• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How Old is Too Old For Themed T- Shirts

GOOFY4DONALD

DH finished his plate at 50's Prime Time. They wer
My husband and I love to wear disney tshirts every day of our trip. It gives me a nice project to pass the months waiting for our trip. But how old is too old especially for a boy? My girls hated wearing the shirts but they never felt the disney magic. My son will be 14. I would obviously pick more mature disney scenes and keep the little kids pictures out. He loves disney aND it sounds like he will be bringing along his disney newbie friend. I thought it might be a fun surprise for both of them. Thought?

There's not a specific age, and I don't think it's a matter of "feeling the magic," either. It's really just a matter of personality. Some people love doing it , some people don't.

I wouldn't surprise them with it unless you are absolutely 100% certain they will both be into it. At that age I would have been mortified if someone gave me a themed shirt and expected me to wear it, but I would have been too polite to say so and would have worn it anyway. I would have been even more mortified if my mom gave one to my friend.

Last edited:
Our girls still let us do themed clothing. They are 11 and 8. They promise they will do it forever, but we will see.

At least we still have the 4 month old, LOL!

If the friend is a boy as well....I'm not sure that 14 year old boys want to wear matching shirts anytime (if you were thinking that the shirts would be the same) regardless if they are at Disney or not. I would definitely ask your son if he wants a shirt and if he thinks that his friend wants one first. Could you make fun themed socks or something that could be hidden by their clothing if they don't want everyone to see? I bought my son Disney socks before when he said he didn't want to wear a Disney shirt.

My husband and I love to wear disney tshirts every day of our trip. It gives me a nice project to pass the months waiting for our trip. But how old is too old especially for a boy? My girls hated wearing the shirts but they never felt the disney magic. My son will be 14. I would obviously pick more mature disney scenes and keep the little kids pictures out. He loves disney aND it sounds like he will be bringing along his disney newbie friend. I thought it might be a fun surprise for both of them. Thought?

I would ask him (and his friend) if they want to wear themed t-shirts. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. My daughter never wanted to wear them, my son is now 12 and always wants to. Dh and I both like to wear them.

Maybe they would like to make their own? Look in the creative community board and find the thread on how to make tie dye mickey head t-shirts...they might have fun doing that and want to wear them if they make them.

never too old for disney t-shirts! Maybe starwars type shirt for hollywood studios??

My extended family of 9 is doing themed t-shirts for our upcoming trip, but decided not to do Disney. One day we're all going to wear band/concert shirts and another day we're going to wear Chicago Blackhawks shirts. Everyone liked the common theme idea, but no one wanted Disney ones. The kids in the group are 20, 18, 17, 17 & 12.

I would check with your son first. My oldest was 10, almost 11 on our last trip and he only wore a couple Disney themed shirts - and they were more vintage style ones. He loves Disney to the moon and back but just doesn't feel "cool" sporting a Mickey shirt.

At age 14 there is no way I would have worn Disney T's. Even now I feel pretty goofy (no pun intended!) wearing a Mickey T. But what about Star Wars baseball caps? They are a little subtler than t-shirts and actually needed in the Florida sun.

We have done themed shirts since I was a kid and I have done it with my kids every trip including our upcoming trip(10 days). Our adult friends are coming too and I have them doing it too. So your never to old.

In my family, at about age 12. It's no so much the Mickey t-shirt. They just refused to wear matching family shirts.

For teens, I'd ask them their thoughts. When we went a couple of years ago my 15yo niece only put hers on once for a photo but my 18yo nephew wore his with pride 3 different days! Really depends on the kiddo I'd say.

I'm not sure there is ever a time a whole family should wear matching t-shirts to anything, anywhere, but that's just me.

My 14, almost 15 year old son would not in a million years wear anything that matched me and DH, and if we gave his friend one to wear, I giggle a little when I think of the reaction.

But to each their own. I'd probably do the "unveiling" before the trip....

My boys at this age would never wear whole family shirts, but my middle DS would always wear off beat disney shirts. He is 23 and will still wear them sometimes.

Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't looking for matching shirts. I wouldn't wear those on a bet. I was looking at age appropriate offbeat and quirky shirts that matched the boys' personalities. A pp mentioned redbubble and I took a quick peak. These shirts are so cute. My son loved quite a few of them. I guess if they're too old for tshirts i will have to just get them some autograph books and oversized pens:rolleyes1

Thanks for this thread! It never even occurred to me that my 10 year old might not want to wear the matching shirt! I'll have to ask him. Thanks for the link to redbubble too! My kids would love that Big Hero 6 fist bump shirt! The older two taught our 18 month old to do the fist bump.

DD is 12. While she likes a Disney theme shirt, she is anti-matching. Strongly anti-matching. She will agree to a theme, as long as we aren't too close.

Holy cow redbubble is amazing!!!! I want all the shirts. Kind of wish now I had never read this thread, and could go back to life before I knew redbubble existed.

DS is 10, almost 11. He would not wear brightly colored Disney character shirts right now. BUT, he loves vintage style ones (greys, subtle mickey design, etc.). Also, one of his favorite shirts to wear even to school right now is a grey Hollywood Tower of Terror one I picked up last September at the TOT gift shop.

My daughters and I all still wear themed Disney shirts in the parks. DH - nope.

So, it's definitely a matter of taste and "current phase" they are going through LOL. I'd get their opinions first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter