How Soon is Too Soon? A March '17 TR *7/6 Brunch at Cali Grill*

Episode XX: We're Going to Hollywood!

The morning of Day 4 brought me to Hollywood Studios. There were Extra Magic Hours from 8:00 AM to 9:00 AM, so I arrived about 7:30. It was already pretty busy, but I've definitely seen worse!

We were let in the tapstyles about 10 minutes before the hour, and held right about here...

DSC_0038_zpsfxx7stl0.jpg

I didn't have a FastPass+ reservation for Toy Story, so I decided to make my way there first.

I absolutely LOVE the details in Pixar Place!

DSC_0040_zpslqxzbwmx.jpg

DSC_0042_zpsjbuioxos.jpg

There were a few characters ready for a meet n' greet!

DSC_0044_zpsu1pwxyzm.jpg

DSC_0063_zpse2igalkv.jpg

The queue was moving quickly...

DSC_0047_zpspafnwitn.jpg

DSC_0049_zpsrmsfv6af.jpg

DSC_0050_zps4jq3330k.jpg

DSC_0052_zpsooe1ktho.jpg

DSC_0056_zpsl1h0dysz.jpg

I'm not a video game person, but I could definitely ride this over and over, although it isn't as much fun when you're by yourself.

I had intended to ride The Great Movie Ride next, however I quickly discovered it wasn't open during Extra Magic Hours.

DSC_0072_zpshy0l0tul.jpg

So I made my way to my all time FAVORITE ride at Disney World. RIP to the Disneyland version.

DSC_0074_zpsmib6eaa7.jpg

The wait time wasn't bad...

DSC_0078_zpst50ljfrm.jpg

But, the place was actually deserted.

DSC_0081_zps9zugitgb.jpg

DSC_0083_zpsoebxe5be.jpg

DSC_0086_zpsxc4cjj04.jpg

I can never make it through this gift shop without buying something. This time it was a luggage tag and fridge magnet.

It was approaching 9:00 at this time, so I made my way back to the great movie ride, after pausing to do some more shopping.

The Great Movie Ride is one of my all time favorites! It was a bit of an eerie moment, because as I was watching the film presentation in the queue, I said to myself "Wow, Robert Osborne must really be getting up there in age!" I remember him being rather aged when I was a young kid and my parents and grandparents would watch TCM every Saturday night. It was a great childhood memory, and I paused for a moment to reflect on it. Mr. Osborne passed away the very next day - he was 85.

I was hoping to catch a glimpse of Belle's dress from the live-action Beauty and the Beast - however, it had unfortunately been replaced with this relic from Raiders of the Lost Ark(?) or some other Indiana Jones movie...

DSC_0105_zpsorlohtdg.jpg

Not quite the same...

When we were being seated, I asked for the end of a row (so I could take pictures) and was lucky enough to be given the entire back row to myself.

DSC_0111_zpsd6bglh30.jpg

DSC_0115_zpsl4xbrq3q.jpg

I'm not sure why, but this particular scene gives me nightmares. Perhaps I read Nightmare of the Living Dummy too many times as a kid? But seriously...can you imagine if all of these came to life at night when the ride was closed?

DSC_0118_zpsntn0xt5b.jpg

And one of things I miss most about Streets of America was the Singin' in the Rain umbrella. I'm glad this scene remains in the ride...

DSC_0121_zpssfbvbjvo.jpg

I've been told there are two potential scenes where your driver gets switched out in this ride. A mob scene, and a cowboy scene. I've only ever seen the mob scene in literally dozens of rides on the Great Movie Ride.

DSC_0143_zpswcirx5io.jpg

I'm never able to get good pictures of the Alien or the Tarzan scene, but I got this great shot in Munchkin Land...

DSC_0224_zpsodirvilz.jpg

DSC_0248_zpsgkwerutu.jpg

After the Great Movie Ride, it was time to head over to my brunch reservation at California Grill. I was REALLY looking forward to this!

I've never noticed this detail before. Awesome!

I had intended to ride The Great Movie Ride next, however I quickly discovered it wasn't open during Extra Magic Hours.

DSC_0072_zpshy0l0tul.jpg

Shoot, that's where I would have headed next, too!

I'm not sure why, but this particular scene gives me nightmares. Perhaps I read Nightmare of the Living Dummy too many times as a kid? But seriously...can you imagine if all of these came to life at night when the ride was closed?

DSC_0118_zpsntn0xt5b.jpg

You're right, it's totally creepy. My mom and I always used to watch A Mom For Christmas every year, and it has a similar concept, but the mannequins aren't supposed to be creepy...I still find they are though.

I've been told there are two potential scenes where your driver gets switched out in this ride. A mob scene, and a cowboy scene. I've only ever seen the mob scene in literally dozens of rides on the Great Movie Ride.

Yeah, I think they typically only run one scene at a time (mob scene) when it's slow, so it makes sense that's the one most people seem to see more of. But apparently you can ask when you go to ride if they're running both scenes and if they are you can request to wait for a particular one because they just alternate one ride vehicle at a time. I'm thinking of doing this on our next trip since Nathan's only seen the mob scene.

Glad you got to take advantage of EMH we've only gotten the cowboy maybe twice over the years.
Love ToT my favorite ride.
Love your pictures from TGMR especially from the Wizard of OZ.

Last edited:
but I could definitely ride this over and over, although it isn't as much fun when you're by yourself.
I will beg to differ with you on this one! I rode 4x by myself last November, and had the line not gotten riddiculous, I would have gone for 5....I may have an obsession!
Also, are you not a rollercoaster fan that you skipped RnR?

Yeah, I think they typically only run one scene at a time (mob scene) when it's slow, so it makes sense that's the one most people seem to see more of. But apparently you can ask when you go to ride if they're running both scenes and if they are you can request to wait for a particular one because they just alternate one ride vehicle at a time. I'm thinking of doing this on our next trip since Nathan's only seen the mob scene.

This is great to know! I'll remember this for our December trip!

Glad you got to take advantage of EMH we've only gotten the cowboy maybe twice over the years.
Love ToT my favorite ride.
Love your pictures from TGMR especially from the Wizard of OZ.

ToT is definitely my favorite. On Spring Break one year (ages ago!) a friend and I went to Disneyland. We rode ToT 10 times in a row, because there was NO line (it was raining pretty hard, but no lightning). It was an amazing experience.

I will beg to differ with you on this one! I rode 4x by myself last November, and had the line not gotten riddiculous, I would have gone for 5....I may have an obsession!
Also, are you not a rollercoaster fan that you skipped RnR?

That's a great question - RnR is by far my favorite roller coaster! I guess I was feeling a little weird about riding solo, likely because I scream bloody murder when I ride (in a good, I'm having so much fun, kinda way). The wait time was also posted at 90 minutes by the time I got to ToT - where it remained the rest of the day.

Episode XXI: Brunch at Cali Grill

It was a quick and easy drive from Hollywood Studios to the Contemporary. I checked in at the gate house, had my Magic Band scanned and was told valet parking was included in the price of the meal. Below is an excerpt from my blog, reviewing my experience at California Grill.

isbi_fullxfull.1268452845_ke5bpiqy.jpg

One of the most exciting additions to the Disney World dining rotation in recent years was that Disney has finally gotten into the brunch game. I was lucky enough to secure a relatively last minute reservation to brunch at California Grill on a recent trip, and the experience was great!

This brunch isn't cheap! The current pricing is $80 per adult and $48 for ages 3-11 or two table service credits if using the Disney Dining Plan. Included in the price is one alcoholic beverage (for guests 21 and over) and valet parking.

If you've been lucky enough to have dinner at California Grill, you'll notice the experience at brunch begins the same way. You'll check in on the 2nd floor of the Contemporary Resort, before you're whisked away in a private elevator to the 14th floor. As you exit the elevator, you're greeted with complimentary mimosas and live music.

You'll be shown to your table and presented with a menu for the a la carte offerings. My picture of the menu didn't turn out the greatest, but you can view the full menu here.

isbi_fullxfull.1221237014_jf1g6d1q.jpg

After you make your a la carte selections (which are unlimited) you are able to make your way to the buffet.

First up, you'll find a make-your-own Bloody Mary bar. The cost of Bloody Marys is not included in the price of brunch, but the offerings were high-quality and plentiful, making it worth the added price.

For vodka, you could choose from Belvedere, Belvedere Bloody Mary, or Absolut Peppar.

Being a Wisconsin gal, I consider myself to be well-versed in all things Bloody Mary, particularly when it comes to garnish - California Grill will not leave you disappointed. The selections during my visit included cheddar cheese, candied bacon, bleu cheese stuffed olives, salami, pepperoncini, lemons, green beans, onions, pickles, pickled carrots and pickled cauliflower...

isbi_fullxfull.1221280404_3lcw8cg3.jpg

As well as these beautiful Florida Gulf Shrimp:

isbi_fullxfull.1268505207_fg99q4u7.jpg

The Bloody Mary's are served in a hurricane glass, and with the array of garnishes to choose from, they are truly a feast in a glass.

Moving along the buffet, you're greeted by an amazing array of charcuterie.

isbi_fullxfull.1268511805_73w6n7c3.jpg

Selections included: Napoli Salami, Serrano, Wagyu Sausage, Venison Terrine, Pork Belly Rillettes, Dijon Mustard, Zellwood Pickles, Sweet Onion Jam, and Sweet Drop Peppers. There was also blue cheese, Tillamook cheddar and gruyere.

One of the highlights of brunch were the sushi offerings. They matched the quality and freshness that's expected from the sushi offered at dinner - although they were less inventive.

First up were California Rolls:

isbi_fullxfull.1221292714_onmce3vo.jpg

I promise, this will be the freshest and bestCalifornia Rolls you will ever have!

You can also select from Salmon, Tuna and Hamachi Nigiri, or a Spicy Tuna Roll.

isbi_fullxfull.1221298894_9b2wi89w.jpg

Rounding out your sushi options is the Shrimp Tempura roll with mango and orange drizzle.

isbi_fullxfull.1268524505_inkiqvdg.jpg

One of my favorite items was the Deviled Eggs with crispy lardons and spiced aioli:

isbi_fullxfull.1221307440_p52idnh6.jpg

There is also a nice selection of salads:

isbi_fullxfull.1268528019_7hsbzi6u.jpg

Fregola Salad: Israeli Couscous, sauteed vegetables, lemon vinaigrette and Florida hearts of palm.

isbi_fullxfull.1221309106_he91tosu.jpg

Baby Iceberg Wedge: with marinated tomatoes, cherry wood bacon, avocado buttermilk ranch and blue cheese crumbles.

isbi_fullxfull.1268534499_8awm374b.jpg

Pear & Golden Raisin Spinach Salad with Vanilla Vinaigrette

The buffet is rounded out with traditional breakfast staples:

isbi_fullxfull.1268574613_3dhz6evh.jpg

There is hardwood smoked salmon with capers, cream cheese and red onions (not pictured), Greek yogurt with granola, honey and fruit, bagels, and a variety of fresh fruit.

You'll also find a selection of breakfast pastries:

isbi_fullxfull.1268577111_18r2w6ec.jpg

My selections included gluten-free scones, sticky buns and cheddar biscuits.

I started with a selection of sushi - and by a selection, I mean I sampled all of it.

isbi_fullxfull.1268583283_2hvksv9q.jpg

This was all delicious and amazing. Honestly, I would have been thrilled with having just the buffet offerings, and skipping the entree all together.

isbi_fullxfull.1221361854_hmvplzi3.jpg

Your waiter will bring you chopsticks and a plate of pickled ginger, soy and wasabi.

Next up, I decided to try some of the charcuterie.

isbi_fullxfull.1268588451_b1obarhg.jpg

I greatly enjoyed the onion jam, pickles, cheese, salami and prosciutto. I was looking forward to the Wagyu sausage and venison terrine. Unfortunately - I didn't care for either of them. They just didn't have a lot of flavor - shockingly.

The service here was very attentive and my server checked in with me to ask if I was ready for my entree.

isbi_fullxfull.1268604889_kbxd9xhj.jpg

I decided to order the Poached Lobster Eggs Benedict with Butter-Poached Tail, Two Soft-Poached Eggs, Honey Ham and Yuzu Hollandaise.

This was really tasty - although I found it a little strange to have the ham and the lobster together at once. I ate all of it (you do get two muffins per order, I only took a picture of one). The hollandaise was excellent and was both citrusy and buttery.

I was beyond stuffed, but still had to have dessert:

isbi_fullxfull.1268608649_mohoaygi.jpg

For dessert I received a Salted-Toffee Brittle, Coconut Macaroon, Raspberry White Chocolate truffle and:

isbi_fullxfull.1268612643_2yq8c9sg.jpg

A strawberry linzer cookie and French madeleine.

It was a perfect and sweet ending to an incredible meal!

Wow! That is a ton of food. It all looks so good, but I know my appetite and I would be full just off the buffet offerings! LOL! I wish they offered a reduced price to just eat that without an a la carte plate ;)

Episode XXI: Brunch at Cali Grill

I've been waiting for this review! And wow, it looks amazing!

After you make your a la carte selections (which are unlimited)

I've heard of people choosing two entrees and getting funny looks for it, but if it's unlimited I would totally do that if I couldn't choose!

I promise, this will be the freshest and bestCalifornia Rolls you will ever have!

They look amazing. :)

I started with a selection of sushi - and by a selection, I mean I sampled all of it.

isbi_fullxfull.1268583283_2hvksv9q.jpg

This was all delicious and amazing. Honestly, I would have been thrilled with having just the buffet offerings, and skipping the entree all together.

Wow! Yeah, from what I've heard Cali Grill knows how to do sushi. The whole buffet looks so fancy and delish!

This was really tasty - although I found it a little strange to have the ham and the lobster together at once. I ate all of it (you do get two muffins per order, I only took a picture of one). The hollandaise was excellent and was both citrusy and buttery.

Looks amazing. Though I would agree that I wouldn't expect to have both ham and lobster. Interesting.

Just started following along and caught up to current this morning. A great read! Also, I live in Kewaskum, WI (90 minutes south of you) but my in-laws live in Howard and we visit them frequently. Love the GB area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter