• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How to get a room upgrade?

thesmiths

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are staying at the Boardwalk Inn for 7 nights in September, with the FTP. We booked a standard view and I've read a few posts on this board about people getting Free Room Upgrades. I'm wondering what the best way to ask for this is (or is it all left to chance?).

Should I Fax? Call? Ask when we check in? And how soon should I request an upgrade?

Thanks for any advice!

Pay for it :)

Seriously, I do'nt like the idea of faxing and requesting an upgrade.

I think it's better done at check-in, ask nicely for the "best view possible" and see if they can work any magic for you.

Anne

I am in total agreement. You should show up at the front desk expecting to get the room you paid for, if they give you a better room/view, or if at that time you happen to mention that you'd like the best view possible that's ok. But if the better room is what you want then you should reserve it.

I believe that most of the time when people remark about a 'free upgrade', its something they didn't expect or plan ahead, they either asked at the time of check-in or they were pleasantly surprised.

Unlike the previous posters, I like to do my research and always discover that there are entirely "legitimate" ways to get upgrades - and frankly, even if there are not sanctioned ways to get upgrades - I see no problem with someone just flat ASKING for an upgrade since I see no reason to let the better rooms sit empty - yet like I said, I've always found "legit" ways to get free upgrades. I am certainly not too stuffy to do a little legwork in order to get a better room and not have to PAY extra for it. For example: We signed up to be Starwood Preferred Guests. As a perk for Gold Starwood Preferred guests, you are entitled to a room upgrade. In our last trip in March 2003, we paid for a balcony room at the Dolphin. Our upgrade would have been to give us a club level room. We feel keeping the balcony room and getting club level PRIVILEGES is actually the best of both worlds as the club level rooms are not nicer than the balcony rooms and heck, they don't have the balcony - so that's what we did. I am not ashamed to say that we thoroughly enjoyed the free breakfasts and all the juice my daughter could hold each morning that saved us at least $6 a piece for my husband, daughter and I ($6 is a cheap breakfast by Disney standards). I also make no apology for taking advantage of the free hordevours, cookies, drinks, etc in the evening either. In FACT, I'm not ashamed to say that some days we just had our BIG MEAL OUT at the parks and were so tired from walking that we just ate those hordevours for dinner and went back to our BALCONY room, watched the fireworks without smashing our faces against the windows and then passed out. This "upgrade" was not ours by "accident" - I did my research for the best deal and did the legwork to make it happen. I personally like to get the best deal I can find and see no shame in that. The Dolphin is in just as good a location as the Boardwalk and is a hell of alot cheaper. Being STarwood preferred, you'll be in line to get a nicer room - and that makes all the difference at the Dolphin. Many people who go to Dolphin are businessmen at conferences there who simply don't care what view they have - so it would be crazy to NOT ask for what you want....OH! That balcony was fabulous and Room 8029 has a perfect view of the big Epcot ball and Illuminations every night. Some people obviously have pride in paying full price. That's up to them.

You get free room upgrades using the Entertainment Book Card as well....ask about AAA rates too. Also, we got the cheapest rate for the Dolphin by calling the Starwood toll free # rather than the Dolphin itself for some reason.....

By the way, if you do book at Dolphin, make sure to note on the reservation to NOT UPGRADE YOU OUT OF YOUR BALCONY ROOM....they like to do that....but the Florida sunshine and lovely breeze from that balcony is to die for - 8029 was just wonderful....Don't be shy about asking - they WANT to make you happy. :Pinkbounc

I'm also in agreement here. We pay for the room type we want.
This way we are guaranteed our preference. While upgrades are nice, I would not count on it and risk disappointment. If a particular view is that important, I think you should book it. That being said, the BWI gets great reviews, and I have not read one complaint about the view (or lack thereof).

Laura

Ashley's mom--I do the same type of thing that you do, but regretfully WDW doesn't offer a system to reward frequent guests with upgrades...although I think one of the reasons I was upgraded from a 1BR suite to a 2BR suite at the AKl was because I was a return concierge guest. It was also my birthday, so that might have helped as well, but I honestly think being a repeat guest in that situation was what got me the upgrade. BTW--I didn't ask for the upgrade, they gave it to us with a little pixiedust :)

Anne

Just ask politely, if there is an upgrade available. If there is and their intention is to charge you for it, the CM will inform you of the charge & you can decide if you want to pay for it or not. Some times, if it is available, they will do it & by golly when you get to that room - WOWWWWWWWWW!

It happened to us at BW on our first visit there. I didn't even ask. They didn't tell me we were upgraded, but when the room numbers directed us to one of the little garden cottages, oh my goodness. WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Now in as many times as we have stayed at BC(and believe me I have lost count)- it has only happened once, and that was up to a water view. That doesn't keep me from asking, maybe on my 100th stay they will give me The Nantuckett Suite - who knows - I'll keep asking (politely of course). Good Luck!!!!

We booked 2 standard rooms at WL for 6/30-7/7. While checking in, the CM said that we have been upgraded to Courtyard. Didn't ask why, just smiled and said thank you.

I don't know about asking for upgrades, but we also got really lucky on our trip a couple of weeks ago. Check-in took a really long time because a new person was being trained and I think the manager upgraded us sort of as an apology. Anyway, when he took our regular key away and told us that we were getting a gold key, I had NO idea that he meant concierge level and cottage suite!! We were in heaven when we got to our room. My son was dancing all around the garden!

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Sad to be back :(

I agree with Anne on this one. If the view is important, then make it a priority and bite the bullet. It doesn't hurt to ask at checkin-that's where they can see the available rooms anyway, right? I always just trust my luck and I've rarely been disappointed! I got a "water view" ie. quiet pool upgrade when we stayed at the BC-no mention of paying for it (and I hadn't asked), but when the bill came in, it was on the bill. It didn't take long to get that straightened out with my confirmation in hand, but it was an additional trip to the front desk. We don't travel enough to get starwood points, but that is an excellent way to upgrade if you do. You know, when you are at Disney, with the right positive attitude, even the backside of Country at the ASM resort is magical! Ask me. . . I know!
jesterlol.gif

Thank you for all the posts. I hope I didn't come off as someone who expects things for free... I've been to Disney so many times and I love being there, whether I'm looking at a parking lot or a pool! A great view is not a necessity, so I don't think we'll upgrade on our own. But it's the first time we are staying at the BWI (we've saved our pennies for quite a while and the FTP got it within our reach) and I thought a nice view would be a bonus. :D So when we check in I will ask (very politely) if there's anything available. I promise not to be dissappointed if there isn't, but it can't hurt to ask. ;)

Thanks for all the great advice!

You certainly didn't come off that way--I hope you didn't think I was being rude with my "Pay for it" comment. It was meant as a joke. (Although thats certainly one way to get one!) :)

Anne

I would request an Epcot view, there are some standard views at BWI with an Epcot view (in the courtyard near the quiet pool). Just make sure they don't put you facing the front driveway. We were on the second floor and our balcony faced the walkway to the bus stop, there were people constantly walking by and talking. It was only 1 night and that was all that was left (I didn't put any requests in). Otherwise, the room was lovely!

uncle al & disneycrazed...

Those little BWI cottages look so pretty ~ I would love to stay in one save the clown at the pool scares me :eek:

What a great treat for you ~ Disney Magic for sure :)

>>^..^<<

Originally posted by disneycrazed139
I don't know about asking for upgrades, but we also got really lucky on our trip a couple of weeks ago. Check-in took a really long time because a new person was being trained and I think the manager upgraded us sort of as an apology. Anyway, when he took our regular key away and told us that we were getting a gold key, I had NO idea that he meant concierge level and cottage suite!! We were in heaven when we got to our room. My son was dancing all around the garden!

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Sad to be back :(

Wow!!!!!!!!! Were you lucky! Iwould have been dancing around!:p :p

As far as an upgrade at a Disney owned property I do think it's entirely random. Reserve what is necessary for your trip to be what you want it to be and if you get an upgrade so much the better. I'm sure it doesn't hurt to note a special occasion on your reservation (like a birthday, anniversary, etc) and I'd certainly do that. Also think that's a good idea at check in to ask for the best view available, that kind of thing. I've only been upgraded once, without asking for it, from a garden to water view at the Poly. However I've been very fortunate with room requests (location, view etc) by faxing a polite request a few days before arrival.

Good luck and I envy all of those who get/have gotten great upgrades! Good for you!

I don't think it hurts to send in a fax and request . Because that's what it is - a request. You may be pleasantly surprised or not.

In 1998 we stayed in Conch Key at the GF. When we returned in 2000, I requested the same building because we liked the location. No harm in that. They honored the request and the building was temporarily being used as concierge because of the renovations being done on the main bldg. That was a pleasant surprise. I had no idea the building was concierge.

This year, I sent my fax into the Cont. and we were upgraded to the 8th floor tower (after paying for and having had 2 previous stays in the garden wings - and we would have been very happy there). We then moved over to the Poly. There, I also got my requests - but an upgrade was not included. That was fine with me. So, it doesn't hurt to request - you never know what may happen. ;)

Anna

I don't want to sound off topic, but in your first post you talk about "FTP" What exactly is that, I keep seeing it everywhere :)

Hi there -

FTP means Fairy Tale Package

It was a booking promotion by Disney stay seven nights/pay for 4

>>^..^<<

Originally posted by Ashley's mom
For example: We signed up to be Starwood Preferred Guests. As a perk for Gold Starwood Preferred guests, you are entitled to a room upgrade. In our last trip in March 2003, we paid for a balcony room at the Dolphin. Our upgrade would have been to give us a club level room.

Just to clarify so no unreasonable expectations are raised, SPG Gold are NOT entitled to an upgrade to the Club Level. Only SPG Paltinum are entitled to that upgrade. SPG Gold are entitled to be upgraded to a preferred room on a space available basis. See http://www.starwood.com/preferredguest/terms_conditions.html#5

The only way I know to become SPG Platinum is to spend a lot of nights in SPG beds: 25 stays or 50 nights.

That doesn't mean that as an SPG Gold you won't get an upgrade to Club Level, just that it is not a guarantee. I agree that it never hurts to ask, as long as you are polite about it.

-- Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter