How Soon is Too Soon? A March '17 TR *7/6 Brunch at Cali Grill*

Enjoying your trip report!

I've loved collecting Imagineering books-I always had a dream of becoming an Imagineer, and honestly, if I really really wanted to, I have the contact now that I could probably pull it off. But I prefer instead working for my current company, which has Disney as a client. So that way I get to work on other projects, as well as the occasional Disney project, without ruining all of the magic.

Anyways, here are some books I've loved and keep in a prime spot on my bookshelf:
https://www.amazon.com/Walt-Disney-Imagineering-Behind-Dreams/dp/0786883723
https://www.amazon.com/Disney-Mountains-Imagineering-Its-Peak/dp/1423101553

Thank you so much for the recommendations! These are exactly the types of books I was hoping to find in the gift shops! Such a shame they don't have anything like that there - but I love Amazon!

Excited to hear your thoughts on Tiffins and Rivers of Light! I love the shows in AK - I feel like they are often not raved about as much as they deserve!

I agree! I'm so happy that Animal Kingdom really is a complete morning to evening park now with the addition of Rivers of Light and the Tree of Life Awakenings show!

Episode XVII: Lunch at Tiffins for Rivers of Light

I will be the first to admit, I was REALLY on the fence about Tiffins. We've always found Tusker House to be a supremely solid breakfast option, Yak & Yeti to be an awesome place for lunch and Sanaa to be a fabulous dinner option - so it just hasn't fit in and the menu didn't sound all that appealing to me.

However, with Rivers of Light announced just 2 weeks before my trip, with dining packages released - I knew I wanted to make sure to guarantee myself a seat, with it being relatively unknown what the demand would be for the show and how weekend crowds (I was there on a Saturday) would effect this as well.

I just could not muster the courage to do a character meal solo, so Tiffins it was.

DSC_0437_zpsiuvqxmmx.jpg

HUGE spoiler alert - Tiffins was the BEST meal of my trip. Not only was the food divine, but I found the restaurant to be a beautiful oasis on a hot, crowded park day. My server, Frankie, was an absolute doll and I was disappointed to hear she only is there a day or two a week. I sung her praises when the manager stopped by my table and she commented she wished she could have her there full time.

Now, on to the important things - the meal!

Now, even though I only had the standard dining plan for this trip, the Rivers of Light package does include an appetizer - similar to Mama Melrose at Hollywood Studios for the Fantasmic package.

I've been known to pick restaurants in the past based on the quality of the bread basket. So, I decided to start with...

DSC_0448_zpszfvgfllb.jpg

DSC_0449_zps7g4ullwc.jpg

Tiffins Signature Bread Service - Harissa Yogurt, Zhough Yogurt, Black-Eyed Pea Hummus $10

On the day of my visit, this was also served with a passion fruit vinegar and olive oil mix (6 o'clock in the sauces).

I greatly enjoyed this. The bread itself had raisins in it, but had a bit of spice to it. All of the sauces were extremely flavorful. The Zhough yogurt was supposed to be spicy, but I found it to be relatively mild. It's pretty hard to make black eyed pea hummus exciting, but this one was seasoned really well.

A super hearty starter and perfect for a hot day.

For my entrée, I was having a really hard time deciding between the Duck, Duo of Lamb or the Wagyu strip loin. I asked Frankie for her advice - she said the Wagyu was her favorite, followed by the duck and then the lamb.

I must have really been hangry for duck, because that's what I went with. The dish was absolutely beautiful!

DSC_0451_zpsauguxaho.jpg

Pan-seared Duck Breast - Leg Confit, Alba Clamshells, Parsnip Puree, Truffle Reduction, Huckleberry Compote $39 (The menu must have recently been modified, because mine was served with lima beans, almonds and mushrooms in place of the alba clamshells).

This was AMAZING. Hands down the best entrée I had my entire trip. The parsnip puree was rich and velvety and the duck paired beautifully with the huckleberry compote and truffle reduction.

My mouth is actually watering thinking about this now, and its almost two months later.

For dessert, I again was pretty indifferent, so asked Frankie for her favorite which was the chocolate ganache. I am not much of a chocolate dessert fan, and was looking for something a little lighter so she recommended the lime cheesecake, which is what I went with.

DSC_0463_zpscyogitro.jpg

Lime Cheesecake - Almond-Sesame Tuile, Green Tea Sponge $10

This was also very tasty and light, and I loved the mango with it. In the end - the dessert was the least memorable part of the meal, but was still great and I wouldn't hesitate to order it again.

The meal is finished off with a print of a sketch done by Joe Rohde. I'm sure you know who he is, but just in case you don't - he designed Animal Kingdom park, including Pandora as well as Tiffins restaurant. He's an absolute genius, and I thought this was a nice touch to show his connection not only to Tiffins - but to Animal Kingdom.

11AB726B-3C52-4521-B330-07DD67344C2C_zpsm5ew5bpr.jpg

DB44AAD6-4941-47FD-88B6-547B1A35305D_zpszdfo5lqx.jpg

At lunch, I realized that my camera battery was running a little lower than I liked - and I don't have a second battery for this camera yet. Given that I had crossed everything off my Animal Kingdom bucket list for the day, I headed back to the resort for a few hours to recharge (both camera and myself) for the rest of the night.

On my way back into the park, I realized that I forgot the MOST important thing I needed for the night - my ticket to Rivers of Light for the dining package. I switched from my normal bag to my DSLR bag for the night so I could bring along my 300mm lens. I was SO upset with myself and knew that I was probably arriving too late to get a great seat waiting standby, so after I made my way back through security, I made a detour back to Tiffins, hoping they would take mercy on me.

Up Next: Does Tiffins save the day? And Rivers of Light

The meal is finished off with a print of a sketch done by Joe Rohde. I'm sure you know who he is, but just in case you don't - he designed Animal Kingdom park, including Pandora as well as Tiffins restaurant. He's an absolute genius, and I thought this was a nice touch to show his connection not only to Tiffins - but to Animal Kingdom.

I loved getting a sketch as well!

Episode XVIII: Please, Have Mercy On Me + Rivers of Light

I made it back to Tiffins and explained my situation to the host. Without even asking for the name on the reservation - he reached into a drawer and retrieved a replacement Rivers of Light Ticket.

ADB4A6E7-9815-422B-8C7A-5BFBB44FD78A_zpsnhhty2vf.jpg

While the ticket said to arrive 15-35 minutes before - I arrived more like 45-50 minutes early. There was already a really solid number of people inside the theater.

DSC_0822_zps7g3rfua5.jpg

The sun was just starting to set at this point.

Without 15 minutes to go before show time...you can see the FastPass+ area was almost completely full. I had to opt for the dining package because despite being (what I thought was) Johnny on the Spot, going to book a FastPass+ around 12 the day they announced ROL was FINALLY happening - they were completely reserved for my dates.

DSC_0845_zpsjtswsri5.jpg

This show was visually stunning. By far the most beautiful of the nighttime shows. I'll let the photos do the talking on this one.

DSC_0864_zpsmtlbuppo.jpg

DSC_0867_zpsw4phtv5c.jpg

DSC_0870_zpsii3ivgow.jpg

DSC_0877_zpswugvrmoj.jpg

DSC_0888_zpsgyaiqxko.jpg

DSC_0943_zpslf81hknl.jpg

DSC_0949_zpsn9xke1es.jpg

DSC_0952_zpsrdwxc9wu.jpg

DSC_0956_zpsfjh3dv4e.jpg

DSC_0960_zpscpwtbvwk.jpg

So. My final thoughts on Rivers of Light (small spoiler alerts ahead - so you may want to skip ahead if you haven't seen the show and want to be surprised).
Last chance!

The show is gorgeous and beautiful to look at. The soundtrack is incredible! I hope at some point you're able to purchase it online - I loved it! What I felt was lacking was some sort of storyline or narration. Animal Kingdom was built up around the concept of conservation and environmental awareness. Was Disney avoiding capturing this sort of dialogue in the show because they didn't want to offend anyone? Perhaps. Its still a great show to watch - and I'll certainly go back and see it again because it is just SO pretty - but I wish there was more background and some sort of message you walked away with.

Anyway, those are just my two cents on it. I hope everyone else goes to see at least once.

Reactions: DLo
HUGE spoiler alert - Tiffins was the BEST meal of my trip. Not only was the food divine, but I found the restaurant to be a beautiful oasis on a hot, crowded park day.

We were also SO impressed with Tiffins. Great review! I'm glad your meal was so delicious and memorable.

This is such a neat touch. We've kept our sketch as a valued souvenir from the trip. I think it's awesome that Joe Rohde is getting more and more recognition for the true genius that he is. :)

The show is gorgeous and beautiful to look at. The soundtrack is incredible! I hope at some point you're able to purchase it online - I loved it! What I felt was lacking was some sort of storyline or narration.

I've heard this as well!! We're looking forward to seeing it this summer for the visual appeal, but I don't expect it's the kind of show that will stick with me the same way some of the others do because of their plot or message.

We were also SO impressed with Tiffins. Great review! I'm glad your meal was so delicious and memorable.

This is such a neat touch. We've kept our sketch as a valued souvenir from the trip. I think it's awesome that Joe Rohde is getting more and more recognition for the true genius that he is. :)

I've heard this as well!! We're looking forward to seeing it this summer for the visual appeal, but I don't expect it's the kind of show that will stick with me the same way some of the others do because of their plot or message.

So glad to keep hearing great experiences about Tiffins! I would NOT have tried this if it weren't for the dining package - it's such a hidden gem! I was concerned with the opening of Pandora that Tiffins would become overcrowded - but when we walked by Saturday, Nomad's Lounge was a dead zone.

While the ticket said to arrive 15-35 minutes before - I arrived more like 45-50 minutes early. There was already a really solid number of people inside the theater.
Our tickets said that too, and we knew we had to get there a little earlier. We finished dinner about an hour before the show and our server advised us to head straight there which we were planning on anyway, but I think it's strange the tickets say a time where it wouldn't be possible to get a seat.

I loved the music too!

Sorry I'm late to the party but thoroughly enjoying your trip report.
I'm Tammy from Delaware I work as a secretary in the medical field and our next trip is in 161 days. My favorite part of travel day is when we pass under the Welcome to Disney sign :cloud9:

Your pictures are wonderful. I love when Disney offers either early morning or after hours park time. Lately we haven't been able to take advantage due to my youngest DD's college. We usually travel during peak times her Spring Break and Thanksgiving. I've given up many PPO breakfast when they extend the park hours to 8:00am. I agree for what you can get done the price is worth it.
I'm sorry about the rude adults during the parade unfortunately this is becoming more common :sad2:
Totally agree it isn't vacation without a fabulous :drinking1like Lapu Lapu or the Grand Marnier slushie in France :thumbsup2
So glad you were able to see Wishes again. Even though we will miss this show HHE is amazing. We attended the Tomorrowland Terrace dessert party a few weeks ago and loved it.
A perfect park day Safari, FOTLK and Finding Nemo.

Our tickets said that too, and we knew we had to get there a little earlier. We finished dinner about an hour before the show and our server advised us to head straight there which we were planning on anyway, but I think it's strange the tickets say a time where it wouldn't be possible to get a seat.

I loved the music too!
I was hoping they had updated this since I was there. On this trip, I was there within a week of the opening of Rivers of Light so assumed they were working through some kinks.

The good news is that this theater isn't as 'tall' as say the one for Fantasmic. I actually don't think there are really bad seats in there thankfully, but it was definitely a full house for the performance I was at.

I actually did find the Rivers of Light soundtrack today on iTunes! I was SOO excited I did a little dance in my office at work.

Your pictures are wonderful. I love when Disney offers either early morning or after hours park time. Lately we haven't been able to take advantage due to my youngest DD's college. We usually travel during peak times her Spring Break and Thanksgiving. I've given up many PPO breakfast when they extend the park hours to 8:00am. I agree for what you can get done the price is worth it.
I'm sorry about the rude adults during the parade unfortunately this is becoming more common :sad2:
Totally agree it isn't vacation without a fabulous :drinking1like Lapu Lapu or the Grand Marnier slushie in France :thumbsup2
So glad you were able to see Wishes again. Even though we will miss this show HHE is amazing. We attended the Tomorrowland Terrace dessert party a few weeks ago and loved it.
A perfect park day Safari, FOTLK and Finding Nemo.

How was the dessert party? We haven't done it in years. I wasn't crazy about the view at the Terrace. At the time, unless you were willing to stand and make sure you were in the front row - the view was pretty obstructed due to the roof. I felt like the whole point is so you didn't have to stand and stake out a good spot so was a little disappointed. The desserts were also meh at the time. The only thing I enjoyed were the chocolate covered strawberries and pistachio crème brulee. I believe the brulee is long gone.

Interested to hear your thoughts on how the desserts are now though. I think the last time we did this one was in 2012 - so its definitely been awhile. My friend did the plaza garden one a few weeks ago and said they felt the view there was much better.

How was the dessert party? We haven't done it in years. I wasn't crazy about the view at the Terrace. At the time, unless you were willing to stand and make sure you were in the front row - the view was pretty obstructed due to the roof. I felt like the whole point is so you didn't have to stand and stake out a good spot so was a little disappointed. The desserts were also meh at the time. The only thing I enjoyed were the chocolate covered strawberries and pistachio crème brulee. I believe the brulee is long gone.

Interested to hear your thoughts on how the desserts are now though. I think the last time we did this one was in 2012 - so its definitely been awhile. My friend did the plaza garden one a few weeks ago and said they felt the view there was much better.
I agree the last time we did the dessert party we had a table for 2 at the railing but everyone stood up and stood in front of our table :sad2:
This time they only have tables at the railing and I thought our view was great we could see all the projections except for at the very bottom of the castle. The projections continually move up so it wasn't a problem for us.The desserts were good and they had a few non dessert items which was nice. I'm sure the Plaza area view is better but my DD has a congenital spinal condition and is unable to stand for long periods of time.

I agree the last time we did the dessert party we had a table for 2 at the railing but everyone stood up and stood in front of our table :sad2:
This time they only have tables at the railing and I thought our view was great we could see all the projections except for at the very bottom of the castle. The projections continually move up so it wasn't a problem for us.The desserts were good and they had a few non dessert items which was nice. I'm sure the Plaza area view is better but my DD has a congenital spinal condition and is unable to stand for long periods of time.

I'm glad to hear they've adjusted the seating here! We had the exact same thing happen to us too.

For our December trip I'm having a hard time deciding between this party or the Illuminations one in Epcot.

I'm glad to hear they've adjusted the seating here! We had the exact same thing happen to us too.

For our December trip I'm having a hard time deciding between this party or the Illuminations one in Epcot.
I have pics of our table and view just let me know.

Enjoyed reading about your experience at Tiffins. We are heading down in a few weeks and I kind of want to experience Rivers of Light with out any spoilers so I didn't read much, but glad to hear about the dining package and how well it works. We have a FP, so good to know I need to be there early!

Enjoyed reading about your experience at Tiffins. We are heading down in a few weeks and I kind of want to experience Rivers of Light with out any spoilers so I didn't read much, but glad to hear about the dining package and how well it works. We have a FP, so good to know I need to be there early!

Glad you're avoiding spoilers! I did the same before this trip, and had to avoid pretty much the entire internet leading up to my June trip because I didn't want to see ANY of Pandora. I'm so glad I did!

I don't think there are any bad seats for Rivers of Light - but it was definitely a full house when I was there. If getting really good pictures is important, you'll want to get there early.

It's been awhile since we've done Fantasmic, but if I had to guess, I'd say there's about a third of the seats. Definitely a more intimate setting.

Episode XIX: Dinner at Sanaa

One of my favorite meals from recent trips was a dinner at Sanaa. I'm so glad to see it's popularity increasing - it's well deserved given the amazing quality of food.

I hadn't planned on having a meal here this trip, but I was able to secure a last minute reservation at 8:30. With Rivers of Light at 7:30, I definitely had to hustle, but it was so worth it!

Arriving at the lobby of Kidani Village is not quite as grand as Jambo House, but it's still beautiful.

DSC_0031_1_zpsxr11n1go.jpg

I did have quite a wait past my ADR time - but once I was finally seated, the fun could begin.

I started with a class of Cabernet. I wish I could remember what it was, but I do remember it was awesome.

My main reason for going to Sanaa was the bread service. For $13, you can choose three dipping sauces (from a total of 9 different choices). For a mere $2 more, you can get all 9. Obviously - you know what I decided to start with.

DSC_0022_1_zps65fp1akb.jpg

Indian Style Bread Service - Choice of 3 breads and 3 accompaniments $13; get all 9 accompaniments for $15;
Breads - Naan, Garlic Ginger Naan, Spiced Naan, Onion Kulcha, Paneer Paratha
Accompaniments - Red Chile Sambal, Cucumber Raita, Coriander Chutney, Mango Chutney, Tomato-Date Jam, Garlic Pickle, Spicy Jalapeno-lime pickle, Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, Tamarind Chutney

They're kind enough to order your sauces from mild to hot - starting with the cucumber raita in the top left, meeting in the middle at the bottom of the board with the tomato-date jam and coriander chutney, and working back up to the spicy jalapeno-lime pickle in the top right.

DSC_0023_1_zpsjcp63oqh.jpg

I would have been completely satisfied with just this for dinner - but decided to try a little something new as well.

DSC_0028_1_zpsqj6frxkn.jpg

Potjie Inspired
Choose one from the Journey - Goan Seafood Curry, Butter Chicken, Braised Beef, or Spicy Durban Shrimp. Choose on from the Harvest - Roasted Okra, Cashew and Tomato Stew, Chickpea Wat, Aloo Masala, Paneer Tikka, Lentil Dhal, or Cilantro-Coconut Milk Seasonal Vegetables. Served with scented Basmati Rice; $26

From The Journey I chose the Butter Chicken. From The Harvest, I chose the Paneer Tikka. Both are great dishes to start with for someone who is hesitant to branch out at Sanaa.

The basmati rice is served with pickled veggies on top and lemon yogurt on the side. Normally, you'd use the yogurt to mellow out some of the spice in your dish - but both of these dishes are mild, although well-seasoned.

I took the leftover sauce from these dishes and leftover naan for a snack the next day.

I was definitely too full for dessert, even though I love their Chai cream here.

Before heading back to Pop, I stopped at the gift shop to pick up some wine - I wanted to give something from South Africa a try. Unfortunately, no one at the gift shop knew anything about any of the wines there - not even if they were sweet or dry. I took a gamble and went with the Chenin Blanc - which can be either sweet or dry. Turns out this one was very dry, but it was light, crisp and refreshing on a hot night. Always being the epitome of class myself, I drank this straight from the bottle, in bed, in my pajamas. Hey - I didn't feel like trying to hunt down wine classes and assumed Pop probably wouldn't have any anyway since they don't do room service.

D5565F46-5CB7-4DA2-8355-3D8B373F5BBC_zpsy3c6bscs.jpg

This was a great end to a fabulous day.

Up Next: Hollywood Studios and California Grill Brunch

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter