people actually had a better sense of what the government really does every day.
My trash is handled by a private company. It is not a government service.

I don’t doubt that parts are essential to many in a daily basis. Not so much for me.

My husband is furloughed. We're fine financially as long as this doesn't drag out too long. Have modified our lifestyle to be a bit more frugally in the short-term.

Honestly, he's just super frustrated that he can't work regardless of not getting paid to do so. We were on vacation the week before the furlough and he was itching to go back and spend some time over the holidays (quiet time at the office), digging out and knocking through some cases without many interruptions.

I work from home so his being here - and climbing the walls - is putting me on edge. I can't imagine how I'll be feeling by the end of the week after the kids have been back in school a few days. If he was handy, I'd hand him a list of honey do projects but he's not.

I feel terrible for all the non-feds impacted. I'd like to donate to a fund to compensate them once this thing is resolved. H will probably get back pay, lots of these other people won't (cleaning crews, food service people, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter