How worth it is Palo?

XSeabiscuitX

Duffy's Biggest Fan
This isn't a question of money. We are going on our first cruise, and we happen to be getting married on our first cruise. (I also posted this in my planning journal, but I thought I would find more feedback here.) Included with the wedding is dinner at Palo for the couple. Our original plan was to do this on the last night, but now I'm thinking that this is the only time we will have this group of people together and I don't want to skip out on dinner the last night.

What I've read about with other couple's planning journals is going to Palo at 6 and then joining the group dinner at 8. My problem with this is it's going to involve missing one of the shows since it's a three night cruise. Not only do I hate the idea of missing the shows, I hate the idea of missing seeing them with my mom even more since this may be her only cruise. (She cries a lot about the magic in Disney shows at WDW and DLR, it's honestly really sweet.)

It's not like we get any money back if we skip Palo, so this won't save us any money. I don't think this will be our last cruise so in theory we can just pay for it in the future. My concern is us regretting skipping it when it's "free" after learning how good it is, whenever our next cruise is. My DF keeps saying whatever I want is fine, and I showed him the description of the shows and he wasn't super impressed.

What would you do? And if it's skipping one of the shows, would you skip The Golden Mickeys or Believe? Beauty and the Beast falls on the wedding night almost right after the wedding so we know we're going to that one.

In this situation, if you want to see all 3 shows and dine with your group, I would skip Palo. Yes, Palo is nice (and my husband and I have dined there on every cruise but the 3-night when we did Remy), but it's not so overwhelmingly better than the main dining room that you will regret not going there this time if you dine there again.

If you have late dining, another option is to go to the show with your group, go to dinner at Palo, and then meet up with your group in one of the lounges after dinner. If your mother likes Disney magic, she will like Golden Mickeys and Believe, so I totally understand not wanting to miss seeing them with her.

By what you wrote I would skip Palo and be with your mom and group. Especially if it is your last night . Palo is a fancy dinner yes, but thru that dinner I’m sure you will be thinking of the group and what you are missing.

Could you switch it for Palo brunch? Is there a sea day that would allow this without interfering with the timing of your wedding. Palo is nice but not that nice that I would put it before my family especially if my mother were with us.

Could you swap our Palo dinner for brunch possibly 🤷‍♀️
Could you switch it for Palo brunch? Is there a sea day that would allow this without interfering with the timing of your wedding. Palo is nice but not that nice that I would put it before my family especially if my mother were with us.
Sadly it specifically says in the wedding packet that you can't swap it for brunch, because that was my first thought too.

Would it be possible to go to Palo after the show and cut out early to be late to dinner? Like just eat one course? Or would that be super rude to the servers? I think skipping Palo will be the answer, but I've never had a souffle before.

Sadly it specifically says in the wedding packet that you can't swap it for brunch, because that was my first thought too.

Would it be possible to go to Palo after the show and cut out early to be late to dinner? Like just eat one course? Or would that be super rude to the servers? I think skipping Palo will be the answer, but I've never had a souffle before.

I can’t recall how late Palo dinner is served, but could you possibly do the show, the beginning of main dining to make an appearance and then eat dinner at Palo?

I would agree with the others. I would skip Palo (although we have loved every meal we have had there), and have dinner with the group.
One other possible option, if you don't have kids traveling with you, would be for the group to dine at Palo. Then everyone gets to experience it and the shows.
We have done Palo brunch with a group and loved it.

I had that thought too. Based on previous Navigators (Thank you DisneyCruiseLineBlog.com) the latest was 8 and late dining starts at 8:15. So I don't know how to make that happpen. Unless would it not be rude and possible to get out of the show around 7 and run to Palo and then finish up quickly and then make it to the late dining?

I would do the show with your family and dinner at Palo while others are eating in the MDR. You are getting married! Being with family is nice, but I think it also makes sense for you to have a little romantic quiet time as a couple, and by doing the show with family you will still be spending time with them that evening.

I would not skip PALO. Dinner at PALO is special and your waiter will make it even more special for you. There is an early and late show so you could either go to the early show show and then to PALO or vice versa.

I had that thought too. Based on previous Navigators (Thank you DisneyCruiseLineBlog.com) the latest was 8 and late dining starts at 8:15. So I don't know how to make that happpen. Unless would it not be rude and possible to get out of the show around 7 and run to Palo and then finish up quickly and then make it to the late dining?

You could do that and then show up at to see your family and dinner towards the end. We’re usuallu at dinner in the main dining room until 10, taking our time. Have you discussed any of this with your family? Maybe they don’t want you to give up Palo since it’s your honeymoon.

This isn't a question of money. We are going on our first cruise, and we happen to be getting married on our first cruise. (I also posted this in my planning journal, but I thought I would find more feedback here.) Included with the wedding is dinner at Palo for the couple. Our original plan was to do this on the last night, but now I'm thinking that this is the only time we will have this group of people together and I don't want to skip out on dinner the last night.

What I've read about with other couple's planning journals is going to Palo at 6 and then joining the group dinner at 8. My problem with this is it's going to involve missing one of the shows since it's a three night cruise. Not only do I hate the idea of missing the shows, I hate the idea of missing seeing them with my mom even more since this may be her only cruise. (She cries a lot about the magic in Disney shows at WDW and DLR, it's honestly really sweet.)

It's not like we get any money back if we skip Palo, so this won't save us any money. I don't think this will be our last cruise so in theory we can just pay for it in the future. My concern is us regretting skipping it when it's "free" after learning how good it is, whenever our next cruise is. My DF keeps saying whatever I want is fine, and I showed him the description of the shows and he wasn't super impressed.

What would you do? And if it's skipping one of the shows, would you skip The Golden Mickeys or Believe? Beauty and the Beast falls on the wedding night almost right after the wedding so we know we're going to that one.

I'd skip Believe. It's absolutely terrible, IMO.

I love Palo, especially Palo brunch but Palo for dinner's ambiance can't be beat.

We’ve done Palo dinner and brunch. I much prefer brunch. The chicken parmigiana is really amazing.

You can have two answers for this question:
(1) sometimes 'alone' time is PRECIOUS and there is no better way to spend it then an AWESOME dinner at Palo's
(2) family is EVERYTHING and since you are taking this group with other folks, STAY WITH THEM as good food comes and goes but memories are for a lifetime

You can say I am an old softie - but it's all true

After reading your specific situation, I would see all of the shows with mom since that is important to her (I didn't dislike Believe but it didn't leave a huge impression one way or the other, so I wouldn't skip it based on other peoples' dislike of it) and then have your couple dinner at Palo, maybe not the last night but do it another night. You can have all of the other meals together - IMO missing out on one is not that big of a deal. Family meals are things you can get at home on your own time but what you can't get at home are the shows and the Palo experience so I'd prioritize those.

It is lovely that you want to spend time with your family but I think it is entirely appropriate for a newly married couple to have one alone time dinner.

That said I might also swing by guest services when you board and explain the situation, that you'd really like to experience Palo but dinnertime means missing out on time with your mom and this will likely be her last cruise and asking if they could possibly let you use it as a brunch instead. I have heard that the free platinum meal is supposed to be dinner but they let people use it for lunch, it would seem to me there is a reasonable chance they would be equally flexible for a wedding package. I wouldn't COUNT on it but I would definitely ask if that works the best for you and they might work a little magic.

otherwise I honestly would not worry about skipping ONE meal together of 9. Especially if you do another cruise, you will definitely have the chance to experience that MDR again!

Can you get together with the group at a bar somewhere after dinner the last night? Do the show with your Mom, then have Palo dinner, then all hang out at a bar together after they finish dinner in the MDR. It will be impossible to talk to everyone at the dinner table anyway. Having a little time together that night with just your new DH would be precious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter