How strict are age limits for Edge Tween Club?

Luckymommatoo

Mouseketeer
My parents generously want to take their kids and grandkids on a Disney cruise in 2014. I noticed that the Edge club says ages 11 to 13. Well, my son will be 10 and 10 months. His closest cousin will have just turned 11. Will they let my son in? (FWIW, he's a tall kid who easily passes for older.) Thanks!
-e

Yes they will let him in, just go see the Edge counselor when you get onboard and you just have to sign a form saying its ok. Just know that if he picks the Edge he won't be able to got to the Lab but it doesn't sound like that is an issue. Enjoy!

Sorry, but it's not a definite. It depends on the cruise and the staff and how many kids are on the ship in each club according to the posted ages. On our 3/23/13 Fantasy we were told and observed others being told that they were not allowing 10 yos into the Edge or 13 yos into the Vibe. Don't count on it. The 11 yo will be able to go to the lab with the 10 yo, however, without any issue since they are both in that age range. How old they look isn't what matters since they have the BC/PP information from the boarding documents to confirm how old everyone is.

Sorry, but it's not a definite. It depends on the cruise and the staff and how many kids are on the ship in each club according to the posted ages. On our 3/23/13 Fantasy we were told and observed others being told that they were not allowing 10 yos into the Edge or 13 yos into the Vibe. Don't count on it. The 11 yo will be able to go to the lab with the 10 yo, however, without any issue since they are both in that age range. How old they look isn't what matters since they have the BC/PP information from the boarding documents to confirm how old everyone is.

We were on the Fantasy on the 4/6/13 cruise and there was absolutely no problem with 10 year olds getting into the Edge. In fact, my DD turned 10 on the cruise and the counselors told us that if she didn't like the Lab, she could come to the Edge on the morning that she turned 10 and they would get her registered there (she didn't do it, however). My 12 year old said there were quite a few 10 year olds in the Edge. I even overheard a counselor telling a child that she could go back and forth between the Lab and the Edge, she just needed to take her Lab bracelet off if she wanted to go to the Edge. DD12 said that she saw a different person wearing her Lab bracelet in the Edge and no one cared. :confused3

So, there are lots of conflicting reports on how this is being handled. I would guess that the number and ages of kids on each cruise is the deciding factor.

I would guess that the number and ages of kids on each cruise is the deciding factor.

That is exactly what the CM I spoke with said. I asked because of all the questions here and DS14 was trying to decide between the Edge & Vibe. He didn't want to be in edge if there were going to be 10 yos and all the 13 yos were going to be in Vibe. He also was able to go to both the Edge & Vibe since he is 14, which is different than past cruises where you had to choose one or the other [for the lab from our experience with both kids]. That's why I posted not to go on the cruise counting on it being okay because it is going to depend on that cruise's numbers.

Also I asked about the bracelets for the Edge on Fantasy and was told they decided to not use them because they were just having to replace them all the time. Friends who just got back from the Wonder said their DD had to wear a bracelet for the Edge.

Just our experience but we were on a "busy" spring break cruise and the counselors didn't seem to have any issue with allowing a 10 year old in. They say that they will "watch" them to ensure a good fit but if you're asking for them to go because of family or friends it won't be an issue.

On busy sailings (holidays or due to KSF) they will enforce the rules. Otherwise, they'll recommend you try the appropriate aged club first and then come back.

Then it becomes the whole issue about should you allow him/her to do it based on level of maturity... There's no tracking nor restrictions in entering/leaving Edge, and many of the activities revolve out of the area unsupervised (scavenger's hunt for example). There's also interactions with Vibe (gender wars I think). So answer yourself this question: "would I feel comfortable with my kid roaming around the ship alone or with other tweens?"

As an option, there's another option aimed at the 8-13 group and revolves more around sports - Out and About is it? can't remember...

You might also find that the 11-year old prefers to have Lab time. My DD was well into 12 before she finally totally settled at Edge being her "thing". We were fortunate to be on a cruise where they did allow the 11's to go to Lab if there was space. Even post-"enforcement" policy, this seemed to be one of the few ages where they allowed some flexibility if there was space.

This is a YMMV thing. We were told my 10 yo DS could not go to Edge, but 12 year old DD could go to the Lab if she wanted, but not both. She ditched her brother.:rotfl:

Kids in the same grade at school differ in age of 1 year...and 2 years if a child was held back or one started early. So I would think "grade level" would be a better metric to keep kids among peers. Just a thought.

Kids in the same grade at school differ in age of 1 year...and 2 years if a child was held back or one started early. So I would think "grade level" would be a better metric to keep kids among peers. Just a thought.

While I agree with this, unfortunately Disney doesn't have access to official grade level information for the children - but does have their DOB due to immigration requirements for sailing. So I think age will always be the deciding factor. I'm encourage that the age groups are more akin to school assignment now (Elementary, Middle, High) - my DD will be 11 and between Elementary and Middle when we sail in the summer. I'm hoping she can swap between the Lab and the Vibe because I know she'll have friends that are aged for both - and being between school levels, she'll most likely fit into both groups just fine.

We're having the same issue as the OP. We'll be sailing on the Fantasy next spring break (2014). DD1 will be 12+9mo, DD2 will be 10+10 mo. DD2 is used to being around her sister and friends, so I think she'll be fine from a maturity level.

We originally booked a dummy date on our last cruise and this is our reschedule (done so we could try to get the kids in the same club). We're limited as to the time of the year we can travel due to school and activities, so spring break works best. My husband is a little nit-picky, so he wants me to contact Disney to see what they say about the 10 year old being able to join her sister in the Edge. I'm afraid that if I can't convince him that it will work out, he'll make us move the cruise out to 2015. I trust all of you to tell me the way it REALLY is.

I understand that it's not 100% guaranteed, but what do you all think the chances are of them letting my almost-11 year old hang with her sister in the Edge?

Thanks in advance!!!

The DCL CMs who answer the phone are not going to be the ones making the final decision on the ship, so really that is a waste of time. The girls will definitely be able to hang out together in the Lab. There is a chance that the 10y10m will be able to go to the Edge, but that won't be known until the guest list is finalized and the CMs onboard know how many kids are in each group. As I posted, our experience during spring break this year was that it was not allowed. Another person has posted that during their cruise the following week it was. Prepare them to be in the lab together and if they get to go to the Edge, that will be a bonus.

We're having the same issue as the OP. We'll be sailing on the Fantasy next spring break (2014). DD1 will be 12+9mo, DD2 will be 10+10 mo. DD2 is used to being around her sister and friends, so I think she'll be fine from a maturity level.

We originally booked a dummy date on our last cruise and this is our reschedule (done so we could try to get the kids in the same club). We're limited as to the time of the year we can travel due to school and activities, so spring break works best. My husband is a little nit-picky, so he wants me to contact Disney to see what they say about the 10 year old being able to join her sister in the Edge. I'm afraid that if I can't convince him that it will work out, he'll make us move the cruise out to 2015. I trust all of you to tell me the way it REALLY is.

I understand that it's not 100% guaranteed, but what do you all think the chances are of them letting my almost-11 year old hang with her sister in the Edge?

Thanks in advance!!!

As mentioned by PP, it's dependent on the CMs working at Edge, and how full the ship is with kids in the proper age groups. If the number of kids on board in the correct age group (11-14) fill up the club space, then a 10 year old (regardless of how close to 11) will not be allowed in. If the number on kids onboard in the correct age group doesn't fill up the club, the CMs there will decide whether or not they will allow it.

I will point out that a 12 year old is also eligible for Oceaneers Club/Lab (ages 3-12), maybe that's an option? Or maybe, each child could have her "own" club?

And don't think your 12 year old will be the only one in the lab. DD is a mature 11 year old who has decided she is going to the lab on our cruise next year at 12 because she loves the lab and knows this will be the last time she can go before she is kicked out. She is on the student council, has had the lead in her school musical 3 years in a row, plays basketball and clarinet and premier/club level soccer, even playing on the U14 team occasionally so she is in no way socially immature. She is confident and mature in that she is going to do what she enjoys and she doesn't care if it is viewed as babyish. Last year at 10 plus she made friends with others her own age in the labs.

On busy sailings (holidays or due to KSF) they will enforce the rules. Otherwise, they'll recommend you try the appropriate aged club first and then come back.

Then it becomes the whole issue about should you allow him/her to do it based on level of maturity... There's no tracking nor restrictions in entering/leaving Edge, and many of the activities revolve out of the area unsupervised (scavenger's hunt for example). There's also interactions with Vibe (gender wars I think). So answer yourself this question: "would I feel comfortable with my kid roaming around the ship alone or with other tweens?"

As an option, there's another option aimed at the 8-13 group and revolves more around sports - Out and About is it? can't remember...

Anyone have more info on this?

Anyone have more info on this?

They are basically pre planned activities at specific times in unsecured programming areas. The Navigator will for instance have a specific time and place to meet for dodge ball and kids show up to participate in the activity. The kids are independent and not checked into the activity and come and go as they please. The activities are generally not concurrent and kids disperse at the end of the activity.

They are basically pre planned activities at specific times in unsecured programming areas. The Navigator will for instance have a specific time and place to meet for dodge ball and kids show up to participate in the activity. The kids are independent and not checked into the activity and come and go as they please. The activities are generally not concurrent and kids disperse at the end of the activity.

In the past, the children must have sign-out privileges in their club to participate. I know when DD was 8 and watching the out-and-about kids making a whirlpool in the Mickey Pool on the wonder at about 9pm, she was bummed we didn't give her sign-out privileges so she could participate! I think she's looking forward to some of these activities now she's 11!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter