How to get ECV in room myself?

2010_Bride

DIS Veteran
Hello!

I am planning a solo trip for this winter. I’m very familiar with renting and using an ECV at WDW. However, I’ve never travelled by myself. Usually my husband holds the room door for me to drive in. Has anyone travelled solo and can let me know what they did? This is the one thing I’m nervous about. If I try and get off the scooter and hold the door I know I’ll wrench my back or hip.

My past several trips to Disney have been solo and using an ECV. I tried several different typical (under the door) door stops, but none seemed to work very well. The doors at Disney are heavy (fire-safety) doors. Then I came across this type of door stop (see photo). It works great! I pull up to my room door, open the door, put the wedge over the middle hinge, and drive through the open door.

It's available on Amazon in a variety of colors. I've also added a video showing how it works. Wedge-It Demo

My past several trips to Disney have been solo and using an ECV. I tried several different typical (under the door) door stops, but none seemed to work very well. The doors at Disney are heavy (fire-safety) doors. Then I came across this type of door stop (see photo). It works great! I pull up to my room door, open the door, put the wedge over the middle hinge, and drive through the open door.

View attachment 464744

It's available on Amazon in a variety of colors. I've also added a video showing how it works. Wedge-It Demo
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I just ordered one. I have been using the old fashioned door stop that slides under the door, but sometimes it struggles to hold open those heavy steel doors.

It depends on where you are staying, at Kidani Village, the doors are designed so that if you push them hard they will stay open. This may be the case at some other resorts too, I don't know.

You can also usually ask for a door stop from housekeeping and/or the front desk, just explain why you need it.

But I have frequently reached over to unlock the door and push just a little open, then used the ECV to gently push the door open, but I had a plastic basket on the front, I would be very cautious on this with a metal basket to avoid scratching the door.

@Evita_W - good suggestion, and the wheels should (but don't always) extend further out than a basket. Of course, then there's the frame over/ahead of the wheels, but scratches near the bottom of the door are less obtrusive ;).

View attachment 464744

Thanks! I’ll look into this one.

It depends on where you are staying, at Kidani Village, the doors are designed so that if you push them hard they will stay open. This may be the case at some other resorts too, I don't know.

You can also usually ask for a door stop from housekeeping and/or the front desk, just explain why you need it.

But I have frequently reached over to unlock the door and push just a little open, then used the ECV to gently push the door open, but I had a plastic basket on the front, I would be very cautious on this with a metal basket to avoid scratching the door.

Asking housekeeping or the front desk is a great suggestion. I think I’ll order the door stop mentioned above, but if it doesn’t arrive in time (this is a last minute trip) I will certainly ask housekeeping. Thanks for the suggestion. I don’t want to scrape up the scooter or the resort door.

View attachment 464744

Thanks for sharing! I'm going to place an order for this now. I have a problem bending over for floor doorstops, so I normally ease into the room with my ECV. However, the last hotel I stayed at had a door that swung too easily, but still automatically closed, so I felt so bad for my neighbors when the door banged the walls a few times accidentally.

This is me:
Back up slowly to door.
Unlock door.
Turn knob/handle.
Slooowwwwwly back into now-open doof, to open wider and enter room.

I use a variant of your technique. I open the door and pull the upper security latch in place so the door is just ajar first... the slowly drive forward opening the door by tapping it. Been doing it for years.

Last week I had a most unfortunate complication with this method. In the middle of the night I was awoken by a security guard standing over the bed asking if I was OK... I had forgotten to go back and secure the door after I got in the room and they noticed it was ajar! I was so embarrassed... but glad they took security at the resort so seriously LOL

Never could get a door stop to work with the heavy doors... the Wedge-It suggestion is perfect and I already placed my order! :rolleyes1

Last edited:
This is what I did on my last trip. I didn’t have a door stop but just put my luggage there. Door stop is a great idea!

I tried the door stop idea on about 5 solo/ECV trips and it never worked to hold the door open. Finally, I figured out to use my cane. I pull up to the door slowly, open the door slightly, then grab my cane and push and hold the door open with that. Going out, I can use the cane too.
I haven't tried the going in backwards as mentioned above. Next time I'll try it.

It would also seem like SOME of the remodeled HANDICAP rooms are having Auto Doors put in where fight with a heavy door and your mobility device is nonexistent. I would ask/do research on which hotels offer this.

I haven't tried the going in backwards as mentioned above. Next time I'll try it.
I've done that, too - but explaining the backing in seemed easier :D
I'm going to contact Wedge-It to see if I can get a cut of the action from all of these orders. :laughing:

ETA: I am by no means affiliated with the company that produces them.
D
At least see if they want a Brand Ambassador! :)

It would also seem like SOME of the remodeled HANDICAP rooms are having Auto Doors put in where fight with a heavy door and your mobility device is nonexistent. I would ask/do research on which hotels offer this.

This is being done to Disney resort rooms? Do you know where any of these are?

I’m just shocked that WDW would do this because even at the newly remodeled Caribbean Beach Resort main building that was mostly torn down and completely remodeled, the only door to the large outdoor eating area was not installed with an ADA push-button for access because Florida building code didn’t require it. The closest accessible entrance requires traveling along the main path around the dining area, into the courtyard, through the main lobby, entering the main entrance of the dining hall, wading through all the diners, refilling one’s drink, then repeating the process backwards.

I’m glad these are being put in but there are so many bathrooms and other main areas that need these types of doors too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter