How much extra $$ should I consider?

We often do laundry at Disney so we always bring laundry detergent (Arm N Hammer pods) with us. The (Arm N Hammer) Pods take up very little space in the luggage and they are not liquid. We also bring Bounce Free dryer sheets. (We always check out the laundry products at home first to make sure there are no skin sensitivities or negative reactions to additives in the laundry products.)

Personally, I found the DDP provided more than enough food/snacks with the 1 snack credit per person per day. I don't know what your appetites are like, but sometimes I found I just couldn't eat the dessert-- from being too full from the meal. They were allowing a little more leeway on my last visit (in Oct) where you could substitute an appetizer for the dessert. Quite often DH and I will share a dessert.

Last edited:
We often do laundry at Disney so we always bring laundry detergent (Arm N Hammer pods) with us. The (Arm N Hammer) Pods take up very little space in the luggage and they are not liquid. We also bring Bounce Free dryer sheets. (We always check out the laundry products at home first to make sure there are no skin sensitivities or negative reactions to additives in the laundry products.)

Personally, I found the DDP provided more than enough food/snacks with the 1 snack credit per person per day. I don't know what your appetites are like, but sometimes I found I just couldn't eat the dessert-- from being too full from the meal. They were allowing a little more leeway on my last visit (in Oct) where you could substitute an appetizer for the dessert. Quite often DH and I will share a dessert.

Thank you. I hear mixed reviews of DDP.
I personally think we'll be okay. I just have to make sure that my DD gets enough fruits to go through the days.

I really hope that they can also substitute an appetizer. I'm much more an appetizer person than the dessert person.

I'd budget maybe $100 for the unexpected. For example, I got a raging head cold once at Disney and needed medication they don't sell in the park. I had to special order it from a delivery pharmacy. I hadn't planned for that.

I agree with this. I think you need some kind of Stuff Not Planned For budget. There always seems to be something different each trip. We are really big planners / organizers, but something always comes up. Someone gets hurt, gets sick, forgets to pack something important, etc. We've had dr visits, hospital visits. We've bought medicine, a thermometer, ponchos, shoes, electric cords and converters, batteries, sunglasss, hats, water, and who knows what else that has been forgotten, lost, or broken over the years on trips. We were rained out one time, stuck in the hotel as it was flooding out, and spent money in the hotel's activity room on arts and crafts the girls wanted to do. You just never know what will come up.

The other thing to think about is the souvenirs. I'm not saying increase the budget, just make sure you are factoring in all the different types of souvenirs out there. I know you said you aren't big on shopping, but I feel like we've spent lots of money on souvenirs that didn't necessarily come from a gift shop. Lanyards, pin trading, balloons, glow in the dark accessories for night time shows, ride pictures, and personalized items - these are a few of the types of non-giftshop stuff we have spent money on over the years. There are carts and vendors everywhere.

I agree with this. I think you need some kind of Stuff Not Planned For budget. There always seems to be something different each trip. We are really big planners / organizers, but something always comes up. Someone gets hurt, gets sick, forgets to pack something important, etc. We've had dr visits, hospital visits. We've bought medicine, a thermometer, ponchos, shoes, electric cords and converters, batteries, sunglasss, hats, water, and who knows what else that has been forgotten, lost, or broken over the years on trips. We were rained out one time, stuck in the hotel as it was flooding out, and spent money in the hotel's activity room on arts and crafts the girls wanted to do. You just never know what will come up.

The other thing to think about is the souvenirs. I'm not saying increase the budget, just make sure you are factoring in all the different types of souvenirs out there. I know you said you aren't big on shopping, but I feel like we've spent lots of money on souvenirs that didn't necessarily come from a gift shop. Lanyards, pin trading, balloons, glow in the dark accessories for night time shows, ride pictures, and personalized items - these are a few of the types of non-giftshop stuff we have spent money on over the years. There are carts and vendors everywhere.

Yeah, one trip, we forgot a bug spray, so ended up buying one at the resort in Dominican Republic paying $15!

Thank you so much about your comments on souvenirs. But really, when it comes to shopping, we hate it. We do it every 2 years - just because we both are working. Last time I bought a toy for my DD was 10 months ago and have only shopped for her clothing 5 times in the past 3.5 years (from pregnancy till now and we have some hands-me-downs.) 4 years ago, when we went to Disney, DH and I bought bride and groom mickey hats from Disney and that was it. And don't get me wrong. I am a die-hard Pooh bear fan. I have at least 5 pooh related items in every room in my house!
Anyways, my DD doesn't quite know what 'shopping' is other than the grocery shopping and thinks the stuff in the Store belongs to someone else, not to her. So she rarely asks for anything.
This will be our 7th family trip (we try to do at least 2 times a year) and we haven't bought any souvenirs from the trips. I have already picked up a few Disney t-shirts, which is totally out of norm for us!

But we really want to get her a mickey hat (she has a minnie headband type, but I think hats are easier) and have her get her first haircut at MK and may add Memory maker. So, that's an extra expense that I will be adding!

I'd leave at least $50 to $100 for things you forgot (rain ponchos, sunscreen, batteries, etc), just in case. Is it your daughter's first time? There's nothing like seeing a little toddler carrying around their first stuffed Mickey. And I know you say you don't like to shop, but it's kind of hard to resist some of the gift shops, especially if your little one sees things. I'd budget a bit more for souvenirs.

I'd leave at least $50 to $100 for things you forgot (rain ponchos, sunscreen, batteries, etc), just in case. Is it your daughter's first time? There's nothing like seeing a little toddler carrying around their first stuffed Mickey. And I know you say you don't like to shop, but it's kind of hard to resist some of the gift shops, especially if your little one sees things. I'd budget a bit more for souvenirs.

Sure. I will consider that.

Yes, it is her first time and we'll be bringing mickey stuff from home. --> pooh plates and forks, minnie mouse cup, her bell dress with wand and shoes, ariel dress, stuffed minnie.
I hope she doesn't asks for other things.. She has been good so far, but kids change day to day.
We're in Canada, so given the FX rate, we'd rather shop here and bring them instead of buying them there. :(

Hi all,

Thank you so much for helping me plan!
We ended up doing so much better than we have originally planned.

Here are my final numbers:

* Airport parking: $90 or Hotel the night before: $110 (includes breakfast) --> $110 (stayed overnight and was a better option!)
* Tip: $200 --> $130 (we had $50 GC that we used toward the tips, so it would have been $180. We tipped 18% for the most part, some more, some less depends on the service.)
* CRT: $76 (other half is using TS credit) --> $0. Used 2 TS as we had a lot of QS meals left over.
* Milk/extra snacks: $50 --> $15 didn't have to buy any extra snacks. We actually couldn't use all our snack credits (just 3 left on the last day)
* Souvenirs (if any - we hate shopping and most of the Disney stuff, we'll get from home): $100 --> $0. As expected. We bought some stuff from home (Canada) and brought with us. The only thing that my DD wanted was a bubble maker (Frozen one) and we were going to buy her that, but she was okay with a dollar store bubble that we brought from home. So yeah...
* Laundry: $5 --> $6 Did 2 load of laundry, but hung them dry in the room. Didn't have time to wait for the dryer.

I know it is different from a family to a family. But I wanted to share with you and thank you for all your input!

Last edited:

I really hope that they can also substitute an appetizer. I'm much more an appetizer person than the dessert person.

It never hurts to ask, but from others reports of the dining plan, it is a near zero chance this is going to happen.

Edit: oops- I see you are back already? So- did they substitute for you?

It never hurts to ask, but from others reports of the dining plan, it is a near zero chance this is going to happen.

Edit: oops- I see you are back already? So- did they substitute for you?

Hi!

I think some places did, but not all. The Wave said they can give us house salad instead. We thought there was an option for an ice cream for dessert, so we said we'll get 2 desserts, but they haven't got much selection.
At Le Chef de France, we got 3-course meal that they had and I think they said no substitution, so it worked out okay.
Rest, they were all buffet, so I had a lot of salad and fruits. :)

I'm glad it all worked out! Sounds like you had a great time! We don't spend a whole lot on extras either but sometimes my husband isn't always on board with the budget. And we haven't traveled anywhere since his diagnosis of food allergies.

I'm glad it all worked out! Sounds like you had a great time! We don't spend a whole lot on extras either but sometimes my husband isn't always on board with the budget. And we haven't traveled anywhere since his diagnosis of food allergies.

Yes! Thank you for your help. :)
I was quite surprised that how little snack we needed. The portion was big!!!

:( Is his allergy severe?

He has allergies to wheat, peanuts, and shrimp that may cause swelling of the esophagus. He had food stuck in his esophagus and had to have a scope to push it through. A biopsy and a blood test indicated the allergy. Makes it hard to eat out.

I'm from Canada too, so I get not wanting to exchange too much cash! I have about $500 or so cash and then plenty of room on the credit card that doesn't card the extra 2.5% foreign transaction fee. I charged on the magic band mostly and pay it off each day at the front desk. Last year I had $650 US cash and $1500 CAD available in my bank account of trip money, $160 CAD on a Starbucks card from Airmiles and a few thousand$$$ of room on my credit card. I came back with $60 US cash and about $300 CAD left over after paying our credit card charges. We are a family of 3 (DH, Myself & DD7). We were there Nov 2015 for 7 park days, and we did not have the dining plan. We paid for all meals out of pocket. We never bought breakfast, just ate cereal, and muffins from home. I did buy a 2l container of milk from the hotel cafeteria. We did 2 table service meals the whole trip, and DH & I shared most counter service meals as the portions were HUGE. I did 2 loads of laundry that cost about $10 to wash and dry but I always bring my own detergent and dyer sheets..

He has allergies to wheat, peanuts, and shrimp that may cause swelling of the esophagus. He had food stuck in his esophagus and had to have a scope to push it through. A biopsy and a blood test indicated the allergy. Makes it hard to eat out.

:( It sounds very bad. Yes, it is tough with food allergy. I hope he gets better (I know some allergies, you get better over time. Not sure if his is one of them). :(

I'm from Canada too, so I get not wanting to exchange too much cash! I have about $500 or so cash and then plenty of room on the credit card that doesn't card the extra 2.5% foreign transaction fee. I charged on the magic band mostly and pay it off each day at the front desk. Last year I had $650 US cash and $1500 CAD available in my bank account of trip money, $160 CAD on a Starbucks card from Airmiles and a few thousand$$$ of room on my credit card. I came back with $60 US cash and about $300 CAD left over after paying our credit card charges. We are a family of 3 (DH, Myself & DD7). We were there Nov 2015 for 7 park days, and we did not have the dining plan. We paid for all meals out of pocket. We never bought breakfast, just ate cereal, and muffins from home. I did buy a 2l container of milk from the hotel cafeteria. We did 2 table service meals the whole trip, and DH & I shared most counter service meals as the portions were HUGE. I did 2 loads of laundry that cost about $10 to wash and dry but I always bring my own detergent and dyer sheets..

Which card do you use?
I just used my US visa card.

We also did breakfast in the room too! Just bought 1/2 gallon milk as well. :)

Did all 3 of you share 2 CS meals? or 1 CS meal?

To be frank, I didn't find their CS(or QS) portion big. Maybe because we had to share our meal with our 2.5 yr old girl, who normally eats a lot, but yeah.
It was never enough for us to share and didn't made us full if we were to share 1 CS, except couple of places like Flame Tree BBQ.
So we ended up adding extras (using a snack credit) or buying 2 CS meals. Or eating late morning snack and 1 CS meal, and afternoon snack before we go for TS dinner.

Which card do you use?
I just used my US visa card.

We also did breakfast in the room too! Just bought 1/2 gallon milk as well. :)

Did all 3 of you share 2 CS meals? or 1 CS meal?

To be frank, I didn't find their CS(or QS) portion big. Maybe because we had to share our meal with our 2.5 yr old girl, who normally eats a lot, but yeah.
It was never enough for us to share and didn't made us full if we were to share 1 CS, except couple of places like Flame Tree BBQ.
So we ended up adding extras (using a snack credit) or buying 2 CS meals. Or eating late morning snack and 1 CS meal, and afternoon snack before we go for TS dinner.

I used my Sears Mastercard as it had no foreign transaction fees. DH & I shared 1 adult meal most times and DD7 got a kids pack, so 3 people eating 2 meals. It was really hot when we were there which helped as neither of us were extremely hungry at mealtimes. We sometimes ate because we "should" have lunch or dinner not because we were starving. But we did have a snack in the late afternoon as well too, which was also shared/ We drank lots of water as it was so hot which may have filled us up too.

I used my Sears Mastercard as it had no foreign transaction fees. DH & I shared 1 adult meal most times and DD7 got a kids pack, so 3 people eating 2 meals. It was really hot when we were there which helped as neither of us were extremely hungry at mealtimes. We sometimes ate because we "should" have lunch or dinner not because we were starving. But we did have a snack in the late afternoon as well too, which was also shared/ We drank lots of water as it was so hot which may have filled us up too.

I didn't know Sears MC don't have foreign transaction fees. That's very convenient!
I work for the bank, so I get preferred exchange rate, so I normally get US dollars when it's slightly lower and just use US visa card.

I see. For us, 2 adult meals were good portion for 3 of us. But I must admit snacks were HUGE and very sweet, too. :O
Yeah, I think it could be the heat. You tend to lose appetite when it is hot. For us, we went in Dec and I always have to eat on-time (brain is programmed in that way), so that doesn't help either. lol.

If you can stick to that budget I give you props. There is no chance we could do that. I always try to budget for our trips and we always go over so I always make sure I have at least $1000 just in case my wife decides she needs 3 Dooney purses while we are there :)

If you can stick to that budget I give you props. There is no chance we could do that. I always try to budget for our trips and we always go over so I always make sure I have at least $1000 just in case my wife decides she needs 3 Dooney purses while we are there :)

Oh. I already came back and spent less than expected. ;-)

It's notorious that drying clothes seem to take forever... hanging them means give them 2 days likely not Overnite. If u use a dryer, clean the filter.
Enjoy ur trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter