How to avoid catching a cold at WDW?

DaisyDuck001

DIS Veteran
Even those who don't often get sick at home may be more likely to catch colds at WDW, because

1. Mix of germs brought by visitors from all over the world
2. For those who arrive by plane, any germs carried by other passengers
3. Being "on the go" more than usual
etc.

I've tried many of the common approaches to avoiding colds at WDW, including

1. Take vitamins
2. Take cold-prevention supplements such as Airborne or Emergen-C
3. Be sure to wash hands before meals
4. Get enough rest
5. Get enough sleep

But even with all the effort, I've ended up with a cold or something almost every trip, although they are far less frequent at home.

Has anyone managed to avoid catching a cold on most of your trips at WDW? If so, do you have any strategies in addition to the ones I mentioned?

Thanks.

My kids seems to be the most common to catch something, but with that said, never anything serious or to keep them from having a good time (mild cold, sinus pressure, headache can all be "fixed" temporarily with medicine).
We take hand sanitizer and use after every ride, I bring "lysol wipes" in a baggie and use them to wipe down tables, etc. if I'm in no hurry. Avoid touching hand rails, walls, bathroom fixtures, lol. I'm a germ-a-phobe... maybe that's why I rarely get sick.

I think you are taking all the right precautions. Drinking Orange juice (same as Emergen-C but more "fresh") can help with the immune system but it by no means a preventative.

If anyone else has suggestions, I'm open to hear them.

Thanks much. Unfortunately zinc upsets my stomach, but I'm sure this tip will be helpful for many other readers.

My kids seems to be the most common to catch something, but with that said, never anything serious or to keep them from having a good time (mild cold, sinus pressure, headache can all be "fixed" temporarily with medicine).
We take hand sanitizer and use after every ride, I bring "lysol wipes" in a baggie and use them to wipe down tables, etc. if I'm in no hurry. Avoid touching hand rails, walls, bathroom fixtures, lol. I'm a germ-a-phobe... maybe that's why I rarely get sick.

I think you are taking all the right precautions. Drinking Orange juice (same as Emergen-C but more "fresh") can help with the immune system but it by no means a preventative.

If anyone else has suggestions, I'm open to hear them.
Thank you, these are good reminders about minimizing unnecessary contact with hand rails and then cleaning hands afterwards if you do have to touch such things. And yes, getting nutrients from orange juice and healthy food instead of only relying on supplements, is a great reminder!

#1 thing that helped me..... use a paper towel to open public restroom doors.

I'm appalled by how many people don't wash their hands when exiting public restrooms.
Good point! I also use a paper towel to turn on/off the restroom sink water for those faucets that are not automatic, and to open the door to exit the restroom.

I also wonder if the hotel room bathrooms are thoroughly sanitized between guests.

I also wonder if the hotel bathrooms are thoroughly sanitized between guests.
Think about packing a blacklight.... https://www.amazon.com/Spots-Light-Blacklight-Flashlight-Ultraviolet/dp/B00QXUVYMY/
  • Light switches and hair dryers are poorly cleaned in my experience.
  • Walls often contain invisible stains
  • Quickly find spilled drinks running down the furniture sides. I just do a quick spot clean if I find something not right. Or leave a note the next morning telling the cleaner where they missed.

Hand washing , avoiding the bathroom door/fan/faucet touching. Bring disinfectant spray for room n I keep a small one with me.
I use Zinc as well.

I was very sick for six weeks after our last trip. But I'm pretty sure I got it from the woman hacking next to me on the plane to Orlando. So, I would say wear an antiviral mask on your flight if you don't care about people looking at you funny. ;) Also, I bring wet wipes and also airborne which has a lot of zinc and vitamin C in it.

Whenever there is a sink available wash ur hands with soap and water, hand sanitizer doesn't work on everything. I use elderberry gummies instead of emergence c....its got a ton of vitamin c. I also try really hard not to touch my face unless my hands are freshly washed....and I second the paper towels on bathroom doors.

We have never come down with anything at Disney yet! I use the lysol travel spray and wipes when we first get to our room. I also bring a bottle of Softsoap or Dial antibacterial in the luggage for the hotel room. We always wash before we eat and use sanitizing hand wipes after returning to the table from the restroom. Overkill for some but it works for us.

Start taking a high quality probiotic leading up to your trip. If your gut is happy/healthy, you can fend off a lot of things. I get the ones that are refigerated in places like Whole Foods or vitamin store. Not the cheapest things in the world, but I swear by them.

Other than that, we wash hands and use sanitizer every chance we get. Me plus kids, especially the kids. If we're stationary for a second, you get a couple of squirts.

Has worked well so far.

Start taking a high quality probiotic leading up to your trip. If your gut is happy/healthy, you can fend off a lot of things. I get the ones that are refigerated in places like Whole Foods or vitamin store. Not the cheapest things in the world, but I swear by them.

Other than that, we wash hands and use sanitizer every chance we get. Me plus kids, especially the kids. If we're stationary for a second, you get a couple of squirts.

Has worked well so far.

We take these, I forgot to mention that: https://www.costco.com/trunature-Digestive-Probiotic,-100-Capsules.product.100082053.html

Don't touch your eyes/nose/mouth when you've been touching door handles, handrails at the attractions, etc.

Get enough sleep.

Wow! I knew probiotics are great for preventing and alleviating digestive problems, but I didn't know they can also help prevent colds.

Whenever there is a sink available wash ur hands with soap and water, hand sanitizer doesn't work on everything. I use elderberry gummies instead of emergence c....its got a ton of vitamin c. I also try really hard not to touch my face unless my hands are freshly washed....and I second the paper towels on bathroom doors.
Best post so far. Nothing beats soap and water. We just got back from a two week trip. All five of us stayed healthy including our little ones. This trip I bought two hand soap pumps for each of our two bathrooms. We were always good about hand washing frequently. I think it made a difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter