How NOT to Win Friends and Influence People

Barb
That puts it so well - I think I will use it with my class tomorrow.
Thanks
Wendy

Barb,

I am in awe of your wisdom.:eek: Now I know what I can talk about at the water cooler tomorrow.

Thanks;)

Originally posted by LG123
If it weren't for the rude and obnoxious we wouldn't have anything to laugh about or at. Have you ever noticed that when confronted with rude people that there are many around us just rolling their eyes? Guess it goes to show that most of us know what is rude and what is not. I have been tempted to be rude right back to some of these people I encounter but that is just not me. Instead, my DH has to hear about it for days!

I know what you mean. I'm kind of with the "just try to ignore it" group, mainly because most of the time I have my three children in tow, and I want to model (or attempt to, at least) better behavior than whatever it is that "The person you're stuck with at dinner" is displaying. I try to be very conscious of the fact that my children will learn more by what I do than what I say. Not to say that massive eye-rolling does not occur.

Brenda

Originally posted by FantasticDisFamily
Oh my, the truest definition of "ugly American" I could think of. Too bad he had to be one of "us". :(

Deb

Absolutely on the mark, Deb!

Some of "us" aren't really "us", they are just disguised! Or maybe should stay under their rock.

Rae

Originally posted by LG123
If it weren't for the rude and obnoxious we wouldn't have anything to laugh about or at. Have you ever noticed that when confronted with rude people that there are many around us just rolling their eyes? Guess it goes to show that most of us know what is rude and what is not. I have been tempted to be rude right back to some of these people I encounter but that is just not me. Instead, my DH has to hear about it for days!

Are we related, Lori?!!

Rae

I think we must be, Rae. Maybe I can compain to you about the rude people! My DH would probably appreciate that!

I'll bet they had their hands full cleaning up when the cute toddler threw her food all over the floor. I used to tip more when the kids were small, the servers certainly had just as much if not more work with the little ones.

I just hope the kids doesn't grow up thinking she's too cute to have pay for life.

Eye RN-
You beat me to it! I was going to say the same thing-when my kids were smaller-and were getting out of hand, or messier than usual, we would tip more.
Even on the plane, I would apologize, if it was a tough flight. But usually they were very good(we brought alot of stuff to keep them busy).
Anyway, the sad thing about that rude guy is that he unfortunatley is teaching his child(ren) that that is how people should act!

Rae
leaving tomorrow for the Magic!!:Pinkbounc

Barb if I didn't know what I do on the2 missing baskets - I would have said this is the guy that kept them - only one thing - wrong sailing date - sometimes we have to ask ourselves what makes this type of person - greed or just plain mean - both add up to losers in the end.
So glad we had time to spend chatting. luv ya guys mucho.
Til next time
Always
Shirley

Originally posted by inkkognito
in Cozumel I was joking en espanol with our driver about the American tourist weaving his scooter in and out of traffic with no helmet on his head but with a helmet dangling from each of his feet!

Barb, That reminds me of the same day last week when we were in Cozumel also (in a cab coming abck from Mr. Sanchos), we saw a Mexican family on a scooter. I really mean a whole family. Mother, Father, Toddler in between them and the Mother on the back "carrying/dangling" a BABY from her left arm. We nervously laughed and I made a comment something like "kind of like Michael Jackson". The cab driver laughed and then so did we all.

It was really a sight to see!

Sorry about that jerk you had to share a cab with! I think I would have made a comment that we would wait for the next cab, as I wouldn't want to share a cab with this idiot!;)

VAL

Just wait until the cute, little toddler goes to school and doesn't do her homework. Do you think Daddy will come up with some obnoxious excuse?

Well spoken..................I knew before I looked at your profile that you too are a teacher. I kept thinking this guy's kids (hopefully not) are going to grow up thinking the world owes them a favor as well! We see this a lot in our profession. Fortunately the good kids outweigh the "obnoxious" ones, but one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch!

Imagine being in the hospitality industry (my husband and I both are) and then having a grandfather and his wife who are NIGHTMARES to servers. My husband haseen a GM for a steakhouse for 5 years and we both have been servers/bartenders. I am now an asst. food & beverage mgr. for a golf course. So we've encountered these types often. Having said that--I know what the job entails and I always treat people who are waiting on me w/ respect. So imagine the horror I felt when we had Thanksgiving dinner 2 1/2 years ago at the Vero Beach Disney resort and my grandfather asked the server (keep in mind she's working on a holiday) what kind of merlot they had. When she responded they just had a cab. sav., he raked HER over the coals, along with the help of his disgusting wife. We had 3 large tables as it was my sisters wedding weekend and all the family was there. Everyone heard and the poor server had to feel scared. Well--being in that same industry I told him to leave her alone, etc. The 2 morons proceeded to go through to lovely buffet line (probably pushing past people) and I sat at the table a nervous wreck crying and apologizing to the server for their actions. They do this kind of stuff everywhere and it disgusts me. Let me say a few things to people who think that their server/bartender/room attendant/mgr. etc. (anyone in a service position) is beneath them:
1) These are PEOPLE. We work hard too. And can make just as good money as other jobs. (hubbie & I made well over $100,000 last year--think we're low lifes now??)
2) We REMEMBER customers who have treated us well AND those who have not. Can you guess which group will get their meal comp'd from time to time by my husband?? Sure, my grandfather gets free stuff too--but everyone hates him in the process. I like it when my server is happy to see me at our regular restaurant. Why do you think everyone loves Barb & Tony??? They're regulars who treat people awesome!
3) Like someone else wrote--what goes around, comes around. Please, please, please--treat your server/bartender/room steward, taxi driver,etc. like you would your family (that is--if you like your family). You never know when your son or daughter might pick up a job like this--even if it is just to get through college. You wouldn't want to think of someone treating them bad, would you???
4) Lastly--the customer isn't ALWAYS right. As soon as someone curses at me, uses foul language while talking to me, or insults me, one of my employees, or the establishment-- I have the right to kick you out AND ban you from the place. And if you refuse to leave--one quick call to the police dept. and you're hating life!

In conclusion--that man in the taxi, thank goodness, is the exception. Let's all learn a lesson from Barb's story and think before we treat someone who is trying to make a living like they're an idiot. Also--if someone tells you your child will cost $3.00 that means----YOUR CHILD COSTS $3.00!!!!!!!!!

I was telling DH about this thread and the one about the missing "baskets" last night at dinner. After shaking his head over the troubles poor Shirley had to endure and wondering if it was 4Nana's family that had the problem, then commenting on Barb & Tony's class in holding their tongues (I think he was hinting at me :rolleyes: ) he said - well dear, be thankful there are so many people like this in the world. I call it job security. They stay on that track eventually my collegeus or I see them...OR their "darling" children.

(FYI - he is a law enforcement officer!)

Deb

walking back with his family, so those of you who could afford the $3.00 could be on your way. It's a shame that someone so short sighted has to cause so much grief for everyone else.

Well, I have to jump back in on this. As I inferred, I am a teacher and in our school we are seeing more and more of this sort of illogical behavior. We have been saying to ourselves, that one day these children will get arrested and then "Mommy won't be able to manipulate the system." (In this case Daddy.) Oftentimes, I feel as though the child could be saved but since we aren't getting cooperation from the parents the child gets worse and worse.

Basic manners are not difficult. I remember when my children were young and the travel bills got higher and higher as they aged. However, I feel that the memories I have shared with my kids are a wonderful investment in our time together. Obviously, this man doesn't "get it."

Have a nice day everyone!:jester:

bnickle3 aka Brenda...

As no one else had commented, I just had to say that your story had me laughing... a sad but true rendition of how some people really see themselves and their place in the world.

I also have to agree with Cruise about paying to get the guy to shut up... but I would have paid $50 ;)

(Thanks to you too Barb, for sharing the experience.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter