How often do you guys visit DLR/WDW?

We do WDW about once every other year, but we only get to DL when we're across the country for some other reason (like, a Rose Bowl appearance for our alma mater). The last time I went to DL was early 2004, and before that late 1997. We are visiting this September, but that's part of a longer trip so that our daughter can meet her great-grandfather.

Lucky for all of you that can go so often. For those that are once a year or more often, do you live in driving distance? That's the killer for us...ontop of Disney cost, we need to pay up to $3000 for airfare (depending on Orlando or LA, and time of year)

We usually go once a year. Last year we went twice. We are lucky enough to be close to a small regional airport that flys direct to MCO. Last trip we each flew for $120 round trip. It's so cheap it's hard to say no!

Once or twice a year (to DL). First and only trip to WDW was last year. I'd like to go back to WDW every few years but not sure it'll be feasible.

Lucky for all of you that can go so often. For those that are once a year or more often, do you live in driving distance? That's the killer for us...ontop of Disney cost, we need to pay up to $3000 for airfare (depending on Orlando or LA, and time of year)

DL is 'sort of' driving distance. It's a 7 hour drive but I don't like to fly and driving is so much cheaper than flying. Plus 'door to door' time-wise flying only 'saves' you about 30 mins-1 hour (per Mythbusters).

WDW is the same as you for us. Whilst the actual cost of staying at WDW (resort + tickets) can actually be cheaper than DLR (onsite both places) the cost of the airfare bumps the cost of WDW over the 'Hey, let's do this every year!' category. When we went last year it was part of our annual 6 week RV trip and all things considered it was still cheaper than flying. DH says he'll NEVER do that drive again because of the weather we encountered.

We made our 1st trip to DL in 2012. We had annual passports and went 3 times within that year (1st trip nov, 2nd end of April 2013, 3rd in sept 2013). We loved it so much we bought passes again in 2014 and went nov and the oct 2015. We took 2016 off- DH felt that it isn't as worth it to go with a baby that's old enough to crawl but not walk. (We've done all stages of bringing babies and the crawling baby is the hardest for sure). I agree with him but I'm missing my fall DL trip so much. We plan on buying passes again 2017 (nov I think - April if I can't wait) and then do another trip in 2018. My DH wants to settle into a 2 years annual DL trip with passports and 1 year off but as I said I miss this year's trip so much I'm not sure I'll agree to that while our kids our little. Of course it comes down to $$ too so we'll have to see.
We haven't made it over to WDW - we can drive to DL, the price for flights to WDW for 6 (7 if we wait till the baby is 2) is daunting but so is the 35 hr drive. I'm also not sure it's worth the amount of time we'd have to take off school to go off season (5 kids ages 8, 6, 4, 2, 0 right now)and then how much more walking it is and how far away the hotels are from the parks for midday naps with young kids. But it is something I want to do - I just have to figure out the best ages to take us all to WDW.

Much like StormyCA just said, we're 333 miles away, so it's about 6.5 hours drive time when we go. That's not too bad. As for trips to DL, we tried once a year but found DLR needed to be visited more to really appreciate it. Due to the size of the parks, any refurbs really work against you on a trip (vs WDW which has so much to do despite refurbs). So we found getting APs, making two week long trips a year apart, and adding a few small trips inbetween made the DLR experience worth it.

As for WDW, before we became a family of 5, we'd go about every 1.5-2 years (7 trips in 10.5 year span). And while I miss the WDW immersion experience a lot, it'll cost us $2k to fly (vs. $100 drive to DL). So we just don't go to Orlando anymore. If I maybe made more, or if I wasn't so money conscience, we'd go there instead for sure. In fact, staying at WDW (with discounts or free dining) is actually a bit cheaper than DL. But the airfare pushes it way over the top. Of course, I probably end up spending just as much with the multiple trips to DL.

We're by downtown San Diego. It's 90 miles door to door and we're in the parks about 25x a year. Usually a 2-day overnight stay, occasionally a one day trip up and back balanced by occasional 2 night stays.

Only been to WDW once, exactly 4 years ago. Glad we went but wasn't impressed (with the parks.) The resort was lovely but if we're shooting for a resort-style vacation, Hawaii here we come :)

Now that I have a pass again, it will be 4 - 8 visits. Most of those are only for the day or a one night stay. I have a longer visit planned in December, though. I'm about a 90 min drive away, depending on traffic.

I will probably avoid the parks when Star Wars land opens for a year or 2.

We go once a week, sometimes a little less, sometimes more!
We've been to WDW once and while I absolutely loved our trip I have no desire to hurry back. Disneyland is just so much better!! We are heading there today, I'll let you all know how the crowds are.....I hate Mondays but hopefully today will be ok!

I go as often as possible...but, I also live in southern California, so I don't have to pay for plane tickets. We go at least once a year, often twice. If we can afford it (which most often we cannot anymore with our family size and the crazy cost), we get APs some years. Last year (we had APs), I took over 30 trips. Yep, I'm a Disneyland addict.

EDIT to add I have only been to WDW once and that was 16 years ago. I plan to go again in 2021. For us, the cost of flying across country is what keeps us from going. That might change if I ever pay off my student loans.

Usually once a week. I have been to WDW twice, and plan to go every few years. I am with grnflash, if we are looking for a resort type experience, we go to Hawaii.

I visit DLR about every other week (I live 10-miles away) sometimes more. I also visit WDW between two and four times a year. I also get my Disney fix by also going on a Disney Cruise at least once a year.

When we lived in L.A., every 4-6 weeks to DL/DCA (back then, AP's were $180). Now that we are back East, we try and get back and visit friends and DL (for a day) year or two.

We love DL, only like WDW, and find WDW to be a bigger hassle with all the transportation nightmares, rude guests, pre-planning, etc. We average every 3 years, it takes two years to recover before we'll even think about another trip. I agree with some others, we go to Hawaii, Europe, etc. instead of WDW.

I'm local to the Disneyland Resort, so I think I have every other weekend (was just there last Saturday with Nancy (co-podcaster :) ). Sometimes I'm there every weekend if something new pops up or friends pop in.

I visit WDW usually when there is a DIS podcast event. I was there in March for a webmaster meeting, so, of course, went into the parks, and going again in December for a couple of days before the podcast cruise. I usually spend my non-DIS vacations at other spots (Yosemite, family visits, etc.)

Since 2012 I have gone once per year to Disneyland/DCA.

May 2012
July 2013
December 2014
October 2015
October 2016 (upcoming)

I would probably go more often honestly but I am afraid to fly so we have to make the long drive from Seattle in order to go! That only lends itself to about one trip per year.

Prior to 2012 the last time I had been was with my parents & siblings back in the late 90's for a spring break trip.

Spent a week in Anaheim/LA and did 4 days in DL/DCA while also fitting in SeaWorld and Universal with my sister and her family. First time I had been since I was 5 years old and I had a blast. I thought I'd tag along and help out with the kids (ages 5 and 4) but I had just as much fun as they did, if not more. Now they're planning a trip back when Star Wars land is done since the nephews are really into Star Wars right now but that seems like it's what 4 years away?

Just curious how often everyone here visits. I don't know if I can afford to go every year but every other year may be something I consider. I fly down from the BC interior if that matters so it's not that bad to California

We're in Victoria, BC and we try to do 2 trips a year, although we did 2 DL and 1 WDW trip in 2015 so we are only going to DL once in 2016.

DLR once a week or once every other week. WDW obviously not as frequently, maybe every 4 years. All of my WDW visits have been with my family however, 2017's tentative trip will be my first Big Kid trip. :teeth:

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter