How to justify Poly concierge?

hunnypotmama

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/index.
Hi all, sorry if this question has been asked a billion times before...we are looking to split our stay in November between ASMu (4 nights) and Poly (maybe conc.)(3 nights). What factors do you look at to justify the extra expense of Concierge? The rates I looked at for AP holder (that's me) were $50 per night difference. We will be travelling with 2 adults and 2 children, ages 6 and 2...we could very well stay close to the resort on our Poly days, i.e., in MK or at the resort swimming. Is the extra expense for concierge worth it?

hunnypotmama

I'm wondering the same thing myself! On paper, I figure it will save me some money. On-the-go breakfast costs $20, the kids always want something after returning from the parks mid-afternoon, plus they want something in the evening, after supper but before bed. I have to think that adds up to $50. Then when you add in personal service aspect, it has to be worth it!! But I'm looking forward to replies from others who have gone concierge before!

We are a family of 5, 9yrDD, 9yrDD, 4yrDD and us. We went last year, for us it was well worth it. We had breakfast there every morning. We loaded up on waters for the day (at $2.50 a pop in the parks, this benefit added up quickly). We (DH and myself) had our dinner from the 5-7 "appetizers" most nights - our kids are very picky so going to restuarants were not worth it for us. We did the hoop de doo one night and Ohana's another. The kids would get the dinner from Captain Cooks and bring it up to the lounge and eat with us.
The lounge itself is wonderful. The CM's were friendly and always making usre we had everything we needed. The view is wonderful. AND - it gave us another palce to be other than our hotel room or a lobby at night. Our little one tuckered out really fast, so we were ususally back to the hotel around 4 for the day. It is a great place to hang out.
We're going back in October, didn't consider anything but the concierge.
Hope you like it!:D

I just went through trying to justify this for two days. Ours was an 85.00 difference per day. Breakfast alone for four people, two adults and two children for three days adds up to 85.00. We would not have to buy the refillable cups so there is another 40.00. Plus all the other food offerings would save us money even if we went out for dinner. Desserts add up. We figured we could probably make a meal from the evening offerings because neither dh nor I eat much when its hot.

LOL after I went all through figuring out that we really would break even dh said FORGET trying to justify it....book it....Happy Early Birthday!!! The best birthday present I have ever gotten! My 40th birthday is three days after we return.

Here was how we justified it:

- HE is a huge soda drinker
- Bottled water is expensive in the parks, and we'd grab several a day before heading out.
- If the cost is rolled into the room cost, it doesn't hurt as much as forking over 3 dollars here and there for water, soda and coffee.
- I'm a huge coffee drinker.
- My dd loved the gummy worms, uncrustables, and the lounge itself because she met other children.
- The difference between a lagoon view and gv is the same as the difference between lv and gvc. (at least it was then)
- it felt totally luxurious to look at the castle at night, enjoy a beverage and sample the desserts/cordials.
- You only live once!

Depends . . . if you want to justify the expense, you can. If you want to rationalize it differently, you can.

Scenerio 1: Let's say that you would buy breakfast every morning. Even a muffin, fruit, and juice will run $5/person. Let's say you'd buy snacks in the afternoon. There goes another $5/person. Drinks, if you'd buy them at Disney, are easily $5/person. You've justified the extra $50.

Scenerio 2: Let's say you're really budget-minded (like me), and you'd bring drinks and food from home. I can feed my family bagels, bottled juice, etc. for breakfast for $15 for the whole family for the whole week. A refrigerator isn't really a need -- the kids love a trip to the ice machine, so we bring the cooler along. For $10 I can get enough Walmart-purchased bottled waters to last us all week. So, using this set of figures, the $50/day is out of the question.

The real question is, which set of figures are realistic for YOUR FAMILY? Would you feel "cheated" if you had granola bars for your afternoon snack? Or would you be happy knowing that you have extra souvenier money because you packed your own sodas?

Mirlow,

Thanks for the link to your trip at the Poly Concierge from last year. It sounds so perfect for my family - I can't wait!!!

Ok, I'll bite...heehee...why is it some complain about making a meal out of evening concierge offereings?

Thanks to all for your very helpful responses!

hunnpotmama

hunnypotmama,
you will have NO complaints from me!!
We loved the food, it was plentiful and delicious. We loved the wine, and the desserts later on. I'm sure many people look forward to their evening meals in different restuarants, but with picky kids, we knew it would be room service most nights for us if we didn't have concierge. Every night is a different theme of food, so we felt like we did try different restuarants!:D
Chef Dick does a fantastic job!

$50 is a small price difference for the benefits received by going concierge. We were there in March and felt it was worth every penny. I see by your signature you have been there a few times. Consider this a word of warning.......It will ruin you.;) We are looking to go back in 2003 and I am really having a hard time considering anything besides the Poly-Concierge.

I've been thinking about doing poly lagoon conc. too. I currently have regular lagoon view reservations. With some of the recent codes that came out I think I can pay the same and get concierge instead. However, the big reason I am hesitating is that I really like the Tahiti building and I'm wondering what the concierge buiding is like. I know that they are refurbishing it next year, so does that mean it's kinda oldish? And I think the Tahiti rooms are bigger aren't they?

I kinda like the seclusion of the Tahiti building too.

I heard that next year they are using Tahiti for concierge - I'm definitly doing concierge next year then!

Zephyr

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter