How to avoid catching a cold at WDW?

I've found myself sick on our last trip, but I'm pretty sure that was due to lack of sleep (flew in on a red eye, managed to get to MK for rope drop... ran a 5k, up late & up early daily) one of the other girls on our trip was also sick.

I've heard that constantly going in and out of the a/c vs florida heat can affect your body as well, not sure how true it is but wouldn't doubt it. Add in being in rainy clothes in the a/c, and your eating habits/diet completely changing or your body not being used to that many treats/sodas/chicken nugs daily, and your body's going to react.

If I feel something coming on before I leave, I'll take extra strength cold fx, make sure I'm stocked up on emerg-c and oil of oregano! I carry hand sanitizer with me in the parks and do my best to wash my hands a lot!a

I'm so happy to hear that I'm not the only person who wipes down things on the plane! i have not had great experiences with our "neighbors" even though we use chemical- free 7th Generation products. We do the seat belts, arm rests, and tray tables- they are usually disgusting. In the hotel we wipe everything. Door knobs, light switches, remote, bedside table, sink area, dresser tops, bath.....Sounds like a lot but only takes 5 min. There is no way those places are clean.
We wash our hands and use hand sanitizer too.
I never thought of probiotics- thank you! I have a child who needs to avoid illness so thats helpful.

Going to be doing my pre-trip dosing of extra Vitamin C & D. (fingers crossed)

I carry a sweatshirt so that when I am hot and sweaty from being outside I don't freeze in the restaurants and shops. I swear the extreme temp shifts contribute to me getting sick.

I'm so happy to hear that I'm not the only person who wipes down things on the plane! i have not had great experiences with our "neighbors" even though we use chemical- free 7th Generation products. We do the seat belts, arm rests, and tray tables- they are usually disgusting. In the hotel we wipe everything. Door knobs, light switches, remote, bedside table, sink area, dresser tops, bath.....Sounds like a lot but only takes 5 min. There is no way those places are clean.
We wash our hands and use hand sanitizer too.
I never thought of probiotics- thank you! I have a child who needs to avoid illness so thats helpful.

Agree with this 100%!!! Especially on the plane. Two years ago I got tonsillitis - flew out of NY at 6am and by 7pm the evening we arrived I already had fever. Spent hours recovering in the hotel after going to the clinic the next morning with fever and swollen glands and tonsils. I am convinced it was the plane! Now I wipe down everything!

We drive to disney,so I always bring a can of lysol and spray the whole room from light switch to remote control, faucet toilet, you get the idea, and always hand sanitizer during the day. I will start the whole family on emergenC like some of you recommend it never cross my mind

I also try really hard not to touch my face unless my hands are freshly washed....and I second the paper towels on bathroom doors.

Yep, these are my top two things, in addition to washing with regular soap and water: open the restroom door with a paper towel, and try not to touch your face (eyes, nose, or mouth). The germs enter your body when you rub your eyes or touch your nose or mouth. You can't avoid all germs, but you can minimize face touching! It's helped me avoid catching a cold for a year and a half.

Yep, these are my top two things, in addition to washing with regular soap and water: open the restroom door with a paper towel, and try not to touch your face (eyes, nose, or mouth). The germs enter your body when you rub your eyes or touch your nose or mouth. You can't avoid all germs, but you can minimize face touching! It's helped me avoid catching a cold for a year and a half.

That's always been the toughest part for me! This will be our third trip in June and my allergies are usually acting up. I try not to touch my face, but it's inevitable that I will thoughout the day. I always try to wash my hands, use hand sanitizer if possible, or Ill use my shirt.

It also seems like I will get stuck in line behind someone with way to much perfume, cologne, or deodorant. my eyes and nose are already running thinking about it. :scared1:

I bring Clorox wipes from home. I use one on the plane to clean the drop down trays and armrests of our seats. Then when I check into our hotel ai once over the door knobs and remote controls etc.

When using the public toilets I always wash hands and use the paper towel to open the door.

I also pack some antibacterial wet wipes to use on our hands before eating since we touch so many rides! It seems to help!

My tip, which can apply "at home" or on vacation...I wear clear, plastic disposable gloves when dining at a buffet restaurant. I wear them when preparing my plate (and children's plates) not while eating. I have seen way too many people licking their fingers, picking their noses, coughing and sneezing into their hands and exiting the bathrooms then going up to the buffet, touching the serving utensils---I had to protect myself and family from that grossness.

I wear a fresh pair of gloves each time I go to the buffet and I still use hand sanitizer before I actually eat.

People look at me crazy at first, then say that it's a great idea and then always seem to follow me in the line

The last three trips we have made to WDW my sister has gone with us. One year she got sick. The next year my DH got sick. This year (January) I got sick. I ran a temp, had a horrible cough, couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, I was just very sick. It felt like the flu. I always wipe down the trays, seat belts, etc. on the plane. I always use a Qtip and put a coating of Vaseline in my nostrils (didn't think about Neosporin). I always wipe down things in the room and carry hand sanitizer with me for when I can't wash my hands. We usually rent a car and stop at a Walmart and buy cheap pillows and take our own pillow cases. I have been wondering about the comforter covers that are on the beds. How often are they changed? Are they changed each time the sheets are changed when guests check out? I try to be pro-active and do what I can to stay healthy but it doesn't always work. My doctor told me to stop going to Disney! :)

Wash hands frequently. Be aware of what you touch, especially after washing hands and leaving a restroom. (Use a towel to grab door handles, turn off faucets that aren't automated, etc.) ATMs are huge culprits, as are doors. Basically, anything hundreds of people touch either avoid, wash hands afterwards, use wipes after, etc. Washing hands is the best. Also try not to rub eyes, nose, etc., since you could conduct germs.

My big warning is beware of drinking fountains. I caught mono from a drinking fountain 20 years ago. To this day, I no longer use them.

Even those who don't often get sick at home may be more likely to catch colds at WDW, because

1. Mix of germs brought by visitors from all over the world
2. For those who arrive by plane, any germs carried by other passengers
3. Being "on the go" more than usual
etc.

I've tried many of the common approaches to avoiding colds at WDW, including

1. Take vitamins
2. Take cold-prevention supplements such as Airborne or Emergen-C
3. Be sure to wash hands before meals
4. Get enough rest
5. Get enough sleep

But even with all the effort, I've ended up with a cold or something almost every trip, although they are far less frequent at home.

Has anyone managed to avoid catching a cold on most of your trips at WDW? If so, do you have any strategies in addition to the ones I mentioned?

Thanks.
I've never caught a cold at WDW (knock wood). That said, I am a teacher and am exposed to colds & other viruses pretty much all throughout the school year, so I've become pretty diligent in my fight against colds.

One thing I like to keep handy are Zicam brand Rapidmelt zinc tablets. When you get that first inkling that a cold might be coming on, those tablets are a lot more potent and convenient than sucking on a hard candy zinc lozenge.

I recommend bringing a few small containers of disinfectant wipes, and wiping down (if you fly) the airplane armrests, seat pocket, seat belt clasp, ceiling buttons, tray table, etc, as well as common-touch surfaces in the hotel room such as light switches, doorknobs, sink & toilet handles, telephone, remote controls, balcony door handle, etc. If you rent a car, wipe down the steering wheel, control buttons, seat belt clasp, etc.

Also try not to bite your nails, and be careful about washing hands (or at least using wipes) before eating, even just a simple snack like popcorn.

[QUOTE="katt789, post: 57448943, member: 273633"I've heard that constantly going in and out of the a/c vs florida heat can affect your body as well, not sure how true it is but wouldn't doubt it. [/QUOTE]

This is what gets me, almost every time. It's hot out, I'm exhausted and sweaty from spending a full day in the parks, so I crank up the A/C in my resort room when I get back. Then by the middle of the night I'm freezing and I can already feel the tickle forming in the back of my throat.

On my last trip I remembered to turn the thermostat back up after taking my post-park shower and it made a huge difference. I still got that nice initial burst of cooling off, but didn't leave myself vulnerable to cold temps all night.

Not sure how long you stay at Disney, but truthfully you're probably catching the germs before your trip. I'm no expert, but it's hard to catch a cold and feel symptoms like 2 days after. I would be cautious of your activities prior to your trip. Make sure you get plenty of rest, avoid sick people, avoid touching surfaces like keyboards/atm machines, use hand sanitizer always, avoid alcohol if possible. Sorry this happens to you. I heard there's always that group of people who always get sick on trips, and thankfully I'm not one of them. I became sick on my Disneyland trip in 2014 and I just took mucinex every 12 hours and made sure to sleep, and the trip went just as well as if I wasn't sick! I think the important thing too is to not stress too much. Hope this helps!

Exposure to germs helps build the immune system. It never fails to surprise me how paranoid people get over germs.

We are all exposed to germs constantly. But in different environments and in unusual situations ( such as planes) it can be overload. I have a child who has horrible reactions to fevers and we need to be super cautious with viruses and upper respiratory illness. Don't judge.

We have generally followed a lot of the things mentioned. Washing hands, getting sleep, etc. But one time, we all ate chicken at Bennigans on I-Drive and got food poisoning. Sometimes you just never know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter